Skip to content

What should you do when you find a bug in SoD or want this or that thing to look/behave differently?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
Today the world has awaken with a new BG game in 16 years. In the same time, BGEE and BG2EE have been patched, and the patch changes are huge.

And it's completely understandable that while the game is fun and all, you can find a bug there and/or wish to see something different in terms of UI, portrait selection, etc etc. In the end, you've been playing BG for years, and you can find some things introduced by the patch to be strange, wrong, call it whatever.

Many things that are being discussed in these first hours after the release actually more or less repeat the discussiong from the open beta of 2.0 subforum.

Many things that are still bugs in the released version were already not only reported but submitted. The developers just haven't had enough time to implement fixes into the build, so we have to wait several weeks for that.

Don't worry, the work on the game continues. They put a lot of effort to improve the UI based on the forum feedback in the last several days before the release, so that probably explains why other fixes didn't find their way into the game.

The bug and feature reporting system here has been updated, based on the feedback from the open beta (which proved to be worthy).

Now you can follow the instructions here - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs#latest to report any bug and/or feature you want to be implemented.
Cerevant said:

Step 1: Check for Mods

Make sure that you have no mods installed, and that you have not edited your save game. If you do, try to reproduce the issue with a new game on a clean installation. We can’t fix issues with mods, and it’s often hard to tell where a bug came from if it’s only being reported on a modified game. If you can reproduce the issue with no mods installed, move to Step 2.

(If it turns out the issue was caused by one or more of your mods, check out the Modding forum and see if the mod's author can help you identify the cause of the problem. Your issue may help a mod designer/maintainer make their mod better!)

Step 2: Reproduce the issue.

If it’s a gameplay issue, try to go through the same steps you took to make it happen. The simpler the steps are the better, but it’s important to be precise so that we can isolate the cause and fix the problem. Be sure to create a saved game just prior to the steps you took, so that we can retrace those steps exactly.

If the issue is related to graphics or text, take a screenshot. On Windows and Mac, pressing PrntScrn during play will generate a screenshot in your Documents\Baldur’s Gate – Enhanced Edition\ScrnShots folder; you don’t need any external programs to make it work.

Step 3: Report the issue

Bug reporting will be handled using Redmine. If you do not yet have an account, register there first! For those who tested with us before, we're using a drastically simplified approach - so no worries!

There are separate projects in Redmine for each game. You can find the project for the game you are testing by selecting it from the "Jump to a project..." drop down in the upper right corner of the page.

From there, you want to click on the "Issues" tab and look through or search to see if the issue has already been reported.

For each new issue, click on the "New Issue" tab, and fill in the following details:

In the Tracker: box, Select whether you think the issue is a Bug or a new Feature

In the Subject: box, A title that includes your platform in brackets and clearly states what is wrong.
Try to formulate the subject as a "should" or "should not" statement.

Example: [Windows] There should be no audio distortions while the movies play.

The following three items go in the Description Box:

A numbered list of exact steps that will reproduce the problem.
Anyone reading the list should be able to follow it without detailed knowledge of the quest or situation. There are two ways to do this:
1. Begin with starting a new game from the main menu.

2. Attach a zipped save and begin with "1. Load the attached save."
In either case, it is okay to include console commands to shorten the steps (see the example below).

A one-sentence statement (each) of the observed and expected behaviors.
As with the subject, try to use "should" or "should not" statements. If you don't know what the expected behavior is, write down the negation of the observed behavior.

Your hardware and any notes or additional media needed to understand or reproduce the issue.
  • Under Notes, include your hardware and anything else you want to add.
  • If you are reporting a visual problem, include a screenshot using jpg or png file format only.
  • You may also attach a video using mp4 file format only
  • If your game crashed, find the crash dump in Documents\Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition\crash and attach it to your report as a .zip. Also include the savegame that generated the crash dump.
  • The zip file format is the only permitted file compression format for bug ticket attachments. Please do not use RAR, 7z, bz2 or any other compression format.
If the problem is a typo, edit baldur.lua to include SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Strref On','1'). This puts a number before each string in the game. Report the string reference number in your bug report.

