Skip to content

Overused classes?

Hey dudes.
I've always wanted to get into the whole Youtube let's play business, and I finally got it all figured out now that I have most of the right programs and equipment. I'm a bit of a noob to the BG series, having only played through it entirely once, so I thought it'd be fun to play through the series on Youtube, since it seems like everyone else who does so knows every nook and cranny of the game (not that there's anything wrong with that, just thought having a fresh face playing through the series could be interesting).

So, I was wondering if there are any classes that people would be interested in seeing played? I know a lot of people who do BG videos often go with a Paladin class. I wanted to do it with one that not many people see. Any suggestions?
JuliusBorisovFinnTheHuman

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Rangers and non-Blade Bards are probably fair choices, I'm guessing. Rangers, despite Drizzt's influence, are far from the most popular of classes, and Bards, well, Bards are Bards. Both classes also provide spell-casting for others to see that, while the ranger performs well with weaponry and the bard with more support things.

Do you have 2.0 though? If so, Shaman is definitely your best choice. Finding good shaman info is a bit on the hard side, and it's new and unique enough to be different.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBell
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The most overused class in the game among veterans is probably a multi-class Fighter/Mage or a dual-class Kensai/Mage.

The most underused class in the game among veterans is probably a Cleric/Thief, Druid, or Fighter/Druid. @Blackraven is the only person I know who has ever run a Cleric/Thief.

If you're counting EE stuff, then the Shaman would be the one class people understand the least.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

The most overused class in the game among veterans is probably a multi-class Fighter/Mage or a dual-class Kensai/Mage.

The most underused class in the game among veterans is probably a Cleric/Thief, Druid, or Fighter/Druid. @Blackraven is the only person I know who has ever run a Cleric/Thief.

If you're counting EE stuff, then the Shaman would be the one class people understand the least.

The funny thing is that Fighter/Mage was something I only used when I was just getting into the game, but now haven't used in ages. These days, I'm more likely to use an Cleric/Mage, Sorcerer, or Fighter/Thief if I'm feeling uncreative. And I don't use it as much, but I still do Cleric/Thief more than Fighter/Mage these days.
    semiticgoddessAerakar
    Is a Cleric/Thief really that enjoyable? Seems too... at odds with itself, really.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316

Is a Cleric/Thief really that enjoyable? Seems too... at odds with itself, really.

Well it is a bit odd as it really limits your weapon choices - really only cleric weapons and of those a thief can really only backstab with 2 of them - so you are left with clubs or quaterstaff but for me it was always really odd that someone would backstab with a 6 foot staff and no one spotted said person doing it - so this really left me with clubs to backstab with.

If the game had provided a cleric of Mask kit (god of thieves) it would have been nice.
    jackjack
    A backstabbing cleric may seem counter-intuitive, but the best backstabbing weapons in the game are both staffs: the Staff of Striking (1d6+9 damage) and the Staff of the Ram (1d6+10 damage). Cleric item restrictions do not limit your backstabbing ability at all.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBelldok0zhivago
    Hmm... might have to give it a go at one point. And head-cannon it to either a worshiper of Tymora (half-orc) or Garl Glittergold (gnome.) Either wouldn't be to bad a combo with them.
    Aerakar
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Go swashbuckler and don't worry about backstabs.
  • catsarekacampcatsarekacamp Member Posts: 52
    Go as a Kensai->Cleric. Specialize in staves. Kinda like a Friar Tuck/Catholic monk build.
    FinneousPJdok0zhivago[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Aerakar
    deltago said:

Go swashbuckler and don't worry about backstabs.

I've done that before, but boo. Thieves aren't nearly as fun without the alpha strike backstab option, and honestly, I prefer being able to do bursts of big damage like that as opposed to the swashbuckler's more generic damage bonuses.
    semiticgoddessAerakarAethernaut
  • userunfriendlyuserunfriendly Member Posts: 39
    I will NEVER give up being a sorcerer. That being said, the dragon disciple looks cool...

I am thinking of buying bg2 EE now, just for the updated modding community projects, the full Imoen romance mod...

but is SCS as GOOD and fun as Tactics mod? I can't play vanilla BG 2 anymore anyway.
    semiticgoddess
    @userunfriendly: It is the general consensus of the community that SCS is better than Tactics. It plays more fairly, is much smarter, and introduces more comprehensive but moderate gameplay changes than Tactics, which tends to give huge bonuses and immunities to enemies from a handful of encounters. SCS is considered sort of the standard difficulty mod, as it primarily relies on improving the enemy AI and only making modest modifications to enemy stats. Bear in mind that some common "cheesy" tactics are less useful or no longer work in SCS and EE (there are still plenty more, though).

The fight with Irenicus in Hell is a good example of Tactics' strategy. Tactics adds a shadow dragon, CON-draining Beholder, Protection from Magic scroll-using fighter, and a stronger copy of Mordenkainen's Sword to the fight, and grants Irenicus permanent Improved Alacrity, infinite spells, and the ability to heal himself. The AI sees some improvement, but most of the difficulty comes from hurling new stuff at you.

The fight with Kangaxx the Demilich is a good example of SCS' strategy. Kangaxx's demilich form has its old immunities, but also has a full suite of spells, plus 100 magic resistance to cover level 0 effects that bypass demilich spell level immunities (he's supposed to be immune to all magic, after all), and he can cast a spell and use Trap the Soul in the same round. This is all normal for PnP demiliches. He uses buffing spells, but only to cover his normal vulnerabilities, and he chooses his spells intelligently. He will use Trap the Soul on your fighter, Minute Meteors on your thief, and use magic attacks, from Spell Thrust to Spellstrike, on your mage, all in the same round. It can get really complicated.

