Skip to content

Did Beamdog Start A Trend?

ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
Since the success of the three enhanced editions released by Beamdog, I have started to see more "Enhanced Editions" of other games come out. Titan Quest EE and DIvinity EE are things now and I'm wondering if this may become a more common occurance.
Has anyone else seen Enhanced Remakes of old games hit the market?
[Deleted User]RodrianJuliusBorisovAnduin

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovAnduin
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    JuliusBorisovKilivitzSkatanAnduin
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Magic candle series...drools...
    JuliusBorisov
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Not a trend I'm positive about in general, when you start seeing remastered editions of games made since 2008 I start shaking my head...It's so unnecessary to do that with modern games.

I do have a soft spot for Beamdog though.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited November 2016
    No, Beamdog did not start this trend.

Other gaming companies already have done that before Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was even actively worked on. For example, CD PROJEKT RED had their The Witcher Enhanced Edition Director's Cut published back in 2008. Followed by The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition in 2011. Pre-dating Beamdog by four years.

It is more accurate to say that Beamdog continued this trend like many other gaming companies after them.
    ThacoBellgorgonzola
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232

No, Beamdog did not start this trend.

Other gaming companies already have done that before Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was even actively worked on. For example, CD PROJEKT RED had their The Witcher Enhanced Edition Director's Cut published back in 2008. Followed by The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition in 2011. Pre-dating Beamdog by four years.

It is more accurate to say that Beamdog continued this trend like many other gaming companies after them.

CDP is small-time; Baldur's Gate is a legendary property. Beamdog might have not been the first, but it was certainly one of the leaders in the industry in getting the trend going.

An enhanced PC port of the early Saints Row games would be nice (especially 2, whose port CDP botched).
    Rodrian
    edited November 2016

CDP is small-time; Baldur's Gate is a legendary property. Beamdog might have not been the first, but it was certainly one of the leaders in the industry in getting the trend going.

I'm sorry, but I can't comprehend that train of thought. Disregarding other companies as being "small-time", even though they exceed most game developers out there in size, income and fanbase doesn't make much sense to me.

Of course Beamdog was one of the leaders that contributed to this trend. Just like CD PROJECT RED, Larian Studios and dozen others did. Which I also stated in my previous post.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited November 2016
    Another update of a '90s franchise:

Steel Panthers: WWII
    Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank

The basic game for each of these is available as a free download.
    RodrianJuliusBorisov
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    @Kamigoroshi, I can't get rid of the feeling, that what you've mentioned: The Enhanced Editions  of the Witcher games, are basically the Game of the Year Editions ; the ultimate versions of yet the same game - from the same publisher. .

Beamdog on the other hand, took (bought?) an OLD & long-forgotten  title, then literally enhanced it, reforged some aspects and released as a (not-whole-but still) NEW (and not-so-different-but-still) GAME.

So in my opinion: You can't really compare these two situations together. .
    CDP just extremely patched their own game, didn't they?
    Beamdog brought to us something made from the scratch (BIG word's generalization :sweat_smile:)

Putting this together - wherever I think about hoary old chestnuts :lol: - I think Beamdog first.
    (& sorry if at some point I sound like an arse up there :persevere:)
    terzaerianThacoBellJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2016
    ? CD PROJEKT RED enhanced their own games and published them, that is true. Just like Larian Studios did with their Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition. Whenever the companies that enhanced them also created the originals, or just aquired the licences for enhancing them like Beamdog did, does not matter. There is no difference here in the fact that all of them are "enhanced editions" which deserve being called as such.

ThacoBellRodriangorgonzola
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    edited November 2016
    Actually, it does kinda matter, for me and the OP, if I'm not mistaken. . @ThacoBell?
    We were asking about the older games, turned to a new ones - that are now f.e. playable on a new tech.
    I mean, re-releasing a full game after a year or so, that contains all DLCs out there, is not exactly what we're talking about here, is it? Guys?

There is no difference here in the fact that all of them are "enhanced editions" which deserve being called as such.

The difference is simple, CDP just messed with the titles: :neutral:
    Baldur's Gate --> Enhanced Edition
    The Witcher --> Complete Edition

IF: The Witcher is EE --> Then: BG 2.X is "The Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition". .
    (idk it's just how I see it. .)
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, I am specifically referrring to older games brought out of storage as it were, and upgraded to work on modern machines.
    Rodriangorgonzola
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2016
    Those are fine, but uhm Heroes 3 for example lacks Armageddons Blade and Shadow of Death, because they lost the source code..Ok fair enough nothing to do about that, but I still wouldn't pay for it simply for that reason. I miss out on some campaigns I have really fond memories of for that reason.

The only thing I get in return is functional mp and that doesn't really interest me.
    Rodrian
    @Rodian, I honestly have no idea why you're so hung up in seeing differences here where no really exist. The Witcher Enhanced Edition is by far more than just the original with DLC's "patched" into it. Just like Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is not the original with mods added to it. Thus it is rightfully labeled as an enhanced edition. But that in itself is beside the point, really.

