Skip to content

[MOD] Eldritch Magic (BGEE/BG2EE/IWDEE)

Comments

• Abdel_AdrianAbdel_Adrian Member Posts: 430
    @noctem93 I'm really glad you're enjoying it!
    I'd love to make Priestess of Lolth and the Abyssal Warrior more fleshed out with NPC reactions, but the scripting and dialogs are a bit beyond my abilities at the moment; the few I've implemented took a lot of time and didn't feel very elegant. I'm always happy to accept help with what I can't figure out myself and would give credit to anyone who wanted to work on it with me.

As far as the Abyssal Warrior's free weapon: are you playing BGEE? If not, that's the issue right there. The ability is only present in BGEE, and maybe IWDEE in a future update as well, but it'll never be implemented in BG2EE. It's only supposed to trigger at lvl 1 and, of course, not if some evil wizard takes all your gear.
    It's also not something you have to wait for long at all, a few seconds at most, BUT it's incredibly easy to screw up and lose your weapon for good. Clicking just about anything could do this, so immediately after creating your character in BGEE, it's best to just stand still clicking nothing until it pops up. Frankly, it's not the greatest perk to have nor the worst thing to lose out on, but I'll try to improve the spell if possible.

@Aquadrizzt @subtledoctor @Grammarsalad I'd love to work on compatibility at some point. All of my cleric, ranger, and druid kits already have Faiths & Powers spheres defined, though I'm not sure how that'll work with multiclass kits, if at all; actually haven't tested it on any kit and may have done it completed wrong for all I know. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions about this once I finish up the last of my multiclass kits from the Complete Book of Elves.
    Tome & Blood also looks like it would help out my multiclass casters what with their specialty-mage spell slots that they don't really deserve.
    Luckily, I've been keeping compatibility in the back of my mind forever. More recently, I've added 2 separate versions of all my multiclass kits for both pre- and post-2.0. There are a very few known compatibility issues, but the ones I'm aware of are pretty minor.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited June 2016
    @subtledoctor I don't think compatibility will be a big issue, I just suspect I made some mistakes because I always do before testing.
    Choose Deity is my biggest concern because all my FnP kits actually have the deity in the kit name (e.g Feywarden of Corellon).

@noctem93 okay so I just tested the Abyssal Warrior's free weapon. It still works in BGEE and (in my version only) IWDEE as well, but I remember why I scrapped that: I'd have to make entirely new spells to account for the difference in items, but I always intended to do that.
    One issue I found though is that I used the wrong Bastard Sword .itm file so that weapon is completely broken and can't be removed from inventory. Fixed it in my version, I'll publish it when I get a chance.

EDIT: IWDEE version of Abyssal Warrior's free armor and weapon is complete, that'll be included in the next publication. Now the only enhanced game that won't give free equipment is BG2EE, as intended.
    Post edited by Abdel_Adrian on
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    "Alternatively, we could abandon the dialogue and put every kit up/front in the menus... we can discuss that option among ourselves."

I'm not seeing much need for the dialog system anymore, frankly, with multiclass kits a reality. It seems that it would make compatibility much less of a hassle, as well ( for everybody).

@Abdel_Adrian , we'll keep you in the loop, but I'm leaning in this direction unless @subtledoctor sees a problem
    Abdel_Adrian
  • noctem93noctem93 Member Posts: 63
    @Abdel_Adrian I'm playing BGEE but it totally works. I didn't realize it was supposed to pop up on its own, so I was pushing the red diamond to force it open. Then I started a brand new game, just stood there a second, and it popped up just like it should. It confused me a bit since there were no icons there, but a quick hover revealed the weapon choices. Thanks!
    Abdel_Adrian
    edited June 2016
    @noctem93 glad it worked. Yeah, it's a bit hacky to be honest- the system I manipulated was never meant to be used for items or automatically casted spells. Custom BAMs (the icons) are another thing beyond my abilities, but as long as it works as intended, I'm happy for now.
    Thanks @Abdel_Adrian for linking to the newest version. I haven't installed it yet, but I noticed another problem with the version I had -- Abyssal Warrior won't spawn the weapon in single-player if you use the "create party" option, regardless of whether I built him as the 1st person in the party or somewhere else in the mix. I think it might have something to do with the game starting with ALL the characters being selected. Not a big deal at all, especially since it isn't a magical weapon or anything, but just a bug to report.
    Now one of these days maybe I'll actually finish a playthrough!!! That's actually pretty doubtful though, between this and Tome & Blood there are just too many cool kits and class ideas and I want to play them all.
    lol
    edited June 2016
    @noctem93 No problem, and thanks for mentioning that issue. It's one I was pretty sure was there, and unfortunately something I can't do much about. EEKeeper or the CLUA console could give you the free weapon though.
    I think I addressed everything brought to my attention. Either way, a larger update is still in the works - MANY more kits to come :smile:
    Noob question here - @Abdel_Adrian, the new 1.6b doesn't have a setup file. Can I use the old setup file that came with 1.5?
    edited June 2016
    @noctem93 yeah sorry about that, the setup from any of my versions will work.

