Skip to content

Player how-to: Getting mods to work on BGEE

Comments

• evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93

I'm really confused. Using Windows 10, I use the command prompt in step #3 to get to the folder with dialog.tlk, and it keeps telling me that access is denied. Not sure how to fix that. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Any advice at all? I can't bring myself to play without mods, and I can't seem to get the access to work for the command prompt. Been about four months since I last asked, so here I go trying again...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @evildevil97 in Windows 10 if you install the game in Program Files you need Administrator privileges to change anything. It's better to install in another folder.
    evildevil97
    Thanks. Uninstalled from the old location and am redownloading the game as we speak. I'll try to get the mods to work in the morning.
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @evildevil97 Let us know if it works or not :)
    Noobaccaevildevil97
    edited April 2016
    I must be missing something else now. I got the hardlink of dialog.tlk in there, but now I'm getting another error:
    ERROR: could not match a directory in ./dialog.tlk
    ERROR: problem parsing TP file [SETUP-DUNGEONBEGONE.TP2]: Not_found

FATAL ERROR: Not_found
    Haha. I'm an idiot. Nevermind. I just did everything in the wrong folder still. Thanks much for the Windows 10 assistance!
    mlnevese
  • DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698
    Hello all,
    we are creating a mod that includes some new items, created by us. For each one, we have a .itm, a .bam and a .bmp.
    In the 1.3 version of BG:EE, the items are visualised just fine, while in the updated versione, 2.0, I cannot see anymore the .bmp imagine in the item page, as you can see below.

I suspect that this is linked to some news in the 2.0 version. Do you know how this problem could be solved?

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    @Davide Patch 2.0 returned to use BAM files for description images. However, you probably have to update the center position. Simply set it to [0,0].
    AedanDavide
    argent77 said:

@Davide Patch 2.0 returned to use BAM files for description images. However, you probably have to update the center position. Simply set it to [0,0].

Thank you. :smile:
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2016
    CHAIN can be used for NPC/NPC banters. So, this interaction:

Sharsek: blablabla
    Xzar: blablabla
    Montaron: blablabla
    Sharsek: blablabla
    Xzar: blablabla
    Montaron: blablabla
    CHARNAME REPLY 1: blablabla EXTERN MONTAJ bla1
    CHARNAME REPLY 2: blablabla EXTERN MONTAJ bla2
    CHARNAME REPLY 3: blablabla EXTERN MONTAJ bla2

Would look like this (if you have previously made sure that Monty and Xzar are both present and valid for dialog, you can skip the conditionals on their lines):

CHAIN IF ~%CONDITION_FOR_DIALOG_TO_START%~ THEN RASHARS SharsekQuest1
    ~blablabla~
    == ~%XZAR_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("Xzar") InMyArea("Xzar") !StateCheck("Xzar",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ ~blablabla~
    == ~%MONTARON_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("Montaron") InMyArea("Montaron") !StateCheck("Montaron",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ ~blablabla~
    == RASHARS ~blablabla~
    == ~%XZAR_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("Xzar") InMyArea("Xzar") !StateCheck("Xzar",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ ~blablabla~
    == ~%MONTARON_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("Montaron") InMyArea("Montaron") !StateCheck("Montaron",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ ~blablabla~
    END
    ++ ~blablabla~ EXTERN %MONTARON_JOINED% bla1
    ++ ~blablabla~ EXTERN %MONTARON_JOINED% bla2
    ++ ~blablabla~ EXTERN %MONTARON_JOINED% bla2
    EDIT: I assumed use of cpmvars (cross-platform variables for Tutu/BGT/BGEE). See BG1NPC's lib directory for the files.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    Aedan
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @AstroBryGuy
    Awesome. THANK YOU very much for your kind reply :)
    If I want to be sure that my mod can be installed on Tutu and BGT, is there something specific I should do?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Aedan Yuo can forget about tutu, for BGT: you better first add support for EET: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=195 and then it would be easier for you to add support for BGT
    @Alien
    What I need to know is this: do I have to do someting specific while compiling the tp2 file to ensure BGT compability?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Aedan Yes, you need to include code for platform-specific area numbers and other things. Read BGT documentation
    Aedan
    @ALIEN
    Thanks a lot! :)
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    ALIEN said:

forget about tutu

ALIEN said:

you better first add support for EET: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=195 and then it would be easier for you to add support for BGT

@ALIEN, that's bad advice:

1) there is no reason to forget about Tutu as cpmvars, and similar collections of variables, support Tutu as well as BGT and people are still playing Tutu nowadays. In fact, some people still prefer Tutu to BGT or BG:EE. I know because I'm one of those people :)

2) adding support for all platforms from the beginning is much easier than adding support one platform at the time (believe me, I tried both approaches and I've learned that the hard way).

