Skip to content

My heart is broken :'I

I romanced Rasaad in SoD.
It was lovely and fluffy and charming.

Now I proceeded onwards to BG2 and he doesn't rembember us being a couple.

Not okay. Not okay.

I had hoped that with the new patch something like that would be avoided but meh :/
Hope you are gonna do something about that in the next patch.
JuliusBorisovsparkleavwoowoovoodoojankielHalfOrcBeastmasterTStaelNonnahswriterbooinyoureyesFinnTheHumanFemShep

Comments

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Please, submit a bug report on the redmine.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs
    JuliusBorisov
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    According to @Troodon80 that's not a bug, there simply is no new dialouge in that regard o.o
    So, basically, this is a feature request.
    JuliusBorisovAedanInsultionNonnahswriter
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    It's not unreasonable to assume that it is possible, but there would need to be a considerable number of flags/global variables that need to be set, written and tested and additionally new dialogue written depending on those flags, not going to say it isn't possible but perhaps efforts may be best put elsewhere than on momentary /breaks in immersion/.

Canonically wise, we can argue that your broken, bruised tortured body may have also changed your face - and thus he doesn't recognize you at first and of-course, an amount of time HAS passed since your imprisonment in prologue of SoA
  • minsc4prezminsc4prez Member Posts: 105
    I had the same problem with Neera
    Buttercheese
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Question: Should actions be carrying over from BGEE to SoD?

For instance I killed Dynaheir in my BGEE run. Is this swept under the carpet in SoD? It appears to be so.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    @decado it is, and it is necessary considering the "canon party" in BG2. It must be that they like you enough so that they join you despite not-going-to-say-what, and get captured with you. So if you killed her, or even destroyed her petrified body, in either SoD or BG1 (as I did, too..) you would break "canon".

I don't remember though if there is any line like "Do I know you?" for the "starting party" in SoD, like there is for other known NPCs.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @koteko. That's fine and perfectly understandable. I misunderstood the scope of what would be carried across I guess.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    I think this is even more strange for an evil playthrough were you actively mistreat/hate/kill/betray all five canon members in both BG1 and SoD. I'm going to try it out soon, but I bet the writers skipped over and didn't try to overjustify why those five npcs stuck with you.

Just something we have to live with.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

It's not unreasonable to assume that it is possible, but there would need to be a considerable number of flags/global variables that need to be set, written and tested

I'm sure that isn't inaccurate, but wouldn't it be possible to employ a "dumb" solution (pardon the term) like in Neverwinter Nights? At completion of X quest/story for a companion, you're given Y item with attribute Z based on how you handled it? Then the next chapter (in this case, next game) checks if you have this item when you meet said companion, removes this from your inventory and has the companion react in suitable fashion.

I know what's not a good implementation. I know it would still require quite a bit of work. But I imagine it is at least a realistically viable solution.
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    That's rather disconcerting. I had hoped with SoD they would move towards a smooth transition between all four games. It's really what needs to be done in the long run so we won't have to rely on another Trilogy type mod.
    ButtercheeseCamus34
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    I think it's simply a problem of variables. I don't think they can be imported from game to game.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I think they would have to redo the importing system so you can import a whole save game instead of just the characters.

I noticed there's an "import game" option in BG2EE. Is that it or is the import game just a wrapper for importing main character of a save game? I don't know.

Anyway, it's sure that if you do "new game" then import your character(s) from a save game, global variables won't be accessible at the start of the game and there will be no way to determine your previous choices.
    illathid
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179
    This would not be easily done for the reason GrimLefourbe describes. That said, if Beamdog could work on this, a lot of cohesion could be added to BG2, as well as redundant dialogues about what standing you have with other companions.

