Skip to content

How was your first experience with Baldur's Gate?

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Lorandar 120 GHz is pretty damn amazing!
    jackjacksarevok57lolien
  • LorandarLorandar Member Posts: 33
    Hmm, it is, isn't it? I may have made a small mistake there...
    FinneousPJjackjacksarevok57
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    I charmed everything and built myself an army on every map, in the first game with the cloak you get in Beregost, can't remember the name as I write.
    jackjacksarevok57
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Algernon's Cloak, responsible for incalculable devastation along The Sword Coast.
    RobertMcDuckJuliusBorisovsarevok57semiticgoddess
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Must have been about 16, playing Diablo 1 to excess, when a friend's older brother installed bg1, starting it was more complicated, but good. I was interested, but the game was not yet available here in Europe, big brother had imported discs.
    Another friend of us, whose dad was some computer expert with pro equipment had a CD burner that back then was terribly expensive and unreliable (and required a SCSI interface!) ... Friend's grand idea was to order the original English edition from "his aunt in America" (blessed land of the nerds), burn copies for all of us, refunding his invest with that deal ...
    Well thought, but English was not what we wanted to play and the disks took weeks to come over the Atlantic ... When they arrived we others had bought the German version from store, already gathering the party before venturing forth, when cd burner friend was waiting for the orders to come in that never came :-). He's a computer expert in America now though - happy end!
    JuliusBorisovsarevok57Lorelolien
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    jackjack said:

Algernon's Cloak, responsible for incalculable devastation along The Sword Coast.

True.. True
    jackjack
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Same as with the Lord of the Rings: With the second part of the trilogy first and while still very slightly under the recommended age of 12. :sweat_smile:

I felt, back then, genuinely uncomfortable about the "chunking" that occurred in both (which I switched of in BG II; thus discovering the exploit that enabled preserving enemy equipment even after shattering frozen foes, or disintegrating them).

And both titles, "The two Towers" and "Shadow of Amn" have something else in common, in that they fortified my bond to fantasy in gaming, movies and literature. My first gaming experiences before that were with Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX and, while also very pleasant (VII over IX over VIII, for me) not as important as what BG did for my pop-cultural preferences.

It is debt which I can never repay and has lead me to wonderful worlds, since then.
    Dradeel_rulesJuliusBorisovsarevok57lolien
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    So my first exposure to Baldur's Gate was Shadows of Amn. I played that all the way through, and then took the same character through Throne of Bhaal.

During all that, I picked up Baldur's Gate and I clashed a bit with the profusion of explorable areas and how easy it was to wander off the path and get overwhelmed at low level. I actually got pretty far into BG in at least one playthrough but I think my impression of the game suffered because I played SoA first.

I haven't played multiple playthroughs like many of the people here, but I have been a fan of infinity engine games since Planescape: Torment. Right now I've got a BG playthrough I intend to fully finish and take through SoD, SoA, and ToB.
    JuliusBorisovsarevok57lolien
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    edited April 2016
    Wow @sarevok57, awesome. And here i was thinking that i was a big BG fan. Also, what a cool neighbour.

Edit: Also, from the posts below, seems like I'm not the only one feeling sometimes a "like" just isn't enough.
    Post edited by FinnTheHuman on
    GrifJuliusBorisovsarevok57semiticgoddess
  • namenlosnamenlos Member Posts: 51
    Made a mage
    Died to shank or carbos
    Made a Paladin
    Ruled the Sword Coast

I can't remember much of my first time sadly... I do know that for many years I was terrified of playing mages, and never a cleric(not sure why on that).
    FinnTheHumansarevok57tbone1
  • AyeotieeAyeotiee Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2017
    Back in 98'/99' my first character was a green dwarf with a blue beard, I really had no idea what I was doing at the time but I'm pretty sure I did manage to beat the game at one point.
    sarevok57lolienJuliusBorisov