Skip to content

Euro 2016 and Confederations Cup 2017 football thread - share your impressions

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @booinyoureyes Actually, the deadline for tournament predictions was Friday :/ But still nice to have you here!

Are you in Stockholm? Let's meet up in the summer :D
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Oops, sorry I'm late. Very busy weekend.

@FinneousPJ
    I'm actually in Ireland studying abroad. Some friends went to Stockholm, but unfortunately I was unable to join them. However, I would have loved to meet up! I don't have time to make it to Stockholm in the next two weeks though, unfortunately. However, I do plan on visiting Sweden eventually, so I will let you know!

I actually had planned on seeing a game in France, but the terrorist attacks scared me away. I'm kind of relieved now, seeing how crazy it has gotten. Unfortunately I have been unable to watch many games this weekend (I'm attempting to write on to my law schools Law Review journal) but I did see France vs Romania and plan on watching as much as I can in the coming week!
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Verdammt Bastian Schweinsteiger! :angry: I was SO CLOSE to guessing the right result and then you go and score an extra goal!
    Today

ESP - CZE 2-0
    IRL - SWE 1-0
    BEL - ITA 1-1

BEL - ITA is a tough one. I believe if ITA get the first goal, they could win, but I somehow I feel a first round draw is the most likely game.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

BEL - ITA is a tough one. I believe if ITA get the first goal, they could win, but I somehow I feel a first round draw is the most likely game.

I agree. It could go either way. It wouldn't surprise me if Italy score a semi-early goal (like late first half) then the tortoise up and play 10 man defense the rest of the game. Noone does it better than them and it's not uncommon for Italy to win on low numbers. I hope belgium win (I love it when the smaller countries win vs the dominant football nations), but I predict 1-1. I've never liked Italy's game style, so I've never rooted for them.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Good to see @booinyoureyes here! Your predictions are very similar to mine ;)

We have a leader, @FinneousPJ ;) Good job with your predictions, keep them up!

I actually liked the way Ukraine played and think Germany were very lucky not to concede in the first half. Such a play from Ukraine makes this group very interesting.
    @JuliusBorisov Thx dude. At times UKR were great, especially the end of the first half. But clearly they were quite tired as the second half went on.
    ESP - CZE 3-0
    IRL - SWE 0-1
    BEL - ITA 1-0
    ESP Y U NO SCORE GOAL
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,178
    bah.
    Well at least we got the result if not the score

Next is my wild card
    edited June 2016
    It's not looking good for my team, Sweden. Unfortunately it's pretty much exactly like I had anticipated. but I had of course hoped for them to play better. Well, there's still ~20 minutes left.

Edit: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! 1-1 :)

Edit 2: Ok, so it ended 1-1, as I thought. Now on to Italy Belgium.
    Post edited by Skatan on
    Ciaran Clark must really hate me to score an own goal and ruin my prediction
  • ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174
    Wow great game got to love modern Italy
    It was honourfull fall 2-0 and not 1-0 .. 1-1 should happened!
    It was a good game, better than I had anticipated. Late game I was hoping for belgium to score 1-1, partly for my prediction but partly for them earning it.
    edited June 2016
    Belgium disappoints! Surprising result, but I'm happy. Italy were impressive, even without its two best players in Verratti and Marchisio.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    While I have no doubt that the English fans may have escalated the situation, the general reporting does seem to suggest that the Russian fans were pre-prepared and instigated the majority of troubles.

Either way, it's shocking and really disrupts the tournament, leaving a bad taste.

And yeah, that guy is a dork.
    Last round was bloody hard :D
    This one is easy. Austria should dominate the offense with Janko and Arnautovic I would have preferred Harnik to back them up I think that guy will score..but I think the coach might think different with respect for that but I think they would risk a narrow win instead of 5-0 or maybe even loosing. I'm not sure but if they keep their heads cool they should win anyway. The Hungary team might and should bite...
    edited June 2016
    Uh oh... I have a long way to go to defend my crown!

Today I pick
    Portugal 2 Iceland 0
    Austria 1 Hungary 0

What a boring day at the Euros. So unfortunate, since it is one day where I have no work to do :/

Let me pick for tomorrow as well
    France 2 Albania 0
    Switzerland 1 Romania 0
    Russia 2 Slovakia 1 (if there is no trouble!)
    Do you like or dislike Ronaldo. I must say taken the circumstances he is..the peoples man. I would have him be like Muhammad Ali..but he's just a mainstream guy. And do not underestimate Iceland. They are goal scorers. Anywhere. Anytime. Portugal have abandoned us.. :)
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    edited June 2016
    France home could be a strong contender but Go England Go
    Post edited by Dungeonnoob on