Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    @Wise_Grimwald, congrats on making it through SoD! That's pretty impressive... first time blind no-reload? I'm hoping @Blackraven and I can successfully follow you.

What is your record progress in BG2?
    edited September 2016
    Cavan has successfully crossed Boreskyr Bridge.

He chose to surrender Bridgefort to the crusaders, avoiding a potential confrontation with a half-orc called "the Barghest".

He then charged the Bridge defenders with overwhelming force. 5 skelly warriors, everyone hasted and buffed to the hilt. The potion cost was heavy, but it turned out that the crusaders had mostly abandoned the Bridge, leaving only a token force to try and blow it up.

Cavan secured the Bridge with little effort. He is slightly concerned that the Barghest may return to challenge him later.

Cavan has now reached the Siege Camp.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,854
    edited September 2016

@Wise_Grimwald, congrats on making it through SoD! That's pretty impressive... first time blind no-reload? I'm hoping @Blackraven and I can successfully follow you.

What is your record progress in BG2?

Not that great in no-reloads. I have finished the game but not no-reload. I probably would have if I hadn't kept adding mods to make it more interesting. I particularly liked adding NPC mods, but others like ToD and SCS made it more interesting. I will probably find that I get confused by the fact that things in the mods aren't included.

I have never played it in EE so perhaps on this occasion I won't add mods as it will be new anyway.

Playing it Neutral will also make a change. I've always played a good character in the past.

EDIT
    Just discovered why people say that it is buggy.
    Starlight, a cleric cannot wear either the splint or chainmail. I have just realised that I will have to delete files from previous installations in my documents folder and re-install yet again.
    edited September 2016
    Sounds like it might be time to succeed, @Wise_Grimwald. Good luck + intelligence!

I've finished vanilla BG2 once, with reloads. Once with the old-school Tactics mod, with many reloads. But never ToB under any circumstance. Last time I tried, I gave up because the Staff of the Magi in vanilla felt like cheating.

Patience hasn't been one of my virtues... but age is helping.

I'm now spending loads of time buffing before foreseeable conflicts. I'm keeping my Bhaalspawn's aura clear most of the time, using it to counter disablers.... it's definitely increasing my progress.

I think I'm now committed to including SoD into every new attempt. It is a worthy addition to the saga. I feel like I need to do more runs with new companions to get more of the meat of it. I'm also wondering what SCS would do to it....

Odds are, I've got lots of rats left to kill in Candlekeep!
    Post edited by Blind_Visionary on
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    Best of luck with your new run, USSNorway!
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    edited September 2016
    Just a quick update on my latest FMT Dice with the 18/00 str roll:

Was very smooth sailing, too smooth in fact. Even though I didn't break my own rules for the run it just got a tad too meta a tad too often, using the perfect amount of resources for every encounter, traveling invis when I should etc etc.

So Dice was struck down by restartitis. It doesn't even offer a save..
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited September 2016
    As Goibniu enters the Underdark, it occurred to me that, Beamdog really needs a Tom Lehrer-themed BG2EE achievement if a character successfully poisons a Hook Horror (most pigeon-like monster I can think of) in the Underdark.

(Move along. OCD Geek with obscure reference issues.)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Enuhal said:

Goibniu, human paladin, update 25
    I'm not sure how, since Irenicus hadn't been taking any damage for a while according to the combat log. The best explanation I have is that his speech trigger was somehow delayed and I had actually defeated him very early on (though the game refused to acknowledge it for a while).

There is a speech trigger delay in that encounter. Typically I will use a GWW on Jon for most of a round to 'kill' him before retreating back out of harm's way and waiting for him to realise it's time to go ...
    edited September 2016
    As mentioned in my last post, BG2 EE is still very buggy. My imported cleric Starlight cannot use armour of any type, though so far my barbarian Seluna is fine.

I used Gog Galaxy for the installation so it should be the latest version.

To make them work correctly do I import Seluna as per usual and then in multi-player mode create a cleric called Starlight and edit her in EE Keeper to make her stats as they should be?

Edit: I have discovered what has caused the problem. In BG1 she was a Silverstar of Selune from the Clerical remix. In Dragonspear this was changed to just Cleric.

Upon import this kit was changed to Grizzly.

There appear to be two answers: Install Clerical Remix into BG2 EE, or change the class to base class.

