Skip to content

Beamdog next project?

Comments

• NightRevanNightRevan Member Posts: 81
    illathid said:

Well as I see it the gameplay and story of such a version would be incompatible with anyone who didn't choose divinity. But that's not a big problem. If you don't choose divinity you do nothing more of note, you live and die happily ever after so to speak. So in effect there's no reason to continue the story. But if you do choose divinity then you could continue on into the next game.

True enough :smile:
  • ValtheJeanValtheJean Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2016
    Am I the only one who would absolutely love to see an EE PC Port of Dark Alliance 1 and 2? Maybe it's just because I've been on a diablo craze lately, but god I loved those games, especially 2. I'd totally be okay if their next project was those games. If Beamdog managed to port them to the PC I would die happy.
    gugulug5000
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    Aedan said:

IWD2EE
    PSTEE
    TOEE EE
    IWD3

Personally, I would love to see a TOEE EE as well. I absolutely loved the 3.5 conversion that was done in that game. Beamdog would probably want to work with the Circle of Eight personnel who made the game not just playable, but much more expansive. If Beamdog took a similar approach with CO8 as with how they worked with modders of analog BG, I think the rewards would be beneficial.

That said, my guess is the likelihood of TOEE EE happening is just south of zero.

Aedanjackjack
  • AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    Didn't they include Planescape monsters in SoD? I guess that means they have both access to the content of the game and the rights to it.
  • AriusArius Member Posts: 92
    Super Nintendo years ago had a cartridge game called "Eye of the Beholder". It was set in Waterdeep and went into Undermountain. Being both Baldur's Gate, Luskan (the biggest city closest to Icewind Dale) and does Amn have relations. All kinds of NPC's both playable and non playable could be be brought in. Or even children of NPC's, say one of Keldorn's daughters perhaps for example. Setting up an urban crawl with a HUGE underground dungeon might be a way to go.
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    I would like to see a new game on a new engine, new models and everything and make it easily mod-able and maybe even a creation kit!

Or I'll even be happy if they just take PoE and turn it into baldur's gate :D

Would like to see a new CHARNAME as I think the current CHARNAME story has finished and it isn't much fun when you are level 40! A new generation of characters but with some of the old character returning.
    dunbar
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

This sounds like it would be something original, as opposed to an EE of an existing game...

When you finish that version of the first design document which may just be The One, press save, and think: "Yes. This is right."

— David Gaider (@davidgaider) April 12, 2016

Yes, and this original has something to do with Bhaal:

AzzaraAstroBryGuycmk24
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    I love a new game based on the forgotten realms RPG or even the novels - there are so much possibilities for new stories and games. Using infinity engine you won't have to do as much since you can make the stories easily fit in with 2nd AD&D edition rules.

• prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    And please no more 2e games, it already served its purpose and it is time to move on
    BillyYankkanisatha
  • fearlessfearless Member Posts: 40
    Maybe a revive of the dragonlance TC and expansion of that? Thats mostly 2e from when the original books and D&D modules and player books came out.
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    I've not played 5e but hear it's good from a friend, Could make a Infinity engine 2 using 5e rules as long as it feels like a Infinity engine game
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    please please pleeeeaaase make PS:T EE best game of all the infinity engine games.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    edited April 2016

I don't think I could enjoy any game that starts you out at epic levels with HLA's. I don't even like high level play. I want to play a new game where I can start a level one character.

So this!! This is the biggest reason I love BG more than BG2. Nothing beats the feeling of starting out at level 1 and being a puny inconsequential person in the world who must run away from goblins or even wolves, and then gradually gaining in power and stature. To this day when I play BG, that awesome feeling remains when I get my first magical (+1) sword.
    Post edited by kanisatha on
    BelgarathMTHdunbardrakir

And please no more 2e games, it already served its purpose and it is time to move on

Amen to this! Someone please kill 2e. We have an awesome new ruleset out there in 5e. Let's start using it for cryin' out loud.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited April 2016
    It has been confirmed by the devs that if their game will be new (not EE) it will use the 5E. If, however, the next game will be an EE, it will retain the same rules the vanilla game uses.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/700725#Comment_700725
    EnialusMeliamnecmk24Ardul
  • AriusArius Member Posts: 92
    Uggg 5th edition.
    ValtheJean
  • GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    Maybe they will work on another expansion but this time on BG2. Then when they are well practiced head on to making BG3.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    What's needed is NWN 3 - 5e rules, DM client, toolset. All future games could use that engine, single player, multiplayer, anything. That could be the new Infinity, literally. With player created content and persistent worlds along the old infinity style adventures.

NWN was the best thing ever to happen to digital DnD. I don't understand why it hasn't been recreated to modern standards.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Well NWN would need to be on a new engine, the Aurora engine was VERY crap to ranged characters.

Plus I never considered Neverwinter Nights to be that great. The core campaign was so... very meh. 'Course, I blame that more on the fact that it was side-developed with 3rd, rather than developed afterwards. The two "expansion" campaigns, however. Those were awesome. I'd still rather play Neverwinter Nights 2, however, because 3.5 was much more enjoyable than 3rd.

