Skip to content

Beamdog's Official Statement (4-6-2016)

Comments

• supytalpssupytalps Member Posts: 24
    @Dee

Silly question, but what would be the most appropriate board or thread to post my idea?
  • InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    Best outcome we could hope for. Glad Mizhena is getting an expanded role, at any rate, and hopefully this will lead to the game not getting bombed with so many unfair reviews. Suppose the GG's will have to go whine about some other triviality now.
    RawgrimGenderNihilismGirdleNonnahswriterznancekivell
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    splatypus said:

@Dee

Silly question, but what would be the most appropriate board or thread to post my idea?

My view is: general discussion, as it would be for the eventual BG3 or whatever is the next full lenght game from Beamdog.

I would not want to reduce it to silly GG-style bickering, because inclusiveness of immersion - or richness or solidarity, however one wants to put it - is a topic I find of universal importance. If the world had stuck to pre-Ano romance era, I probably would not love gaming as I do.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    If you are going to announce that you are changing the game, it is essential that you announce that this will be the *only* change. Some will be content with this, many others who believe the "whole game" is pushing an agenda will want much more. I would seriously consider making that addendum.

Hope you guys know what you're doing.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited April 2016
    TStael said:

splatypus said:

@Dee

My view is: general discussion, as it would be for the eventual BG3 or whatever is the next full lenght game from Beamdog.

I would not want to reduce it to silly GG-style bickering, because inclusiveness of immersion - or richness or solidarity, however one wants to put it - is a topic I find of universal importance. If the world had stuck to pre-Ano romance era, I probably would not love gaming as I do.
    I feel like I'm missing something in the Anomen romance. I could never stomach him long enough to get through it (EDIT: On a personal level, I mean--my characters never got along with him), but maybe it's worth struggling through.
  • DemonocratDemonocrat Member Posts: 9
    Kudos on taking the high road and trying to make the best of an awful situation. Your game is great and will hopefully get out of this even better.
    BelgarathMTHGenderNihilismGirdle
  • bluntfeatherbluntfeather Member Posts: 61
    Very good move. As someone who for the most part tends to agree w/ GG and knows what ruffles feathers with that group, I think it addresses most everyone's concerns so to those saying "they'll want more and more" I, at least, disagree. Cheers.
    kanisathaOmegawolf
  • IakusIakus Member Posts: 36
    A very measured response. Good to see that reasonable feedback was taken seriously and addressed.
    JuliusBorisov
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Good decision about Mizhena
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • DarjiDarji Member Posts: 20
    Honestly I would hope they would also apologize for their unprofessionalism regarding this stuff. Calling femfreq, Jezbell etc for help via social media was just really stupid. Same goes for suggesting people giving better reviews.

But I am fine otherwise with the statement. Almost no one wanted her to be removed from the game. For me it was important to A not use a minority as a token for some political statement. You can use books or letter for that and B. To learn out of this for the next time.

The Minsc stuff was stupid and just lit more oil into the fire so I think its fine that this line gets removed.
    minsc4prezOmegawolfsunset00Aethernaut
  • DarjiDarji Member Posts: 20
    Dee said:

Darji said:

Honestly I would hope they would also apologize for their unprofessionalism regarding this stuff. Calling femfreq, Jezbell etc for help via social media was just really stupid.

I've apologized for this a couple times here on the forums. The tweet you're referring to was deleted shortly after it was posted.
    Oh ok sorry that was one thing I did not notice. Nvm then. Good job for addressing it then.
    BelgarathMTH

Ultimately, we received feedback from our community around the Minsc line and when we went back and reviewed it. The line just doesn't make the game better, it doesn't add to Minsc and it does in fact, detract from him. As such, the removal of the line was the only logical outcome.
    I care about making our games better and I care about our community feedback.

-Trent

Well, I personally saw no need for it, as I am not such a fragile flower as a gamer as to wilt upon a single line of dialogue... however purportedly obnoxious!

However, fans like me probably rather see unnecessary discussion preempted than hard-core sticking to guns. Pillars of Eternity resolved a topic in this way, other way around maybe, but I think it was for the best.

Better still if there were no fabricated outrages, which I find this very much to be. But hey-ho, I can only endevour individually to stand up for inclusive immersion, GG fans included, to show that ethic... I still count irony fair game in this!
    BelgarathMTH
  • thruddthrudd Member Posts: 96
    My Opinion on SOD: The Expansion is Completely and Utterly AWESOME ...... The Graphic update makes the Game look more Refreshed and new! The Story is both Epic and Engrossing.. I have Imported a couple of groups from BGEE and also have created a Few New Entire Party's to try out, I have Purchased BG2EE and when I complete SOD I will import these groups and start that again. I already Completed BG2 when it was originally released along with TOB but I am very excited to get back in it again with all the new additions!!!
    And when in done with BG2EE I'm going to get IWDEE and play that again!! Thank you BEAMDOG!! you have taken me back to 1985 in my friends Basement playing AD&D again rolling the dice.....
    BelgarathMTHjedediah3GenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisov
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Dee said:

Darji said:

Honestly I would hope they would also apologize for their unprofessionalism regarding this stuff. Calling femfreq, Jezbell etc for help via social media was just really stupid.

I've apologized for this a couple times here on the forums. The tweet you're referring to was deleted shortly after it was posted.
    You shouldn't not have to apologize.
    Fawnkydickerj
  • janicjanic Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2016
    As someone who opted not to purchase SoD partly because of the much discussed design-decisions, I do hope the changes were mainly internal decisions as I would hate for a developer to get pressured to the point where they make design changes based on external pressure.

Moreover, I think/hope I speak for most people in the critical camp that we would prefer everyone to stay civil in their criticism.
    Ardulproghead3
  • SilmarilNaroSilmarilNaro Member Posts: 17
    Dee said:

I feel like I'm missing something in the Anomen romance. I could never stomach him long enough to get through it (EDIT: On a personal level, I mean--my characters never got along with him), but maybe it's worth struggling through.

Anomen was the first time I encountered the idea of a romance in a computer game. I admit I hadn't played much before then, but he also felt like an early example of a romance made for female players, especially when one looks at the fact that he was to only romancable male completed for the game, while three romancable women got finished.

As for the character of Anomen... well I admit, he's hard to put up with for most of the first part of the romance plot. The thing is if you can sit through all his arrogance and bragging and get to the plot of his sister's death, you really see why he's like that, and see that he's written with some very good idea of how a guy with an overly-critical parent could react.

But I also don't want to tell anyone to sit through Anomen if he really annoys them too badly. The fandom has supplied a large number of romance mods to be other options, and Beamdog came up with more to be official pick-ups for there being only one romancable male character.
    BelgarathMTHkaguana
    Darji said:

Honestly I would hope they would also apologize for their unprofessionalism regarding this stuff. Calling femfreq, Jezbell etc for help via social media was just really stupid. Same goes for suggesting people giving better reviews.

Bit of human sympathy please.

The mobbing business is often anonymous and unkind, and attacks a human being for their work. Our annual performance reviews are one-on-one for a reason - and if one is privileged enough for the 360 degrees, it is guaranteed to sting.

Say Beamdog was purportedly "unprofessional" looking for ways to counter - I say mobbing is unemphatic and inhumane. Which is worse? I dislike unkindness more than unintended error, personally, for the record.
    BelgarathMTHmashedtatersDashiva