Skip to content

My best roll ever

StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
Wanting to do a complete saga run after being away from the game a while. I decided to go with a fighter/mage multiclass and wanted the roll to be legitimate (so no autoroller). Check out the roll:

That's a LEGIT 96 w/ 91+ strmod - by far the best I've ever managed on non-Pally/non-Ranger. Starting BG2EE his stats will be:

Str: 19
Dx: 20
Cn: 18
Int: 18
Ws: 18
Ch: 11

In BG2EE he will obtain 19 INT (so he can learn every spell) and 19 Wisdom which is perfect to sac a point in the dream and still have 18 for Wish spells. Never in my life have I ever rolled something this good for fighter without cheating. It was an endless sea of 75-80s with an occasional 80-85. Only once did I get an 89, and never a 90+. Out of nowhere, after an hour of rolling I hit this roll and came SO close to clicking reroll. So I am stoked to have a character this good that's LEGIT.
sarevok57Grond0ThacoBellOrlonKronsteenGallowglassBelgarathMTHGrumArctoduslolienCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovHalfOrcBeastmasterNonnahswriterASorroVmonico

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2017
    Ring of Human Influence
    Str: 19
    Cn: 18
    Int: 18
    Ch: 11/18

Good Hell Trials and Lum (-1 Dex and Wis included)

Str: 20 (21 with deck of many things)
    Cn: 19
    Int: 19
    Ws: 19
    Ch: 13/18

Evil Hell Trials and Lum (-1 wis included)

Str: 22 (23 with Deck of Many Things. Blackrazor can push this up to 25 either way)
    Dx: 21
    Cn: 21
    Int: 19
    Ch: 12/18

Yup. He's going to be a boss. If you go evil I strongly recommend killing Hexxat. I killed her in SoA (not Hell trials) and she was still waiting in ToB in the tavern. So there's a good chance you can still do her quest. Plus it makes way for the infinitely more interesting Sarevok.
    Stormvesselsarevok57CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    Thanks Grum!
    GrumJuliusBorisov
  • DairyProductsDairyProducts Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately, the Deck of Many things won't up your strength. It'll give you a point of intelligence no matter how many times you try to get a STR point out of it. It favours spell-casting attributes for whatever reason. Even after learning this on some other website, I still tried it out in my own game because I refused to believe my Fighter/Mage couldn't have just a little more oomph.
    edited January 2017

Unfortunately, the Deck of Many things won't up your strength. It'll give you a point of intelligence no matter how many times you try to get a STR point out of it. It favours spell-casting attributes for whatever reason. Even after learning this on some other website, I still tried it out in my own game because I refused to believe my Fighter/Mage couldn't have just a little more oomph.

Lum's Machine will increase it - that's what I was mainly counting. I might even use some points on NPCs once I have everything I need. For instance, I am not really concerned with increasing strength past 19. I might give that point to Korgan to get him to 19. I'll have 19...I'm good. I can buff up from that point or put pips in warhammer for that 25str weapon (forgot the name).

On a side note, I do regret a little bit not going Fighter/Illusionist. I must admit that they are objectively superior due to the extra spells and shorty bonuses. The reason I didn't was because I'm going to specialize in long swords and bows (Elf) and I want Horrid Wilting. But Fighter/Illusionist was certainly still the way to go and I made the inferior decision.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Sargon1 said:

sarevok57 said:

too many times have I rolled up something awesome and clicked the reroll button ( like getting a 95 for a monk and then I accidently clicked reroll haha) so good job on not pressing the reroll button :)

Protip: When rolling, hold the mouse button instead of immediately releasing it while you take the split second to evaluate the new roll. If you indeed rolled 98 on your protagonist Cavalier, there's a much bigger chance that you will be torn out of your reroll stupor early enough for you to slide the cursor off the "Reroll" button on the screen and keep the coveted roll. I don't know why, but doing it this way works.
    I've tried doing that as well, but then I feel that it starts taking too long so I go back to the fast clicking, although now adays when I make new characters I just EE keeper ability scores, because most of the time I like changing how my sprites look anyway so there's no point in rolling for hours if im just going to EE keeper anyways

CrevsDaak
    edited January 2017
    Yes, rolling in BGEE and BG2EE is easy because you only have to look at the one number. I also play BG TotSC - the original, straight off the disc (no mods/patches). I sometimes enjoy it aesthetically (purism/nostalgic charm).

Here's my Cleric/Ranger that I just rolled:

I'm not worried about the str roll because of the tome (and there's plenty of ways to buff str until then). Yes, I gave him the same name (Finrod is a common elvish name).

