Skip to content

Class/Kit Attempt: Warlock

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @UnknowLOL
    Glaive and Claw are correct, you should have that APR after level 13.
    As for the others, congratulations: you found another BG2EE v1.3 exclusive bug.
    It looks like the Warrior APR is being applied to weapons whether or not they are proficient with them.
    This does not happen in BG1EE or IWDEE, as you should not and do not get warrior APR for weapons that you not proficient with.

This is primarily why BG2EE is listed as "work in progress". There are just too many bugs to be worked around. I will look into a way around this, but it will take some time, if its doable.
  • UnknowLOLUnknowLOL Member Posts: 30
    edited November 2015
    Heh, I see. Well even if it is not possible to force 1 APR without breaking other stuff, at the very least Eldrich Sculptor should do something.

Btw Blast and Blow are both quite weak even with 2 APR especially when comparing them to more advanced shapes. Glaive with grandmastery hla is far superior to Blow with 2 APR hla.

Edit:
    Tested hla table and here are some observations:
    - It didn't let me take neither Extend nor Maximize Chain even though I do have Chain invocation.
    - Claw Grandmastery locks out if I select Eldrich Sculptor first. I can have both if I do it the other way around.
    - Armored Caster is not unlocked for me when I take Battlecaster hla (the one which works without converting lesser invocation). Didn't test it with the other one. Edit: it unlocks alright.

Edit 2:
    Eldrich Ward does nothing when cast with Penetrating Essence. After the cast it neither creates a visual effect nor applies magic resistance. Edit: well it seems that it does something actually, it adds permanent not dispellable magic damage resistance.

Activating Hellfire Essence causes the same kind of bug - Eldrich Ward is never dispelled by chosing another shape and is permanently stuck on a character (both the visuals and the actual resistance effect).
    Post edited by UnknowLOL on
    Ok, my previous post becomes too much like a charname's journal entry with all the "edits".

-Armored Caster unlocks just fine, it doesn't show it immediately after taking Battlecaster though.

-Claw and Glaive grandmasteries hlas are both excluded by Eldrich Sculptor for no reason.

-Eldrich Chain hidden hla which is required to take Extend or Maximize is not granted when choosing it through dialogue ability, thus preventing those hlas from ever being taken.

-Penetrating Essence causes the aforementioned issue with stacking magic damage res both as primary and secondary essence. Also I'm not sure it works offensively as intended - I've been smacking it into adamantite golem's face for 10 minutes or so and it always "lowered magic resistance" but never actually hit him. Maybe it is just not appropriate target to test on, but I have trouble finding another.

-Focused Blast hla essence doesn't provide any visual feedback upon activation. That's fine if it is intended, I just can't think of a reliable test to see if it really is activated.
    UnknowLOL said:

-Armored Caster unlocks just fine, it doesn't show it immediately after taking Battlecaster though.

Unfortunately a limitation of the HLA screen. It's not designed for multiple requirement/exclusion options. HLA-granting levels need to be taken one at a time, just like trying to take the same HLA multiple times.
    UnknowLOL said:

-Claw and Glaive grandmasteries hlas are both excluded by Eldrich Sculptor for no reason.

This was intentional, but I guess unnecessary. I'll remove it.
    UnknowLOL said:

-Eldrich Chain hidden hla which is required to take Extend or Maximize is not granted when choosing it through dialogue ability, thus preventing those hlas from ever being taken.

Found and fixed, oddly it was not caused by the switch to dialogue - the base file didn't have it either, so I don't know when I broke this. I cannot fix it retro-actively though.
    UnknowLOL said:

-Penetrating Essence causes the aforementioned issue with stacking magic damage res both as primary and secondary essence. Also I'm not sure it works offensively as intended - I've been smacking it into adamantite golem's face for 10 minutes or so and it always "lowered magic resistance" but never actually hit him. Maybe it is just not appropriate target to test on, but I have trouble finding another.

Offensive issue: It's working, just not long enough to notice. Somehow the final version had the duration set to 0, at every instance.
    Stacking issue: Found and fixed for both penetrating and Hellfire. Hellfire will not work with the default Eldritch Essence active as the primary though, to prevent stacking.
    UnknowLOL said:

-Focused Blast hla essence doesn't provide any visual feedback upon activation. That's fine if it is intended, I just can't think of a reliable test to see if it really is activated.

It does lack a visual component, but I can confirm it working - Frightful Blast's Panic is not level-restricted while it is active. Fortunately, the secondary blast essences are all removed by the spell that brings up their subspell menu, so you don't risk deactivation by re-selecting the same essence.

