Skip to content

5e Classes You're Likely To Play?

GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
edited September 2016 in Off-Topic
Given that we know that any new Beamdog projects, whether "BG 3" or not (whether FR or not, potentially!), are going to use 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons rules, I thought I'd make a poll that captures all the classes (which means I'll be squishing some options into a single category at the end, so if you pick that make sure you comment with which one!) and take the pulse of ye forumites on what you feel you're most excited/likely to play!
  1. 5e Classes You're Likely To Play?30 votes
    1. Cleric
        6.67%
    2. Fighter
        6.67%
    3. Rogue
      16.67%
    4. Wizard
        6.67%
    5. Bard
      10.00%
    6. Druid
        0.00%
    7. Ranger
        3.33%
    8. Sorcerer
      10.00%
    9. Warlock
      33.33%
    10. Barbarian, Monk, Paladin
        6.67%
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Rogue probably first, or a Finesse Fighter if such a thing is allowed. Probably do a divine caster sometime down the road after that.
    GenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisov
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Please don't make a 5th edition game. I hate their multi classing mechanics. Munchkin mechanics turn me off
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I'm interested in seeing Beamdog's implementation of the Warlock, so if the Genasi race doesn't end up being in their new game as an option (which it might not, as it's not PH material), I'd almost definitely be rolling up a Tiefling Warlock for my first time through (and it'd be my 2nd time through even if Genasi is an option and lets me do my archer of elemental air)!
    JuliusBorisov
    PK2748 said:

Please don't make a 5th edition game. I hate their multi classing mechanics. Munchkin mechanics turn me off

Not really the topic of the thread, you can make your own on the topic if you like! :)
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Warlock with a pact to the Great old one. If they ended up using different pacts as a gameplay alternative.
    JuliusBorisov
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Always go with a rogue as they usually have the odd mechanics implimented to make them viable and cmon who doesnt love to roleplay one.

Although im not sure on the 5e mechanics. Wasnt too hot on the 3E which really seemed to push you to multiclassing when I would rather have a very uniquesingle class than making all my characters a mish mash of all the classes.
    It was hard to beat a level 20 Cleric or Druid with a multiclassed character in 3rd edition honestly, and 5e leans towards single classed builds in a much more balanced between all classes way than the "Cleric or Druid exception" (Wizards too pretty much) of 3rd edition. There were ways to do cheesy munchkiny things with kits in 2e same as there was to do cheesy things with prestige classes and so on in 3.5, and so far that level of cheese is entirely absent from 5e, and I don't find that 5e "pushes you to multiclass" to an even bigger degree than I found 3.5 didn't. I liked prestige classes but I found them underpowered generally compared to going straight through 1-20 unless I was playing a weaker class like a fighter or something. But again, 5e is way more balanced between the classes than 3.5 was so that level of imbalance between core classes isn't an issue anymore.

But again, this thread's about class and race choices not distinctions between editions! People interested in that can start their own thread and I'm sure lots of people, myself included, would be willing to weigh in!
    spacejawsJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Any preferences out of the other classes @subtledoctor?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    I gotta admit, if they include the Class Archetypes from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, I'd be sorely tempted to play a Mastermind Rogue.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I want to play the class with oozes.
    If there isn't one, I know what mod I am looking out for.

Although I wouldn't mind having a Witch base class.
    JuliusBorisovmf2112
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Well forget the warlock..If there was a psionics class similar to what the Cipher is in PoE, I would be a happy customer.
    Kamigoroshi

I want to play the class with oozes.
    If there isn't one, I know what mod I am looking out for.

Although I wouldn't mind having a Witch base class.

Ghaunadar, That Which Lurks, is listed as one of the possible Otherworldly Patrons for FR Warlocks selecting the Great Old One as their Patron, so that's gonna be the closest thing to the class with oozes unless they let you be a Cleric of Ghaunadar!
    Kamigoroshi
    batoor said:

Well forget the warlock..If there was a psionics class similar to what the Cipher is in PoE, I would be a happy customer.

Of the Player's Handbook options above where would you cast your vote? I'm more trying to get a feel for which classes of the official slate people are interested in with this poll rather than what classes Beamdog could make and add themselves.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Or druid
    JuliusBorisovGenderNihilismGirdle
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Had fun with a CN dwarven warlock in SCL.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I can't stop loving rogues.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I'd prolly go ranger and create some kind of stalker-type character, if possible within the 5e rules (I know nothing about them and haven't played anything newer than NVN2 with 3.5).
  • ChackChack Member Posts: 23
    Actually all 3 of them in different plays. First as a monk, then a paladin and then a barbarian.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I too want to play a tiefling warlock.

I'd also play wizard or sorcerer.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Sorcerery!
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    edited September 2016
    CN Forest Gnome Lore Bard with Necromancy spells.
    :smiley:

Maybe multiclassed with Druid or Rogue.
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Probably with a few levels of fighter thrown in for extra smashy fun.
    BillyYank said:

Probably with a few levels of fighter thrown in for extra smashy fun.

I'm surprised no one's picked fighter yet, actually! It's one of the Core Four and the only one of 'em that doesn't have a single vote yet!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Anything
    But
    Warlock.

Creates a tiefling warlock :naughty:

~

IF the RP elements are there, I think I'd enjoy the warlock class the best. Being in the servitude of an Arch Fey or a Fiend can be really compelling if done right.

The Old One, not so much for a video game as it seems to rely on psychic abilities which never translate well in games.

But if the game doesn't give you that greater being connection, I wouldn't like it.
    GenderNihilismGirdleKamigoroshi
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    No idea how they play in 5th but in 3-3.5 edition bard is my favorite class
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    There should be a choice for all of the above since I will eventually try every available option. :D
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    mf2112 said:

There should be a choice for all of the above since I will eventually try every available option. :D

With a few more options than 10, it could have been! :P
    mf2112