Fixed now, same link.
    @Abdel_Adrian, I'm getting a weird error when I try to install 1.6b. I'm using setup.exe from 1.5, but when the command window runs the first question is "Would you like to display the components from [Undefined String: @100]?"
    Next question is for components of Undefined String @101. I haven't installed anything yet (and this is on a FRESH BGEE install, BTW) but it looks like all the components actually display correctly after those first two examples of weirdness. Any ideas?
    @noctem93 that is weird, you might have the version I initially uploaded. I'd just toss that out and redownload it. It's not a problem with the executable though because they're all the same for my mod.
    Nope, just d/l'ed the newest version of 1.6, which includes the setup, and getting the same weird message.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    noctem93 said:

Nope, just d/l'ed the newest version of 1.6, which includes the setup, and getting the same weird message.

Do you have the latest version of WeiDU?
    edited June 2016
    @noctem93 I really don't know what it can be since I just updated to 2.3 on my laptop and did a fresh install of the mod with no problems. I suggest fully uninstalling the mod, deleting the mod folder you have, and retrying with v1.61. I simply can't reproduce the issue.
    @rapsam2003 I don't think it could be WeiDU because I'm pretty sure the .exe from 239 initiates an update to that version if you don't already have it, and WeiDU version hasn't changed between versions of my mod.
    Seems like an issue with setup since strrefs aren't properly displayed, but it's working for me. I double-checked everything and rezipped a version that gives me no issues on a fresh install.

This is the most up to date version that I just fully installed on fresh downloads of BGEE, SoD, BG2EE, and IWDEE. It wasn't intended, but earlier I included all my "in-progress" kits unlike the last version. I would just not install those components, mentioned in the first post, or definitely not use them if installed. They won't break anything if not used, even if installed. I'm going to put out another version anyway since I've messed up the last 2 in one way or another. Once I get back on github things will go more smoothly.
    This is the intended version with no in-progress kits:
    Eldritch Magic v1.61
    edited June 2016
    @Abdel_Adrian
    OK, just did it again. Completely deleted all trace of BGee from my system, went to Steam and deleted local game content from there, too. Re-downloaded and reinstalled BGEE. Fresh, clean install. No other mods. I extract Eldritch Magic 1.61 to my BGee folder and run setup but the same problem happens, "undefined string 100, 156, and 101" when I try to install.

Here's a screenshot of what's going on, including my BGee folder to make sure it has all the correct folders in it.

Any ideas?
    edited June 2016

Sounds like just a typo in the .tra file, or something. Maybe the component numbers changed, and the designated numbers changed, and the string references for them changed, but the .tra file wasn't updated.

@noctem93 if you open up Eldritch_Magic/language/english/setup.tra, see whether there are entries for "@100," "@101," and "@156." (Just look for them with ctrl-F.) If not, that's the problem.

I wish it were as easy as a typo in setup.tra, that would have been my first guess too if it weren't for the fact that @100 & @101 have not changed in multiple versions; all I did was add @156 and it works for me on a fresh install of the game downloading the mod straight from the links I provided. I double-checked both the GitHub and Google Drive v1.61 I published: @100 = ~Items & Spells~, @101 = ~Kits~, & @156 = ~Tweaks~.
    I could understand @156 being undefined if an old setup was being used, but definitely not the other two. Component #s/designated #s haven't changed recently, only have added some, and I've updated any strings in setup that are linked to - doesn't seem to be the .tra.

