Skip to content

Release FAQ

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited March 2016
    Dee said:

Ah, that makes sense. That sounds like a report-worthy bug, then; but I do have a question:

Is Parda, in that screenshot you posted, speaking to your protagonist, or to your second character?

As a follow-up: does that distinction matter to you?

He is speaking to the protagonist, the other character was left in the building.

I actually think it's a neat touch having separate dialogue for the protagonist or any other party member. But in both BGs most NPCs address your main character by default when you're playing single-player and I don't think that should change when you add a character or two of your own devising. Especially so when it means you get a much skinnier conversation. If Imoen had been the one leaving the building, she would be addressed as the PC. In a multi-player game (or apparently, single-player Create Party game), noone gets addressed as the PC.
    JuliusBorisovGrammarsalad
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Yeah, that does sound like a bug. Although in the case of Candlekeep, the only way you could historically have more than one character is if you were in multiplayer. The dialogue may have been scripted to look for multiple characters, rather than detect multiplayer in general.

But do report it, definitely!
    JuliusBorisov
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Dee, @Silverstar It looks to me like this behavior of Parda (and Karan) you are discussing is intentional. The trigger for him delivering this alternate line is "NumInPartyGT(1)" which means it is programmed to happen when there is more than one party member. That said, however, I wouldn't mind seeing the dialog changed to something a little more personal. In any case I would think the report on redmine that you made would be better classified as a feature rather than a bug (not that it is really up to me).
    Tresset said:

@Dee, @Silverstar It looks to me like this behavior of Parda (and Karan) you are discussing is intentional. The trigger for him delivering this alternate line is "NumInPartyGT(1)" which means it is programmed to happen when there is more than one party member. That said, however, I wouldn't mind seeing the dialog changed to something a little more personal. In any case I would think the report on redmine that you made would be better classified as a feature rather than a bug (not that it is really up to me).

It's definitely intentional from vanilla, but this is also the first time you've got the ability to have multiple characters in your party during the prologue without it being a multiplayer game.

However you classify it, it's worth us looking at it (even if it doesn't get changed in this update).
    TressetGrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
    Dee said:

Tresset said:

Dee, Silverstar It looks to me like this behavior of Parda (and Karan) you are discussing is intentional. The trigger for him delivering this alternate line is "NumInPartyGT(1)" which means it is programmed to happen when there is more than one party member. That said, however, I wouldn't mind seeing the dialog changed to something a little more personal. In any case I would think the report on redmine that you made would be better classified as a feature rather than a bug (not that it is really up to me).

It's definitely intentional from vanilla, but this is also the first time you've got the ability to have multiple characters in your party during the prologue without it being a multiplayer game.

However you classify it, it's worth us looking at it (even if it doesn't get changed in this update).
    Not used Redmine bug reporting system before this, so not all clear on which is what and stuff. I'll leave it be in current state I think. Bit disappointed it isn't actually a bug though as this one's irked me for years.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

Dee said:

Tresset said:

Dee, Silverstar It looks to me like this behavior of Parda (and Karan) you are discussing is intentional. The trigger for him delivering this alternate line is "NumInPartyGT(1)" which means it is programmed to happen when there is more than one party member. That said, however, I wouldn't mind seeing the dialog changed to something a little more personal. In any case I would think the report on redmine that you made would be better classified as a feature rather than a bug (not that it is really up to me).

Not used Redmine bug reporting system before this, so not all clear on which is what and stuff. I'll leave it be in current state I think. Bit disappointed it isn't actually a bug though as this one's irked me for years.
    I think this could easily be a bug, actually, for the new create your own party feature.

I get that you might be unfamiliar with redmine reporting, but it actually seems to be a pretty simple process.

Just, go here:

http://redmine.beamdog.com

Click register. Fill out all required fields, and you are in. Then... I'm not quite sure as I haven't posted there except to support a feature request. Not a beta tester...
    JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    They'll probably wait until the beta ends so that they can do it in one fell swoop instead of doing multiple passes.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Am I right in thinking we should report not only bugs specific to the 2.0 update, but also any new bugs we find in the game, even if they existed in the game since the early days?

Do wrong behaviour that existed in vanilla games influence the "feature" status of issues instead of the "bug" one?

These are general questions, and I also can link http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/21191 as an example of an issue changed from a bug to a feature in this context.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited March 2016
    bengoshi said:

Am I right in thinking we should report not only bugs specific to the 2.0 update, but also any new bugs we find in the game, even if they existed in the game since the early days?

Do wrong behaviour that existed in vanilla games influence the "feature" status of issues instead of the "bug" one?

These are general questions, and I also can link http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/21191 as an example of an issue changed from a bug to a feature in this context.

I feel pretty confident asserting that it's reasonable to report all bugs, including those that existed before the patch. :)

...I am not sure whether they should be reported in redmine, or elsewhere, however. But, this seems to be the direction beamdog is going
    I'll check with @Cerevant when he gets in this morning. My gut tells me "Report all of the things", but I also know that QA is trying to get a sense of the update's general stability, and old bugs that didn't come from v2.0 may make that assessment more complicated.

Outside of v2.0's development, though, that issue you reported is almost certainly a bug; the question is what should it be doing, given that it's been like that for Sixteen (Going On Seventeen) years. But at the very least, if you can't identify anything in that store, the Identify screen shouldn't be available, and that's a bug--though maybe not a bug that we'll be fixing with this particular update.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SaulerSauler Member Posts: 100
    edited March 2016
    I have a question for you: how long it will take for update mods compatibility for new patches? And so important thing, patches will have a strong impact on modded game or it will affect only graphic interface and so bug fix?
    Thanks!
    Sauler said:

I have a question for you: how long it will take for update mods compatibility for new patches? And so important thing, patches will have a strong impact on modded game or it will affect only graphic interface and so bug fix?
    Thanks!

