Skip to content

Your favorite wild surge stories

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
I've got two. Please share your own.

(1) Awhile back in BG1 I took Neera. I cast magic missile at Nimbul, a cow fell from the sky and killed half the town. Instant reputation 1 with the flaming fist and bounty hunter after me. Good times!

(2) Just took her again, in the final fight of her BG1 quest. I cast magic missile...an a Nabasu came out. Before I knew what was happening Neera exploded and turned into a ghast. The party mobbed the Nabasu, sending it back to the abyss. I'll tell you though, that night when they went to sleep nobody slept easy, as all worried about whether they would turn into the undead next. Good thing that this Charname is neutral evil, as she was quite happy to receive Adoy's Belt for herself. Even with Neera dead, it was a profitable venture.

So those are my two wild surge stories. Anyone have one to share?

Comments

• LegendaryLegendary Member Posts: 53
    I wouldn't call this my favorite. More like, least favorite. I felt so stupid though.

So I hadn't really been paying attention to Neera's miscasts unless they had a direct effect on the fight. Sometime after I cleared Nashken mines I had a little over 20 grand gold, feeling pretty good because it was a decent haul for being so early in the game. Thanks in part to the gem bag I got with Neera letting me keep and sell so much.

I didn't frequently check my gold, and a couple of hours later after playing I was down to like, 2,000. Turns out Neera had quite a few wild surges, and one of them (which I can only imagine she got several times) reduced my gold significantly. I booted Neera from the party as soon as I finished her quest and hacked my gold back in.

Now I refuse to play with Wild Mages.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I didn't know the wild demon had the same gaze as aec. In bg2 its so inconsistent and they all only seem to paralyze.

My wild stories are shit. I always either get gold drain or hiccups. Darn.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Ahhhh.... my gold its almost all gone and now we don't have enough for the shadow thieves.

"OMG... a falling cow run for it......" KKKKaaaaaaBOOOOOOOoooooooooooommmmmm..... reload (everyone went to the after life but Neera and she was the closest)

"Ahhhh...woof woof woof" ...I've got paws ...how ...I'm a wolf (thoughts) since I can't speak as a wolf... woof woof...

Wow Neera healed herself who would have thought it.

"Ahhhhh...I've got this thing .... between .... my legs...," Neera screams with a deep voice (sex change)
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Hehehe... I need to do a playthrough where she's my main mage. Maybe with my monk...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

Hehehe... I need to do a playthrough where she's my main mage. Maybe with my monk...

Good idea. Innate magic resistance.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2016
    The best wild surge is 'spell cast and I feel refreshed' and it really turned a losing battle into a winning one for my wild mage pc.
    I will try a wild sorcerer next, (from a mod) it is a sorcerer with wild magic and +1 spell/lvl (on top of what a sorc gets) so it should be fun.
    And frankly, wild sorcerer makes more sense for Neera's plot, in there wild magic is treated as an innate ability or gift that is purely genetical. However in lore, wild magic is just another branch of science in magic, however a very chaotic and unpredictable one.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

A good rp run is an inquisitor. You can't put her down because she isn't evil and you can't just let her go as she is a danger to others (in BG1 at least). So you let her tag along, both for her protection and for others. Dispel magic in BG1, magic resistance in BG2
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    You are all giving me a good chuckle. I thank you for that. :)

You are also providing excellent examples to explain why Neera is forced to pray to the almightily EEKeeper god whenever I let her join the party. I really dislike the wild mage class. Though she is not my favorite character, she is much easier to take as a normal mage. :)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I've still never played as or taken a wild mage as an npc with me because of stories like these.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

I've still never played as or taken a wild mage as an npc with me because of stories like these.

I've tried taking Neera a few times, but honestly I think the random variations in caster level are much more annoying than the chance of wild surges. "You cast Chromatic Orb, but your caster level is lowered by 2, so it's CL 9 and doesn't do acid damage. The downed troll still isn't dead, and you wasted your spell."

And so on.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277

I've tried taking Neera a few times, but honestly I think the random variations in caster level are much more annoying than the chance of wild surges. "You cast Chromatic Orb, but your caster level is lowered by 2, so it's CL 9 and doesn't do acid damage. The downed troll still isn't dead, and you wasted your spell."

And so on.
    Worse when it lands on the petrify and destroys your loot. Ugh. Never use Chromatic Orb on a wild mage.

Worse when it lands on the petrify and destroys your loot. Ugh. Never use Chromatic Orb on a wild mage.

Most monsters don't really have worthwhile loot anyways (except for GP which are safe from petrify), so that isn't too big a deal, but yeah, something that varies so wildly in effect based on level doesn't belong on a wild mage. Of course, even something as simple as Stoneskin can get nerfed. Minus four levels means two fewer attacks blocked.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited June 2016
    Some of you remember this story, because know of you could freaking explain it to me and this was on a nonmodded game!

BG 2, I was a Charname wild mage at tradesmeet who decided to fight the freaking djinn I casted which wild surged but nothing happened at all. So i continue the game, but I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and my charname got melee'd to death by the djinn, OR SO I THOUGHT! My game didn't end when his hp hit zero, instead i instantly resurrected and even my charname and said "huh?"

I've looked at all the wild surge charts over and over again! To this day I have no freaking clue how it happened nor have i been able to duplicate it!

Why deny yourself the fun though?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Isn't it kinda odd that a wild mage can cast spells that the strongest mage in the world can't recreate? I don't know lore around spell creations, but if I were a strong mage (á la Elminster) and I saw a wildmage being able to cast a mirror image with area radius, I would perhaps try to create that spell myself. Being a superior mage, should I then be able to do that? Melf created his arrows, Abi Dalzim created his horrid wilting, Larloch created his drain etc. All of these are mages who has actually created spells, if I've understood it correctly*.

Imagine stoneskin/PfMW/Improved haste etc with area radius. Imagine the mage who wielded that power, to make entire armies invinvcible!

*I want to make it clear I am a huge noob when it comes to understanding these things and I may be completely wrong in assuming anything of the above!
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Perhaps that was the plan, but then the Spellplague happened and threw normal magical research in all sorts of directions, and now they're just starting to get thing back under control.

Or perhaps it has to do with the chaotic Wild Magic weave itself. That's an area no wizard studies these days (except probably the Thayans, but who wants to use a spell created by the Thayans?) and seems to be the domain of Sorcerers, who certainly don't do any real research into the arcane, they just use it, because that's how it works for them. And in fact, when talking to Neera, she mentions something similar when she talks about her magic, how she just sort of... does it. Sometimes, all the learning and experiments can't actually copy something that is done simply by being done.

Or they're just so obstinately stuck in their own ways that they just can't accept that such a thing can be done. "Mirror Image is always cast by the wizard ON the wizard, not on anyone else. It simply isn't to be. Rawrawrawrawr..." Wizards don't have a reputation for being stuck up for no reason.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    It even mirrored the nearby bat :smiley:
    Poor bat probably got really scared. :<
    @lunar
    Wait, did you multiple wild surge off of 1 spell?
    @lunar
    This topic is making want to reinstall the two games and make a new wild mage.
    cmk24 said:

The best wild surge I had happened right before the final fight of BG1:

As you can see Neera cast mirror image and got "wild surge: area of effect." It even mirrored the nearby bat :smiley:

Didn't happen to me, but I once saw a Let's Play where somebody's PC cast Simulacrum, and *that* got area effect. His next fight wound up being pretty easy.