Tactics fights hard; SCS fights smart.
    lunarJuliusBorisovAerakar
    edited June 2016
    sounds good!!!!

Still, I do liked the tactics cheating ways...allows me to rationalize MY cheating ways.. :blush:

So i will soon buy...(before GOG sale ends) and I will still use a kensai sorcerer...if asked nicely, I will post instructions on how to make... :wink: 'scuse me, kensai dragon-disciple...

anyhu, i'd have to reinvent the procedure, which of course requires testing. sigh....

(this assumes EE keeper still works the same way as old shadowkeeper. )
  • catsarekacampcatsarekacamp Member Posts: 52
    There's a mod to romance your sister?

Yes. Considering that imoen can't be related to a full elf, or dwarf pc, she is an adoptive sister.

Imoen romance mod was quite frankly the best romance mod i've ever played...with the POSSIBLE exception of Tashia.
    semiticgoddess

Yes. Considering that imoen can't be related to a full elf, or dwarf pc, she is an adoptive sister.

Imoen romance mod was quite frankly the best romance mod i've ever played...with the POSSIBLE exception of Tashia.
    Not sure when we got to discussing romance mods, but the Imoen one is just killed for me by the really loud, discordant music. And both it and Tashia suffer from a lack of voicing. Personally, I tend to hold up Isra as the complete package in that regard.

Not sure when we got to discussing romance mods, but the Imoen one is just killed for me by the really loud, discordant music. And both it and Tashia suffer from a lack of voicing. Personally, I tend to hold up Isra as the complete package in that regard.
    bugger...i played Tasha and Imoen back when they first came out...plenty of great voicing back then....

music for imoen back then was great too...well, mirrabo did take off...sigh...
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029

I dunno, she does have the same biological father. Divine genetics are clearly weird, so the relationship is probably not perfectly analogous of half-siblings in real life, but "adopted" doesn't strike me as the right word to use. It's hard for me to justify the relationship as non-incestuous when you have the same dad.

Having said that, it's a video game. I'm not here to judge you for what you do in a video game. I've even played the mod once, to see what the fuss was about. I found it pretty well written, but there were several moments when the mod gave me the option to be emotionally or physically abusive, and I found that way more disturbing than the incest.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    edited June 2016
    As I understand it, both of those complaints have been addressed and corrected in the most recent version of the mod. The music has been toned down and the darker, more aggressive options were removed. The original mod was pretty dark and, like you said, allowed options for abuse. If you haven't played the most recent version, I'd suggest you give it another try. To save space I'll address the incest comments in a spoiler tag.

On the subject of gods creating spawn, I live in the Mormon belt (western US) and they believe that God literally created all of our spirits. Our spirits then come to Earth and inhabit our bodies. In essence he would be the Father of our spirits, or our souls if you prefer the term, and we should all be guilty of incest. In a more general sense, most Christians refer to God as our Father (Our Father who art in Heaven ring any bells?). I don't know any Christian who believes that we're committing incest simply because we call the same deity dad.

Bhaal could turn himself into anything he wanted in order to create the Bhaalspawn. You've got all of the playable races, who knows how many more unplayable races, dragons, and in ToB you find a group of animal Bhaalspawn. Bhaal couldn't impregnate them all with the same form. If any genetic material was passed from him to the child, it would be as different as the rabbit is to the dragon.

Getting back on topic the obvious overused classes would be any F/M combo, or even the triple class F/M/T. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use the other triple class, F/M/C.
    JuliusBorisov
    Pteran said:

As I understand it, both of those complaints have been addressed and corrected in the most recent version of the mod. The music has been toned down and the darker, more aggressive options were removed. The original mod was pretty dark and, like you said, allowed options for abuse. If you haven't played the most recent version, I'd suggest you give it another try. To save space I'll address the incest comments in a spoiler tag.

is the voicing there?

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029

Well, he took different forms, as different races and species, and probably teleporting around to do it... in fact he may have had several avatars out impregnating women simultaneously. So while the god Bhaal is technically the "father" of all Bhaalspawn, it doesn't seem like there is actually any biological connection. A divine connection, sure, but the specific biological morphology necessarily had to change for each child.

So, no biological + not raised as siblings = not incest.

People may agree or disagree with that, but for someone who wants to play the mod, I think it's good enough to support their suspension of disbelief.

This is sort of what I meant to allude to with the whole "divine genetics are weird" thing. Bhaal literally did impregnate both your mothers in the traditional sense, and he was still Bhaal in both cases, but... Bhaal didn't necessarily (or even necessarily didn't) take the same form in both cases, and I have literally no idea what that means for any genetic similarity.

Honestly, though, I find that justification a bit flimsy. For a couple reasons, but most significantly, because the mod itself doesn't seem to buy it. The stance taken in the mod is basically "yes, it's incest, but we both love each other, so we're gonna do this anyway". Which I have mixed feelings about, but if you want to play it, you should be aware that the mod isn't going to go the "it's not really incest" route. Now, I don't care what your reasons are for being okay with the mod. I don't care if you excuse it as not really incest, or if you're willing to make an exception because it's consensual (unlike most real-life incest), or if you're just into that sort of thing. Whatever, fine by me. You should play the game the way you want to play it. But if you're considering using the Imoen romance mod, you should be aware that the mod is written as an incestuous relationship.
    mf2112Pteran
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    If all the Bhaalspawn were tieflings or something I'd buy a genetic component but the Gnome Bhaalspawn is fully gnome as is the Human fully human. No powers linked to their physical form but to their souls. If two races which can in no way interbreed are both Bhaalspawn I just don't see it as a sibling relationship. I've never thought of Imoen as my characters sister but I also very rarely play humans
    Pteran