@Aedan, I will gladly provide advice on how to add crossplatform support, but this is a very large topic and I don't want to derail too much this thread, so I think it is better if I start a new one.
    Aedan
    edited April 2016
    @Erg
    Thank you! Crossplatform support is something that I really want to include in our mods. I found many threads about modding, but nothing about this subject. I will appreciate your help :)
    Post edited by Aedan on
    ErgRavenslight
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Hey, @CamDawg
    Love your guide! I had a question, though.
    Is it possible to hardlink dlg.tlk file the opposite direction? You suggest hardlinking from the game directory to the .lang file where dlg.tlk is kept, but can you instead cut dlg.tlk into the directory and hardlink from the .lang folder?
    I ask because neither infinity explorer or DLTCP work with dlg.tlk in the .lang folder. In order to solve this, I just copy and paste dlg.tlk file into the directory, but then I end up having 2 dlg.tlk files (a copy and a hardlink) in the same folder. That means I have to remember to delete the copied one before I install any mods, or copy and paste again when I edit anything.
    So I ask if it is feasible to just hardlink the opposite direction? It seems that would cause some extra computing power... what are your thoughts?
    edited April 2016
    @mashedtaters, when you create an hard link you basically have the same file in two different places, so the hard link always works both ways.

That said, you don't need hard links anymore. Just update WeiDU and NI to the latest versions and everything should work just fine. I think the same should apply to the most recent version of DLTCP, but I don't personally use it, so I'm not sure.
    mashedtaters
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Well now… Don’t I feel silly. :) How did I miss that? Thank you @Aedan ! And thank you @Erg !
    AedanErgGozeta
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    edited April 2016
    @Erg @CamDawg
    I don't use Near Infinity because I don't use Java.
    As far as Weidu is concerned, not all the mods I use have the most updated versions of Weidu for their installations. Maybe you have suggestions for a work around for that?
    That aside, the question still stands, but I think you may have tried to answer it. If it is the case, however, that creating a hardlink put the file in two separate places, why doesn't infinity explorer and DLTCP recognize the hardlink?
    (As a side note, I use NTFSLink tool in order to create my hardlinks. It saves tons of time with multiple installs. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/147818#Comment_147818 )

Edit: I have infinity explorer 0.85 and DLTCP 7.7. If these are not the latest versions, could someone please let me know.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @mashedtaters WeiDU (which is the software hidden under the name setup-XXX.exe in the mods) has a built-in way to auto-update if one of the mods already in the game directory uses a newer version that the one used in the mod you're trying to install. There are cases where auto-update doesn't work. And if you install an old mod first, if can't update anyway.
    To ensure you use the latest version for your mods, download WeiDU, extract weidu.exe from the archive and copy it into the game folder. Extract your mods into the game folder. For each mod, delete the setup-XXX.exe file, make a copy of weidu.exe and rename it under the name setup-XXX.exe (replace XXX with the right name for each mod). In order not to make a mistake in the name, copy it before delete the initial file.
    WeiDU has to be told the language you want to use in game. It will ask for it the first time you run it. Open the file weidu.conf in the game directory, if it exists, to check the language you selected. It shall match the hardlink you make, otherwise update the file or change your hardlink.

DLTCEP 7.7 doesn't need a link. It's best to configure it properly so that is uses the file directly in the right language. Go to Settings -> Change settings, then select the right setup if you have several and click on Set WeiDU options. Now click on the "Language" list and select the one you want and check "Use language". Click OK then Save & Back to save your settings.
    Your language choice in DLTCEP shall match your choice in game AND the hardlink you made, if you made any.

I have no problem using Infinity Explorer 0.85 with a linked dialog.tlk file.
    In principe, nowadays, using old tools such as Infinity Explorer is the only reason to use links. If the mod you're willing to use has not been updated with a new enough version of WeiDU that supports the EE game, there is a huge chance that the mod is not fully compatible with an EE game.

