Skip to content

Sword Coast Legends. Is this the spiritual successor to NWN?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited March 2016
    iKrivetko wrote: »
    And this kids is why you don't make action games out of (supposedly) RPGs.

Depends. The cutscenes from Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone were at least more entertaining than all of the D&D movies combined.

Then again. This theoretically made it already better than Sword Coast Legend.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Yes, i want a good 5th edition game so i can finally play with Dragonborns.
    VallmyrLateralus
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Aedan wrote: »
    Torin wrote: »
    Yea they are dead. And it is a good day as they were crap developers that made a terrible game.

Please, do not write such terrible things. I would like to remind you that many people are unemployed now. Even if you do not like the game, you have no rights to say that they deserved to fail. Show some decency and respect, please.
    I am sorry if you cannot handle the truth. I didn't make them fail, I just shared my feelings about it.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Torin Your feelings aren't the truth.
    AedanShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    FinneousPJ wrote: »
    Steam score, reviews and most of the public think the game was terrible so I would say it is
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Steam score, reviews and most of the public think the game was terrible so I would say it is

Only because it didn't meet people's expectations as a "spiritual successor NWN" - expectations which the company had tried to dispel before the game was released.

It has a number of good features - the graphics engine is pretty good, the NPC characterisation and VO is good, and so on. Someone high up made a poor decision - that D&D was too complicated for the average gamer and they should use a dumbed down diabolo approach - but that is no reason to condemn dozens of employees who probably thought the decision was as stupid as we do.
    AedanShapiroKeatsDarkMage[Deleted User]kanisatha
    edited March 2016
    Fardragon wrote: »

Only because it didn't meet people's expectations as a "spiritual successor NWN" - expectations which the company had tried to dispel before the game was released.

It has a number of good features - the graphics engine is pretty good, the NPC characterisation and VO is good, and so on. Someone high up made a poor decision - that D&D was too complicated for the average gamer and they should use a dumbed down diabolo approach - but that is no reason to condemn dozens of employees who probably thought the decision was as stupid as we do.
    I really don't care for excuses. Everyone bashed it, people didn't buy it, there was a wave of refunds and company went under. Those are facts, you only got excuses.
    I am happy it all went bust, and we can finally get a good D&D game from someone else. I hope their two company owners leave game industry and go plant some corn on fields or something. I also hope same for any of their employees that were talentless hacks and I hope the talented ones get a new job soon.

If a company sold bad cars that broke often and and went bust afterwards people would react the same.
    Artona
    @Torin Maybe you should go cool off for a bit and come back when you're not so emotional.
    [Deleted User]ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    You can't really blame developers for business decisions.
    FardragonShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    I am happy it all went bust, and we can finally get a good D&D game from someone else.

Actually, exactly the opposite is true. If a company goes bust after making a DnD game, it means investors are far less likely to invest in making more DnD games - they look like a bad risk.

On the other hand, if SCL had been successful, other companies would by falling over themselves to make DnD games.

Ever play Hillsfar? SCL is a masterpiece in comparison.
    FinneousPJthe_spyder
    Fardragon wrote: »
    I am happy it all went bust, and we can finally get a good D&D game from someone else.

Actually, exactly the opposite is true. If a company goes bust after making a DnD game, it means investors are far less likely to invest in making more DnD games - they look like a bad risk.

On the other hand, if SCL had been successful, other companies would by falling over themselves to make DnD games.

Ever play Hillsfar? SCL is a masterpiece in comparison.
    If those games would have been as terrible as SCL then no thanks, I don't want 10 more SCL level of non-quality.

Now SoD will have a chance to prove to investors that a GOOD D&D game can bring in sales while a terrible one like SCL cannot.
    FinneousPJ
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    Well, now that the game is probably dead I'm just going to lay out my module (from what I recall of it anyways).

Basically you find a woman who has been murdered. As you progress during the first part of the module it becomes more clear (particularly in the later portions) that she was a member of a cult dedicated to bringing forth Ahazu into the Prime Material world. However, another cult murdered her before she could hand over an important ingredient needed as part of the ritual. That other cult is backed by another demon lord that is trying to prevent Ahazu from gaining power in (primarily) the Abyss.

