Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    Icewind Dale is a better game for powergamers.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353

Icewind Dale is a better game for powergamers.

I wholeheartedly agree, but: How do you think that's unpopular as an opinion? :smile:

BTW on my IWD play through I stacked resistances on my Dwarven Defender until he was invulnerable by physical damage in Defensive Stance, Endgame. That's how IWD is for power gamers! :smiley:
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    @justfeelinathome I think it's an unpopular opinion, anecdotally, from how I got jumped on by some powergaming afficiandos in another thread for suggesting as much.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited June 2016
    Most of the EE items have poor / annoying stats. And I'm keeping it polite.

Like the wazikashi that drains 2 wisdom. Sounds great on paper right? Instakill when it reaches zero!

Except a normal save vs death cancels it AND it only lasts 2 rounds, making it impossible to stack without whirlwind. By the time you have whirlwind, nobody fails their save.

Infact, has any worthwhile enemy ever failed a save that doesn't have a malus in BG2? I'm starting to question myself if I really enjoy dice rolls after all.

I don't always have a bag of malisons at my disposal :disappointed:

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Enemies fail their saves often, even in Throne of Bhaal. Only the player characters and a few rare bosses (like Ascension Melissan) achieve subzero saving throws.

A normal Throne of Bhaal enemy vs. spell or death is close to 5, compared to roughly 9 in Shadows of Amn and 14 in Baldur's Gate. They'll make their saves more than half the time by ToB, but far less than 90% or 100% of the time, as many people claim.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Also, you can use Kachiko's Wakizashi on Firkraag. 2 rounds will be enough.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I don't like the Staff of the Ram. I have Cespenar create it but I stick it in the bag and never use it in game because I detest the knockback effect. The first time (and last time) I used it I almost lost Jaheira because she went chasing after the stupid drow guard in Sendai's barracks and went right into the middle of the rest of the drow there.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    You can try NOT to level up in SoA when your character reaches 3 mln XP and wait till ToB. This will be a really unpopular thing to do but it will help against killing everything with planetars, @jtth ;)
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171

You can try NOT to level up in SoA when your character reaches 3 mln XP and wait till ToB. This will be a really unpopular thing to do but it will help against killing everything with planetars, @jtth ;)

I most certainly do not have that kind of self-control. I started a new playthrough with a party so this doesn't quite happen.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The best RPG ever made is not BG2. It's Undertale.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Rubbish, the best RPG is obviously Pokemon.
  • pvddrpvddr Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2016
    - Mazzy is a great NPC. Whenever I'm looking for a fighter, I take her over Minsc, Valygar, and often Keldorn and Korgan. She's probably the NPC I use the most.
    - Jan is insufferable and his banters look like a mod from someone who tried too hard to make their character the star of the show.
    - Neera is great, her personality is great, her voice acting is great, and she will romance any race. She's the mage I use the most (though Edwin is better ofc).
    - The dispel on hit on Carsomyr is overrated - if I'm hitting a wizard already, I don't care that I'm dispelling things, they'll be dead soon enough, and if I'm hitting them then I've already dispelled the protection I care about the most
    - I think Druid spells are more useful than Cleric spells.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    pvddr said:

- Mazzy is a great NPC. Whenever I'm looking for a fighter, I take her over Minsc, Valygar, and often Keldorn and Korgan. She's probably the NPC I use the most.
    - Jan is insufferable and his banters look like a mod from someone who tried too hard to make their character the star of the show.
    - Neera is great, her personality is great, her voice acting is great, and she will romance any race. She's the mage I use the most (though Edwin is better ofc).
    - The dispel on hit on Carsomyr is overrated - if I'm hitting a wizard already, I don't care that I'm dispelling things, they'll be dead soon enough, and if I'm hitting them then I've already dispelled the protection I care about the most
    - I think Druid spells are more useful than Cleric spells.

How Ironic, my opinions of jan and neera are exactly the opposite ( I love him and can't stand her).
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    DJKajuru said:

I love Lilacor's voice lines.

He's most entertaining during a fight; it's out of one that he gets annoying, since it's basically like hearing your NPCs' "I'm bored, let's get moving" scripts 24/7.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Surprisingly unpopular: EEs should be on Amazon's app store.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Unpopular opinion: Pointy hats are great.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Unpopular opinion: Pointy hats are great.

Depends what you use them for.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    No, they are great for everything. They are the towels of headwear.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977

This is an interesting thread to read. It is the only one I’ve seen where if you get no positive reactions, you win! :)

then I won a long time ago!