Skip to content

User Ratings on Metacritic (*SPOILERS*)

Comments

• AHarmlessGatorAHarmlessGator Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2016

Just a note, since it seems to have been ignored: the tweets you're referencing were deleted, and no response was given from either Anita or the (incorrectly mentioned) Jezebel. It was an honest mistake, which has since been remedied.
    Do you or do you not stand by your comments, that those criticizing the game are 'not true baldurs gate fans' or something along those lines.

Also does the deleting of those tweets account as some sort of apology?
    Coffeethrall
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited April 2016

Dee said:

Just a note, since it seems to have been ignored: the tweets you're referencing were deleted, and no response was given from either Anita or the (incorrectly mentioned) Jezebel. It was an honest mistake, which has since been remedied.

Do you or do you not stand by your comments, that those criticizing the game are 'not true baldurs gate fans' or something along those lines.

Also does the deleting of those tweets account as some sort of apology?
    ===

I was tweeting in the heat of the moment. However, I wasn't trying to say that everyone criticizing the game was not a true fan of the game; my comment in that tweet (which, again, has since been deleted, not sure why we're still talking about it) was specifically about the people in the links I included with that tweet: one was an 8chan thread that was making targeted, nasty attacks against Beamdog and its employees.

The other link was a blog post that I happened to disagree with, which in hindsight wasn't really the point of that tweet. But as I said, taking it to social media was a mistake, as was claiming that people attacking me or the people I work with are not real Baldur's Gate fans. I'm sure they are real fans of the game. That doesn't mean I'm okay with what they're posting about me.

EDIT: Blockquotes seem to be broken...again...
    joluvRazorKrotosRawgrim
  • AHarmlessGatorAHarmlessGator Member Posts: 3
    the quoting system is buggered so I will just post my response to dees response below again

I can appreciate that, the heat of the moment is a hell of a thing. Perhaps consider that as people 'attack' you.

Despite the last sentence I appreciate your quick response.
    Ratcliff
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

the quoting system is buggered so I will just post my response to dees response below again

I can appreciate that, the heat of the moment is a hell of a thing. Perhaps consider that as people 'attack' you.

Despite the last sentence I appreciate your quick response.

There was an erroneous /blockquote tag in one of the posts. I fixed it in my last one, but it should be good now.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited April 2016
    If your issue is the transgender npc, the guy who CREATED the Forgotten Realms has shot you down in a long post. If it's the Minsc remark "breaking character or immersion" I have literally never played an RPG (and I own nearly every significant one ever released) that didn't have an easter egg pop culture reference, allusions to real-life issues, or nods to real historical or political figures. In other words, everything you are arguing about is pure, unadulterated bullshit of the highest order, a primal scream of a niche movement who thinks they are far more important and influential than they actually are....
    Kilivitz
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Do people even take Metacritic seriously anymore?
  • iassoniasson Member Posts: 101
    edited April 2016
    @jjstraka34i will just assume that u cant read, its the least offensive assumption i can make. NO this issue isnt about the transgendered npc, its about the TERRIBLE way almost every single moral choice and cultural background in SOD has been implemented.
    edited April 2016
    iasson said:

@jjstraka34i will just assume that u cant read, its the least offensive assumption i can make. NO this issue isnt about the transgendered npc, its about the TERRIBLE way almost every single moral choice and cultural background in SOD has been implemented.

Keep telling yourself that....
    edited April 2016
    @Rawgrim we did take beamdog seriously and got served a major disappointment a la SocJus)
    so i dont see why we shouldnt take honest reviews on metacritic seriously. The moment they realize what they did wrong, my critic at least WILL change. The game is good overall but the rework of the old characters and not being able to chose a proper reply (every dialog option is like a lesson in SocJus) are immersion breaking for me. So since i got terribly annoyed from those two things i put a 0 review until the developers understood why we were bothered. afterwards i will rate it normally (8), like i did with the other 3 EE games they released.
    GodKaiserHell
    iasson said:

@Rawgrim we did take beamdog seriously and got served a major disappointment a la SocJus)
    so i dont see why we shouldnt take honest reviews on metacritic seriously. The moment they realize what they did wrong, my critic at least WILL change. The game is good overall but the rework of the old characters and not being able to chose a proper reply (every dialog option is like a lesson in SocJus) are immersion breaking for me. So since i got terribly annoyed from those two things i put a 0 review until the developers understood why we were bothered. afterwards i will rate it normally (8), like i did with the other 3 EE games they released.

Yeah but given all the campaigning over at Metacritic, for enraged fans about this and that game. I have stopped looking at Metacritic at all.
    @jjstraka34 thats not what im telling myself, thats what i believe. HOW can U know better than ME what i believe? stop PATRONIZING others, cause the only thing u achieve by doing that is coming along as a subhuman being. i have 1 close gay friend and 1 gay coworker and i dont have any problem with transexual, asexual or WHATEVEROSEXUAL humans at all.
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    I am flabbergasted
    The game is fun. The dungeons are better than old BG games. The characters are way better than BG1 and just as good as BG2.
    The inclusion of so much intrigue and great voice acting.
    Why do people hate the priest exactly? The character is gender neutral ? I guess they have never done a public D and D event.... there's a huge proportion of gender neutral people in table top gaming. Whats wrong with including one in a game based on table top gaming.

Lets hear the isometric RPG that's just so much than SOD? it's not BG1 I can tell you that. I honestly like SOD better. It has 20 years of progress pumped into it. They did IMO a great job. I love the game. I beat it and instantly made a new character to try play it again. I haven't done that since Fallout 3 or diablo or the original BG2.

it's an RPG game based on D and D. It has that classic infinity engine combat.
    Why are people in this forum unhappy ? because they are unhappy in general I am thinking.
    PurudayaNomphosumus
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    iasson said:

i have 1 close gay friend and 1 gay coworker and i dont have any problem with transexual, asexual or WHATEVEROSEXUAL humans at all.