The only thing that would REALLY hold them back from doing a Neverwinter Nights 3 is probably the Neverwinter Online game that's still running. Sure, it's set during 4th, but they're still adding things to it, which are things any future game set in/around Neverwinter will have to keep account of.
    ThacoBell
    NWN Enhanced is out of the question now due to the licensing rights.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/688136/#Comment_688136
    lolienjackjackArdultbone1
    As a huge fan of the BG games I would not care for a new game titled "BG3". The story of 'Charname' is over and done with, and any use of the Baldur's Gate tag as a marketing ploy would be utterly lame, pathetic and indefensible.
    ThacoBell
  • ZilchkZilchk Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2016
    Ramiell said:

Hi there, despite all this controversy about SoD, personally I admit I really enjoyed the game. There is only one major issue for me - game is way too short ! Is there any info about Beamdog future projects? I'd love to see another Infinity Engine RPG based in a different part of Faerun with 2nd edition D&D rules and I was wondering if there is more folks like me and if you think such game could find it's place on the market ?

Probably some expansion to ToB because there are too many loose ends after BP2 and SoD. I suppose it can even get two expansions one to BG2 and one to ToB.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    bengoshi said:

Ugh, is this because of that awful, horrible, no good, very bad MMO? What a waste of an IP.
    sparkleav
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    edited April 2016
    As far as I'm aware isn't WOTC policy that if a new game is made by anybody they need to use the current edition of rules. I gotta be honest I love the 2nd edition rules. Produced some excellent games with it. I hear the new 5th edition is very similar to the 2nd. Can anyone familiar with it tell me how it compare to the 2nd/3rd/4th editions, at least CRPG wise?

I'm sure I hold the minority opinion in this, but I wasn't a big fan POE, I couldn't get into the stat systems and it felt convoluted to me.
    jackjackThacoBell
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I would say that 5th Edition works more or-less as a blending of 2nd and 3.5, while still having a bit more of the accessibility of 4th. 5th is a very "hard rules" light edition though, relying a lot more on DM rulings than 3.5 or 4th.

5th also does a pretty good job at lessening the glaring differences between martial and caster classes, martial characters are a lot better off than they used to be. Casters are also no longer limited to "cast spells until you run out then shoot with a crossbow." With the new Cantrip system, casters can feel like casters all the time, since Casters don't run out, unlike normal spell slots, which are actually much more limited than previous editions. A full caster has only a couple sixth and seventh level slots, and only one eighth and ninth slot for the whole day.

Unfortunately, the one video game we have so far that was made during 5th, Storm Coast Legends, plays a lot more like a 4th edition game would.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    edited April 2016
    I listened to the twitch stream (while playing Baldurs Gate!) here are my thoughts:

Positive --

1. I agree with the devs that 2nd and 5th are the best of editions. I didn't either like either 3rd or 4th and expected to dislike 5th but yikes was I wrong. 5th is fantastic. It combines the best components of all the games.

2. The devs are considering giving the infinity engine an overhaul.

3. They want to make BG3

4. @David_Gaider is involved

5. The SOD writing was very good.

6. I agreed with the comments on romances. I'd like to see more *non sexual* relationship stories in the game.

7. SOD corrected the Evil Edition problem. I never play evil charnames and BG2ee left me with very little content from which to choose. Not true of SOD.

8. SOD had plenty of content for an expansion.

Negative --

1. I didn't like the talk about moving away from the infinity engine. You can't reduce IE down to real time + pause. PoE was supposed to feel like IE but it doesn't -- PoE combat isn't much fun. (still a great game -- great game, boring battles)

2. Didn't like Trent talking about the importance of limiting the material. BG2 -- the best game ever -- was a kitchen sink game. That game gave us the best of the 2nd ed rules.

3. Philip talking about his fondness for insta-death, scrounge for equipment type games. Bleh.

4. Beamdog's dev time. At the current rate we are talking 5 - 7 years before BG 3. No really. It took them more than 3 years to produce SOD. I think we'll have 4 or 5 installments of Star Wars before we see a BG 3.

5. SOD was linear and I don't want a linear BG 3

6. SOD's battles were like IWD. In the twitch @PhillipDaigle said 'every battle is a puzzle' but that is IWD not BG. In IWD there is a best strategy to follow -- in BG2 there are dozens of different ways to win a battle. This is one of the reasons BG2 has more replay value than does IWD -- instead of thinking 'I figured this out last run -- time to switch to blunt weapons and acid attacks' I can think 'I know how the mage wins this on my last run, how is my druid going to win it this time.'? BG battles = fun

7. I didn't like @TrentOster 's views on 'the internet' which I translated as "I don't engage, I listen to people I like and ignore those I don't. I won't be moved by others" (unless the people I don't like review bomb me and then I fold)

8. So much praise for the new UI. This is part of the 'don't like the internet' problem. Fans -- real fans, not the GG idiots -- aren't happy with the new UI. Might be easier to program but the 1.3 UI *felt* better.

Dare I say this:

9. I know I'm in the minority but I actually prefer turn based to real time games. I want any RT-pause game to lean towards turn based.

Edit -- another positive note, the voice acting *was* excellent!
    [Deleted User]
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    jackjack said:

bengoshi said:

Ugh, is this because of that awful, horrible, no good, very bad MMO? What a waste of an IP.
    Well it doesn't have to be called Neverwinter Nights. I don't think anyone wants the game remade for the rather mediocre campaign. We want it for the powerful toolset and DM client.

So 5e rules + toolset + DM client = greatness for years to come.

The only thing holding NWN back is the prehistoric graphics engine.
    EnialusMeliamnejackjacktbone1
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    PSTEE; BG2EE expansion; IWD2EE; Original title

That's my prognostication :smile: