Skip to content

Beamdog next project?

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

jackjack said:

bengoshi said:

NWN Enhanced is out of the question now due to the licensing rights.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/688136/#Comment_688136

Ugh, is this because of that awful, horrible, no good, very bad MMO? What a waste of an IP.
    Well it doesn't have to be called Neverwinter Nights. I don't think anyone wants the game remade for the rather mediocre campaign. We want it for the powerful toolset and DM client.

So 5e rules + toolset + DM client = greatness for years to come.

The only thing holding NWN back is the prehistoric graphics engine.
    Perhaps there's a misunderstanding here. I'm referring to this: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/digital-games/console-pcmac/neverwinter
    My theory is that because of this soulless MMO, the name Neverwinter itself is not available for use. I'm lamenting that such a dud could keep us from NWNEE, which I would love!
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    The Neverwinter MMO is a soulless MMO? Is it soulless because it is an MMO or is it soulless because of its actual quality. This distinction is not clear to me from prior posts.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Neverwinters greatest fault was that it was not Baldur's Gate 3 as far as I can tell.

I enjoyed it. In many ways preferred it.

The stories however... They just were not as epic... And one companion only... Ugh... It turned what should have been amazing into, frustratingly nearly amazing.
    ThacoBell
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Well when you're just an average adventurer-turned-hero rather than some god-spawn, the epic levels do go down. It's not really fair on the adventurer's end.
    sparkleav
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @BelleSorciere I'm dragging us off-topic here, so I'll wrap up by saying that between the interface, story, and art style, I remain uninterested in the MMO (I <3 NWN and NWN2)
    BelleSorcieresparkleav
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited April 2016
    @jackjack Sorry, I didn't help much with the dragging off-topic. obv you don't need to justify disliking a game.
    jackjack
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    could Beamdog get a licence to use the Eclipse Engine (Dragon Age Origins Engine) and convert it to use 5e rules? loved that engine but only saw 2 games on it :(
    That would involve dealing with EA. I'd think they'd be better off with other engines anyway, though yes, there were plenty of times I was playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and thought "Dang, this would look sweet in Dragon Age's engine."
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    NWN:EE wouldn't work anyway without a massive visual overhaul. The "first gen" 3D graphics look so dated and blocky now. 2D infinity engine graphics somehow stand the test of time better.

We just need a 5e crpg with faithful rules (couldn't touch SCL with a 10' pole after what they did to it) and toolset + dm client.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Please no toolset/dm. I'd rather beamdog use the budget needed to get something like that working on adding more content to the game. having more locations, quests, story beats, enemies, items, etc. is always preferable to me.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

I will say we're currently further ahead on developing it than we were on SoD in January 2014.

Is it time for a new "All you wanted to know about" thread? ;)
    brussparkleavGenderNihilismGirdle
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited April 2016
    bengoshi said:

Is it time for a new "All you wanted to know about" thread? ;)

Could we name this unannounced project somehow internally as community? I guess it won't be BG3 so BGNext is not at the point.
    Like Project Fireball, X,Storm,Severance,Sanctuary,Hurricane,Realm Z,Ivory Plane,Sapphire, Soul Nexus etc...
    JuliusBorisovjackjacksparkleav
  • RamiellRamiell Member Posts: 58
    I really hope game is going to be based in Underdark, or at least feature it
    drakir said:

brus said:

Could we name this unannounced project somehow internally as community?

One vote for Project Gazebo.

Clearly it should be Project Dogwood. Because Beamdog. Get it? ...I'll show myself out.
    drakirsparkleavThacoBell
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    drakir said:

One vote for Project Gazebo.

Sold.
    JuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
  • ZilchkZilchk Member Posts: 46
    jackjack said:

jackjack said:

bengoshi said:

NWN Enhanced is out of the question now due to the licensing rights.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/688136/#Comment_688136

Ugh, is this because of that awful, horrible, no good, very bad MMO? What a waste of an IP.
    Well it doesn't have to be called Neverwinter Nights. I don't think anyone wants the game remade for the rather mediocre campaign. We want it for the powerful toolset and DM client.

So 5e rules + toolset + DM client = greatness for years to come.

The only thing holding NWN back is the prehistoric graphics engine.
    Perhaps there's a misunderstanding here. I'm referring to this: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/digital-games/console-pcmac/neverwinter
    My theory is that because of this soulless MMO, the name Neverwinter itself is not available for use. I'm lamenting that such a dud could keep us from NWNEE, which I would love!
    5e bestiary and class selection suck compared to previous editions and 3.5e in particular.
    edited April 2016
    Neverwinter Nights sold over 2 million copies on the PC, in spite of the rather mediocre campaign.

NWN 2 had a proper toolset and DM client but anyone who's played it knows that the gameplay just wasn't there. It felt stiff and unresponsive and had performance and clipping issues and whatnot.

Sword Coast Legends attempted something similar but mutilated D&D 5e in the process and flopped miserably.

The evidence is right there what players want. NWN 1 and 2 had huge lifespans but they're both hopelessly dated now. It's baffling NWN has not been remade for 5e rules, as the digital "all you need" version of D&D 5e.

