Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    Yet another paladin run came to a sticky end fighting Mendas in Candlekeep. :( He was buffed up as well as is possible too. I can't think of any way to improve my chances either. I got trapped by rats so couldn't run to use ranged weapons. Therefore fought melee and he was too powerful. My buffs were Bless, Protection from evil, and oil of speed.
    edited December 2016
    I started another paladin using the same roll as last time. This time I tried to lure Mendas out of the store so that I could use ranged attacks. He couldn't be fooled. He stayed inside the storehouse. :( As he was winning when I used a +1 Long Sword, I tried a dagger. Æthelberht won this time. Whether by luck or good judgement I don't know. He didn't even have proficiency in daggers. It might have been the speed factor that made the difference. Perhaps this time he will not die so quickly.
    Anyway, having escaped Candlekeep alive, this time I will post some images.

Apologies. I forgot to take a screenshot when Mendas died and had to re-enter the store after claiming my reward for killing the rats.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    @aldain You may already know this, but IMO if you are soloing without a thief, it is best to save the violet potion for Candlekeep. The goodies there are far more important. (Two tomes for instance). I hope that you will find Imoen's lock-picking up to the job in your current run.
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 307

@aldain You may already know this, but IMO if you are soloing without a thief, it is best to save the violet potion for Candlekeep. The goodies there are far more important. (Two tomes for instance). I hope that you will find Imoen's lock-picking up to the job in your current run.

I never solo :) We'll be fine. 85 Pick Locks is enough for all but something like 2 locks in all of BG1EE, and we have a small stash of Potions of Master Thievery for when we run into these aberrations (and we can always just memorize Knock otherwise).
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Actually, you can just use a potion of strength (the 23 or 24 ones) and DUHM to open the locks in Candlekeep. That's what I usually do, since I usually forget about the violet potion. :p
  • IncasIncas Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2016
    Grond0 said:

Sorry to hear that @Incas. I agree that contingency can be very slow to activate - I imagine you will have seen many times stoneskins suddenly appearing on dead enemy mages and it's no better for you. For that reason with low-HP characters I would suggest a contingency - helpless instead to give it a better chance of activating in time.

I wonder if it's possible to fix slow contingencies?
    Contingency helpless is not ideal since the helpless state happens often willingly, like conjuring an elemental or Project Image. I guess preparing it every day is an option but it's a lot of hassle.

As for the mephits I agree they are really vicious. The reason GOI doesn't work is that their attacks tend to be coded as natural effects rather than magical ones and thus bypass magical protections (including even scroll of PfM).

The mod readme says the attacks are supernatural abilities not spell like ones. I looked in the books and while in 3e D&D they explicitly have spell-like abilities in 2e they have breath weapons. Breath weapons can only be stopped with 6th level Antimagic-Shell. Unfortunately the spell doesn't exist in BG 2. Might try to just create this spell for playing with aTweaks. Mephits in AD&D 2e are absolutely hardcore for 3hd monsters. Water Jet is better than Power Word: Stun.

Edit: Had a look at IWDEE's Antimagic Shell. Would be possible to adapt it to BG but that means adapting around or over a 100 effects to BG's spells, items and monsters.
    Post edited by Incas on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    If they are 3HD, aren't they supposed to be massacred by Death Spell? That sounds like a good alternative to me.
    CrevsDaak said:

If they are 3HD, aren't they supposed to be massacred by Death Spell? That sounds like a good alternative to me.

That has a casting time of 6. Not a good idea if in sight. But I remembered the Mustard Jelly form from Polymorph Self. That is immune to stun of course. The Troll form from the Sewer Cloak should be too.

Ok, my next run is planned. Hehe.

Anyone finished a noreload run with full aTweaks? I worry about the fiends and undead a little bit.
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341

:# Is there any way of restoring his paladin abilities before BG2? .

No... sorry.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I was playing through Legacy of Bhaal mode with Item Revisions and Spell Revisions installed and I was trying out SCS's improved Ust Natha component which is supposed to be impossible through normal means. The goal of the run was to kill everything in the entire game, to the extent that it is possible, and that included Ust Natha.

I was making great progress, fighting inside the temple itself, and though my druid got chunked by a Comet spell, my sorcerer and my Seducer were in good shape. Problem is, I cast Wish too many times during a Time Stop, and a curious bug prevented the wishes from being granted.

Basically, instead of being cast instantly, each Wish had to be cast at its normal speed--by my sorcerer. This meant my sorcerer was locked into casting a string of slow-casting spells that were supposed to cast instantly--at the exact same time a Balor was trying to dispel my buffs with Remove Magic.

I should have been able to escape it because I had three double-duration Time Stop+Improved Alacrity wishes coming up. But none of them triggered in time, and my sorcerer was left with nothing but Mirror Images and 0 AC to defend himself, in an environment with 20-40 enemies who all had THAC0 well below 10. When the wishes refused to trigger, I had to cancel them and hurry away to cast Moment of Prescience, but despite having a full set of Mirror Images and -20 AC, the enemy managed to kill my sorcerer with critical hits before he could either heal himself with a potion or cast Stoneskin.

Basically, I got robbed of three Time Stop wishes that would have saved me and kept the party on the path to victory. Do you think this warrants a reload?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Did you actually wish for the time stop with the dialogue? Or the dialogue just did not trigger at all? If the former it is a bug, a reload is warranted clearly. If the latter, dialogue trigger may have been skipped in the chaos of the battle if you ran around too much, and it is not even %100 certainty that you were going to get a time stop wish. It is more debatable if a reload is warranted, then.

Ofcourse it is your game and you should do what you decide. I would like to see your run to the completion, though.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @lunar: The dialog showed up and I picked the time stop option, but the spell did not cast properly. All the Wish options work using spells (they all start with SPWISH in Near Infinity). My sorcerer started casting it on his own, but it's supposed to cast instantly.
    Can anyone tell me if it's still possible in BGEE to die of lightnings in bad weather?