Skip to content

[MOD] More Style for Mages (v1.56)

Comments

• HalfwiseHalfwise Member Posts: 78
    edited April 2016
    Hmm, I really want to install this mod... (my character needs a frog-like familiar that the Lim-Lim would suit well).

But I'm hesitant to install it as a capper mod, meaning... I had already installed a bunch of stuff first (UB, RE, Quest Expansions, etc.)
    Now I could wipe the slate... and re-install everything again, with this earlier. But that would be for the third time.
    But when one has tweaked weapon styles, and spell tables, and and several kits, it becomes confusing to remember what affects what.

One question though... how does this function with weapon/style proficiencies? Does quarterstaff + two-hander style still apply?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    @Halfwise: This mod mainly adds new items and familiars. It doesn't change any mechanics, it should work fine with other mods (unless some of them significantly alter mage specialization schools, which the staffs have the ability to add to a character). The Lim-Lim animation will need a hotfix for game v2.1, I'll post it here. This mod is very due to an update but I still didn't get to it.

Staffs get a bonus for two-handed weapon style in melee mode, In the ranged mod, it deals stable magic damage regardless of characters strength or a critical hit.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Oh hey I installed this on bg1ee and when I tried to summon a lim-lim familiar it looked like a mushroom man. I assume that is what the 2.1 hotfix is for?
    @iavasechui the hotfix is for red dragon form only. The lim-lim fix is a bit complicated and I'm still figuring how the new engine handles new animations. Lim-lim is bugged for now.
  • HalfwiseHalfwise Member Posts: 78

Oh hey I installed this on bg1ee and when I tried to summon a lim-lim familiar it looked like a mushroom man. I assume that is what the 2.1 hotfix is for?

Heh, I could live with a myconid familiar for the time being. Shame they are twice as tall as everyone else.
  • SilvarenSilvaren Member Posts: 178
    edited May 2016
    Best mod ever. I have one question though. It is affecting outlook of dual-class or multiclass mages by using mages sprites or sprites stay the same? I always wanted my cleric-mage to looks like pure mage (sprite wearing robe) but the engine use normal cleric sprite so even if that character is wearing a robe it looks terrible. Aerie for example is an exception, she's cleric-mage and looks just like mage - and I want that for my character. Or if fighter-mage could looks like Xan (mage wearing robe with sword in one hand).
    @Silvaren: This mod doesn't change the sprites, though it's a good idea. I think BG2 Tweaks mod has such component.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    I use eekeeper to change the paperdoll after I start a game if I don't like the one I got for my multiclass
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Ciao! :)

Attached the Italian translation of this WONDERFUL mod. May I ask you to add it? Please note that I translated v1.43.

While translating, I noticed some typos in the English version of this mod.
    • Schools of magic names should always be capitalized
    • Alternation -> the right word is Alteration
    • Illusions -> the right word is Illusion
    • THACO -> the right word is THAC0
    • Faerun -> the right word is Faerûn
    • futher -> further
    • nad -> and
    • save vs. spell -> save vs. Spell
    • Drow -> drow
    I fixed all these instances in the attached English file. Feel free to use it.
    Thanks for your attention and for your amazing modding activity!
    @Aedan: thanks will add. About the versions, I only left v1.43 there for non-english players because translations for v1.5 weren't ready yet. New translations should be based on 1.5.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Noted. Thanks :)
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    Is anyone else having issues with the NPC familiars on version 1.3? I've found that they can cast the spell, but it doesn't seem to do anything and a familiar won't appear just like in the normal game.