Beamdog / Trent O. / WotC, make it happen already. ,-)
    Ardul
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited April 2016
    @1varangian
    Trent said many times that he would love to do a NWNEE, but right now there are licensing issues.
    I am confident that in the very end he will find a solution - that man brougth to life the BG saga despite the odds :wink:
    Post edited by Aedan on
    JuliusBorisovsparkleavdrakir
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871

They should call it a day with the EE's and make new games with 5e rules now.

NWN would look horribly dated now. It would need much more enhancing than BG and BG2 put together.

I agree with you. It'll take time but I think it'll be well worth the effort.
    Gozeta
  • ZilchkZilchk Member Posts: 46

Neverwinter Nights sold over 2 million copies on the PC, in spite of the rather mediocre campaign.

NWN 2 had a proper toolset and DM client but anyone who's played it knows that the gameplay just wasn't there. It felt stiff and unresponsive and had performance and clipping issues and whatnot.

Sword Coast Legends attempted something similar but mutilated D&D 5e in the process and flopped miserably.

The evidence is right there what players want. NWN 1 and 2 had huge lifespans but they're both hopelessly dated now. It's baffling NWN has not been remade for 5e rules, as the digital "all you need" version of D&D 5e.

Beamdog / Trent O. / WotC, make it happen already. ,-)

Remaking NW wih 5e makes no sense since they would have to remove many classes. Epic and prestige classes don't exist in 5e.
    jackjack
    Yep a completely new 5e game with a toolset and DM client is what should be made. With a great single player / co-op campaign of course. That's what's missing from the market today.
    sparkleavjackjackArdul
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    And they can be as artistically creative as they want (within the rules of course).
    jackjack
  • ProphetPXProphetPX Member Posts: 5
    Aedan said:

IWD2EE
    PSTEE
    TOEE EE
    IWD3

hehehee you forgot 1 game:

POR2 ROMD EE :D (Pool of Radiance 2: Ruins of Myth Drannor EE) :dizzy:
    jackjackPaulGreystoke
  • superfly86superfly86 Member Posts: 31
    Hi, I think you forgot about few great games which are not popular actually
    I think after IWD2:EE and PST:EE it if is possible there should be created remake of Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader and maybe Arcanum (i know it's another engine etc but it's worth to try).
    A few things beamdog should do:
    - new engine which connect 2D graphics with 3d objects, a new and detailed skins, animations, spells etc. (like for example new Torment:Tides - it's beautifl I would like to see baldurs gate on that engine)
    - next thing is support for multilingual releases, current games after few years from release (like bg2:ee) don't have all localisations which were made originally e.g. polish.
    All modern RPG are multilingual from start like Banner saga, divinity, torment: tides of numera etc. These are thing which should be changed
  • LAZERDOGLAZERDOG Member Posts: 27
    edited September 2016

NWN:EE wouldn't work anyway without a massive visual overhaul. The "first gen" 3D graphics look so dated and blocky now. 2D infinity engine graphics somehow stand the test of time better.

^ this!

I'm currently replaying NWN and honestly - I don't see how an EE could work at all. The graphics are just horrible, as is the level design. In my opinion the game would need an entire reboot - and with the quality of the campaign I don't see how that would make any sense.

In my opinion NWN is one of the worst rpgs of that generation - especially due to the technical limitations. The infinity engine games convey so much more atmosphere - the areas are beautifully designed and feel unique. KotOR was a quantum leap after NWN and makes it look all the more dated.

Funny enough I'm not even convinced by the gameplay itself. I've played the game as a summoning mage - and that fell on its nose over the horrible ai (my pets would only engage the enemy after I attacked myself or got hit - and since I was quite squishy that was really worst case behavior). Also I felt like I was resting more than playing the game. Now I'm playing a warrior and I'm basically doing nothing except drinking a potion every now and then.

In contrast I'm having a blast with Sword Coast Legends. I'm using tons of abilities and the gameplay feels so much more like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale (planning every single step of all party members, ...). It's such a shame N-Space had to close its doors. I would have loved to see a sequel.

Yeah so bottom line: I just don't understand at all why people love NWN at all. Must be the custom campaigns :p But still looking past the technical limitations must be very hard.
    Post edited by LAZERDOG on
    kanisatha
    LAZERDOG said:

Yeah so bottom line: I just don't understand at all why people love NWN at all. Must be the custom campaigns :p But still looking past the technical limitations must be very hard.

This is what I've heard, and one reason why NWN is still more popular than NWN2, even though NWN2 works with the vastly superior 3.5 and has a much better party system for single player. All those community-made campaigns, dungeons and modules. It really was a DM's dream.
    LAZERDOG
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @LAZERDOG While I fully agree about the general ruleset and vanilla campaign, the two expansion campaigns are huge step up in quality.
    @JumboWheat01 I actually vastly prefer NWN2 to 1.
    LAZERDOG
  • LAZERDOGLAZERDOG Member Posts: 27

@LAZERDOG While I fully agree about the general ruleset and vanilla campaign, the two expansion campaigns are huge step up in quality.
    @JumboWheat01 I actually vastly prefer NWN2 to 1.

I'm planning on playing both expansions of NWN this time around. On my last attempt my pc died near the end of the first expansion pack :( It did feel a lot better however - that's true.

I also like NWN2 a lot more - even though it has huge problems with the movement resetting and level design. Seriously - who in the right mind would ever build such warehouses or buildings in general - the layouts are so much focused on gameplay that it's breaking the immersion time and time again. Nevertheless the game has its bright sides and Mask of the Betrayer is impressive!