Skip to content

User Ratings on Metacritic (*SPOILERS*)

PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
Congrats, everyone – we might not get future BG content because people are actively trying to tank this game. If you've actually PLAYED SoD, I would strongly encourage you leave a review of your own.
Post edited by Dee on
dockaboomskicraymond727InsultionArdulDaevelonbooinyoureyesGorstak[Deleted User]

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Have we got proof it's actually about the priest thing?

To be blunt honest, I haven't found the gameplay very very interesting. It's me vs an entire encampment of enemies over and over. And half the time they're neutral and I have no idea why.
    Envygames
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    I'm afraid the rating might get even lower. Why would anyone do that? I don't get it.
    Illustair[Deleted User]
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265

And half the time they're neutral and I have no idea why.

Then you aren't paying much attention to the game. Maybe that's your problem.
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    edited April 2016
    Purudaya said:

Congrats, everyone – we might not get future BG content because people are actively trying to tank this game. If you've actually PLAYED SoD, I would strongly encourage you leave a review of your own.

Yeah I fear that is true. I see a bit of desperation in Trent's post about posting positive reviews. I'm guessing WIzards of the Coast is waiting to see how they do with this one before letting them do any new games for them. They are worried all the negative reviews will derail that(along with the buggy state it was released in).
    Quartzjohntyl
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Tenrecc said:

And half the time they're neutral and I have no idea why.

Then you aren't paying much attention to the game. Maybe that's your problem.
    You are very right. Though if a seasoned bg lover like me can get lost this easily, I'm afraid what it could be for newer players.
    TotenglockeValchrist
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    Turn a liability into an advantage whenever you can. (c)
    Boo smells injustice served, and possibly - just possibly - it could be made to lead to a favorable outcome.
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    bleusteel said:

This too shall pass.

Indeed.
    joluvbleusteel
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    And yet some justify that the complaints are not primarily/solely because of the politics or agenda.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Purudaya said:

I highly doubt WotC would torpedo Beamdog's chance of creating BG3 because of early user review scores. They will probably use internal goal targets and other tangibles to determine if the company is responsible enough with their IP to continue making games.

I also say this when ever any game gets released and starts off getting negative reviews.

Those who are not enjoying the game will come on first and explain why they do not enjoy it. They lose interest in it, feel ripped off and want to prevent other people from this feeling as soon as possible.
    Players that are engaged in a game and not experiencing any difficulties won't stop playing it to write a comprehensive review on why they are enjoying it. Those reviews, as well as reviews that are well balanced come later.

sparkleavIthual
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
    Illustair said:

And yet some justify that the complaints are not primarily/solely because of the politics or agenda.

Justify seems exactly what it is. SoD is not perfect but 0/10 means pretty much "I haven't played or bought the game but I hate it for my own reasons. Let me justify myself: "multiplayer, bugs, writing", that's what the other guys said, right?"
    Illustairsparkleav
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    What is annoying is that others CLOUD that the primary/sole reason for the entire mess is the inclusion of LGBT content, the political agenda as they call it. They conveniently put reasons like buggy (which is concededly a valid complaint that needs to be addressed) and then talk about almost entirely against the political agenda, then excuse the same that oh it is not about our anti stance but rather on the bad writing. Really? Many have already admitted here that it is because of the anti stance. Even assuming that the presentation or how it was executed in 1, 2 or a few lines were misplaced, does it already equate for bad writing for the ENTIRE GAME that would warrant a score of 0 to 1 out of 10?

Not related but I'm a bit shock with a certain review that because SoD is fully voiced, it is out out of place, it doesn't fit in the BG world where voice acting is minimal. Seriously, that's your problem?
    Delwa
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641

Have we got proof it's actually about the priest thing?

To be blunt honest, I haven't found the gameplay very very interesting. It's me vs an entire encampment of enemies over and over. And half the time they're neutral and I have no idea why.

I'll address this specifically since I'm taking an absolute "no comment" position on anything related to the hubub happening around here this afternoon.

I would like to know how you've missed a large portion of the game story. I'm going to spoiler the next part of my commentary only because it's my policy not to give anything away on the game.

* There is no "encampment" in chapter 7.
    * The only "encampment" in chapter 8 is pre-coast way crossing, and I don't suspect you're talking about this.
    * This leads us to Chapter 9, the first place where you really get involved with/engaged with the Crusade. I assume you're talking about being able to walk through the crusade encampment unmolested here? There are a couple comments I'll address below.
    * Then there's Chapter 10 where your quest takes you both to the Castle of Dragonspear and to the entrance to the Underground Cavern. Both of these I'll address below also.
    * From chapter 11 on, there's no encounters with the crusade that's "friendly".

Generally
    You're in medieval times, it's not as if you've been photographed and put up on the internet for the world to see. The VAST MAJORITY of the crusade and the entire sword coast wouldn't recognize you from Adam unless you introduce yourself.