If we're including remakes of older generations that got ported over to more powerful tech then there's also a great variety on the console market. Both Square Enix and Nintendo are widely known as a treasure trove for enhanced games of older generations. Although they are not labeled as "enhanced edition" per say.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    My sweeping statement would be: I hope not, because I for sure hope the ultimate objective was to lay foundation for an original stand-alone gaming title.

I most voluntarily got the enhanced BG titles at my own risk, and am thankful of SoD - but be it BG III or totally original lore - I was at it to to finance a new PC RPG us fans could feel elated about.

To me, it is about the original IP - Titan and Pillars already have it, next up Beamdog I hope. :smile:
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited November 2016
    I'm super excited for Beamdog to drop a new IP. I also really appreciate being able to enjoy old classics that can't run on modern machines all over again as well.
    TStaelJuliusBorisov
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Well, ThacoBell, I like how you view it, even as I see no reason to graphically pimp up my Morrowind! :smiley:

Even as a PC gamer that laments deeply classic PC RPG developers such as BioWare and Bethesda going pretty shamelessly console-first, I still must positively bring up Bethesda Skyrim EE - even as insignifant as it is for PC!

For PC, the 64 bit causing temporary inconvenience for modders - but long term gain, I assume, wish I were a modder but I am not - and, imagine, rain drops falling more realistically were the big things.

I mean: modding was there eminently before, and it did not rain so often in Skyrim.

However, Skyrim EE allowing consoles to catch up with PC frame-rates, and to have an even (controlled I've read) access to mods: those are the major features for EE.

Even as a gamer that will never take on a controller, except for very infrequent Tekken matches at my bro's house - I must respect that as major feature for consoles.

As PC gamer - am I concerned? No. PC gaming is a love, not a fad. But this love is not unconditional - I pre-ordered both Skyrim and Inquisition. Not planning to do so with sequels. If our market is so insignifacnt, let those corporations do without our profit margins.

This said, I hope one day consoles might have modding platforms of their own, not just imports. Assuming export, all gamers would have more content.

I just never saw Infinity Engine EEs as nothing but a vehicle to gather capital to develop something original - objectively I did not really need it, but i wanted to be hopeful and support BG game world. Otherwise logically Planescape should get the same, except original IP was already confirmed for further development in the early KickStarter wave. (Tides of Numenara, namely)
    ThacoBell
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Firaxis redid their Colonization game long before the Baldur's Gate EE series was even conceived, and that was a fairly major title in it's day. So it's hardly a new thing. It's been going on for quite some time now and has been done by numerous studios.

KamigoroshiSkatanThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I think the trend started when dev's realized they could make remakes for new mediums and gain loads of easy cash for a small investment. This was made through remakes for Ipads and the likes. I don't know which games came first (maybe BGEE came before?) but the point is, remakes are a lot cheaper than new development.

Hollywood pre-date any gaming companies though ;)
    KamigoroshigorgonzolaThacoBell
    Belanos said:

Firaxis redid their Colonization game long before the Baldur's Gate EE series was even conceived, and that was a fairly major title in it's day. So it's hardly a new thing. It's been going on for quite some time now and has been done by numerous studios.

Wow, I didn't know this. I played the original for countless hours! I need to find and buy this.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited November 2016
    Skatan said:

Wow, I didn't know this. I played the original for countless hours! I need to find and buy this.

Here you go:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/16810/

It's built on the Civ 4 engine. Another Firaxis remake, or Enhanced Edition, that goes even further back is Pirates! Then there's the Monkey Island games by LucasArts as well, which also predate the Baldur's Gate games. So enhanced editions of games are hardly anything new, and certainly not a trend started by Beamdog.

Post edited by Belanos on
    SkatanKamigoroshi
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    It would be cool to get enhanced editions for old Might & Magic games one day, but I doubt it will happen.
    BelgarathMTHThacoBellVarwulfCrevsDaak
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Let me add that the Anniversary Edition of Titan Quest is really worth it. Bug fixes, new balance tweaks, and better Graphics and it runs on Windows 10 without any problem. If you have never played it or already have the original on Steam and received a free copy, give it a try. :)
    JuliusBorisovThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I'd certainly stump up for an enhanced edition of Master of Magic ...
    JuliusBorisovSkatanCrevsDaak
    edited November 2016
    A few games I would like EE's of:

Masters of magic - Agreed!
    Ascendancy - Epic space age simulation game.
    Masters of Orion - Epic space age simulation game.
    Settlers - The first game.
    Megalomania - Very old evolution/expand game.

Edit:Amiga longplay megalomania - "we've advanced a tech level". Oh man, this brings back great memories!

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Make an enhanced Populous and I'll be happy :)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    One game I would love to see an EE of is Jane's Fleet Command. I loved that game even though the pilot and ship handling AI were horrible and the scenario design was maddening.