As you make your way across the Sword Coast you'd gradually piece together the details behind all of this (and it would be clear enough by the end of the first part of the trilogy). You'd also run into some old friends (a much older Daran Highhammer makes an appearance in the first part of the trilogy - he's basically asking for your help to clear out the sewers of Luskan).
    Post edited by elminster on
    FinneousPJBelgarathMTH
    edited March 2016
    Torin said:

Now SoD will have a chance to prove to investors that a GOOD D&D game can bring in sales while a terrible one like SCL cannot.

I would argue that it wasn't a terrible game, it was simply the WRONG game for the market.

Whatever, investors don't play games, or read forums. All they see is Dungeons and Dragons + CRPG = Flop

As for SoD, we still don't know if it will be any good, or if it will sell.
    VallmyrBelgarathMTH
    edited March 2016
    @elminster A bit off topic but have you tried the campaign tools of Divinity OS
    Nope. I didn't even know it had any.
    @elminster I heard it's pretty amazing
    elminster
    Nice!
    FinneousPJ
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Wow, game will be unplayable then? Good business practice i guess.

Also, i'm not sure i want to see another 5th edition D&D game. This edition left me so uninterested, i played it for a good year before i even went back to 3.5.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    3.5/Pathfinder is way more robust for creating characters but requires a lot of suppliment material to work. 5e seems to work fine with just the core book. Want to make a cool Necromancer Cleric/Wizard in 3.5?

Wizard 1 (Precocious Apprentice Feat from the Faerun book), Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 2/True Necromancer 14 and even then this is probably a suboptimal build.

in 5e?
    Wizard 6/Cleric 14

I like 3.5/Pathfinder more as well but if I were to introduce my friends to D&D it'd be with 5e.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Any new official D&D games will have to be 5th edition.

There are a couple of companies (not Beamdog) that seem to be dickering around with the Pathfinder licence, but nothing really promising yet.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Torin said:

Aedan wrote: »

Yea they are dead. And it is a good day as they were crap developers that made a terrible game.

Please, do not write such terrible things. I would like to remind you that many people are unemployed now. Even if you do not like the game, you have no rights to say that they deserved to fail. Show some decency and respect, please.

I am sorry if you cannot handle the truth. I didn't make them fail, I just shared my feelings about it.

I haven't played it and based on the reviews I probably wont (Beamdog and Pillars of Eternity are keeping me plenty satisfied). I was stoked for this game because Dragon Age 1 was/is a GREAT game and DnD 5th Ed is a GREAT gaming system. Not sure how this could have possibly failed?!?
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    brus said:

The pressure is huge for such small studios. I really thought they found the strength to make the game better and meet the player's expectations with Rage of Demons.

What will happen with this content what they've created so far?

The publisher of SCL has said they intend to keep the game servers and the forum alive, and also release the new console versions. No word yet on the RoD expansion.
    FinneousPJ
    Aaaaand after some trouble i have finally managed to get Siege of Dragonspear!
    FinneousPJSylvus_Moonbowmlnevese
    Vallmyr said:

3.5/Pathfinder is way more robust for creating characters but requires a lot of suppliment material to work. 5e seems to work fine with just the core book. Want to make a cool Necromancer Cleric/Wizard in 3.5?

Wizard 1 (Precocious Apprentice Feat from the Faerun book), Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 2/True Necromancer 14 and even then this is probably a suboptimal build.

in 5e?
    Wizard 6/Cleric 14

I like 3.5/Pathfinder more as well but if I were to introduce my friends to D&D it'd be with 5e.

Agree. 5e is more easy to learn compared to Pathfinder, also a problem i have with 3rd edition is that it relies too much on multi classing.

FinneousPJ

Aaaaand after some trouble i have finally managed to get Siege of Dragonspear!

But i can't find Annon's cobalt.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage

Read the spoilers :)

It's in a container in the room you go to when you climb the rope.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited April 2016

a problem i have with 3rd edition is that it relies too much on multi classing.

The problem I have with other editions is that they don't :\
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    edited May 2016
    ^ ''yaaaaaay'' >_>
    Vallmyr
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Is rage any good? Did this game turn good now?