Changing class to base class improves things, (She can use armour) but I will see what effect installing Clerical Remix has.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    edited September 2016
    wise, any mod with sod will cause issues because the dlc has its own files that are not part of bg1 or 2... as for the import, use the sod_final save if you need \ want to bring over any of the party equipment into bg2, there is a post on this that tells you what items carry over if you want to know.
    Psc- 1

Another slow start,

Hear text as mp3,

I’m taking my time again, J died to save a drow then we asked Imoen to kite the first Battle horror... Sarah killed it and grabbed most the experience so we talked some bar fly out of a fight to finish my level. I did consider staying with stalker for another level but we need healing now, so I dualed to cleric... Sarah is now third level and managed to pickpocket a nice cape.
    Permafrost was gifted to Glacies, an old knight when she rescued an elf enchanters child from the mews of the ogre that had been terrorising an elf settlement.
    Returning the child to his mother, Glacies was then rewarded with Permafrost, replacing her sword that had been broken in the ensuring fight for the child.
    The sword has since been passed down from knight to apprentice (squire) before being lost in the shadow king wars...
    ... That is until today.

Permafrost is a + 2 simitar that does extra ice damage against targets
    When fighting Ogres the sword may send their soul to the ice plains on any critical hit, any ogre suffering this fate will be frozen solid and killed outright.
    edited September 2016
    ussnorway said:

wise, any mod with sod will cause issues because the dlc has its own files that are not part of bg1 or 2... as for the import, use the sod_final save if you need \ want to bring over any of the party equipment into bg2, there is a post on this that tells you what items carry over if you want to know.

I know how to use modmerge for SoD which solves most problems.

In BG2 I have now installed Divine Remix and BG2 Tweaks.

I used EE Keeper to make Starlight a Silverstar of Selune again.

For the duration of the Siege of Dragonspear she was a standard cleric. I can live with that.

I was pleased that I did not lose ALL my equipment but a bit disappointed that the shields that were made in Dragonspear, the ones made from dragonskin and the hide of a boring beetle were lost. Some good arrows were also lost on importation, but at least Starlight has her sunburst bullets and Imoen has a dart that will do poison damage. It's not powerful, but will interrupt spells. :)

The only armour for Seluna that will import is some splint mail +1. All the good stuff was lost upon import. :(

The parts of Tweaks that were installed were the convenience parts.

Imoen is much better looking thief/conjurer

They are now up and ready to go.
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2016
    Aasim said:

@Serg_BlackStrider

aTweaks with Gating + SCS HP for Demons? SRv4? Tweaked SCS? You must be crazy! I'll join you (just to get to freakin' level 4 :) )
    GL, you're gonna need it. Note that aTweaks demons won't (I think) use PWs vs Deflections, but they'll toss Dispels like there's no tomorrow.....

Yeah, I know - something like that, it seems :) But as you know I'm already familiar with aTweaks + Gating + SCS (no SCS HP for Demons though and that's quite a difference - no more Deathblow/Greater Deathblow spam for them). Spell Revisions are a blind experience so what else one might desire for greater fun, huh? Glad to have you by my side and thanks for your support, tips and best wishes. To you the same! :)

edited September 2016
    Selûna has gone through the portal and has rejected the help of Yoshimo.
    I'd forgotten how easy the dungeon is without mods.
    Next time I will have to install SCS I think. The downside of no SCS is having less experience. :(
    However, it is well past time that I completed the run no-reloads so I will try it as it is this time.
    She completed the dungeon with no problem as having a cleric she didn't need to use a single potion or scroll.

Best of luck with your new run, USSNorway!

Thanks Corey_Russell.

Selûna has gone through the portal and has rejected the help of Yoshimo.
    I'd forgotten how easy the dungeon is without mods.
    Next time I will have to install SCS I think. The downside of no SCS is having less experience. :(
    However, it is well past time that I completed the run no-reloads so I will try it as it is this time.
    She completed the dungeon with no problem as having a cleric she didn't need to use a single potion or scroll.

Are you playing core?
    edited September 2016
    @ussnorway Yes. I wish you intelligence in your new run.
    @Grond0 Best of intelligence at Spellhold.
    Seluna has helped out at the circus, killed Amalas, and has now looked into the other entertainment available at the Copper Coronet and discovered some slavers. She has defeated some, but has now discovered that there are some more.
    Seluna and Starlight have both just reached level 11. Starlight has therefore just regained some (not all) of the spellslots that she lost due to losing wisdom increasing equipment upon importing from Dragonspear.

Edit

She has just got Lilacor and is about to find Nalia before trying to free the rest of the slaves. The myconids almost killed Starlight due to the entire party (All two of them) getting confused. :(
    edited September 2016
    @Grond0 Now is NOT the time to lose your concentration.

@Corey_Russell The romance with Aerie was quite funny when Korgan was in the party, but I didn't like the fact that she jumps into bed with you and gets hot with you without so much as a "by your leave."
    That once happened to me in RL and I wasn't happy.
    There should be consent IMO even in games. If the character is evil, of course consent might be missing, but not for a good character.
    There seems to be an assumption that the bloke will ALWAYS say yes, and whilst that is often the case, it isn't always.