Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• LooxLoox Member Posts: 18
    I am dying a thousand deaths here, awaiting some kind of news. I've never heard of a game in beta stage whose title was still a secret.
  • ErstarrungErstarrung Member Posts: 51
    lefreut said:

Luke93 said:

Two days ago you said that it will be revealed soon......

I think soon does not have the same meaning for game developers (Beamdog, Valve, Blizzard, ...) than to us mere mortals :p
    Ha, when I ordered my CE of Siege of Dragonspear, I got an e-mail from Beamdog stating I would receive my CE soon after the game would be released... Now as I still don't have my CE, I cannot tell you what timefrime Beamdog means with soon, but I can post here immediately after receiving my CE, so we can narrow it down...

My educated guess based on the CE-shipping-experience would be that reveaöing the info soon means roughly March. March 2018, that is.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited February 2017

I suspect we'll see the new project in the spring

Let us hope there will be no delay between the Beamdog/Steam/Gog version and the iOS/Android version, since SoD is still not available....... THIS would be great.......
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Luke93 said:

Let us hope there will be no delay between the Beamdog/Steam/Gog version and the iOS/Android version, since SoD is still not available....... THIS would be great.......
    As the beta-call was for tablet and desktop testers both, I'd expect a simultaneous release for all platforms.

Luke93 said:

As the beta-call was for tablet and desktop testers both, I'd expect a simultaneous release for all platforms.
    The releases could still be staggered. BGEE was developed on Windows, iOS, and OSX together, but the releases were not simultaneous. BGEE was released first on Windows (28-Nov-2012), a week later on iOS (07-Dec-2012), and a couple months after that on OSX (22-Feb-2013). Android and Linux releases came much later.

If the game is ready to go for general release, but they have some platform-specific issues, I would rather they release the game rather than hold up all platforms. For example, IWDEE was held up on iOS due to Apple's review process objecting to the Heart of Winter intro cinematic.
    True, but with the whole SoD situation (no SoD on Android/iOS etc) I don't think they're keen on staggered releases anymore. It's all or nothing I guess. And another thing is, that for SoD there was no beta-test for tablets, while for this next project there is simultaneously beta-testing for desktop and tablet according to Julius' call for testers.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Rumor say that they are skipping BG 3 and goes directly to BG 4.

Baldurs Gate 4 : The continuing of the missing patch.....
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    On a serious matter, im guessing a new expansion will be the release they are talking about.. Couldnt be enough time to make a whole game.... could there ??
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    "All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog project"

Is it IWD 2.X?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Raduziel said:

Is it IWD 2.X?

No, it is a completely new game! (I can sense it.....)
    BG:EE 2.X, BG2:EE 2.X, IWD:EE 2.X will probably follow "shortly" after the release of this new game.....
  • thruddthrudd Member Posts: 96
    It has to be IWD2 EE or PSTEE ...... Really No time to make a whole new game That takes place in another part of the Forgotten Realms since Siege was released.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited February 2017
    If Numenera turns out to be a success, I wouldn't be surprised if there's renewed interest in PsT. So that might actually be good for Beamdog as well.

I thought it was more or less confirmed they were working on a new game using 5th edition rules though..?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited February 2017
    thrudd said:

It has to be IWD2 EE or PSTEE ...... Really No time to make a whole new game That takes place in another part of the Forgotten Realms since Siege was released.

I'm just going to requote myself...

And, yes, there definitely could be enough time to make a whole game.

batoor said:

I thought it was more or less confirmed they were working on a new game using 5th edition rules though..?

Wizards of the Coast won't let Beamdog (or anyone else, frankly) make a new D&D game that is NOT 5th edition. Since WotC controls D&D licenses, you have to play by their rules. The reason SOD was considered an expansion (as opposed to a new game) was because that was the only way to get WotC to agree to using an older edition.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    What about now?
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    What about now?
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2017
    Why am i getting anxious about the fact that it can run on tablets?

I'm thinking low hardware requirements which means... same old IE?

Let's hope not.

I'm secretly wishing for a new D&D game in 5e. And while the visuals don't need to be super HD, i wish we could move on from the IE graphics.

For PST:EE, i like PST a lot, but i wouldn't wish to play it again, no matter how reworked it would be.

Basically, i wish for the company to move finally forward to a new title and engine. I've been waiting for this since 2012.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

You can do Unity games on tablets - see Shadowrun Returns.

(Why the PoE devsdecided to do a game in this isometric style and not let it run on tablets is anybody's guess.)

So, modern engine + 5E + runs on tablets is very much a possibility.

Could be the size of the game resources. PoE weighs in at 14 GB installed (without the White March). AFAIK, the App Store still limits apps to 4 GB. Perhaps Obsidian just thought there was no way to get the game's resources under that size limit (which is apparently part of Beamdog's issues with SoD on tablets).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Which is a shame, because touchscreens are just so much better for this kind of game, that I simply cannot bring myself to use a 4-lb. laptop and its trackpad. Much less plop myself down at a desk to use a mouse. (Actually the desk is gone because somebody appeared all of a sudden and needed a room full of toys :rage: ). Which means I might just never play PoE, or Shadowrun Hong king which is also PC-only. I'd honestly rather play IWDEE or BGEE again - or KOTOR or FF7, which had the good sense to be adapted for iOS - on my tablet, than those new games on the PC.

Sounds like you might enjoy playing PC games via touch screen monitors then. Smaller ones enable a gaming experience similar to tablets, while bigger ones are better at gaming and multitasking. Just a thought.
    Mornmagor said:

Why am i getting anxious about the fact that it can run on tablets?

I'm thinking low hardware requirements which means... same old IE?

Let's hope not.

I'm secretly wishing for a new D&D game in 5e. And while the visuals don't need to be super HD, i wish we could move on from the IE graphics.

For PST:EE, i like PST a lot, but i wouldn't wish to play it again, no matter how reworked it would be.

Basically, i wish for the company to move finally forward to a new title and engine. I've been waiting for this since 2012.

My guess is that this upcoming project is another EE and the new Gaider-based project will be the long-term project being based on 5E and featuring a new engine. In January Gaider tweeted that he was once again revising the narrative document based on feedback from Chris Avellone. That means that the project that is beta tested at the moment most likely isn't a new 5E Gaider product.