I've also improved Sculptor to give the effects of Specialization for Blast/Blow(+.5 APR and +1 Thac0), so it at least does something for now. The way things are looking though, their APR issue will have to wait until BG2EE gets patched. And if they import that behavior into the other games, I may have to redo all the Blast weapons anyway.

Sorry for the delayed response, unfortunately edits do not update the thread notification system, so I never noticed the update to your previous post.
    Penetrating Ward still stacks (now it is proper magic resistance and it applies the visuals). Hellfire with Rupturing got me permanent normal weapon immunity. Hellfire with Vitrolic dispelled ok. I'll try to test every combination.

Everything else is fixed.
    UnknowLOL said:

Penetrating Ward still stacks (now it is proper magic resistance and it applies the visuals). Hellfire with Rupturing got me permanent normal weapon immunity. Hellfire with Vitrolic dispelled ok. I'll try to test every combination.

Sorry, Rupturing had the same issues as Penetrating, I should have checked it as well.
    Found the other issue with permanency, missing files, sitting in my override instead of being installed.
    edited November 2015
    Ok, cannot test it yet, I'll do it tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the anti time stop contingency of the Dark Foresight does not trigger for me. Tested it on liches, tried refreshing DF just before the encounter, same result.

Permeating blast sometimes deals damage to me when I use it with Glaive.

Edit:
    Penetrating and Rupturing Wards are fixed, thanks.

Solo Flee the Scene from the hla is a bit op, since it can be cast infinite times per round. Furthermore it can spawn clones like crazy while the game is paused. I suggest to put one round cooldown (as with Eldrich Implosion) so that it is still uninterruptible, but will not be abused.
    Post edited by UnknowLOL on
  • Wicked_JokerWicked_Joker Member Posts: 2
    Hello I keep having a recurring problem with my characters insta-dying sometimes when my Warlock kills something. I am using eltrich blast with brimstone essence. Seems to happen mostly if the blast passes through one of my characters and causes the death of an enemy in the same hit. I am sure that is not intended and it doesn't even do a damage roll so it kills at full hp. here is a screenshot.

the mods i have installed must be conflicting so ill list what I have and perhaps you can tell me what the culprit is. Or maybe i need a new install order? Weidu log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~CONVENIENCESCRIPT/CONVENIENCESCRIPT.TP2~ #0 #0 // ConvenienceScript
    ~A7#IMPROVEDARCHER/SETUP-A7#IMPROVEDARCHER.TP2~ #0 #0 // Improved Archer Kit: v2.1
    ~A7#IMPROVEDARCHER/SETUP-A7#IMPROVEDARCHER.TP2~ #0 #100 // Add +4 arrows, bolts and two powerful bows to the game: v2.1
    ~WARLOCK[CLERIC]/WARLOCK[CLERIC].TP2~ #0 #0 // Warlock Kit / Cleric Class -> IWDEE: No Attribute requirements: 1.0
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #102 // Change Spiritual Hammer into a ranged force weapon: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #104 // PnP Color Spray: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #115 // Allow Mages to scribe memorized spells onto scrolls -> Scrolls can be scribed everywhere: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #125 // Rangers' Animal Empathy improves with experience: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Additional racial traits for Dwarves: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #140 // Additional racial traits for Gnomes: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #185 // PnP Fey creatures: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #186 // Revised Call Woodland Beings spell: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #201 // Instant casting for warrior innates: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #211 // Make Death Ward protect against Vorpal Hits: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #210 // Restore the Dispel Magic vulnerability to Nishruu and Hakeashars: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #212 // Make alignment detection spells more accurate: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #213 // Expanded saving throw bonus tables for Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings: v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #500 // Slightly expanded storage capacity for containers -> Use the recommended storage capacity value (999): v4.42
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #510 // Expanded temple services: v4.42
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~WARLOCK_UPDATE_ADDITIONS/WARLOCK_UPDATE_ADDITIONS.TP2~ #0 #0 // WARLOCK_UPDATE_ADDITIONS: 1.0
    ~WARLOCK_UPDATE_ADDITIONS/WARLOCK_UPDATE_ADDITIONS.TP2~ #0 #0 // WARLOCK_UPDATE_ADDITIONS: 1.0
    ~SETUP-NOREST.TP2~ #0 #0 // No Alignment Restrictions
    ~SETUP-NOREST.TP2~ #0 #1 // No Race Restrictions
    ~SETUP-NOREST.TP2~ #0 #2 // High Level Abilities (IWD: EE only)

Hello I keep having a recurring problem with my characters insta-dying sometimes when my Warlock kills something. I am using eltrich blast with brimstone essence. Seems to happen mostly if the blast passes through one of my characters and causes the death of an enemy in the same hit. I am sure that is not intended and it doesn't even do a damage roll so it kills at full hp. here is a screenshot.

