Skip to content

[v1.9] Sirene, a tiefling paladin of Ilmater NPC for BG2:EE

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
edited May 2020 in BGII:EE Mods

Portrait by Isandir

Introduction

Sirene is a tiefling paladin of Ilmater, the Crying God, patron of endurance and martyrdom. While she is still new to her responsibilities and uncertain of herself, she is a loyal follower of her faith and devoted the protection of the innocent. At the same time, the stigma of her infernal heritage has made her a lonely and withdrawn individual who desperately seeks the comfort of friendship and trust.

She can be found within the High Hall of the Radiant Heart, in the corridor past the entrance. She will only join a non-evil PC. Her level is dependent on the PC’s upon joining.

Race: Tiefling
Class: Martyr (Paladin)
Alignment: Lawful Good

Strength: 16
Dexterity: 17
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 17

Mod includes:

– One new party member
    – A romance with a PC of any gender or race with 10+ Reputation
    – Friendship dialogue for those uninterested in romance
    – Banters with every joinable NPC
    – One small encounter
    – A few new items and spells
    – Crossmod content

Post edited by TheArtisan on
LavaDelVortelCaszidymegamike15EekanImpSaber83inethFina92ThrasymachusThacoBellbooinyoureyesilduderinoBlackbɨrd

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2016
    NPC Reactions, Screenshots and General Trivia (TBA) will be added to this post

Reactions to Bioware NPCs:
    Aerie: As two compassionate women who hate violence and share an alignment, Aerie and Sirene get along well. Aerie is a little intimidated at the start for a multitude of reasons, but they find quite a bit of common ground. It's hard to spot but Sirene has a slight attraction towards Aerie (though I may not have made it clear enough in writing). 4 banters in SoA.

Anomen: Since Anomen will change in alignment and viewpoint depending on character choices, his relationship with Sirene will vary. He does show quite a bit of prejudice towards both Sirene's heritage and her faith, but she takes it reasonably gracefully. If Anomen passes his knighthood test, they will reconcile. If not, well... let's just say things aren't so pretty. CN-Anomen is the only character Sirene will refuse to talk to in ToB. 4 banters in SoA.

Cernd: Cernd is quite fascinated, and a bit sympathetic, towards the imbalance in Sirene's soul. He makes efforts to help her through it, providing some interesting insight towards the reasons for her nightmares and inner turmoil. 3 banters in SoA.

Dorn: Not compatible.

Edwin: They are somewhat civil to each other as each side grudgingly admits that they are more useful as allies than enemies, but Edwin tends to pry too much into the 'potential' of Sirene's infernal blood which puts her on edge. Up to 4 banters in SoA.

Haer'Dalis: Sirene's hopeless romantic nature makes it easy for Haer'Dalis to charm her with clever words and poetry, but she is all too aware of their ideological differences. 3 banters in SoA.

Hexxat: Not compatible.

Imoen: Sirene is incredibly fond of Imoen to the point of being over-protective, which bothers Imoen a little. For the most part, Imoen treats her like an older sibling and both teases and confides in her. Up to 4 banters in SoA.

Jaheira: They are always respectful towards each other, but their relationship is somewhat warmer if they knew each other from BG1. Jaheira disapproves of Sirene's tendency to put others above herself to reckless and near-suicidal extents. Up to 5 banters in SoA.

Jan: They have very little in common (and I massively lack in skill when it comes to writing for Jan). For the most part, Sirene is bothered by Jan's tendency to drone on, but is too polite to stop him. 1 banter in SoA.

Keldorn: They get along reasonably well. Keldorn is one of the few people Sirene feels comfortable talking about her doubts to, and he gives her some heartfelt advice. Up to 6 banters in SoA.

Korgan: Sirene sees right through Korgan's superficial love for wealth and ale and recognizes his bloodlust that borders on insanity. She wants nothing to do with him, and makes her thoughts clear early on. 1 banter in SoA.

Mazzy: Birds of a feather. They start off a little awkwardly but quickly develop mutual respect and become lifelong sister-at-arms. Up to 5 banters in SoA.

