Skip to content

PST:EE is next and here is why:

Comments

• fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331

Just eliminate that horribly "wheel" thing when you right-click,

You do realize it's there for a purpose, right? As was the wheel in NWN.
    CrevsDaak
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    And boy, does the wheel in NWN SUCK.
    [Deleted User]Godmf2112
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Has there been a wheel in a video game that didn't suck?
    [Deleted User]NonnahswriterCrevsDaak
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    deltago said:

The force feedback steering wheel with Need for Speed was pretty cool actually. I had it anchored to a TV tray table that was turned around so the pedals were locked in place and couldn't slide around. I got the Lamborghini and the Batmobile up to 200 mph a few times. >:)
    God
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited July 2016
    deltago said:

Yes. Need for speed. :trollface:
    Post edited by brus on
    CrevsDaak

And boy, does the wheel in NWN SUCK.

No, it doesn't. There are many options for your actions in the game, how would you implement all those options other than with a wheel?
    edited July 2016
    I think player judges the UI wheel how fast he can achieve what he wants (with smallest number of clicks on KB, MB, GP). Functional does not always equal to fast. Also, UI which does not stand in your way, gains more sympathy in player's view.
    mf2112Buttercheese
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I didn't mind the NWN wheel. It's been a while though. I'm pretty sure I used the multiple hotbars more and the rare thing I couldn't fit on all those hotbars or access via key to spell book wasn't a big deal to use the wheel.

It's been a while though..
    NWN's entire UI is broken. Playing a spellcaster is a PAIN. It's unintuitive, the text boxes are tiny, the inventory is a clusterf*** (especially when you use bags of holding and the likes), a good chunk of the hotkeys make no sense (all those times I accidentally canceled out my buffs and summons because I accidentally hit the R button ...) and so on and so forth. The UI is so bad, it's actually ruining the entire game in a lot of ways.

NWN is easily the game with the worst UI I have ever played.

Then I have a suggestion: don't play it, and let those who like it play it.
    shawne
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited July 2016

NWN's entire UI is broken. Playing a spellcaster is a PAIN. It's unintuitive, the text boxes are tiny, the inventory is a clusterf*** (especially when you use bags of holding and the likes), a good chunk of the hotkeys make no sense (all those times I accidentally canceled out my buffs and summons because I accidentally hit the R button ...) and so on and so forth. The UI is so bad, it's actually ruining the entire game in a lot of ways.

For what it's worth, I played a pure sorceress for SoU/HotU (which cranks you up to epic levels) and never had any problems with the UI at all. *shrug*

On topic, if PST:EE is indeed Beamdog's next project:

LISTEN WELL, ALL OF YOU.

Not. one. word. of. new. content.

Even acknowledging that Beamdog's creative department is going through some substantial changes now that Gaider's in charge and both Foley and Scott have moved on, the fact of the matter is that nothing they've put out so far is anywhere near PS:T's level in terms of quality content and writing. If the objective is to touch up the engine, fix bugs, make the gameplay more convenient (basically the IWD approach), be my guest, I'll be first in line to buy it. You start messing with the story and there's no scenario - not one - where the end product isn't poorer for it.
    Buttercheese
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2016
    I doubt I would bother buying PSTEE without any new content. Great as it is, it has limited replayablity and is very short.

Everything Beamdog has said makes me feel that PST is NOT their next project, anyway.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    NWN's UI is not broken, but an epic caster will have more spells the quickslots. I got around this with autohotkey.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    There's lots of scenarios where new writing in PST improves it. There's very few where the internet doesn't do a giant hissy fit about new writing in it regardless of quality, however.

I agree that a hypothetical PST:EE needs more than just a new UI and bugfixes to make it seem exciting and worth purchasing for those who already own the game. It's a tough needle to thread.

(Unless they add Neera. Instant A+++, all of the buys.)
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Most of the npcs in torment are rather unique to the story and in their ties to the nameless one. So adding any new npcs just seems like asking for trouble.

It's not nearly as easy and ''customizable'' as the BG series is in that regard.
    ButtercheeseRavenslightsparkleavMontresor_SP
    Certainly, adding an NPC would require some serious writing, and preferably input from Chis Avalone. Like the others, they would have to be closely tied to the protagonist.

