Skip to content

[MOD] -Might and Guile- a tweak mod and kit pack for warriors and rogues.

Comments

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    edited December 2016
    Post edited by Danacm on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wyakpawyakpa Member Posts: 62
    Sounds like a very good approximation to me, given the nature of this engine.

Except that I can't then PrC into Dragon Disciple and be OP as &%$!.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited December 2016
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    I completely understand that you don't want to edit 140 files, but it's a pity it doesn't work in IWD:EE. It's a much more accessible game to "test" new classes and kits, with its focus on combat.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

Aaaaand apparently all of my fancy new bard songs cause hard crashes on IWDEE. :tired_face: Why wasn't I developing them on that game all along?? It's the lowest common denominator game version! (...that supports opcode 326 and 321, which are necessary.)

EDIT - ah, right, I'm also using opcode 363, the new Shaman 'movement cancels song' effect. Hmm, and it's kind of important... poop.

EDIT2 - Aaaaand, apparently opcode 326 also doesn't work in IWDEE???

Which is get-around-able... but it would involve switching to opcode 177 instead, which means creating 140 new .EFFs (to do what is currently done by 40 .SPLs), and then patch 40 .SPLs to properly refer to those new .EFFs...

EDIT3 - looks like I can get away without the 363 effect. I'm seriously not about to spend another four hours in Near Infinity making 140 fiddly little .EFF files. So may I can get away with just not having demibard kits in IWDEE. (The 326 effects that aren't working are primarily for the benefit of demibards.)

Hmmm... move the Skald back into the Bard class proper, don't rename the Blade kit... it could be okay.

The good news is, most everything works just peachy on the 2.3 engine. And pure bards work fine in IWDEE. So this situation is probably salvageable.

Maybe you should shelve iwdee support until it gets updated to 2.x? Why do all that extra work when a ( presumably scheduled) game update will make it unnecessary?
    edited December 2016
    Grammarsaladronaldo
  • wyakpawyakpa Member Posts: 62
    I am officially pumped.
    Grammarsaladronaldo
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

- The "Dirty Fighting" feat is implemented. It give short swords/daggers a chance to cause a crippling strike (thac0/damage penalties), gives clubs a chance to stun opponents, and gives staffs a chance to trip opponents.

THIS IS AWESOME!
    Grammarsaladineth
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Awesome!

I think it's reasonable to allow them abjuration spells.

Good stuff!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    please don't give bards abjuration, it's one of the most arcane-nerdy, magey schools
    edited December 2016

Awesome!

I think it's reasonable to allow them abjuration spells.

Good stuff!

Seconded. Enchantment, Illusion & Divination aren't THAT useful, especially at higher levels. Either Abjuration or Transmutation. I feel that Abjuration is more apt, though.

BTW, how does the Stronghold work for demibards?

How will the Weapon Proficiency overhaul from SoB interact with the new kits? Will Skalds be able to use twohanded weapons?

Two thumbs up for all the great work!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    transmutation is better because it's associated with magic tricks and entertainment
    Grammarsaladbob_veng
    I think the most important part is them not getting Invocation (barring the sound-stuff) & Necromancy.
    edited December 2016
    A few suggestions, maybe...? Of course, this is just my opinion; do what you wanna do. Just looking at the Complete Bard's Handbook though:
    1. Blade
      • See p. 21 of Complete Bard's Handbook.
      • Almost an assassin theme.
      • Limited selection of Abjuration spells.
      • Is proficient with all bladed weapons.
      • Maximum of 15 Spells slot.
      • Cannot use Scrolls (see "Special Hindrances" on p. 24).
      • Should NOT have any thief skills (for balance's sake).
    2. Jester
      • See p. 36 of CHB.
      • Entertainer, "joker"/"mocker" theme.
      • Limited selection of Illusion spells.
      • Maximum of 20 Spells slot.
    3. True Bard
      • See p. 18 of CHB.
      • "Jack-of-all-trades, master of none" theme.
      • Limited selection of Enchantment & Transmutation spells.