But I did notice something interesting...why are all the folders that are normally inside Eldritch_Magic, not? Looks like you extracted from Eldritch_Magic rather than the .zip. That will cause everything to break, folder structure should be maintained the same way it's packaged from the link I provided.
    At the very least it's definitely looking in the wrong area for setup.tra and even the readme too.

All of these folders/files need to be within Eldritch_Magic:

Eldritch Magic v1.62

@noctem93 I just uploaded v1.62, make sure when you extract, it's from the zipped master folder so that only Eldritch_Magic and setup-Eldritch_Magic.exe are being moved to your game folder.

This version completely redid the Abyssal Warrior's free weapon ability - it's an innate now! Should work under any circumstances, unless of course you move after casting but before choosing a weapon.
    @Abdel_Adrian
    Glad I included the screenshot. I had a feeling that might have been part of the problem. Oddly, when I extracted straight from the master folder, it put Setup in the nested folder structure and it didn't work. I tried placing it in the main folder but was still getting those errors. Don't know why and don't care now that 1.62 works like a charm!
    ;)
    @noctem93 the only differences between 1.61 & 1.62 are that I reworked the Abyssal Warrior's free weapon ability and moved Eldritch_Magic.setup from the mod folder to the zipped master folder, which saves the user a step and adds a slight chance for me to forget including the setup entirely.

I've since improved the Abyssal Warrior's ability even further! You can now mess up an unlimited number of times, but will retain the innate until you actually receive a weapon. I'm now reworking the Priest of Mystra with a very cool ability, rather than 2 of the same they currently have. Resuming work on my multiclasses after this.
    @Abdel_Adrian - speaking of multi-classes, that reminds me; how do multi-class kits, specifically War Wizard and Eldritch Knight, work in terms of skills received at level up? For example, with EK they get to summon the blue or green blade for 1/level and it lasts 1 rd/lvl, does this go up each time only when one specific class levels, or is it when EITHER class levels up, or when both hit the same level? In other words, would a F2 M1 would have 3/day for 3 rds since his total Character Level is 3? For WW, they get AC and Spell Save bonuses every set number of levels, so at which levels do those bonuses kick in?
    @Abdel_Adrian and while I'm asking questions, how do you implement the Abyssal Warrior's blind-fighting ability?
    noctem93
    Thanks @subtledoctor. I've been playing BG for ages, and would you believe that I have almost zero experience with multi-class characters? 99% of my playtime has been single or dual-class. I guess I could have just created one, leveled up a bit, and figured that out for myself. lol

@noctem93 I'm pretty sure it works like any other multiclass: it just looks at your highest level.

Yes, and in the case of F/M, that's fighter. For F/M/T, it's thief. That's why all my F/M kits are fighter kits and all my F/M/T kits are thief kits.

Or maybe your caster level (i.e. your wizard level).

I didn't use this method, but I believe it is doable.

It's the same as a normal fighter/mage.

Yes. So that would mean you get innates on fighter levels because they advance faster (or thief for F/M/T). This should be true in both the pre- & post-2.0 versions of all my multiclass kits. The post-2.0 versions haven't been tested as thoroughly and are still being tweaked. @Aquadrizzt said that he refined his method that I'm using for these kits, although I'm not sure if it's been posted yet. Either way, as part of his function, you define the base class you're applying the kit to (i.e. base_class = [the first letter of base class that you wish to tie the abilities to; accepts F, R, P, D, M, T] ), and for this I've just kept to the same base classes as the pre-2.0 versions - the fastest leveling ones. Perhaps choosing mage would allow these multiclass kits to gain abilities per caster level, but I don't plan on tampering with that.
    Right on, thanks @Abdel_Adrian and @subtledoctor. Leveling on Fighter level makes sense, and I agree that (for the most part anyway) it will unlock those faster. I think there are 2 random levels (is it 6 and 7?) that Mage actually levels first, but that's an anomaly and not worth bothering with.
    noctem93 said:

Right on, thanks @Abdel_Adrian and @subtledoctor. Leveling on Fighter level makes sense, and I agree that (for the most part anyway) it will unlock those faster. I think there are 2 random levels (is it 6 and 7?) that Mage actually levels first, but that's an anomaly and not worth bothering with.