There are other changes that could be made that might make me inclined to want to reply the game though. Improved combat has been mentioned. Content that made more use of Str, Dex and Con in dialogue would be welcome, to make a wider range of different Nameless One builds interesting. You might give Nameless and additional class choice - Bard perhaps? He has knocked around long enough to have learned more than three professions.
    edited July 2016
    Honestly, the only addition I could see on the story end that might work, would be an extra side story that doesn't focus on the Nameless One, seperate from the main story. Like the Black Pits, but story instead of combat focussed. Maybe one of the side characters could be promoted to be the protagonist. Think of the bonus chapter for TellTale's The Walking Dead at the end of season 1.

It's just of utmost importance that it won't interfere with the main story in any way.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175

Honestly, the only addition I could see on the story end that might work, would be an extra side story that doesn't focus on the Nameless One, seperate from the main story. Like the Black Pits, but story instead of combat focussed. Maybe one of the side characters could be promoted to be the protagonist. Think of the bonus chapter for TellTale's The Walking Dead at the end of season 1.

It's just of utmost importance that it won't interfere with the main story in any way.

I'm against new content in the hypothetical pst:ee but this could actually work. It could satisfy people who wouldn't buy the game without the new content.
    Buttercheese
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

I'd rather have Beamdog's creative team steer clear of the multifaceted and philosophical Planescape setting altogether. And the Torment storyline especially.

Poor Icewind Dale is still in the corner, crying, now reduced to a measly prequel of the Bhaalspawn saga. Having thus SoD-omized IWD, who knows, they might be tempted to be equally adventurous with redefining Torment. And I really, really DON'T want to be able to import a Throne of Bhaal character to replace the Nameless One, even if it makes some sense.

But, hell, Beamdog is apparently hiring writers right now. They may as well hunt down and hire someone who *knows* the inner workings of Planescape, and whose writing unravels immersion sufficient to flesh out these areas of the game which Torment's original developers could not perfect due to time and budget constraints. Though that a person such as this should come their way is rather unlikely.
    Buttercheese
    Not saying that they should do it like I mentioned above, it's just a general idea I think both sides might be able to live with.

And hey, interesting idea to include the Bhaalspawn in a kind of collective sequel ... but that would require some serious high quality writing. I mean, it has the potential to be amazing, but so many more options to be terrible.
    God
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Sigil has doors all over the multiverse Beamdog could add another one.

TNOs story is pretty self contained but to me there's room for sidequests
    AyiekieFardragon
    edited July 2016
    The bottom line is Beamdog is a business: they can't afford to do anything that would lose them money.

*PS:T made a loss when it was first released;
    * I can't be the only person who feels that they played it to death when it first came out, and can't justify rebuying it without new content;
    * The original art is missing and would need to be replaced, the game engine is significantly different to BG2, there are licencing issues to resolve. These things mean PSTEE could not be done on the cheap like IWDEE.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    Ardul
    Fardragon said:

The bottom line is Beamdog is a business: they can't afford to do anything that would lose them money.

*PS:T made a loss when it was first released;
    * I can't be the only person who feels that they played it to death when it first came out, and can't justify rebuying it without new content;
    * The original art is missing and would need to be replaced, the game engine is significantly different to BG2, there are licencing issues to resolve. These things mean PSTEE could not be done on the cheap like IWDEE.

Is the art missing for PST as well? I hadn't heard that before but big bummer if so.
    Buttercheesesparkleav
    Beamdog said so a while back. I guess it's not impossible for it to turn up though.
    If you are referring to the comments here by AndreaColumbo then it actually doesn't mention PST, presumably because they didn't have rights to it?
    PST:EE would be nice release in December 2016. Maybe a month or two before Tides of Numenera in 2017.

Are there any statements about Icewind dale 2 cut content and code?
    mf2112
    IWD2 would also be economically questionable, since it's engine is very heavily modified, and it wasn't much of a commercial success in the first place.

It seems to me that Beamdog have plenty to do with the tablet version of SoD, updating IWD to 2.x, and Dave Gaider's "BG Next".

If they did need a profitable smaller project to pay some bills, I would be inclined to do DLC for IWDEE or BG2EE, or PS4/XBox ports.
    kanisatha
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    It would be amazing to get a PST:EE :-) I could never finish it at the time as my version of the game kept crashing before the end...
    Buttercheesemlnevese
    I have a physical copy, and my PC won't even read the disc ...
    sparkleav