In truth, they COULD add a dialogue to Rasaad as soon as you meet him again to note that you were together, a la the aforementioned redundant dialogues.
    Buttercheeseillathid
    edited April 2016
    I'd settle just for a token like was mentioned earlier in NWN that "triggers" a dialogue in BG2 to continue where you left off. Maybe have them give you a special item "in case things go badly" to remember them by and have that be the trigger to continue when you meet again.
    ButtercheeseCamus34
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    @Vyrulisse it could work for a limited number of things but first you would need to have it on your person.(containers can't be imported for the same reasons)

So if there was many, it would be an issue. Having tokens for various quest becomes very messy very quickly. I think it's probably better if it's first mods through a big install like EET then an "import game" function that takes care of useful global variables. It shouldn't be very difficult to just make it work but I think it would require a lot of work to make it work well. (I can see a few possibilities to "hack" it but nothing that would be good)

For now, I think the best hope is on unified games through EET. I don't see that being a priority for Beamdog right now.
    I just hope something comes up be it a mod or a patch that eases the transition. Nothing is more immersion breaking in a romance than having previous events in the romance seem to never happen.
    Buttercheese
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I realize it's huge effort to account for all previous gaming choices, and do not even have a romance to carry over myself for my first playthrough - but I am with Buttercheese here.

Romances are an iconic BW tradition, I like them and I think fans are very happy that this feature has been continued by Beamdog.

This said: we are attached to our romances! Out of all the loose ends, this one really should be tied up with priority!

So I vote with OP: when there is a moment to round things up a bit, please include at least a small first encounter banter that recognizes the romance! "I am happy to see you again, my love" and problem solved.
    Buttercheeseillathid
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    it took until version 1.3 for the ee npcs to acknowledge their bg1 romances. bg2 is not finished patch wise it just got bug fixes and a place folder character record as they did not have to put in the one from bg1 or sod.
    Buttercheesemf2112
  • forumguy5272forumguy5272 Member Posts: 37
    OP is right this isn't ok. If you're going to introduce new things in your in-between expansion that doesn't carry over to the next game, maybe you shouldn't have introduced it.
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 424
    it would be awesome if your romance did carry over.

it also seems a bit "off" when a char starts a dialogue like you're his/her lifetime friend and you didn't even interact with them in the previous game. i made the mistake of being honest and saying we had never met. then the char refused to join my party after that.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    Continuity problem because BG1 had no such thing as romances. And Beamdog didn't implement any way to carry over existing romances to BG2.

Just another example of what I like to call rushed content and poor planning. They want to put immersive romances with fully-developed NPCs in the game similar to the ones BG2 had, but they have no idea what they're doing. They don't plan it all the way. Instead they cop out by writting bland/bad characters and what COULD be an emotionally-invested romance is hastily shoved into your face using limited "3-node-deep conversations," leaving you no time to build a connection. Then they say they *might* fix it later years down the road. It's so unprofessional.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    they fixed the bg1 romances not importing into bg2 in the 1.3 patch. ignoring facts just to troll is sad.
    mf2112illathidMirandel
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2016

they fixed the bg1 romances not importing into bg2 in the 1.3 patch. ignoring facts just to troll is sad.

I don't see Corwin in BG2. And the OP is talking about the romance in SoD, not BG1 proper. So I think you should look in a mirror first.
  • VargnattVargnatt Member Posts: 42
    As a Xan's Romance fan I really see no problem in making this carryover in a way that it depends on first dialogue when you meet character. Like one answer for romance, one for 'who the hell are you???', one for 'haven't I kill you lol?' and one for the former party member.
    Buttercheese
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    At least he doesn't try to kill you in BG2, like another NPC romance option in SoD.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Vargnatt said:

As a Xan's Romance fan I really see no problem in making this carryover in a way that it depends on first dialogue when you meet character. Like one answer for romance, one for 'who the hell are you???', one for 'haven't I kill you lol?' and one for the former party member.

@Vargnatt tt
    The Kivan romance mod does the same.
    Buttercheese
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    I'm so sorry for your heartbreak. Its not you. Its not your fault. Hey, look, Rasaad is going through a vengance quest, and maybe when he's found satisfaction he'll let you back in. If you truly care for him you'll help him slaughter his foes. Be patient.
    Buttercheesemf2112
  • VargnattVargnatt Member Posts: 42

Vargnatt said:

@Vargnatt tt
    The Kivan romance mod does the same.
    There is no carryover of romance from BG to BG2 with Kivan - there is no actual romance with him in BGNPC Project, if I remember it right. But anyway carryovers were made in mods so I don't see why Beamdog can't carry romances over the same way
    Buttercheese
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @FinnTheHuman I am trying to be strong.
    *Eats an entire tub of icecream while grossly sobbing*
    FinnTheHuman