Finally, in the Found In Version box, select the specific version you were testing.

Example report

Thanks!
elminstermf2112SjerrieillathidAbelIthualcdxlolien[Deleted User]Gozeta

Comments

• gnappomangnappoman Member Posts: 8
    Hello, why don't you make a single, unified, world map for all three games and expansions, so that at the end of the game one could re-visit all the places and finish all sub quests?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2016
    What if the same bug is in multiple games? Report in all?

Like if something is in bgee vanilla and SOD and bg2ee?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @smeagolheart According to @Cerevant you can report it in all of them. I think they have some people that take internal reports and put external reports in for all affected games anyway, so it may save the devs some time if you do it yourself.
    smeagolheartJuliusBorisovlolien
  • 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267
    Does anyone know of a way to spawn items in there "unidentified" state ?

I noticed anything unidentified such as arrow, scroll, ect. Will stack with identified items once in a container such as a scroll case. This also causes extra issues when you try and remove the items from the bags.

I cant seem find the command to do so when writing up the bug report so i can add it to the reproduce steps. I know I can probably just find a spawn location for some unidentified arrows somewhere but wanted a cleaner solution.

Thanks!
  • MerricMerric Member Posts: 1
    Where would we send fix requests that are not necessarily bugs but are an oversight?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Merric said:

Where would we send fix requests that are not necessarily bugs but are an oversight?

If it's an oversight I think it would still count as a bug so report it in that section.

JuliusBorisovlolien
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If the behavior you see looks incorrect, set the Tracker to "Bug"; if it turns out it's working by design, we'll change the Tracker to "Feature" (which doesn't mean it won't get addressed, but it helps us when scheduling work).

If the behavior doesn't look incorrect but you think it could be better, set the Tracker to "Feature".

Other than that, we follow the same format for Bugs and Features: clear steps to reproduce the issue (or to get to the spot where the feature should be if it doesn't exist right now) help us to more quickly identify the scope of the issue. It's the text-based equivalent of us standing over your shoulder and watching you show us where the bug is.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Is there something broken or changed with Redmine atm?

I keep getting "Bad Gateway" when I try to upload anything like over a mb or 2. I know there is a 50mb limit but the last file for example was only 5mb. I tried both the ziped and unziped version. I wasn't having issues with files like these a week ago.

Thanks
    JuliusBorisov
  • jmkarlssonjmkarlsson Member Posts: 30
    Bug Norton antivirus attempted to delete siege of dragonspear when I started the game

Bug Norton antivirus attempted to delete siege of dragonspear when I started the game

Silly question.. Did you pirate the game?

If not what file is nortan flagging for deletion and which format is it on. Gog, steam, ect.
  • EricDietzEricDietz Member Posts: 2

What if the same bug is in multiple games? Report in all?

Like if something is in bgee vanilla and SOD and bg2ee?

Yeah, I'm locked out of all BG games now so it's even worse..

Windows 7, my graphics card worked fine BG EE & 2 worked fine before the patch.

I posted my freezing after gameplay bug on the bug site there.

Now I'm locked out, can't even go in, make characters.. try multiplayer, etc.

I can't access my own game on steam any more.. well.. the BG games. Including dragonspar expansion.

So.. now what?
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate EE through the Siege of Dragonspear engine. Hopefully a correct skin will be available in near future patch.

O_BruceSjerrie
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    I do not remember as having had that problem, @Vasculio. Could it be platform specific?
    Sjerrie said:

I do not remember as having had that problem, @Vasculio. Could it be platform specific?

So is it a bug then? I'm using Window's 7

• Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    That's not Siege Of Dragonspear, I don't think, the UI is not blue in SOD.

What version of the game are you running @Vasculio ?
    Mr2150 said:

That's not Siege Of Dragonspear, I don't think, the UI is not blue in SOD.

What version of the game are you running @Vasculio ?

I should note. That i started this new game when the second patch came out. So im not sure if its a patching error. Yes the blue back drop is error if your playing Baldur's Gate Enhance Edition through the Siege of Dragonspear game.

