Skip to content

Beamdog next project?

Hi there, despite all this controversy about SoD, personally I admit I really enjoyed the game. There is only one major issue for me - game is way too short ! Is there any info about Beamdog future projects? I'd love to see another Infinity Engine RPG based in a different part of Faerun with 2nd edition D&D rules and I was wondering if there is more folks like me and if you think such game could find it's place on the market ?
IthualMoradinlolienillathidNoobaccasmeagolheartmashedtaters[Deleted User]AriusGriboejackjack

Comments

• DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    This interview awhile back described Beamdog's intentions:
    http://www.pcgamesn.com/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition/inside-icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-and-the-future-of-dd-rpgs

Adventure Y (SoD) was planned at the very beginning when BG:EE was a twinkle in the eyes of many and took 3 years to come into fruition.
    If and when BD decide to make a BG:V, I want them to take all the time in the world. Because I can wait another 18 years.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I'm not sure Beamdog can wait another 18 years though :/
    EnialusMeliamnejackjackMontresor_SP
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I moved this thread to General Discussion.

Some additional information on the Beamdog's next project is available here - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/47821/beamdog-engine#latest
    lolienAutocrat
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    I'm 90% sure it will be DnD RPG made in Unity engine using PoE tech.

I think its 40/60 chance it will be BG3 or a new IP based in Forgotten Realms.

Personally, I hope they will adopt something in the vein of Amplitude Studios Games2Gether programme, but chances are slim.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I'm slightly hoping for Planescape because that's a DnD setting that I have absolutely NO experience with. All but one of the games I've played are set in the Forgotten Realms (and the Sword Coast, really,) the only one that isn't is DDO, which is Eberron (well, at least in the beginning.)
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Well David Gaider did let slip during the SoD launch stream that he has had some confusion over "thinking in terms of 2nd edition again" (or something to that effect). Seeing as he started working for Beamdog after SoD was finished I assume the next project will use 2nd edition rules. My guess is PT:EE.
    ReadingRambo
  • RamiellRamiell Member Posts: 58
    Thank you for the info, hope they make enough profit on SoD to allow them spread the wings a bit and create something fresh
    JuliusBorisovEnialusMeliamneronaldololien
  • FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
    edited April 2016
    No disrespect to our gracious hosts but, In all honesty, I would prefer Beamdog DIDN'T tackle the EE of Planescape Torment themselves but instead handed it to (ideally) InXile or Obsidian (or both, dream-team style).

Brian Fargo is the leader InXile and Interplay's founder.
    Colin McComb was a developer of the Planescape setting and assisted in Planescape Torment's design. He's the current Torment's lead designer.
    Chris Avellone was Planescape's Torment lead designer, I could go on but I think I've made my point :smile:

These guys actually know what was going on when they were making it, know what they originally had in their heads (unfinished business?) and know what to do with it with today's tech (well, within the limits of the I.E.).

If not hand it directly then perhaps make it a collaboration effort, I do believe that regardless of Beamdog's talents no-one knows a game as complex and deep as Torment as its' original creators.
    ProphetPXMontresor_SP
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    Have they expressed any interest in an EE though?
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @Feilakas
    I believe Chris Avellone is independent right now. He's no longer working officially at Obsidian.

Colin is the same, he's a tabletop designer and could be hired for EE to help and give advice, as well as design new stuff.
    illathidcmk24jackjackProphetPX
    True on both counts although it appears they both have pretty strong ties with InXile.

I believe both decided to do additional work on The Bard's Tale 4.
    ProphetPX
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I think all the negative reviews they've received about the "old" graphics and interface in SoD should convince them that from a business standpoint it is past time to move on from the Infinity engine. If an EE is made of PS:T I would buy it, though I would not bother buying an IwD2 EE unless it included a significant new expansion. But I would happily pay a lot of money for a brand new game using a new engine with 4k graphics, the new 5e D&D rules, and set in some part of the Forgotten Realms as far away from the Sword Coast as you can get.
    kensai
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Feilakas said:

True on both counts although it appears they both have pretty strong ties with InXile.

I believe both decided to do additional work on The Bard's Tale 4.

Avellone at least seems pretty close to Beamdog too. He gave them advice on SoD. And there's this too:
    "Kris Avalon (a sock puppet who is in no way related to any human game writers or legends among legends whose names might sound similar) will join Phil in his live-streamed AMA." from here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48346/the-roadmap-to-v2-0-11-milestones-cleared/p1
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
    Well, Beamdog has some old Bioware veterans so I wouldn't doubt it.

If collaboration is possible then I'd be more confident. :)
    ProphetPX
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    IWD2 For life
    ProphetPX
  • chrstnmonkschrstnmonks Member Posts: 176
    I would love to see a Torment EE
    Gubojackjack
  • ShandoShando Member Posts: 147
    NWN :D
  • NightRevanNightRevan Member Posts: 81
    Expanded ToB (I'd love for it to be revamped as well but I don't think Beamdog are allowed to alter it)
    Baldur's Gate 3 preferably with CHARNAME since it won't really feel like Baldur's Gate unless it is about Gorian's Ward and Bhaalspawn. With Bhaal back in the picture and Minsc around I think it could use 5th Ed rules and involve dealing with Bhaal directly in some form or other, and perhapa having two clear paths depending on whether CHARNAME choose to ascend to godhood or not. And I always wanted CHARNAME to face Bhaal eventually as he was always your consistent enemy throughout the games behind everything else, coming in your dreams trying to influence you it always felt that facing him directly at some point was the natural end the narrative was leading to. At least to me :smile: .