This depends entirely on whether a particular mod depended on something that the update altered. But for the most part, you should be able to just reinstall your mods and keep playing. If a mod does need to be updated, hopefully it won't take much time to get it working again; but that's largely dependent on the real-life schedule of the author of that mod.
    Abel
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Yes, report anything you find, regardless of how old it is. If it is a bug in 1.3, please check the known issues lists before reporting (BG:EE, BGII:EE). The items in those lists are already in our internal tracker and do not need to be reported again.

Please don't take it personally if we flag something as a Feature. We are likely going to do this for any change that isn't objectively broken. "It works but it could be better" will likely be classified as a Feature. Feature does not mean "won't fix", it means that we need to consider it carefully so we don't make things worse.
    JuliusBorisovSurvivorIthual
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    rorikonIthualJuliusBorisov
  • jyskjysk Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2016
    So, did you fix the problem in the German version that large parts of the BG2 EE content text strings are not translated? I read nothing of that in the changes thread and you did not even put in the bug list thread after I reported it some time ago in the BG2 EE bug forum forum.

According to the guys in the German forum those strings have been transmitted to Beamdog a long time ago, but not have been implemented in the Game. Those non translated strings are also mostly present if you play a female mainchar, if you play as male most strings are translated (means the problems lies within the dialogueF.tlk where the translated strings are not present).
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Hurricane, do you mind answering @jysk's question?
  • DoktorXDoktorX Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone,

I have a question - haven't seen this one answered anywhere on the forums so hoping I can get an answer here.:)

I'm currently playing through BG:EE and I replaced English audio with Polish voices (obviously the EE content is still in English but that's not the case here). I was wondering what happens when patch 2.0 rolls out on March 31st. Will I be able to play on my old saves with Polish voices implemented or will I have to replace the audio files again (I'm using one of the language packs from the Polish section of these forums - the one that's kinda click to install after extracting it to the game folder). Or will I have to wait for someone to update the language pack because all of the files will be overwritten and thus not compatible with the latest game version? This particular question is about the first part of the game but I'm planning on replaying BG2:EE too so I guess it applies to both games. I'm playing on Steam btw.

Thanks in advance for any clarification you might offer.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I have a question - it seems not all bugs found and known in pre-beta versions of the EEs are fixed in the beta.

Just one example - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/38029 and http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/21725

So, my question is, before I start checking if any bug found and known in terms of pre-beta is fixed or not, should we report these kinds of bugs? Should we report issues that reappear in the beta from the pre-beta versions?
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Yes, if there is a bug that existed before the v2.00 beta's please report them on Redmine.
    Wouldn't it leads to "Dupes" with the internal system?
    bengoshi wrote: »

Before we submit public reports into our internal system, we check to see if they're already in our system.

That being said, if there's a bug report on the forums that already has a bug number attached to it, you don't need to submit it again as a ticket on Redmine unless you're just looking to keep track of it. If you do create a ticket, be sure to include the internal bug number.
    Dee wrote: »

Before we submit public reports into our internal system, we check to see if they're already in our system.

That being said, if there's a bug report on the forums that already has a bug number attached to it, you don't need to submit it again as a ticket on Redmine unless you're just looking to keep track of it. If you do create a ticket, be sure to include the internal bug number.

So, does it mean that if there is a bug that existed before the v2.00 beta's and this bug is currently in the beta, I don't have to report it?
    edited March 2016

So, does it mean that if there is a bug that existed before the v2.00 beta's and this bug is currently in the beta, I don't have to report it?

Correct. It's already in our system; unless you see the bug listed as being fixed, there's no need to report it again.
    JuliusBorisov
    Correct. It's already in our system; unless you see the bug listed as being fixed, there's no need to report it again.
    Here's hoping a fix for 11107 makes it in...

This is what I thought when first asked the question, thank you. Does it mean the final 2.0 version will include fixes to these kinds of bugs?
    Not necessarily. In this home stretch we're focusing on making sure that our update didn't break anything and fixing those issues. There may be some additional fixes that make it in, but I wouldn't count on it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DoktorXDoktorX Member Posts: 3
    Not necessarily. In this home stretch we're focusing on making sure that our update didn't break anything and fixing those issues. There may be some additional fixes that make it in, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sorry to be a pain but I would like to know the answer to my question posted above. Will those imported audio language files be compatible with patch 2.0?:)

edited March 2016
    DoktorX wrote: »

Sorry to be a pain but I would like to know the answer to my question posted above. Will those imported audio language files be compatible with patch 2.0?:)

I meant to answer this earlier. When the update drops, it'll clear your installation folder of any modifications you've made, which includes sound files. If you don't have them backed up, I'd recommend doing so before you update.

EDIT: I just realized you weren't talking about player sounds. I don't recommend backing up your entire data folder to preserve the sound files; if you have the files you used to install the polish audio files on your game, you'll want to reinstall them after the update, just like any other mod.
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    @jysk Yes, our updated German dialogF.tlk will be part of the v2.0 patch, along with many other fixes in the German texts in general. This is me speaking as one of the volunteer translators for the German version.

Note that most text fixes in the translations do not usually show up in the list of fixed bugs for a patch, because there are way too many changes to list them all. Converting the remaining English texts in BGII:EE to German was one of those changes.
    JuliusBorisovSurvivorBelegCuthalion