Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Wow. Totally undeserved honour.

I will add the following caveats:
    - vanilla game core rules (must be the only one)
    - I actually got killed in the circus bug at the beggining of SoA from what I read
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    Still, well-earned title.
  • Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    Grond0 said:

'Long-life challenge' - sun soul monk {10} (update 1)

I've finally managed to get a success in this challenge (on my 99th attempt!).

Did I miss the post about your victory? Or is that in another thread?
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    @RelSundan

This early on, a spell like Horror can end you. Pro Fear + spreading out your party (it wasn't Hold that did you, it was Sleep which disabled nearly everyone) are essential in early game. Better luck next time, in any case.
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    Aasim said:

@RelSundan

This early on, a spell like Horror can end you. Pro Fear + spreading out your party (it wasn't Hold that did you, it was Sleep which disabled nearly everyone) are essential in early game. Better luck next time, in any case.

Hm, we can argue all day about what killed me. The party was taken out by sleep effect yes, but Nimbul only targeted me. He was on his last spells IIRC and if I would have saved that hold and just survived a bit longer on my own my party would be back up and at it again, but yeah, I was unprepared and he was fast. Thanks for the advice about spreading out, I'm going to keep that in mind next time I deal with a threat like this b-tard.

@Aasim
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    @Aasim - vanilla behavior is for custom NPCs (player characters really) to leave if kicked out of the party after they talk to you to confirm. Note that you can leave them somewhere with area transition before they talk to you, then they can stay out until you talk to them at some undetermined date and join you then.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    @Corey_Russell

I know. I install a tweak to change that (I only need it for Hell Trials to avoid scripted chunking death), but it doesn't work like it should.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Thanks @Pteran. I've had very little experience with the Dark Moon Monk, so wouldn't like to say what's stronger. I agree that (at least for my playstyle) the Sun Soul Monk is very strong. The availability of stealth to any solo character is a huge benefit and the speed advantage of the monk makes that slightly easier to utilise properly. The extremely quick magic damage available means most casters never get a chance to do anything, while in the EE the addition of strength damage to slings allows for significantly quicker progress than in vanilla. From previous experience the decent AC, high MR and powerful offense make everything up to the Throne not too much of a challenge. However, like with all characters you do need to use their strengths and mask their weaknesses. Especially early in BG1, but right through the game as well, just attacking with a monk in melee (without keeping a close eye on HPs and being ready to retreat) will quickly get you killed ...