Actually, mages advance before fighters from levels 7 through 13, tie at level 14, and then resume the slower progression they began with. But like you said, it's not worth bothering with.
    edited June 2016
    OK, so I've played the Abyssal Warrior, Eldritch Knight, and Priestess of Lolth for a bit (just a few levels each) and so far I really like what you've created here. War Wizard will be next. :)

I have a couple more questions at this point:
    Abyssal Warrior
    1: how is blind-fighting implemented?
    2: how is immunity to Demon fear implemented? Is that even a thing in these games or is that just in the description as an artefact from the P&P description?

Priestess of Lolth
    3: I rolled pretty decent stats, and when I Poly into spider it actually *drops* my Str and Dex. Any way to change that so that the Poly adds a bonus to those two stats, rather than sets them at a pre-determined level?
    4: and this is probably asking for more than I deserve, but is there a way to scale that spider Poly up with level? For example, a Giant Spider, Sword Spider, or Phase Spider at certain level breaks? Sword Spiders are connected with Drow from a lore standpoint, so even just changing the poly into a Sword Spider would be pretty awesome (though I can see how that free perma-haste could effectively break the kit and make it OP).
    Post edited by noctem93 on
    noctem93 said:

Abyssal Warrior
    1: how is blind-fighting implemented?
    2: how is immunity to Demon fear implemented? Is that even a thing in these games or is that just in the description as an artefact from the P&P description?

1: Basically just passive immunity to blindness, best the engine (and I) could simulate PnP. Same for Bladesingers.
    2: Also a passive immunity, although of a much more niche effect. Demons (and devils, I believe) actually cast something called "Demon Fear" and the Abyssal Warrior becomes fearless against that specific attack, but not other types of fear.
    noctem93 said:

Priestess of Lolth
    3: I rolled pretty decent stats, and when I Poly into spider it actually *drops* my Str and Dex. Any way to change that so that the Poly adds a bonus to those two stats, rather than sets them at a pre-determined level?
    4: and this is probably asking for more than I deserve, but is there a way to scale that spider Poly up with level? For example, a Giant Spider, Sword Spider, or Phase Spider at certain level breaks? Sword Spiders are connected with Drow from a lore standpoint, so even just changing the poly into a Sword Spider would be pretty awesome (though I can see how that free perma-haste could effectively break the kit and make it OP).

3: "Shapeshift: Spider" is intended to give a STR and DEX of 16; this may actually reduce your stats, but is an intended consequence of all shapeshifting.
    4: In theory, these things could be possible, but I don't plan on tinkering with it to that degree. If you try out the Priestess of Lolth's "Spider Spawn" over a few levels, you'll notice that the type of spider spawned improves. (i.e. 1st-7th: giant spider. 9th: phase spider. 12th+: sword spider.)

"Shapeshift: Spider," which already does polymorph you into a sword spider, is really just an innate form of a previously existing spell. It's got a practically unlimited duration, but completely prevents all casting except for the Spider Spawn innate, so it's not something the priestess would use at all times. However, the enhanced editions introduced some serious bugs to the shapeshift, which carried over into my replication of it. Sword spiders are supposed to have the following attributes:
    Shapeshift: Spider

Strength: 16
    Dexterity: 16

Base Armor Class: 3
    Number of Attacks: 4
    Attack Damage: 1d4 (piercing), poison on successsful (sic) hit: 1 damage/2 seconds for 6 rounds (no save)

Special Abilities:
    – Armor Class: +4
    – Haste
    – Immunity to web

They actually lack the poison and haste they're supposed to have, and the AC bonus is missile only. Base AC of 3 with a 16 DEX becomes AC 1, +4 on top of this is a little overkill at low levels anyway.
    This makes the shapeshift more balanced at level 1, when the priestess can run out of spells and then become a very powerful arachnid fighter for as long as she wants, but combined with the +1 enchantment of the spider attacks, makes it completely useless at a certain level.
    Rather than change spider type, I intend to make the sword spider itself gradually become more powerful so that it retains some usefulness at high levels without being any stronger than it is at low levels.