:smiley:
    KilivitzPurudaya
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2016
    I love how people talk about Safana now as if she was this legendary character. Before this nonsense I never heard a peep about Safana when people talked about their favorite characters. Be real everyone, the characters in the original BG1 were templates at best. That was probably by design or by limitations of the time, but that's what they were.

Filling in the template when you have the go-ahead and the right to do so is not wrong and I actually like what they did with Safana. She's interesting now.
    craymond727NomphosumusKrotos
  • XartaXXartaX Member Posts: 33
    FYI: Sargon of Akkad, one of the most prominent members of GG, left a positive review of the game on Steam.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited April 2016
    iasson said:

@Rawgrim We did take Beamdog seriously and got served a major [threat to our prejudices].
    So I don't see why we shouldn't take honest reviews on metacritic seriously [what honest reviews?!]. The moment they [submit to bullying] [no longer conflict with my prejudices], my [critique] at least WILL change.

Edited for truth (and punctuation).

Is there some connection between illiteracy and transphobia?
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    iasson said:

"Every dialogue is like a lesson in SocJus"

Either you have not played the game or you have serious confirmation bias. Do you have any examples? Aside from the little girl in the beginning or the assailants in the Three Old Kegs, because those have been amply disproven.
    I would bet every cent in my savings account that 75% of the people posting reviews about this game couldn't tell you if positive or negative THACO was better if you held a gun to their head.

It would be fine if Siege was receiving these scores if the AMOUNT of reviews was even slightly proportional to the popularity of the game. But as I've demonstrated about a dozen times, it has 5 times as many reviews on Metacritic as the latest Fallout 4 DLC, which would be like your local bar band selling more tickets than a Led Zeppelin reunion show....
    Purudaya
    edited April 2016
    @jjstraka34 u just cant stop assuming, right? i have playe BG and IE games in general for a very long time and many times as well. the real question is if you know which thaco is better?

@Purudaya i wont type the whole list of whats wrong here but u can watch this video if u want to get an idea of whats wrong with SoD

@Fardragon not bothering to use punctuation may be illiteracy for you, but changing my comment to fit your POV screams retard for yourself) if i dont want to be bothered to use punctuation on an online conversation thats my problem) on the other hand u want to call people names so badly that you change their comments) how sad can u be?))
    GodKaiserHell

I would bet every cent in my savings account that 75% of the people posting reviews about this game couldn't tell you if positive or negative THACO was better if you held a gun to their head.

It would be fine if Siege was receiving these scores if the AMOUNT of reviews was even slightly proportional to the popularity of the game. But as I've demonstrated about a dozen times, it has 5 times as many reviews on Metacritic as the latest Fallout 4 DLC, which would be like your local bar band selling more tickets than a Led Zeppelin reunion show....

THAC0 still confuses me too, and I have played BG several times a year since it was released. I am slow, I know.
    edited April 2016
    iasson said:

@jjstraka34 u just cant stop assuming, right? i have playe BG and IE games in general for a very long time and many times as well. the real question is if you know which thaco is better?

@Purudaya i wont type the whole list of whats wrong here but u can watch this video if u want to get an idea of whats wrong with SoD

@Fardragon not bothering to use punctuation may be illiteracy for you, but changing my comment to fit your POV screams retard for yourself) if i dont want to be bothered to use punctuation on an online conversation thats my problem) on the other hand u want to call people names so badly that you change their comments) how sad can u be?))

I've seen the video and read the article it references. Half of what he brings up isn't even open to interpretation - i.e. the little girl, who makes the same comment whether you are male or female (how then, is this a classic case of "mansplaining?") The goblin brings up racism - racism is an extraordinarily pervasive theme in D&D and in the forgotten realms in particular. It comes up in every single game.

You said that every dialogue is a lesson in "socjus". This video barely lists a handful of lines where paranoid gamers are seeing what they want to see. Do you have any examples from *your* playthrough?

Or are you campaigning against a game you haven't even played?
    [Deleted User]Krotos
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    So, 32 pages into discussion we still see that most of people havent moved an inch from their initial positions. Doesnt look good for perspectives of peace. Concessions need to be made by both sides, soon.
    [Deleted User]Krotos
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    PurudayaKrotos
    @xzar people on this forum always behaved in the same passive aggressive way. they always refuse to accept that what is normality for them cant be normal for others. on the other hand our comments are comparing SoD with vanilla and the difference on the narration is obvious. yet they still prefer to call tin foil hats on the persons that spotted the difference between them. sure, its not that big, but its still there. under no condition do i want to insult them, but its my right to say what i see
    edited April 2016
    iasson said:

@xzar people on this forum always behaved in the same passive aggressive way. they always refuse to accept that what is normality for them cant be normal for others. on the other hand our comments are comparing SoD with vanilla and the difference on the narration is obvious. yet they still prefer to call tin foil hats on the persons that spotted the difference between them. sure, its not that big, but its still there. under no condition do i want to insult them, but its my right to say what i see

"sure, it's not that big, but its still there."

*scrolls up*

"every dialogue is a lesson in socjus"

PurudayaKrotos
    Giving it a 0 is just wrong, and it is dishonest. A 0 would mean the game is almost unplayable and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. This is simply not the case. The game is very very good + it has some preaching bits tossed in that are a bit off.
    booinyoureyes
    edited April 2016
    @subtledoctor official response is still pending. When it is released and we see that they will choose their writers more carefully in the future we will change our ratings. Now we just feel cheated of what was supposed to be a great game, and instead we got SocJus lessons
    Rawgrimbooinyoureyes
This discussion has been closed.