Skip to content

General Bug Discussion

Comments

• JumJumJumJum Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2016
    illathid said:

Don't know about all, but within russian gamers there is such bug: game didn't read options, that written in baldur.lua. But if you place baldur.ini in the same directory, game reads all options from it and starts propely. If not - game writes options to baldur.lua, but always starts with default options. It is very annoying

I believe this is an issue caused by having non-english characters in your windows user profile name. That means when it tries to access your /My Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder to write the baldur.lua options it can't find/access it. Beamdog is aware of it, as you can see in this bug report: http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/22406 . Not sure about a workaround though.
    I skimmed through the forums and I believe I saw a possible solution for it, create a file named "baldur.ini" or take a old one and copy it to your Baldurs Gate root folder or C:\Users\***\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition. I can't remember where I read it but maybe you can try that and get lucky.
    EDIT: Actually I read the bug report and I might be thinking of something else.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I don't know if this is covered elsewhere - will this patch for BG2EE bring a modified UI (UI like in BGEE) there, or not this time?
    illathidNatreg
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    JumJum said:

illathid said:

Don't know about all, but within russian gamers there is such bug: game didn't read options, that written in baldur.lua. But if you place baldur.ini in the same directory, game reads all options from it and starts propely. If not - game writes options to baldur.lua, but always starts with default options. It is very annoying

I believe this is an issue caused by having non-english characters in your windows user profile name. That means when it tries to access your /My Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder to write the baldur.lua options it can't find/access it. Beamdog is aware of it, as you can see in this bug report: http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/22406 . Not sure about a workaround though.
    I skimmed through the forums and I believe I saw a possible solution for it, create a file named "baldur.ini" or take a old one and copy it to your Baldurs Gate root folder or C:\Users\***\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition. I can't remember where I read it but maybe you can try that and get lucky.
    Just make another User Account on your computer and call it Bruce, log in to it when you want to play the game.
    illathid
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Hmmm... According to the roadmap tab they've got 58% of the stuff for the patch done. Hope that means we'll get it this week. :)
  • Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
    JumJum said:

illathid said:

Emmm.... this was my solution, posted in this issue post))
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    What about these issues?

Those two should be very easy to fix since they are just problems with chapter pictures for Black Pits ending and the journey to the mysterious island. I really think this should be fixed ASAP since they are major events during gameplay.

http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/22231
    http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/22236

Also, I really hope you are looking into the black border issue:

http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/21011
    http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/21535
    http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/22299

All three tickets are for the same problem. I really can't believe this is considered a feature...
    If this is a side effect of the zooming out map, please make it a toggeable option. I prefer having the old map with no borders than this inmersion breaking "feature".
    Noobacca
  • JumJumJumJum Member Posts: 6

JumJum said:

illathid said:

Emmm.... this was my solution, posted in this issue post))
    Hahaha ops! Too many browser tabs open at the same time! :dizzy:
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    edited April 2016
    I'm not sure if I just missed it but it didn't look like you're fixing the map links. I want to be able to travel properly between maps
    Noobacca
  • brookdh17brookdh17 Member Posts: 14
    I'm sorry but since my Baldur's Gates updated the CLUA Console doesn't work properly. For example when I try to put in AdvanceRealTime it keeps popping up:
    CLUAConsole:AdvanceRealTime(999)
    {string "CLUAConsole:AdvanceRealTime(999)]:1: error in function 'AdvanceRealTime'.
    argument #1 is 'class CLUAConsole', 'CLUAConsole' expected.

:(
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Try using C: instead of CLUAConsole:
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I'm sadden by the fact that there's no mention about the custom portraits.
    jackjackArdul
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Cerevant said:

The goal for this next update is to address immediately the crash and critical path blocking bugs, along with some highly visible issues.

And thanks a lot for that! I'm especially grateful for fixing the problem with non-english letters in the path to game folders in My Documents that prevented any change in game options to be recognized after quitting the game. This has been the problem since the start of the open beta 2.0 for me and I can't express how happy I am that now it works. That is a very important fix because basically it lets me calmly play each of the games. The same can be said about problems with Legacy of Bhaal difficulty and Multiplayer bugs.
    Gate70lolien
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Any news on the Mac App Store updates? Should we hold tight and wait for patch 2.1, or is 2.0 still working its way through the Apple app approval process?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Mac App Store will get 2.0 & Siege along with iOS and Android. We have implementation to do on that front.
    JuliusBorisovAstroBryGuyMr2150GreenWarlock
  • JiveOneJiveOne Member Posts: 43
    Would 2.0 save games still be valid after the update?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    JiveOne said:

Would 2.0 save games still be valid after the update?

Yes. We have an art update for one area that you won't see if you've already visited the area
    Dragonspear Castle Exterior

but other than that, you can proceed with your saves.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Cerevant thanks for the update, I had misunderstood the Mac version would be ready to go to the App store at the same time as Steam and Beamdog, with only the Apple-in-the-(infinite)-loop delay. In one way it is disappointing to be held back while work on entirely different architectures and interfaces completes, in another it will be good to get the stable version after the early adopters of 2.0 have worked out the kinks for us :)

It does sound I will need to think about giving the forum a wide berth for a while though - I really don't want to be spoiled on the first new Baldur's Gate expansion in over a decade-and-a-half :)

Just hope it will be a little quicker than the 15 months I was waiting for the BG2 critical-bug-fix!! Regardless, the wait should be worth it :)
    justfeelinathome
    edited April 2016
    First of all, thanks for the newest patch. Reading the release notes it seems it fixes a lot of critical related bugs.

