Skip to content

[MOD] -Might and Guile- a tweak mod and kit pack for warriors and rogues.

Comments

• GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I just tried in Chateau Irenicus myself and it's the same bug for me so don't bother with it for now, i'll comeback with more info next time it happens to me (and maybe others if it happens to them).
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    ALIEN said:

@Avenger_teambg Can you confirm that EE engine get rid of such limitations for script actions?

I don't know. Test it. If it still is buggy, report the bug on the public redmine. I know I did fix something, sometime (when someone found it to impede the official content). But i'm not going to state that everything is fixed.
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    I think the 8 character limit for resource references (resrefs) a.k.a. file references in an opcode effect is a consequence of the file format (which specifies that the "resref" field for an effect is 8 bytes, i.e., max 8 characters long) and that isn't something EE can "fix" except by introducing a new file format for creature or item or spell files where the effect resref is allowed to be more than 8 bytes. I don't know if the same 8 byte limit exists for RES actions in scripts, but that's BCS which is a compiled format, so probably a lot easier to support more than 8 bytes/character length there (if it isn't already supported).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    If using less than 8 bytes, whatever editor you use should be putting a null character (byte value 00) in the unused bytes to indicate that the value is shorter. Depending on how you are filling in that value, eg using WeiDU WRITE_ASCII, it should be possible to fill that 8th byte with a nonzero value... But by default, maybe WeiDU is sticking a zero in there ... so worth checking in the file (hex view) to see if you actually filled the 8th byte as you intended.

Not sure why RES actions would be limited though.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    agb1 said:

If using less than 8 bytes, whatever editor you use should be putting a null character (byte value 00) in the unused bytes to indicate that the value is shorter. Depending on how you are filling in that value, eg using WeiDU WRITE_ASCII, it should be possible to fill that 8th byte with a nonzero value... But by default, maybe WeiDU is sticking a zero in there ... so worth checking in the file (hex view) to see if you actually filled the 8th byte as you intended.
    Not sure why RES actions would be limited though.

The engine requires the 8th bit to be null(00) for certain resource fields, that is the issue, as it effectively reduces the potential filename variations from 8 to 7 characters long, since the 8th bit is already decided for every filename that might be used in those circumstances.
    edited December 2016
    I'm afraid it might get unfair and it would feel bad, there aren't many thieves in the game but most of the ones I can think of use backstabs in non backstaby ways and it's always been very annoying. (When the assassins go invisible instantly after backstabbing you while you had your back against a wall...)

Other than the sneak attack part it sounds like a pretty good idea though I don't like rng that much. Do you think there's any chance you would be able to get a "first attack of the round does X" effect to work ? It doesn't sound like anything i've seen before but I don't know.
    edited December 2016
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited December 2016
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

Okay, I think I have a technical framework for this. Several warrior feats (Knockdown, Knockback, maybe Parry and Flurry as well...) will turn into permanent 'stances' instead of temporary abilities.

Stances, as in, toggleable modes? Because that'd be awesome.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited December 2016
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Will Bards still have access to their spells? Or will they be incorporated into the Thief Class and get seriously souped up songs?
    edited December 2016
    edited December 2016
    edited December 2016
    I think it's fine the way it is, it wouldn't be very interesting if the more powerful songs made the less powerful ones obsolete and making the smaller ones less taxing on the caster would be interested.

How do these work with the Bardic Hat in Sod?
    Do the songs scale? That's a very important matter when considering if it's balanced or not. Disabling spellcasting to get a +1 to hit when you can cast lvl 6 spells is totally different from disabling spellcasting for +1 to hit when you can cast 2 lvl 1 spells...
    I definitely would allow spellcasting while using the less powerful songs.

On a side note: when using the new weapon proficiencies from SoB, Bards are no longer able to use spears, halberds & twohanded swords. At least update the readme to reflect this. Personally, I think they should still be able to use (and allocate points to) all weapons & styles: it's part of their appeal.
    The Bless effect & enemy penalties ones aren't, for example.
  • Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94

one of my kits, the Jongleur

The Jongleur is yours? Lemme report a minor issue with the kit. I have a BWS playthrough with Imoen the Jongleur, where our party also has Haiass the wolf and summon spells from Spell Revisions. When Im activates her song, the party blurs, but Haiass and the summons don't.

How do these work with the Bardic Hat in Sod?

I'm going to have to modify it. Maybe some of the Song & Silence items as well. maybe the SoD bard hat can give you access to a *bunch* of bard songs. You only get it for a short time right? Does it transfer over to BG2EE? If so then I'll think of something else.
    The Bard Hat does indeed transfer to BG2EE.

I think it is a good idea to have both type of songs. Minor ones that let you cast and others that scale.

Actually you could probably have "spellcasting enabled" be part of the scaling. I.E a song would do X at lvl 1, become X+Y at lvl 9 and would enable spellcasting at lvl 18. Even higher songs could allow spellcasting at epic levels (30+). It actually sounds sort of balanced to me to say you can spellcast while using a song 9 or 10 levels after "mastering" the song (when you're not going to get a better version of the song anymore).
    edited December 2016
  • Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94

@Lord_Gay I'm not sure that's a bug; the projectile used by the bard song (INAREAPA.PRO) affects "party-only" ... I'm pretty sure vanilla bard songs use the same projectile.

Okay thanks.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    I like the idea of tons of songs. The whole bardic feeling is came from songs. Maybe create song classes eg: minor songs, medium and major, and scales them. The different kit cant give different types of songs, like blade only learn minor songs. And create categories of songs as spheres or schools. Like battle songs, chants, hymns, poem, or just simple disturbing songs(confusion, charm), protective songs(blur, prot evil), counter songs(like silence, miscast, lower resist), insiping songs(bless, duhm). I agree to ban some spell schools from bards, i simple ban necromancy and evocation, because necromancy is special and not bardic, evocation is best for sorcerers and wizards. And bards are famous from charm :)

So minor, medium, major songs with categories will be fine, just 2 songs per category is enough.
    edited December 2016
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited December 2016

Similarly, I'm still toying with sending the Blade over to the thief class. Maybe the Blade and Jongleur could be basically the same, just one in the thief class and one in the bard class.

Well what does the blade do that is so different from what the jongleur, and come to think of it, the swashbuckler, do that really differentiates them from each other in the eyes of others*? They mess around with flashy blades and fancy moves. Some of these fellows cast spells, others just seem to.

* In-game, I mean.
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on