It's a 101 and I rolled it legit. But it's still not as good a roll as the 96 on the Fighter/Mage because Rangers are ridiculously easy to roll for.

Here is another one of my characters in BG TotSC - his roll was a 92 - I've already used the con and cha tomes (and he's using the cha cloak):

Jerkk is actually one of my favorites - original or enhanced editions. I will be taking him through the entire saga.

sarevok57ThacoBellLoldrup
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I rolled up some new characters after getting SoD, and the rolls have been very lucky for me since then! 96 point gnome F/I, 99 point Blade, and just now...a 98 point elven fighter/mage/thief! In all honesty, it didn't take me long to land any of those rolls. BTW the gnome got a 96% str and the elf a 73%. Time for a solo run...
    StormvesselLoldrup
    edited January 2017
    Lateralus said:

I rolled up some new characters after getting SoD, and the rolls have been very lucky for me since then! 96 point gnome F/I, 99 point Blade, and just now...a 98 point elven fighter/mage/thief! In all honesty, it didn't take me long to land any of those rolls. BTW the gnome got a 96% str and the elf a 73%. Time for a solo run...

Some classes are just easier to roll and some are not. For instance, Fighter/Illusionists are easier to roll than Fighter/Mages because their mininum roll is I believe 48 (including a minimum 16 for dexterity - a stat you need). FIghter/Mage has a minimum of 42, I believe. Blades are pretty easy as well (52 minimum). F/M/T is hard to roll...44 minimum, I believe. A 98 for a F/M/T is very good.

Paladin is, I believe, the easiest class to roll. Get a load of this (I didn't even keep the character...I ended up deleting it):

After looking at my Paladin, read this dude's post and laugh (a REALLY entertaining thread):

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/75251-baldurs-gate/47935881

For some reason there are people who are really proud of rolling high on Paladins and Rangers - as if it's some sort of accomplishment or something.
    Lateralus
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111

For some reason there are people who are really proud of rolling high on Paladins and Rangers - as if it's some sort of accomplishment or something.

I just had the roll of my life! I got all 18's, including an 18/00 in strength on a single-class halfling thief! The weird thing is that I did it slipping and falling into my keyboard, and the cursor was nowhere near the Reroll button. Totally worth the stitches and physical therapy.

Stormvessel
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

I just had the roll of my life! I got all 18's, including an 18/00 in strength on a single-class halfling thief! The weird thing is that I did it slipping and falling into my keyboard, and the cursor was nowhere near the Reroll button. Totally worth the stitches and physical therapy.

That's not actually a roll at all, that's simply what happened when you accidentally pressed Ctrl-8 with your face.
    sarevok57Stormvessel

That's not actually a roll at all, that's simply what happened when you accidentally pressed Ctrl-8 with your face.
    I think that was the joke.
    sarevok57Gallowglassformer_customer
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111

So, Biffo could have got those scores without my having my jaw reconstructed? :(
    Gallowglass
    edited January 2017
    sarevok57 said:

Sargon1 said:

sarevok57 said:

too many times have I rolled up something awesome and clicked the reroll button ( like getting a 95 for a monk and then I accidently clicked reroll haha) so good job on not pressing the reroll button :)

Protip: When rolling, hold the mouse button instead of immediately releasing it while you take the split second to evaluate the new roll. If you indeed rolled 98 on your protagonist Cavalier, there's a much bigger chance that you will be torn out of your reroll stupor early enough for you to slide the cursor off the "Reroll" button on the screen and keep the coveted roll. I don't know why, but doing it this way works.
    I've tried doing that as well, but then I feel that it starts taking too long so I go back to the fast clicking, although now adays when I make new characters I just EE keeper ability scores, because most of the time I like changing how my sprites look anyway so there's no point in rolling for hours if im just going to EE keeper anyways

Sometimes I catch myself rolling extremely fast in order to "get the bad rolls out of the way", and even though I know that this makes zero sense from a mathematical perspective, for some reason I find myself continuing to do it. And sometimes I also find myself rolling extremely fast just out of frustration (before shutting off the game).
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited January 2017

Check out this one, 99 on a ranger. But what's the kicker? I roll outside the game, then I reroll until I get at or above my target total and make my stats match my pre-roll. I had to dump 7 of those points to match the 92 I already had. Granted 92 is great, but it hurt to have to give up the highest roll I've ever made.
    ThacoBell
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I got 104 on a bard earlier this week.

The game crashed afterwards when I stupidly minimized while still in character creation.

I managed to get 101 recently but I'm still bitter.
    ThacoBellRaduzielConjurerDragonStormvessel
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Those both sound incredibly painful.
    Gallowglass
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    This seems like a good place to ask a very "me being incredibly dumb" question.

