Skip to content

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Comments

• cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Skatan said:

I have a question for you smart people, how can someone create this calculation and prove it's correctness?

Is the time dilation per % of lightspeed an approximation or is it proven? It seems.. too perfect that it's exactly 10x to 100%. And what does 10x mean? In the text it seems there are time dilations higher than 10 times the normal earth speed of time.

Unrelative to the thread, but as an FYI - been listening to space ambient music for a couple of days now and been thinking alot about 'space'; the size, our little planet and what it would feel like to ride through the vast, empty space alone on some space ship.

I would just like to point out that on that plot the factor is actually "infinity"x at 100% (it asymptotically approaches infinity at 100%), the thickness of the line makes it look like it stops at 10.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Also, the really cool thing about the time dilation equation shown on that plot, you can derive it using basic trigonometry and the assumption that the speed of light is the same for every observer. This page shows the full derivation.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Looks good but the battles seem a bit exaggerated now. I have to say though that the animations of the mainchar's face looks sub-par. I hope it's just alpha issues.

When she gets to that populated planet, there are all kinds of races already present, including humans? You can see a human as she is walking around a marketplace or whatever it is (around ~1:20).. Also, the new mob leader woman is obviously human as well, so I'm curious what these planets histories are since I had misinterpreted the story as humans leaving for uncharted parts of space where no humans had gone before.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited December 2016
    Looks like the three arcs were populated by Humans, Krogans and Turians respectively. Given the lack of Hanars & Co. I guess each mothership had somewhat different times set for waking up its crew's cryrostasis. Which would explain why some of them already build frontier settlements throughout Andromeda, or the likes.

Personally I find the combat too bright and colourful as well. If each battle is like such a firework, I'd rather avoid it altogether and focus on exploring uninhabited regions of the deep space far away from any kind of station.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2016
    If there are humans already in the Andromeda galaxy, it could be a mystery to unravel. But it could be that there is a time jump at the beginning of the game (with a prologue featuring Ryder Snr as the PC), giving some human settlements time to become established.

A Krogan ark seams unlikely. They are temperamentally (run away from a fight?!), technologically, and reproductively (no genophage cure at time of departure) unsuited to such an endeavour. I would guess the krogans are stowaways. It seems more likely that the four arks represent the council races: Human, Turian, Asari and Salarian. Maybe the Salarian ark is destroyed?

It's pretty clear that the graphics are far from their final state in the build featured.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It's a different galaxy. Shouldn't they be meeting never before seem races only?
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    So many questions but I guess the only way to find out is by playing the game. I'll still be buying this but probably not pre-ordering this time round.
  • 7Vikks7Vikks Member Posts: 14
    Andromeda will be more of the trash that I've come to expect from Bioware, they haven't made a decent game since DAO. The days of KOTOR and Baldur's Gate are gone for them, they hired people like Jennifer Hepler and now they hire the likes of Manveer Heir. I have no intention of purchasing Andromeda.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    7Vikks said:

Andromeda will be more of the trash that I've come to expect from Bioware, they haven't made a decent game since DAO. The days of KOTOR and Baldur's Gate are gone for them, they hired people like Jennifer Hepler and now they hire the likes of Manveer Heir. I have no intention of purchasing Andromeda.

I love every game Jennifer Hepler worked on with them aside from The Old Republic (which I simply haven't played outside of making a character at a friend's house and going through early tutorial stuff one time), and I think Manveer Heir is one of their best hires tbh

I have every intention of purchasing Andromeda, even tho it sucks they don't let you choose a race other than human...again...because the game otherwise looks fantastic! To each their own!
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Somehow this new trailer feels very Star Trek to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Not really impressed by what I'm seeing so far. Being forced to play a human yet again is probably gonna be a dealbreaker for me.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Nice trailer. The world's look nice but rather generic and we've seen it all before. But then again, creating something completely new and unique is quite the challenge nowadays, so I don't mean that as critique really.

All of these trailers still don't mean anything to me until I get the purpose. I haven't read much about the game more than what has been posted here, why we would venture out 600 years from Earth in search of a new home. Shouldn't that be the very first thing a trailer establish, the purpose of this search?
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Skatan said:

Nice trailer. The world's look nice but rather generic and we've seen it all before. But then again, creating something completely new and unique is quite the challenge nowadays, so I don't mean that as critique really.

All of these trailers still don't mean anything to me until I get the purpose. I haven't read much about the game more than what has been posted here, why we would venture out 600 years from Earth in search of a new home. Shouldn't that be the very first thing a trailer establish, the purpose of this search?

The Reapers might kill everyone using the mass relays (which are restricted to one galaxy, and this is a ship going to another galaxy) is the reason given that they've stated the launch of this ship happens around the time of ME2, (aside from the same NASA-esque reason space exploration happens anyway).
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Shandyr said:

The most important thing about the trailers is, don't get hooked by them. They don't show actual gameplay, and mainly they only serve for marketing. They want you to preorder the game without knowing what it's going to be like...

I would say dont buy the game when it comes out. Instead hold back and wait until all DLC has come out.
    You then get to play the full experience at once for a lesser price and less bugs!

Why I like EA access. You get to play new titles for free for like 15 hours before deciding to buy, and I think, you get a 10% discount if you buy at regular price.

Eventually (depending on how well it sells) it will even be offered for free in their vault.

It's a paid service, but worth it IMO.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2017
    I know its been talked a lot on the internet these last few days. But anyone here try the game trial (or whatever you want to call it) through EA access? If so what were your thoughts?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    *checks EA Access*
    *sees the play trial now button*
    *starts installing*
    *sees microtransaction add ons for $130.00* :(

The one thing with EA trials is that they give you 10 hours of game play before relocking the game. When it came to games like Star Wars Battlefront or any of the sports games, it gave you enough time to grasp the game, the concept and controls and determine if you are going to like it.

With an RPG like Mass Effect, the heavy on the cut scenes and the want to experience the story is going to cut into that. Advanced combat, character interactions and types of quests aren't going to be reviewable and those things are what makes a good RPG.

anyway, it's at 1% installed. I guess I'll find out in a day or two.