I guess the real question is, does vanilla mage mean one without any kits at all for this component? Because pretty much every NPC mage is specialized.
    @Ratatoskr589: The component should work fine on v1.3. However, only vanilla NPCs that can cast arcane magic spells can summon familiars. With what NPC are you trying to summon the familiar?
    @Pecca I've tried with both Xzar and Neera to the same lack of effect. But that was after I've messed with their kits and turned Neera into a sorcerer through a combination of Tomes & Blood and the NPC Kit mod. I haven't tried it on a clean install so it may be a bad interaction with one of those.
    @Ratatoskr589: The summoning by NPCs is not determined by class or kit. It is by a script which is appended to the existing script of those NPCs. If it doesn't work, then those scripts must have been altered.
    @Pecca That's good to know. I'm in the middle of a game right now, but I'll try it on a clean game when I can and see if I can figure out which mod is causing the issue.
  • MasterChefMasterChef Member Posts: 43
    I'm currently playing the most updated version of BG2, and I tried changing my berserker / mage dual into a fighter / diviner. The character's kits changed in the character page, but I did not get any extra spells on level up. Has this always been the case?
    @MasterChef: You should get the extra spell on level up. I'll need to look at it.
    Okay, that extra spell is not granted now, I guess the behavior somehow changed in the v2.0. I will include a fix for this in the next update. The update will be bigger, will have more changes and compatibility fixes with v2.0, so I can't really tell when it's going to be released. Though I aim for the end of July.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Hello, do you plan on looking into EET compatibility ?
    Eventually yes. First on the list is getting full post-2.0 patch compatibility though.
  • GardeminerGardeminer Member Posts: 6
    Hey, this is the first time I've tried to mod for BG:EE, I got the game really recently and wanted to download this mod, but no matter what configuration I use, it doesn't seem to work, the familiars didn't work at all, and what I think the staffs are instead replaced with "(placeholder) Story Ring", in Thalantyr's inventory. I haven't tried to buy or equip the items yet, because they seem to be buggy. And another item "Conrugon's Revenge +2" (Don't know what settings were needed to make that happen.) Seems like it should be armor, but its also a container? Is there something I'm just blatantly missing?
    It looks like the strings are wrong. Try equipping the items, make sure you're using latest version of the mod. If you're using Steam or GoG, make sure you used modmerge.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Hey, this is the first time I've tried to mod for BG:EE, I got the game really recently and wanted to download this mod, but no matter what configuration I use, it doesn't seem to work, the familiars didn't work at all, and what I think the staffs are instead replaced with "(placeholder) Story Ring", in Thalantyr's inventory. I haven't tried to buy or equip the items yet, because they seem to be buggy. And another item "Conrugon's Revenge +2" (Don't know what settings were needed to make that happen.) Seems like it should be armor, but its also a container? Is there something I'm just blatantly missing?

Did you purchase BGEE from Steam or GOG, and do you have Siege of Dragonspear installed?

If the answers are "yes", then did you use modmerge before installing mods?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use
    edited August 2016
    I'm not sure how to quote either of you, but the answer is yes (That I got it from Steam and that I have Siege of Dragonspear), I did not know modmerge was a thing I needed to use, I just used the standard installation instructions in the main thread post, I will see if this works.
    Post edited by Gardeminer on
    This worked gloriously when I used modmerge, that would have been very helpful to know about beforehand! I was not only able to summon a familiar and not get such a strange dialogue option, but I could also use all of their skills and the like, and the staff was equippable and I could do everything else with it. "Conrugon's Revenge +2" disappeared from Thalantyr's inventory, thank you for the help!

I have a general question besides that then, I know in the mod description it says that Sorcerer's only have the option to empower their staves universally, but that a "Staff of Dragon Power" exists, does this mean that if my character is a Dragon Disciple, that they get that staff, or would I have to be a mage first?
    There is a staff for dragon disciples. Sorcerers get the same staff as non-kitted mages.

modmerge needs to be used for any string related mod with Steam or GoG so it's not really on this mod to tell people to do it.

There is a staff for dragon disciples. Sorcerers get the same staff as non-kitted mages.

modmerge needs to be used for any string related mod with Steam or GoG so it's not really on this mod to tell people to do it.

Right, and I'm asking if the upgraded Staff of Wizardry +1 "Staff of Dragon Power" is that staff, or if it is one I have to choose as a mage.

Thats good to know though
    Yes, Staff of Dragon Power is the staff for Dragon disciple.
    edited August 2016
    I will update the installation instructions in the OP. I guess it is after all every mod's bussiness to describe to people how to properly install it. And using modmerge doesn't seem to be obvious at all.
    Post edited by Pecca on