Sadly, I have to ask... When are we getting the next one?

There are still a lot of issues that break inmesion and gameplay on this new version.

I'm not an expert on 2nd edition AD&D so I can't speak much about the gameplay things, but regarding inmersion:

1) Black Pits ending should show the UI for the chapter ending and show Najim's image
    2) Traveling to the Island chapter image for TotSC should also be fixed
    3) I haven't checked if this is fixed or not, but traveling times should be shown for all areas, not just for the ones that have names.
    4) Black Borders on maps should be an option. This breaks inmersion, specially when talking to a character on the map border (Elminster first encounter is a good example of this).

I don't know if I'm alone in this but even though I pre-ordered, I'm waiting to play this game since I don't see it in a good state in which I can enjoy it from start to finish. I'm glad this first patch was released in so little time, but I hope the next one doesn't take months to come. My suggesttion for you is to keep doing 2 week patches for a while. If this gamed have had a bit more of public beta time this could have been avoided in my opinion.

The only thing I played through was The Black Pits, and I enjoyed it until I saw the ending. I had to do a search on youtube to confirm if what was shown was normal or not.

I don't consider the need to see the end of a game (or expansion in this case) on youtube a good thing for a relased product.
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
    I agree with Natreg - nice that you got a patch out so fast. However, you really need to do something about the graphics. Us old farts want it to look the way it's always looked and not what you've turned it into now. I suggest an "Old fart" setting for us old farts and another setting for people who enjoy the new look. The more choice, the better! Please include this in the next patch!!!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I hope in the next patch to be able to play with custom soundsets again.

http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/22699
  • GynsburgheGynsburghe Member Posts: 60
    @smeagolheart: Yes, please! I have a few mods that are only half working but I find myself really missing the voice sets I typically use.
    smeagolheart
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2016

@smeagolheart: Yes, please! I have a few mods that are only half working but I find myself really missing the voice sets I typically use.

It's nice that they recorded some new ones but at the same time they somehow broke custom ones.

I tried just copying a regular voiceset to a new name and that doesn't even work anymore. It results in selection sounds and most sounds not working in game, only action acknowledgement sounds work correctly).
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    lolien
  • ggmsggms Member Posts: 3
    I kind of lost faith in quality control of this patches because if (I'm using GOG version) you start BG2EE on a **clean install** and start Throne of Bhaal you get wrong subtitles in intro movie - movie displays "The Lord of Murder...." and displayed subtitles are something from within game like "I will offer you the same as the knight..". And this is known and reported I believe..but still did not made it into this 2.1 patch! It's not a big deal for gameplay, of course, but if this is not one of those "ok, let's fix this stupid bug in 5 minutes" then I really don't know what is... :s If something so obvious like this is left over and over, sorry but for me this is unprofessional quality control. :/
    edited April 2016
    Hey, @ggms! I reported it way back in the open beta, it's submitted and will be fixed. The thing is, the team is concentrating on critical fixes first, the ones that make the game crash and/or don't let some options run smoothly. The patching process is well underway, all reported bugs will be fixed.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    lolienLeoNegus
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovLeoNegusFraggle118Gozeta
    The bugs will be fixed, that's for sure, but releasing the game in this state is not a good thing to do. I'm really dissapointed by that.

Specially if you consider the Collector's Edition. Which version will we get on that DVD? this mess with lots of bugs? Unless I skipped it, I think they haven't yet told us how the physical copies were going to handle the patching, and that was ask a month ago.

1.3 seemed more or less stable, and then 2.0 cames with hundreds of new bugs. I could understand bugs related to SoD, but BGEE seems to have been downgraded instead of upgraded. This game was released way too soon and a lot of those bugs should have been noticed and fixed earlier.

I'm not going to ask for a refund or anything, I want my CE. However I'm really dissapointed I may get this mess on my hardcopy.

I was expecting SoD to be buggy here and there, but in the meantime I was planning on playing BGEE. Instead, all games are incredibly buggy and not even things as obvious as chapter screens were working.

It's nice the fix the critical bugs, I agree that's the thing to do, but the non-critical bugs, specially those as ridiculous as chapter screens or wrong subtitles or a "cancel" button that does nothing. Those should have been fixed on the private Beta even before making the public beta available.
    [Deleted User]Rodrian
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    in an ideal world, that's how it should be.
    in a real world, where maybe a game would have been due christmas, and rescheduled to end of march already, somewhen money may run out, and before stalling without a release at all, an imperfect release and patching afterwards is not a rare method, though of course not ideal.

in an ideal world, that's how it should be.
    in a real world, where maybe a game would have been due christmas, and rescheduled to end of march already, somewhen money may run out, and before stalling without a release at all, an imperfect release and patching afterwards is not a rare method, though of course not ideal.

I agree with that, but this could have been avoided if they had not touched the UI that much.

My guess is that they wanted to appeal to newer gamers by giving them a "better" or more suitable UI, but doing that introduced way more than they could handle in so little time. As it was released, new gamers may not be interested since it's still and old game, and old players have been alienated by the changes and the introduction of bugs.

In the end they should have focused on doing the expansion and only touching the extremely necessary things to make it work, and then after that was well tested keep adding and changing what they could. Sometimes less is better.

The schedule for this game must have been really chaotic. A long time probably as a side project as the other EE games came out, and when it becames the main project didn't get the needed time.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Recommendation: Prevent Map Descriptions from layering over each other. I've played the game so many times, that I don't need the map descriptions, but it is still very annoying to not be able to read certain notes because others are layered over them.