How do you get a high number apart from trying to roll a high number?

What is this magic that allows you to just input what you want?
    @UnderstandMouseMagic If you have the console enabled, you can hit CTRL-8 at character creation to get 18's in every stat.
    semiticgoddess
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    ThacoBell said:

@UnderstandMouseMagic If you have the console enabled, you can hit CTRL-8 at character creation to get 18's in every stat.

It is not for nothing that this is known as the "cheat console"!
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

This seems like a good place to ask a very "me being incredibly dumb" question.

How do you get a high number apart from trying to roll a high number?

What is this magic that allows you to just input what you want?

On the PC, I might use ctrl-8 and then take points off to match my target number, but most of my rolls are in the high 70's to mid-80's, so just rerolling a couple of times usually gets the job done. That 99 roll was on my tablet, so I thought I'd have to spend a long time rerolling to get to 92. Instead, I got a 99 on the very first roll.

ThacoBell said:

It is not for nothing that this is known as the "cheat console"!
    I prefer to call it the "bug fix console"
    Arctodussemiticgoddess
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Thankyou All.

Tis evil magics and I want no part of it...or do I...yeah I do...93 it's not so unreasonable is it?
    I've never rolled higher than 92.
    edited January 2017

Lateralus said:

Some classes are just easier to roll and some are not. For instance, Fighter/Illusionists are easier to roll than Fighter/Mages because their mininum roll is I believe 48 (including a minimum 16 for dexterity - a stat you need). FIghter/Mage has a minimum of 42, I believe. Blades are pretty easy as well (52 minimum). F/M/T is hard to roll...44 minimum, I believe. A 98 for a F/M/T is very good.

Paladin is, I believe, the easiest class to roll. Get a load of this (I didn't even keep the character...I ended up deleting it):

After looking at my Paladin, read this dude's post and laugh (a REALLY entertaining thread):

I've been playing this game since back when they didn't even add up your roll total for you, and your 18/00 Pallyy somehow triggered a funny story. Way back when I rolled a 95 point Pally with a 18/00 str, at the time I thought it was a sign from "Torm", because re-rolling was ted-i-us. Left the Keep, recruited Immy, next map, first hit he takes was a crit from a gibberling. DEAD. lol I forgot to wear my helmet!

But yeah Paladins and Bards are easy. in my gazillion years of rolling 99 is the highest I have ever seen. I'm calling BS on the 104 and 101 rolls!
    StormvesselGallowglass
    edited January 2017
    Lateralus said:

Lateralus said:

I've been playing this game since back when they didn't even add up your roll total for you, and your 18/00 Pallyy somehow triggered a funny story. Way back when I rolled a 95 point Pally with a 18/00 str, at the time I thought it was a sign from "Torm", because re-rolling was ted-i-us. Left the Keep, recruited Immy, next map, first hit he takes was a crit from a gibberling. DEAD. lol I forgot to wear my helmet!

But yeah Paladins and Bards are easy. in my gazillion years of rolling 99 is the highest I have ever seen. I'm calling BS on the 104 and 101 rolls!
    Call BS - but that Pally roll is legit. I'm being totally honest when I say that I DID use an autoroller, but I'm also being honest when I say that I didn't leave it on very long at all - I could've easily rolled it myself in such a short amount of time. It was just a freaky, freaky roll.

To put it in perspective, think of how hard it is to roll a 101 - even with a Paladin. Now after finally landing it, you only have a 1 in 100 chance to get 18/00. I could roll every day, 10 rolls a second, and it could still take me months to reproduce it. Autoroller or not - it ain't happening again.

The sad thing is that I deleted the character.

Lateralus said:

Lateralus said:

Call BS - but that Pally roll is legit. I'm being totally honest when I say that I DID use an autoroller, but I'm also being honest when I say that I didn't leave it on very long at all - I could've easily rolled it myself in such a short amount of time. It was just a freaky, freaky roll.

To put it in perspective, think of how hard it is to roll a 101 - even with a Paladin. Now after finally landing it, you only have a 1 in 100 chance to get 18/00. I could roll every day, 10 rolls a second, and it could still take me months to reproduce it. Autoroller or not - it ain't happening again.

The sad thing is that I deleted the character.
    If it is legit, then you can reincarnate that point total. I'm sure there are plenty of mods that can do it or just take the first 18-00 roll that is 90 or better and go get the tome of wisdom over and over again without earning xp and keep exporting and repeating until you build back up to it.
    Stormvessel
    You could also CTRL-8 and reduce the stats down to where they were.