Some new D&D based game (if IWD3 hopefully it will have companion NPCs rather than just creating your own party, never really enjoyed the lack of that in those games, one among a couple of reasons I was only able to play through the game once).

I probably think with SoD they should perhaps put curatorial work on the backburner I focus on creating original content now in BG and elsewhere.
    illathid[Deleted User]
  • thruddthrudd Member Posts: 96
    How could they not Do an IWD2EE? It would be a travesty... when you have all the other series games Enhanced. And after that, you ABSOULETLY have to make a BG3!!! Its a no Brainer....
    SpaceInvader
    @NightRevan, The way I see it, it would have to make a canon decision between ascending to godhood or not, with NOT being the more obvious choice.

I mean, you can't very well walk the Sword Coast as a god (Time of Troubles notwithstanding), that'd be beyond OP (or beyond Nerfed, depending). It would have to make you somehow lose your godly powers, which would be a tough act to pull off.
    Not accepting the power also makes sense from a writing standpoint. If you accept it then it's in you.
    If you don't then it's locked away where no-one could get to it. Or could they?!?!
    jackjack
    Feilakas said:

@NightRevan, The way I see it, it would have to make a canon decision between ascending to godhood or not, with NOT being the more obvious choice.

I mean, you can't very well walk the Sword Coast as a god (Time of Troubles notwithstanding), that'd be beyond OP (or beyond Nerfed, depending). It would have to make you somehow lose your godly powers, which would be a tough act to pull off.
    Not accepting the power also makes sense from a writing standpoint. If you accept it then it's in you.
    If you don't then it's locked away where no-one could get to it. Or could they?!?!

I was imagining either something like that (Bhaal's return via some means, possibly Viakang's death, could be something that triggers the CHARNAME losing their godly status, but then perhaps it leaves Bhaal not at his full god status either with CHARNAME around and alive). Either that or something that was once one of the Obsidian developers personal ideas for a BG3 (though not one that they were ever pitching) of having the setting being one set on the planes itself with the CHARNAME being a new god without portfollio trying to gain and build followers and establish his base against much more powerful threats (at the time the focus would be on Cyric, but it's possible now it could be a resurgent Bhaal now) and CHARNAME having to flee their plane and try and survive building their base, worship, followers etc and going to different planes etc on their quest.

This does seem like an interesting but different quest, but it doesn't really take into account the fact that CHARNAME can turn down ascension to godhood, so perhaps the loss of power for those that did would make more sense. They can still be on the run, say from Bhaal who wants them dead to restore his full godhead and secure his own position, and CHARNAME could be reunited with both old faces, and like the previous idea might end up doing allot of plane-hopping, with Toril, never mind the Sword Coast being nothing but a starting zone :smile: .
    illathid said:

Feilakas said:

The best proposal I've read for BG3 is predicated on you becoming a god. It's by George Ziets the creative director of MotB. you can read the highlights of it here: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/110494-george-ziets-describes-how-hed-approach-baldurs-gate-iii.html
    Ah, that was the one I remembered, it sounded like a cool idea (though like I said has a problem in accounting for CHARNAME's who don't choose godhood). Having this idea taken up and adapted, perhaps altered so it accounts for CHARNAMEs who didn't ascend to godhood would be excellent in my opinion (and with Bhaal now perhaps your adversary given he's back, and I've always seem him as CHARNAME's ultimate opponent from the start).

But yes, with adaptations I'd love to see this idea become BG3 :smile:
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    I would also like to see some expanded ToB content - they hired Gaider and are open to adding SoD NPCs to BG2 depending on their reception, so I don't think Beamdog is quite done with the BG series yet.
    [Deleted User]NightRevanjackjackArdul
  • thruddthrudd Member Posts: 96
    TOB is an Expansion, Why would they Spend the time and effort on making an Expansion to an Expansion... LOL , That's just dumb, Time to start a New BG saga the CHARNAME saga is DONE.... a new Story either in The Sword Coast Area or Somewhere else in the FR is what I would like to see!!!!
    mf2112jackjacksparkleav
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    edited April 2016

illathid said:

Feilakas said:

The best proposal I've read for BG3 is predicated on you becoming a god. It's by George Ziets the creative director of MotB. you can read the highlights of it here: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/110494-george-ziets-describes-how-hed-approach-baldurs-gate-iii.html
    Ah, that was the one I remembered, it sounded like a cool idea (though like I said has a problem in accounting for CHARNAME's who don't choose godhood). Having this idea taken up and adapted, perhaps altered so it accounts for CHARNAMEs who didn't ascend to godhood would be excellent in my opinion (and with Bhaal now perhaps your adversary given he's back, and I've always seem him as CHARNAME's ultimate opponent from the start).

But yes, with adaptations I'd love to see this idea become BG3 :smile:
    Well as I see it the gameplay and story of such a version would be incompatible with anyone who didn't choose divinity. But that's not a big problem. If you don't choose divinity you do nothing more of note, you live and die happily ever after so to speak. So in effect there's no reason to continue the story. But if you do choose divinity then you could continue on into the next game.
    NightRevan