Minsc: Unlike most characters, even the good ones that are put off by Minsc's eccentricities, Sirene is actually slightly envious of his unshakable friendship with Boo due to her own background and treats him with respect. Up to 3 banters in SoA.

Nalia: Sirene has little experience with nobles, and is quick to try and understand Nalia and her thoughts on her own class. Nalia has respect for followers of Ilmater for their selfless ways so they get along decently. 2 banters in SoA.

Neera: Despite their somewhat conflicting alignments, they actually have a bit in common. They're both social outcasts to an extent that are desperate for friendship and acceptance, so they're willing to put up with their risks (well, mostly Neera's risks) to have a friendly relationship. 3 banters in SoA.

Rasaad: They are on friendly terms, but Sirene is quite vocal with her disapproval of his quest for vengeance. Rasaad admits her words have merit but cannot (or just plain refuses to) see alternatives. 3 banters in SoA.

Valygar: They both have bad experiences with the powers that are in their blood, though to different extents. Sirene has great respect for Valygar and asks him for combat training. Valygar is somewhat reluctant. 5 banters in SoA.

Viconia: Their personalities are a near-opposite, but they have quite a lot in common in their respective pasts. Sirene is willing to find common ground. Viconia is not - at least, not initially. Up to 5 banters in SoA.

Yoshimo: They are quite friendly, as Sirene finds Yoshimo's disarming personality difficult to dislike. Even after the truth is revealed, she remains rather sympathetic and will speak for his defense when the matter of his heart comes into play. 5 banters in SoA.
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
    Caszidybooinyoureyes
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,678
    Note that this mod is something you really should try. @Artemius_I did some great job! If someone has some free time, please help and test it :smile:
    Caszidy
  • Saber83Saber83 Member Posts: 94
    Busy downloading now. Will let you know how it turns out.
    @Saber83 Thanks, I appreciate the support!
    @Artemius_I, I thought should let you know. I am currently on chapter 3. I have had my first friendship/romance convo while in the Umar Hills dungeon. The only problem I encountered was the encounter outside the city gates did not start. I have the GOG version 2.3.67.2 installed with only the following mods: Fade Npc and DungeonBeGone.
    @Saber83 The first encounter's coded to only occur after running into the first two random encounters (Eldarin and Renfeld). Also, I've occasionally traveled to Umar Hills and not gotten the encounter, while going to Trademeet has always started it. See if that helps.
    Thanks. Haven't run into Renfeld yet so that explains it a little. Will see if I travel somewhere else.
    So I am now in chapter 6. Really enjoying the mod. I do not know how many there are, but I have only had two banters between Fade and Sirene so far. Some of her flirts do not seem to engage correctly. They start and then you have only one choice "NO VALID REPLIES". This happened twice consecutively after speaking with Elhan and once in Trademeet. Other than that, haven't encountered any major faults.
    @Saber83 Good to know. Thanks for getting through so much so quickly. Fade and Sirene have a total of five SoA banters. The flirts thing is something I need to look into. I know what's wrong but I'm not sure how to fix it yet.
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 244
    Same with me. I'm in chapter 3 and I've got "Sirene has been watching you closely as of late. NO VALID RESPONSES OR OPTIONS".

A shame as those flirts that do activate are quite cute^^
    edited November 2016
    @Mothor I'm working on fixing that (among a few other things)
    edited November 2016
    I'm looking forward to the fix :)

Congrats on your work btw. I enjoyed what I played so far from the BG2 part quite a bit.
    @Saber83 @Mothor The flirts thing should be fixed now... I've reset the timer a few dozen times without getting a 'no valid response'.
    Saber83
    I don't know what caused, but I noticed last night when I loaded a save game. For some reason when I went to the character sheet, Sirene's class was replaced by "Invalid" and then a series of numbers. Everything else seems fine and she still has all her abilities.

Also, minor observation. Sirene's crossmod banter with Fade does not seem to happen as often as with the other BG 2 characters. I have even installed a banter accelarator (included in one of the banter pack mods), but they still take ages to happen.

Love the romance so far, seems to me a mix between Aerie's and Jaheira's, which to me can only be a good thing.
    Saber83 said:

I don't know what caused, but I noticed last night when I loaded a save game. For some reason when I went to the character sheet, Sirene's class was replaced by "Invalid" and then a series of numbers. Everything else seems fine and she still has all her abilities.

