Skip to content

[MOD] Eldritch Magic (BGEE/BG2EE/IWDEE)

Comments

• noctem93noctem93 Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2016
    @Abdel_Adrian Thanks for the info! I didn't realize that was a sword spider, specifically because it wasn't hasted and it had no poison. I thought it must be some kind of vanilla spider I wasn't familiar with that was built into the shapeshift ability. Knowing that it's a sword spider, with some hope of fixed poison and scalable stats in the future, just made my day. I can definitely live with the gimped stats if I gain poison, as that would make me hell on enemy casters. Plus, from a lore standpoint, it just makes sense that a Priestess of Lolth would *want* to poison people.

Now someone just needs to create a Scourge of Fangs item, and I may never leave my computer again...

Like I said in my very first post here, the PofL makes me WAY happier than it should.
    :smiley:
  • Abdel_AdrianAbdel_Adrian Member Posts: 430
    @noctem93 I thought about a Scourge of Fangs, but scrapped it because it's not really 2e, but I can make one obtainable in BG2EE. I'll work on that, the spider shapeshift, and my Priest of Mystra changes, and then get back to those other kits I've promised.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor No problem, I haven't gotten too far with my divine kit pack.
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    I just installed the latest version of the mod on BG2 EE and created a Bladesinger. I am finding that the second and third spell quick slots are not allowing me to select spells for them. The first spell quick slot works fine. I didn't see this in the prior version.

Note: I uninstalled the old version and deleted the files before installing the new version.
    I wanted to clarify. It seems that when the Bladesinger went from Bard base class to the Fighter/Mage, it seems that something thinks the pick pockets and bard song are still in the quick slots (my guess).

I tested my theory by creating a standard Elf fighter/Mage and all three spell quick slots work fine.
    @Necromanx2 Okay, thanks for telling me. I haven't really differentiated the pre- & post-2.0 multiclass kits, but I know what's causing that so I'll take care of that soon. Just need to make different CLABs.
    Hi Abdel_Adrian,

I have been playing a cleric of Lolth and notice the spider shapeshift is not hasted as in the description. It has the sword spider appearance as well as the 4 attacks per round, just not fast moving. When I right click the icon the description says it should be hasted.

Wanted to let you know.

Thanks for the great work!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Also, the priest of Lolth doesn't have the daylight penalty that the tiefling has. I thought she should?
    edited July 2016
    @Necromanx2 I actually discussed the sword spider's lack of haste last month and I fixed it right away using @subtledoctor 's method - it's been on my list to do since finding that (probably unintentional) change the EEs implemented, but I haven't released it yet because I'm still tweaking the spider's poison.

The Priestess of Lolth has no daylight penalties. It's not in the kit description because I didn't implement it. It'd be more true to PnP if all drow lost benefits and received penalties outside of Underdark, but the developers never did this to Viconia so I simply imitated her.

The daylight penalty is a real pain too. I can't seem to get the effect to only apply outdoors, and I don't know how to make it check if you're in Underdark or not, so right now it's based on time of day. I'd love to fix this so that it only works outdoors at night before I add it to more kits than the Abyssal Warrior, if I decided to do so.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    How does the Druid spell call lightning only work outdoors? Is there something it uses that you could adapt?
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    About daylight penalties, maybe you could inspire yourself from the way it works with Hexxat, her daylight stuff doesn't work too badly, does it?

My 2 cents about drow: forget daylight penalties, they are a huge pain. Just eliminate the Magic Resistance. And eliminate if for Viconia too. Then add a trigger in the first Underdark area (should be easy to find, as it triggers a number of NPC conversations, like Aerie) that adds MR to Viconia and to a drow PC. And then add a trigger to the Underdark exit (should be easy to find, it already triggers the disintegration of drow armor) that removes the MR.

Then drow MR would become something special in that party of the game, rather than Yet Another instance of lore-incorrect munchkin cheese.

I'd love to do this, and you make it sound easy enough, but it's definitely beyond my abilities at the moment. I will look for those triggers though and see if I can figure it out.
    jobby said:

How does the Druid spell call lightning only work outdoors? Is there something it uses that you could adapt?

Outdoor-only spells just have an additional flag attached which prevents their use indoors, but it's pretty limited. I've used it successfully for other spells and it became apparent that it only affects the spell at the moment of casting and has no retroactive effects if you were to move between indoors and out while a spell is active.

About daylight penalties, maybe you could inspire yourself from the way it works with Hexxat, her daylight stuff doesn't work too badly, does it?

That's a good idea, and I've tried it, but it's difficult. Hexxat relies on an item for her effects and she has many different versions of that item. It's not the easiest thing to replicate, but I'll look into it again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

jobby said:

Outdoor-only spells just have an additional flag attached which prevents their use indoors, but it's pretty limited. I've used it successfully for other spells and it became apparent that it only affects the spell at the moment of casting and has no retroactive effects if you were to move between indoors and out while a spell is active.
    Ooh - now *that* is actually an interesting idea.

First, apply magic resistance to drow characters. For the sake of simplicity I would make it a set number forever, 50% or so. (Actually I personally would make it more like 20% but I can already hear the howls of "don't nerf Vicona!!1!" if you did that.)