And...in many cases you have the opportunity to do exactly that. In some of those cases, the NPC's refuse to believe you (such as out front of the Crusade Encampment). I mean, after all, who the hell is suicidal enough to walk up to the enemy encampment and simply ANNOUNCE they're the dreaded person that everyone is looking for?

In other cases, announcing yourself does, indeed, provoke the reaction you can expect from you doing so...You're who? GET HIM!...in many cases starting mass combat.

Chapter 9
    So lets talk chapter 9 specifically. You can meet crusaders trapped in cells in the Temple of Cyric. Were you in that scenario, would you really care who it was saving you?

You can also meet crusaders out front of the encampment. Maybe this is the most egregious place, but by this point your reputation isn't such that you're one to walk up to someone and say "hey, i know you have an ARMY full of armed people, behind those walls, but i'm the dude you've all been fighting this entire war to get ahold of...just, wanted to let you know!"

Once you get past those guards at the gate, you have Caelar's Seal...an item that ONLY people who follow Caelar carry. Ok, maybe it's naive of the crusade to think that anyone with a seal is one of them (addressed in chapter 10) but please remember how this crusade is coming together: Caelar is marching through towns and farms and cities, burning them to the ground, killing and looting as most mob armies do, and conscripting people or persuading them to join her cause. People are flocking to her banner left, right and sideways. As a member of that camp even says: They're getting recruits faster than they can know who they're getting.

Sure you're wandering around the encampment without being questioned...so is everyone else. It's not as if you're an armed guy in an unarmed encampment, this is an ARMY you're one of THOUSANDS.

AND to top that off there IS even an encounter you can trigger within the encampment in chapter 9 that DOES give you away, you ARE recognized and it DOES start the battle...I am trying to figure out where we missed the boat here

Chapter 10
    That brings us to chapter 10. UGR is the same story as the fort in chapter 9...Caelar's army is just too large and too spread out to know every single individual. It'd be MORE non-sensical if everyone DID know who you were and WAS able to spot you from a mile away. Even the Daggerford and Waterdeep contingent of your OWN ARMY end up addressing you with things like "Oh, so you're the hero of Baldur's Gate huh?"

Dragonspear Castle is another story entirely, but I still believe we've covered our bases writing wise. Unless you feel like the entire sword coast should know you by face on sight, Dragonspear Castle also seems to work for me. By this point the Crusade is busy planning it's attack and it's not ready to just let anyone into the castle...the front gate stops you and will not let you enter unless you are ALREADY one of Caelar's chosen...again, identifying that the crusade is getting more cautious.

That said, if you have the seal you are still able to identify yourself as one of Caelar's faithful and be let in...but again, you're in under cover...and there are more places where you can trip yourself up.

I'm really interested in your opinion of what you missed in the story that didn't catch you as to why you're allowed to walk free in Caelar's Encampments. The story elements are there (or at least we feel they are). How should we / should we have made it clear that you're simply an unrecognized person?

Or do you feel after spending all your time around Baldur's Gate in BG1 that your face and name should be on the eyes and lips up and down the entire sword coast? (Not intended to be sarcastic, if that's your opinion I'd like to hear that).
    AbellansounetSkatan
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Damn, forgot to summon: @SirBatince
    Illydth said:

A Single post in ANY Thread talking about this part of the game has MORE LGBTQ CONTENT in it than the ENTIRE SOD GAME DOES.

I personally don't really care what your motivation is or your opinion on that content, you're entitled to whatever opinion you carry. I just find it utterly absurd that in 50 hours of game play we're holding 30 and 50 page discussions and spawning thread after thread after thread of arguments and hate over what amounts to somewhere around 1/10000'th of the content of the game?

Welcome to the internet?
    jankiel
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    Do people actually look at metacritic user rating when deciding to buy a game? reviews are mostly all 0s or 10s. I see it all the time when a game comes out and just have to filter through the reviews to find ones that at between 4-9.

Same with steam, you just got to look at the top comments if it has bad rating and see there is an agenda. many poor ratings are at a protest at something and don't reflex the quality of the game and can't be taken seriously.
    Insultion
    Zoimos said:

Do people actually look at metacritic user rating when deciding to buy a game? reviews are mostly all 0s or 10s. I see it all the time when a game comes out and just have to filter through the reviews to find ones that at between 4-9.

Same with steam, you just got to look at the top comments if it has bad rating and see there is an agenda. many poor ratings are at a protest at something and don't reflex the quality of the game and can't be taken seriously.

I do, but I weed them out. I only read the ones that have given the game a score in between 4-8. Those ones are usually the ones that list the pros and cons of the game.

The final score means nothing to me, it is what is written in the review that counts.
    InsultionDeltaslayerAstroBryGuy
This discussion has been closed.