Also, minor observation. Sirene's crossmod banter with Fade does not seem to happen as often as with the other BG 2 characters. I have even installed a banter accelarator (included in one of the banter pack mods), but they still take ages to happen.

Love the romance so far, seems to me a mix between Aerie's and Jaheira's, which to me can only be a good thing.

Maybe one needs to start the game from the beginning with the fixed version for it to work well?

Unless I misunderstand and you did not install the update.
    @Mothor. No, I'm still running off the v0.1 beta, I haven't updated yet. It's an error I noticed a little while after I mentioned the whole "Flirts not working correctly" thing.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    For a little more demonic appearance...
    ;)

edited November 2016
    @Edvin While I appreciate the effort, I'd rather you not alter the portraits as they're not my creation. There are also a few plot reasons why I think her appearance is more appropriate:

1. Sirene has devilish blood, not demonic.
    2. It's not directly stated but her planar blood has become very diluted over the generations - to the point where she looks entirely human except for her horns, catlike pupils and slightly dark complexion.
    3. I've made too many references to her eye and hair color within the mod, the above portrait wouldn't work well.
    LavaDelVortel
    @Artemius_I
    I have no ulterior motive, I just got bored and I thought it would be fun create a version that is a little closer to rules. :)

P.S.
    I think their look was changed in D&D 4.0+ rules. In previous ones they looked more human, more or less like Sirene we already know and love.
     TheArtisan
    @Edvin I take into account the videogame-verse. Haer'Dalis, Neeshka, Valen Shadowbreath are all tieflings that look largely human, or elf in Haer'Dalis's case.

This is also 2e, not 4e. In 4e all tieflings were warped into becoming that... bleh thing after Asmodeus's Ascension to god hood, but before then there were rule books that stated that tieflings could appear entirely human aside from very vague hints.
    LavaDelVortel
    @LavaDelVortel
    @Artemius_I

You're both right.

BUT

Red skin is much more sexy. :p
    That was my main goal.
    (Also, I love pureblood Sith women.)
    Uhm, I think @Artemius_I has no intention of sexualisation his in-game characters just "because"... That would make little sense :) Nothing stops you from using your version locally, though, but as Artemius_I said, there may be some text-image conflicts. If you don't mind that, then that shouldn't be a problem.
    edited November 2016
    @LavaDelVortel Oh, I wouldn't go as far as to say that. IN my writing Sirene can get a little... enthusiastic once she's comfortable with her romance. Let's just say she's very glad she never swore that oath of celibacy ;) I'm more concerned over the issues with showing around edits of some other artist's work myself.

Uhm, I think @Artemius_I has no intention of sexualisation his in-game characters just "because"... That would make little sense :) Nothing stops you from using your version locally, though, but as Artemius_I said, there may be some text-image conflicts. If you don't mind that, then that shouldn't be a problem.

This was just a little fanservice for people who like sexy demons. :)
    @Artemius_I
    Say the word and I will remove my picture.
    As I said, I have no ulterior motives.

I'm more concerned over the issues with showing around edits of some other artist's work myself.

You're worrying too much.
    I am doing these things all the time. B)
    edited November 2016
    Oh, you misunderstood me - I didn't mean Sirene can't feel "enthusiastic". I mean making characters sexy becuase people like sexy AND only because of that seems a bit shallow. Like... you know, not every character in game must be arousing.... It would be a bit like making Aerie fight demons wearing bra only... But nevermind.

EDIT:
    Oh, and I agree - changing someone's picture and uploading it as a part of game mod... well... that's not a great thing to do, in my opinion. So I agree with Artemius. Won't lie I wasn't there, but now I think that's slightly not fair.

It would be a bit like making Aerie fight demons wearing bra only...

I would be willing to pay big money to see something like that.
    I like the way you think... >:)
    Rabuliz
    Somehow I regret shooting the idea. I suppose the we should end here to avoid generating any more offtopic content.
    Edvin
    Uh.... well, thanks for the free bumps anyways, guys. :D
    Edvin