Then, make an aura-like spell. Set a permanent effect that uses opcode 272 "apply .eff on condition" with the condition set to "every six seconds."

Then have the .eff use opcode 146 "cast spell."

And the spell it casts would have three effects: the first would be opcode 321 "cancel effects by resource" with the resource set to itself; the second would apply a light-blindness penalty to the character; and the third would *reduce* MR by 50% (i.e. to zero... or maybe better to just set it to zero).

That last spell would have the "outdoors only" flag, so the permanent effect would try to cast it every six seconds, but it would fail when you are indoors. Voila - every time you are outdoors, exposed to sunlight and/or the outside air, you take penalties. But whenever you are underground or inside a structure, within six seconds your penalties will go away and your MR will kick in.

Should work!
    That's amazing! That would definitely work for my Abyssal Warrior - the only concern with Viconia and my Priestess of Lolth is that clerics can increase MR with spells. That'd probably be fine though if I decreased MR rather than set it to 0 at any point.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    I vaguely remember a vampire npc mod called valen which I think had simmilar daylight penalties, there might also be something in that code you could look at if subtledoctors technique doesn't work.
  • rkocourrkocour Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2016
    Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but i did an install of this for the items and ioun stone part of it, and some of the strings were messed up. This was on the Icewind Dale, Mobile version (1.4). And i saw it on the items that had the immunity to level drain effect specifically (i.e. the bladesingers shroud).

Edit: Doing a fresh install of only the item expansion on IWD, shows that the items that have this problem don't get updated with a specific string reference. That is, the effect disable display string, references a string that doesn't exist on a clean install, and if it comes later in the mod order references strings that other mods add.

I Would imagine this would affect a pc install of Icewind Dale as well since it is also on version 1.4
    @jobby Thanks, I'll check that out, but I might also be scrapping any significant changes to the daylight-penalty system for the moment because it's being a bit of pain.

@rkocour If I understand you correctly, items that use "Text: Protection from Display Specific String [267]", like with Negative Plane Protection, instead of preventing the string, "One Level Drained" (BG2EE) prevent strings like, "The Nine Hells? Are you certain?" (SoD) or, "" (IWDEE)? I am seeing this issue because I haven't differentiated the strrefs between the games yet, but I'll be sure to do so. However, the item names and descriptions appear to be correct to me. Is this the string issue you're noticing, or is it something else too? Thanks for bringing this to my attention and please let me know of anything else you find.
  • rkocourrkocour Member Posts: 34
    @Abdel_Adrian yeah that's the issue i'm seeing. Its the strrefs for the protection from specific string on items.
  • seraglioseraglio Member Posts: 122
    I'm really curious about the Ioun stone component. How does it work. I looked briefly and it looked like there were copies of original Ioun stones that had spells on them. Perhaps then there is a script to make sure its in inventory after you activate its power? Just trying to figure out who it works, and how it would interact with Ioun tones from other modules.
  • seraglioseraglio Member Posts: 122
    Also are there any graphics? I recall seeing a few mods out there with multiple floating stone type graphics, but they were quite outdated.
    @seraglio the Congenio's Pebble Collection component works by replacing all existing ioun stones with exactly identical one - with the exception of the ability to move them from the helmet slot to the special ability tab. Normally I wouldn't replace an item like that, but it works seemlessly if there are no other mods affecting ioun stones.
    When the stone is removed, it creates another exactly identical stone that is already identified so this can be done over and over with one identification.
    There are no visual effects at the moment.
  • psycrospsycros Member Posts: 34
    This mod should be really be called Elven magic since all the classes are for elf or H-E. Why is cleric of Mystra elf only? Or is it..? There are a few of the classes with descriptions that kind of sound like any race could have the job - eldritch knight in particular - but then contradict themselves by saying their elf only.
    @psycros the mod clearly focuses on elves, but includes half-elf kits, and even a drow and tiefling kit. Most of the racial restrictions are PnP; the few that aren't, like Priest of Mystra and Eldritch Knight, have to do with the race/class restrictions of BG & IWD. Eldritch Knight, for example, is a fighter/mage; I only prevented gnomes from that kit while not adding races like half-orcs and halflings, which could never be fighter/mages in the first place. This logic is used with all of my kits that aren't from the Complete Book of Elves.
    As for why it's called "Eldritch Magic" and not "Elven Magic," look up the etymology of the word eldritch. ;)
  • psycrospsycros Member Posts: 34
    I understand the lingo fine, I just was confused by the inconsistent text regarding class eligibility. The two I'm most interested in are Eldritch Knight and War Wizard, which really sound fairly open as far as race is concerned. And yeah, you wouldn't want to use "Elven Magic"..you'd have Keebler's lawyers all over you. B)
    @psycros I'm not sure what you mean by, "inconsistent text regarding class eligibility." I'd most likely change it if you pointed out an inconsistency.
    War Wizard is straight out of the Complete Book of Elves as far as race-class restrictions. I agree that races other than elves can be wizards specialized for war, but under another kit name.
    Eldritch Knight isn't a 2E class, but as a Fighter/Mage, I chose to work within the restrictions already in place. This is actually touched upon in the kit description of Eldritch Knight for the few people wondering why some other race couldn't be that kit.