4. Gallant
      • See p. 28 of CBH.
      • Heroic fighter, romantic theme.
      • Should get Fighter feat line.
      • Should only cast spells from wands/scrolls (for balance's sake).
    5. Jongeleur
      • See p. 38 of CBH.
      • Tumbler, circus performer theme.
      • Limited selection of Illusion spells.
      • Cannot use Scrolls (see "Special Hindrances" on p. 41).
    6. Loresinger
      • See p. 41 of CHB.
      • Most "mage-y"/student-like of all bards (least melee-oriented).
      • Limited selection of Abjuration, Enchantment, Illusion, & Transmutation spells.
      • Maximum of 25 Spells slot.
      • Highest lore rating.
      • Should NOT have any thief skills (for balance's sake).
    7. Meistersinger
      • See p. 43 of CHB.
      • Wanderers in nature theme.
      • Has animal companion.
    8. Skalds
      • See p. 48 of CHB.
      • Most fighter-like/barbarian-like theme.
      • Can use Splint Mail.
      • Should get Fighter feat line.
      • Cannot cast Spells or use Scrolls (see "Special Hindrances" on p. 50).
    9. Dirgesinger
      • See p. 43 of 3.5E's Libris Mortis.
      • Centered around concept of "death"/mourning as a theme. Even has a song that functions similar to the spell Animate Dead: "Song of Awakening: At 5th level, a dirgesinger can animate the recently slain corpse of a creature within 30 feet [...]". Obviously, that's balanced for 3.5E, not the Infinity Engine games...
      • Limited selection of Necromancy spells.
      • Should NOT have thief skills (for balance's sake).

I honestly don't have strong opinions on Dwarven Chanter, Halfling Whistler, or Gypsy (the last of which is found on p. 30 of CBH, fyi).

And none of the bard kits should get the ability to Set Traps as HLAs. I also don't think that Bards should get access to a feat line, unless already stated above.

As an aside: your Tumbler kit seems very redundant with Jongeleur. Read the description of Jongeleur, a kit that is very much about jumping, tight rope walks, flipping through the air, etc. (see p. 38 of CBH). Maybe replace with Thespian (see p. 51 of CBH), who are consummate actors?
    Post edited by rapsam2003 on
    wyakpa
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited December 2016
    Error report: Halfling Slinger does not show up for me. I get the option to make a halfling a ranger, but no kit is offered, and none is shown in-game; Nor is the Slinger kit found under Fighter like the readme indicates.

This is a reinstall BGEE with RR, IR, SR, Tweaks Anthology. I've encountered the problem once before but put it down to conflicts from many mods installed in the wrong order. I can upload my weidu log if that helps.
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on

I'm going a different way with the Blade, giving it thief skills instead of spellcasting.

I honestly think this should be the reverse.

Everything else you said makes sense to me. Although, it kind of sucks that there's no opcode to give a certain school to a specific kit. Oh, well...
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited December 2016

Error report: Halfling Slinger does not show up for me. I get the option to make a halfling a ranger, but no kit is offered, and none is shown in-game; Nor is the Slinger kit found under Fighter like the readme indicates.

This is a reinstall BGEE with RR, IR, SR, Tweaks Anthology. I've encountered the problem once before but put it down to conflicts from many mods installed in the wrong order. I can upload my weidu log if that helps.

Further to this, another error report.

When I try to make a a Gnome Kensai, I can select the Kensai kit during character creation, but once at Candlekeep the kit is gone from the character screen and so is the ability to choose a weapon focus. Weidu log attached.

Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
  • Every other race except gnome can take the Kensai kit without any problems. However ...

Error report: my half-orc kensai retains his Choose Weapon Focus special ability even after choosing his weapon. That is to say, the ability button returns every time he rests, though it does nothing except generate pretty sparkles.
  • BlueRaithBlueRaith Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2017
    I'm having trouble with the Feat system component. I'm running a Sniper PC, and I the choose feat ability does nothing when I select it. I'm level 3, so I believe I should be able to choose another called shot at this level, but the only thing it does is make a sound affect. There's no dialogue box to choose a feat. Imoen has also leveled up to 3, and nothing happened when I clicked the choose feat ability on her either. The only other mods I have installed are the Tome and Blood and Scales of Balance mods.

EDIT: I've been playing with the installs and classes a little bit. It seems that this issue is limited to the Sniper. No dialogue box appears when I try to pick feats for this class. I've also tried a Psysher, Swashbuckler, plain Rogue, Elven Archer, and Kensai, all of which seem to be working normally.
    Post edited by BlueRaith on
  • BlueRaithBlueRaith Member Posts: 6

BlueRaith said:

I'm having trouble with the Feat system component. I'm running a Sniper PC, and I the choose feat ability does nothing when I select it. I'm level 3, so I believe I should be able to choose another called shot at this level, but the only thing it does is make a sound affect. There's no dialogue box to choose a feat. Imoen has also leveled up to 3, and nothing happened when I clicked the choose feat ability on her either. The only other mods I have installed are the Tome and Blood and Scales of Balance mods.

EDIT: I've been playing with the installs and classes a little bit. It seems that this issue is limited to the Sniper. No dialogue box appears when I try to pick feats for this class. I've also tried a Psysher, Swashbuckler, plain Rogue, Elven Archer, and Kensai, all of which seem to be working normally.

Yup, there's a typo in the Sniper's installation code. Easily fixable - don't mess with anything or uninstall anything, just install the hotfix mod attached to this post on top of your current game. Should sort it out.
    Thanks for the quick response, but I'm afraid this fix is a bit beyond me. Which option do I choose?