Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm in the middle of a BG1 run and the endgame is approaching. Since it's a minimal-reload game, does anyone here have any advice for the doppelganger fight in the palace?

I understand that the game is over if Belt dies, and I'm not sure how to prevent that. Based on my foggy memory of previous posts on the matter, I'm guessing I could have my cleric or druid drink a Potion of Freedom and have one of them cast Free Action on Belt while my mages cast Web spells. Would casting Invisibility on Belt be any help at all?
    JuliusBorisov
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited February 2017
    Björn and party were able to finish the SoD Prologue with no problems whatsoever. :) He is still missing Khalid in the party. I don't know whether he can join up with Björn later. I hope so. Safana has been flirting with Björn. :)

EDIT

I have come to realise that my party composition was not optimal. It would have been better to have had a pure cleric in the party, firstly because although Khalid is a Cleric/Ranger in my set-up, he isn't with the party yet and might not be available anyway. Also a pure cleric would have those all-important spells like resurrection and true sight. Gavin or Viconia would have been better choices. In my possession are 3 amulets that change a character to true neutral, so having Viconia in the party would have been OK from a role playing viewpoint, and also as someone with the dialogue to make life interesting whilst Gavin would have been the more natural choice.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Mantis37CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited February 2017
    Neverused said:

While casting Invisibility on Belt doesn't help, casting on Liia if you can get in range of her helps; she doesn't attack, at least with the A.I. my game doesn't.

In current BGEE Liia does attack, so invisibility on her is a waste.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    First one to organize the many methods of saving the dukes of Baldur's Gate in the form of the related Paul Simon song, gets a limited edition Ring of Prismatic Sphere:

CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
    "....
    Just summon a mate, Pate
    Shoot to dispel, Kel
    Use malison, Alison
    While web can make you free ...."

Heh heh. Love it, @Grond0
    Thank you!

(Newb question: I always thought web makes neutral NPCs hostile and never tried it in the middle of a crowd. Can you safely use it in the Palace fight?)

Meanwhile, here is the promised reward (more to come for other contributors):

*** Ring of Limited Prismatic Sphere ***
    Every round in combat. a random enemy within 20' of the wearer must save vs spells or be randomly subjected to the effect of the Prismatic Sphere spell (i.e., teleported, poisoned, etc.).

(Rumors talk of a more powerful version of this ring, if it is combined with a Gem of Seeing corrupted with a tanar'ri heart.)

CrevsDaakGrond0JuliusBorisovMantis37
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Grond0 said:

Ygramul said:

(Newb question: I always thought web makes neutral NPCs hostile and never tried it in the middle of a crowd. Can you safely use it in the Palace fight?)

Web doesn't turn neutral stacks hostile - that makes it a nice option to use on potential enemies (only attacking them once they're held). It's safe to use in the palace, although it may cause a glitch if you cast it before the dopplegangers transform.
    Sleep can also cause a glitch if it is cast too soon.
    StummvonBordwehr

Sleep can also cause a glitch if it is cast too soon.

Is Sleep even affective on anyone in the throne room?
    CrevsDaak
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    In EE, don't think so as far as the dopplegangers go.
    Ygramul
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Mantis37 said:

The only hitch here was a Demon Knight using Power Word Kill on Whitworth, but his saves are now 1s or less so this probably wasn't as blood freezing a moment as it seemed.

Do you have a mod affecting that spell? If not, then there is no save to it - if the target has less than 60 current HPs they die, otherwise there's no effect.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Sorry, Spell Revisions has it so 60-100hp requires an unmodified save.
    CrevsDaaksemiticgoddessJuliusBorisov