I am currently out of town on vacation, so it will be next year before I get a chance to do anything, but I will take a look when I can. But no, it should not have any effect on creatures between the Warlock and the target.
  • Wicked_JokerWicked_Joker Member Posts: 2
    kjeron said:

I am currently out of town on vacation, so it will be next year before I get a chance to do anything, but I will take a look when I can. But no, it should not have any effect on creatures between the Warlock and the target.
    ok thanks, I have since switched to eldrich chain and so far haven't encountered this, will let you know if I do. Enjoy your vacation!
    @Wicked_Joker
    I've not been able to reproduce your issue using the same mod setup, further, those mods do not edit any files related to Eldritch Blast, so I do not think it is a mod-compatability issue. I only know that whatever is happening is related to the projectile it uses and how spells and items can handle the same projectile differently. I can try altering the projectile structure for Eldritch Blast, but I will not know if it works until you test it.
    Is there any other information you can provide? Or better, could you attach your save(before and after it happens), along with all files named "WRLKBS0" from the override? I am quite curious how this is happening, especially since it is not displaying any "damage" string.
  • kovarlingkovarling Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    Nice mod! thanks!
    Post edited by kovarling on
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited April 2016
    @kjeron, any plans to bring this mod to BGEE or BG2EE?

It will not work in 2.0. Priest spells can no longer be restored for continuous use. Don't know why they made the change, but have requested they undo it. Also, instead of fixing the proficiency bug in BG2EE, they imported it into BGEE and SoD. I am considering migrating to a shaman kit to get around these issues, but that would require Shamans use the same dialogue-based spell selection, so its not ideal.
    Well, to be fair (or unfair, depending on how you look at it), isn't "not ideal" the name of the game in the BG series from the beginning? I mean, as long as it works though, right?

Well, to be fair (or unfair, depending on how you look at it), isn't "not ideal" the name of the game in the BG series from the beginning? I mean, as long as it works though, right?

True, and it currently depends on whether I can get the dialogue working. The Warlock's dialogue is pre-set, I only have to run it through Weidu. Creating one for the Shaman means it has to create itself at installation, for which I am learning as I go.
    Ah, I see. Well, I hope it works. I've really been itching to play a warlock in BGEE/SoD, since I heard you had this mod for IWDEE.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited April 2016
    kjeron said:

It will not work in 2.0. Priest spells can no longer be restored for continuous use. Don't know why they made the change, but have requested they undo it. Also, instead of fixing the proficiency bug in BG2EE, they imported it into BGEE and SoD. I am considering migrating to a shaman kit to get around these issues, but that would require Shamans use the same dialogue-based spell selection, so its not ideal.
    Wait, what? Sorry, I haven't looked at this mod in a while, but are you talking about the opcode, the action, or both (re priest spells not restorable)?

Edit: I mean effect 261... And, apparently I was thinking of AddSpecialAbility... Heh.

So, do I understand correctly that 261 doesn't work for cleric spells anymore?

Edit2: nm. Found the bug report (I consider it a bug)
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
    @rapsam2003
    First trial for v2.0 uploaded if you want to try.
    edited April 2016
    kjeron said:

@rapsam2003
    First trial for v2.0 uploaded if you want to try.

YES!

This is pretty damn awesome! I'm glad you decided to use warlocks as a shaman kit. I think it works better. Also, I do like the weapon choice limits.

I'M SO EXCITED! I actually restarted my current BGEE playthrough because I'm that excited!
    Post edited by rapsam2003 on
    @kjeron, one thing I REALLY like is that it's fully possible to be a "Gish" (see here for meaning/origin of the term: http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/30829/what-is-the-etymology-of-the-term-gish ) with your kit. I just finished the Nashkel Mines in my current playthrough, and already my guy is a badass. I admit, I did actually cheat and give him a "warlock" themed armor that I'd made up.* But if you take the right invocations, your warlock can easily become a melee badass with good AoE dmg spells.

*I'm willing to share this armor with you. It's basically a modified version of Elven Chain Mail, and is probably appropriate for mid-levels. The cost alone should prevent the player from buying it too early.
    - Add a check for the Planar Sphere stronghold if you haven't already completed it.
    - Added proper alignment checks to the Shaman spell selection.
    kjeron said:

- Add a check for the Planar Sphere stronghold if you haven't already completed it.
    - Added proper alignment checks to the Shaman spell selection.