If you examine the "Replay" and "Done" buttom. You will notice the Black Scales
    JuliusBorisov
    New Glitch... The door of this gnome village is miss aligned when closed

• Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    edited October 2016
    Hi I'm not sure where to post about this since it is not really a game related bug (right?). But I just bought SoD and already the text on the "info screen" seems bugged. Obviously no mods installed or anything like that. Can I still go on and play or do I need to re-download it or something? Thanks!

(removed screenshot) Resolved!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    For some reason, the formatting doesn't work for you, @JosefineS . What you see is formatting, not a bug. So go on and play it :)
    Fina92
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    I am sorry but I just encountered something else weird. I imported a character from BGEE (beast master who can summon familiar), the familiar was in the inventory and when I released it, it just disappeared. I tried to summon a new one but the game said I already summoned a familiar so I can't do it again. What did I do wrong here?
    edited October 2016
    @JosefineS Im just guessing some solutions, Im thinking that the save is from an older version of BG:EE that had a different familiar asset ID then the current one or something...

-Is the imported character the first character out of the 6. Only the main character can summon a familiar.
    -Are you able to load the game with the familiar before the export. Then resave the game, which when u load it again for export it might "fix" the export file to the new format? if its a new format
    -Or maybe try export it when its not in your inventory? That way it might not be an issue.
    -Is the familiar in the very first inventory slot, top left slot.
    -If worse comes to worse im guessing you should be able to edit it back with shadow keeper

Hope that helps :)
    JuliusBorisov
    Is it still worth adding bug reports for SOD ? I am replaying the game and have found a few bugs I havnt found on redmine. Im just guessing beamdog is more focused on the new project more so then a new patch for SOD.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @00zim00 Without reports it will be harder to track back the bugs. So even while the focus of the team is on another project right now, please, report bugs for BGEE, SoD, BG2EE and IWDEE on Redmine - as the team will return to patching the EEs later.
    lolien00zim00elminster
  • NicolBluetoothNicolBluetooth Member Posts: 48
    Vasculio said:

I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate EE through the Siege of Dragonspear engine. Hopefully a correct skin will be available in near future patch.

I'm curious as to how one could play BG:EE through the SoD Engine as Vasculio described. Could someone come up with a quick tutorial on how to accomplish this, if it really can be done?
    Vasculio
    @NickBluetooth If you have BGEE+SoD you'll see two icons on the main starting screen below the menu buttons - these icons actually are designed to switch between BGEE, SoD and the Black Pits. The SoD interface for BG:EE is available if you have BGEE+SoD.
    NicolBluetoothVasculio
    @JuliusBorisov Im just wondering. If a bug has been 'Submitted' does that mean its just on the internal bug tracking list to be done or does that mean its been fixed and will be in the next patch?

Reason I ask is because their are some bugs, such as the "Imported Character Losing Max HP", and other bugs that have been set to submitted like a year ago for an earlier patch but they seem to be still present.

Im not sure if I should resubmit it or assume its going to be looked at in the next patch. Likewise once a bug is fixed is the status on redmine updated to reflect that or is that something we usually dont see?

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    Minor bug report in Siege of Dragonspear (most recent version, from Steam):

I blackmailed Corinth for everything he had, in the Dragonspear Castle Courtyard. His armor and weapon (Hide Armor and Short Sword, both unenchanted) were dropped on the ground, and picked up by a character in my party, namely Corwin. She is now unable to drop or sell them, attempting to even put them in a container results in the message "This item cannot be removed". So, Corwin is now reduced by a couple of inventory slots.

I get the impression that this armor and weapon were not meant to be dropped by Corinth at all, even if you blackmail him. Checking in EEKeeper reveals that the two items have the "undroppable" flag which I've had to remove: so Corinth should not have dropped them or handed them to the player in response to the blackmail. (His other stuff - the enchanted bow and arrows - was handed over just fine.)
    @JLE Thanks! Will it be possible for you to load the zip of your save at support.baldursgate.com ?
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    Nope, have long ago got past that. In fact just finished Siege of Dragonspear and imported into BG2:EE (first time playing both games with the EE, having played a dozen times in original version.) I fixed my savefile with EE keeper, and since it was a quicksave, probably saved right over it later.
    JuliusBorisov