Skip to content

I Hate Bears!

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
I hate the bears in BG! Their Thac0 is too good and they hit too hard! They will chase one character to the Abyss and back before they give up! Cave bears are the worst, but the others are just as bad! They wander right up to you and then become angry that you are close to them! Ugh! So annoying!

(This has been a rant by Tresset.)

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

You hate them now, but when you get a couple of levels under your teams belt, they become sweet, fat, furry sacks of EXP.

That may be, but all of my above complaints about them still apply, which is why they bug me so much.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    Tresset said:

I hate the bears in BG! Their Thac0 is too good and they hit too hard! They will chase one character to the Abyss and back before they give up! Cave bears are the worst, but the others are just as bad!

I don't very often play with a party, but when I do I love cave bears! They chase a single character around allowing others to fill the bear full of missiles without even having to move around.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    The "make a beeline for you" behavior is indeed a pain in the ass.

But as pointed out here, at least bears hand out a little bit of XP. Wolves are the worst. Annoying, show up in packs, hit hard and yield pathetic XP. And no loot.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    batoor said:

Just wait until you get the rare bandit archer ambush with them saying ''So I kicked him in the head until he was dead nyahahahaaha!'' and then he hits your mage. After that I don't think the slow little bears will seem all that bad.

They also spawn with like 10+ archers....

Yeah, the bandit encounter can be instant death at low levels, but I usually like getting it once I have assembled a party because it means I can harvest their scalps for cash. Bandits become significantly less dangerous as you level up. Wolves don't do nearly as much damage as bears and they have much more trouble hitting you when your AC gets good. Bears... No matter how good your AC gets or how high your level is they always seem to be able to hit you, and for a sizable chunk of damage too. That is probably what annoys me most about them. Their other antics just add to the irritation factor. I especially hate it when a cave bear starts chasing a squishy mage. Cave bears may be easy to kite, but I usually prefer not to do that unless I have to. Just not my thing really...
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Kilivitz said:

The "make a beeline for you" behavior is indeed a pain in the ass.

But as pointed out here, at least bears hand out a little bit of XP. Wolves are the worst. Annoying, show up in packs, hit hard and yield pathetic XP. And no loot.

This bothered me for a long time as well. I finally made a mod to address this in my own game. This may not be your cup of tea, but just in case...

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/47699/critter-parts-mini-mod-for-baldur-s-gate-ee#latest
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Cave bears are pretty tough.

All the more reason to have your ranger charm them and send them against all the other enemies in the area.
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    Bears are becoming an impressive pest, one that I am finding it difficult to ignore.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    you don't like bears? sit down

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    BillyYank said:

None has a soul.

'Tis more of a leasing agreement, actually :smirk:
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited November 2016
    I forgot to mention that I really ate bears too. For breakfast. When I was four. No, they weren't Haribo gummy bears, or other kind of bear-shaped candies or cookies :)
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    Ardanis said:

I forgot to mention that I really ate bears too. For breakfast. When I was four. No, they weren't Haribo gummy bears, or other kind of bear-shaped candies or cookies :)

I don't think I could bear that.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    If you're hungry enough you can bear anything :p
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    If only we could replace bears with owlbears... at least they do give a hoot.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2016
    Was Trichinosis a bit of a scare factor with the bear meat where you lived? Well I presume it was well cooked anyway. Just sounds scary^^
    Tresset said:

batoor said:

Just wait until you get the rare bandit archer ambush with them saying ''So I kicked him in the head until he was dead nyahahahaaha!'' and then he hits your mage. After that I don't think the slow little bears will seem all that bad.

They also spawn with like 10+ archers....

Yeah, the bandit encounter can be instant death at low levels, but I usually like getting it once I have assembled a party because it means I can harvest their scalps for cash. Bandits become significantly less dangerous as you level up. Wolves don't do nearly as much damage as bears and they have much more trouble hitting you when your AC gets good. Bears... No matter how good your AC gets or how high your level is they always seem to be able to hit you, and for a sizable chunk of damage too. That is probably what annoys me most about them. Their other antics just add to the irritation factor. I especially hate it when a cave bear starts chasing a squishy mage. Cave bears may be easy to kite, but I usually prefer not to do that unless I have to. Just not my thing really...
    Well that's a fair point I guess. I actually read the opening post without realizing it was you who made the thread. Thought it was a newcomer frustrated with a creature encounter^^

I think Wyverns are some of the worst I encounter during ambushes, although it's only in cloakwood. Mostly because of the poison.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    batoor said:

Was Trichinosis a bit of a scare factor with the bear meat where you lived? Well I presume it was well cooked anyway. Just sounds scary^^

It was about several thousand kilometers away from where I actually live, so no idea. I did get sick for the entire trip, though, but don't remember if it was before visiting the restaurant or not...
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited November 2016
    I love bears! They're comfy and easy to wear!

#wearbears #youngsterjoey
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182