YES! This means warlocks get a BG2 stronghold. :smiley:
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Will this work alongside FnP? Thanks for this wonderful mod btw if I haven't said so yet
    Illustair said:

Will this work alongside FnP? Thanks for this wonderful mod btw if I haven't said so yet

They have not released a public build, and I don't have the beta, so I just don't know.

I do not think it would break the Warlock itself. Hopefully the worst case would be it getting the default sphere's priest spells, which it may or may not remove at the next level.

In IWDEE, it should not have any effect on FnP kits.

It 2.0 games, it would probably break any other Shaman/kits though, depending on how they provide spells to the Shaman. I do know that the dialogue I provide Shaman kits for spell-selection will not work if all spells have been flagged not-usable by druids.
    Illustair
    Hey kjeron, glad you continued to support the mod despite the difficulties.

It seems there is a conflict between the latest Spell Revisions beta and Warlock which only happens when Warlock is installed last.
    Here are the relevant (I hope) lines from the debug file:

"[./override/SPLSHMKN.BCS] loaded, 539 bytes
    Copied [SPLSHMKN.BCS] to [override/SPLSHMKN.BCS]
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    [./override/SPLSHMKN.DLG] loaded, 144 bytes
    ERROR: cannot convert lcnt_6_3 or %lcnt_6_3% to an integer
    ERROR: [SPLSHMKN.DLG] -> [override/SPLSHMKN.DLG] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
    Stopping installation because of error."

If Warlock is installed first nothing bad happens (judging from the logs), though I don't know if anything ends up broken in the end. I guess it has something to do with shaman class being modified by both SpellRev and Warlock.

Also how about adding your mod into Big World Setup? I figured I would use sh*tton of mods this playthrough instead of just a handful most essential ones, but yours is not there for some reason. The tool itself handles mod conflicts and load order (which would make finding and solving the stuff described above easier), but is a bit restrictive and not trivial to use at all. It won't run if there any "outside" mods already pre-installed, thus I end up not being able to use Warlock without potentially screwing my hueg mod install. Also it looks like EE Trilogy will be released soon, so probably most people will use it?
    edited July 2016
    UnknowLOL said:

Also how about adding your mod into Big World Setup? I figured I would use sh*tton of mods this playthrough instead of just a handful most essential ones, but yours is not there for some reason. The tool itself handles mod conflicts and load order (which would make finding and solving the stuff described above easier), but is a bit restrictive and not trivial to use at all. It won't run if there any "outside" mods already pre-installed, thus I end up not being able to use Warlock without potentially screwing my hueg mod install. Also it looks like EE Trilogy will be released soon, so probably most people will use it?

BWS is awful. It's a bad hack at making things UI friendly. WeiDU does installs in a cleaner manner and with less problems than BWS. BWS is such a hack-y tool.

UnknowLOL said:

Hey kjeron, glad you continued to support the mod despite the difficulties.

It seems there is a conflict between the latest Spell Revisions beta and Warlock which only happens when Warlock is installed last.
    Here are the relevant (I hope) lines from the debug file:

"[./override/SPLSHMKN.BCS] loaded, 539 bytes
    Copied [SPLSHMKN.BCS] to [override/SPLSHMKN.BCS]
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    [./override/SPLSHMKN.DLG] loaded, 144 bytes
    ERROR: cannot convert lcnt_6_3 or %lcnt_6_3% to an integer
    ERROR: [SPLSHMKN.DLG] -> [override/SPLSHMKN.DLG] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
    Stopping installation because of error."

I had some typo's in the dialogue that don't normally get checked. I have uploaded a new version.

Just quickly looking at BWS, it puts more burden on the mod-maker than I am able to support.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707

WeiDU does installs in a cleaner manner and with less problems than BWS.

This comparison doesn't make sense to me.
    BWS and Weidu aren't two competing solutions for the same problem.
    In fact, BWS uses Weidu for the actual installation step.

The raison d'être of BWS is that it solves two pre-installation problems (which WeiDU doesn't concern itself with), by providing:
    1) Automated download of mods.
    2) Automated conflict/dependency resolution of mods.
    @kjeron
    Yeah I understand, as I said, for anything other than massive mod setup (like trilogy) it is probably more trouble than worth. They do provide stuff to ease it all out, but trying to figure it out by myself I quickly lost my initial energy =)

I confirm your update solved the installation conflict problem. Thanks.

@rapsam2003

BWS is awful. It's a bad hack at making things UI friendly. WeiDU does installs in a cleaner manner and with less problems than BWS. BWS is such a hack-y tool.

I'm not at all familiar with the tool as I've said (tried it for the first time), could you elaborate what's wrong with it pls? I may reconsider using it.