Beware of hardlinks though: they are broken anytime you install a patch for the game and if you delete or copy a file over the linked file. You should be very careful of not changing the file without a tool such as WeiDU or DLTCEP that will just write to it. Any other operation made with the file explorer will break the link. If you break a hardling, the file in the game folder will remain what the file was before you made the operation that broke the link.
    That could explain why you have problems with your link.

If you want links that persists through operations beyond simple writing into the file, use symbolic links. It's easy to spot the difference between both types : creating a symbolic will trigger an administrator authorisation (or a password request if your account does not have administrative rights). A symbolic link appears with type ".symlink" in explorer.
    Symbolic link requires Windows 7 or newer and NTFS partition. I use Link Shell Extension to handle them through the explorer context menu.
    Ergmashedtaters
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Erg A note about polish files after reading your guide (I didn't want to write in the middle of your work).
    If notepad++ somehow guesses about russian, it does recognize polish or czech. To get a proper display of polish texts, you have to tell notepad++ to use Windows-1250 encoding in the Encoding menu, Character Set, Central European. When you see those tiny 1,2,3, it's a sign that it's displayed with Windows-1252 (CP1252) encoding.
    For instance (from Yasraena mod), in CP1252
    Ka¿dy post¹pi³by
    In CP1250
    Każdy postąpiłby
    When you selected explicitely an encoding, notepad++ will display its name instead of only ANSI.

I'm not polish. However when I'm willing to check that polish files are properly encoded for BG II or EE games, I look for the presence of this dashed l character: ł.

Note that polish version of Baldur's Gate uses another encoding. I'm not sure it has a CP something equivalent. A few mods, such as BG1 UB, that covers all games with a single version, handle it. BG1 UB converts to it with search and replace of characters.
    Erg
    edited April 2016
    @Isaya, many thanks.

I will update, later on, my post to account for your comments.

I'm also considering adding something about using chardet, as alternative to Notepad++, for encoding detection.
    Isaya said:

I didn't want to write in the middle of your work

I've created a new thread to encourage discussion and receive feedback about the tutorial. It can be found here.
    Post edited by Erg on
    edited April 2016
    Hello all,
    I have another problem with items. I need to rename the associated files (I....BAM and C....BAM), so that they have a unique name with "our" prefix (registered on that forum etc.).

I did it, so that every item has RAITMnn.ITM, with a RAIITMnn.BAM and a RACITMnn.BAM. Then, I edited the items through DLTCEP (opening the file in the mod directory, not the one in override) to modify the name associated in the "Icons & Item attributes" tab.

However, if I apply the mod and check in the game, I can't see anything about the items, both in the shop page and in the item description, that is also lacking of the text.

Does anyone know how I can solve this?

Ps: at the moment, I am changing the name in the moment when I copy the files (from the mod directory to the override) in the tp2 file, can this create the problem?
    example: COPY ~Mercante/BLUN12.ITM~ ~override/RAITM02.ITM~
    Davide said:

Hello all,
    I have another problem with items. I need to rename the associated files (I....BAM and C....BAM), so that they have a unique name with "our" prefix (registered on that forum etc.).

I did it, so that every item has RAITMnn.ITM, with a RAIITMnn.BAM and a RACITMnn.BAM. Then, I edited the items through DLTCEP (opening the file in the mod directory, not the one in override) to modify the name associated in the "Icons & Item attributes" tab.

However, if I apply the mod and check in the game, I can't see anything about the items, both in the shop page and in the item description, that is also lacking of the text.

Does anyone know how I can solve this?

Ps: at the moment, I am changing the name in the moment when I copy the files (from the mod directory to the override) in the tp2 file, can this create the problem?
    example: COPY ~Mercante/BLUN12.ITM~ ~override/RAITM02.ITM~

I think I solved the issue: it was related to the .sto file. There I forgot to update the name of the items, having the old ones, that's why I couldn't see them in the store list. :)
    AedanErg
  • PentiumDPentiumD Member Posts: 62
    edited December 2016
    Hey i was wondering i have a request dunno if its gonna help but i have a mod i like to use for BG2 EE but some of the mods wont detect BG2 EE TOB when i install it. Anyone who is good can fix this mod.

http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?topic=7778.0 The mods name is Baldur's Gate 1 NPCs in SoA & ToB