Skip to content

End Game Decision - What's your choice? (Massive spoilers)

Comments

• Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
    Hahaha! I think that's the issue most people are having with this: They think they can simply reload with the god choice and that destiny will be on their side as it was throughout the series.

Reload is only good as long as you have prophecy on your side!
    Irennan
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

But there's one power Lolth doesn't have: powerword reload.

I hereby nominate this as Comment of the Year.
    CrevsDaak
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Does the "God of Murder" have to be about the murderers rather than the murdered?

With the sheer amount of killing going on, I would have thought there's a gap in the market for a god who avenges unlawful deaths as well as one who might give you some protection from being murdered.
    In Athkatla alone, that God would have quite a few followers.
    I'd sign up.
    Even today in RL, murder is the thing that scares a lot of people.

Rohen
  • IrennanIrennan Member Posts: 54
    edited February 2017

Does the "God of Murder" have to be about the murderers rather than the murdered?

With the sheer amount of killing going on, I would have thought there's a gap in the market for a god who avenges unlawful deaths as well as one who might give you some protection from being murdered.
    In Athkatla alone, that God would have quite a few followers.
    I'd sign up.
    Even today in RL, murder is the thing that scares a lot of people.

Yes, it does. The murdered would fall under the portfolio of the dead, which is held by Kelemvor.

That said, since after the Second Sundering the portfolio of murder has been split from that of death and given back to Bhaal, while death and decay have returned to Myrkul, I wouldn't totally rule that possibility out (although it'd require Ao's intervention, since the above-mentioned redistribution of portfolios was his decision when he rewrote the Tablets of Fate).

Post edited by Irennan on
    OrlonKronsteen
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    tbone1 said:

Aw, shucks. Thanks @tbone1
    CrevsDaak

tbone1 said:

Aw, shucks. Thanks @tbone1
    Well-earned, my friend. It made me laugh out loud while waiting for blood work, and I have a near-phobia of needles

CrevsDaak
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited March 2017

That would typically fall under the realm of Hoar, god of retribution.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Ni dieu ni maître!
    CrevsDaakWandering_RangerprofanitywarningArctodus
  • jscohenjscohen Member Posts: 117
    I don't think it's giving away too much of my privacy if I say that freedom is the most important thing to me. I'd like to be able to roleplay otherwise, but I can't. I've tried.

I think choosing freedom can make sense for both good and evil characters. If you become the new Lord of Murder, you may have more power to indulge your evil tendencies, but the threats and opponents will also be commensurate with your new station. I can imagine there would be evil people who figure they'd rather face paladins of Tyr than Tyr himself.

And the entire Bhaalspawn saga proves that just as a man can become a god, a god can become dust. You're not even necessarily guaranteed permanent immortality by taking the power.
    GenderNihilismGirdleOrlonKronsteenNightingaleBelgarathMTH
    edited March 2017
    jscohen said:

I don't think it's giving away too much of my privacy if I say that freedom is the most important thing to me. I'd like to be able to roleplay otherwise, but I can't. I've tried.

I think choosing freedom can make sense for both good and evil characters. If you become the new Lord of Murder, you may have more power to indulge your evil tendencies, but the threats and opponents will also be commensurate with your new station. I can imagine there would be evil people who figure they'd rather face paladins of Tyr than Tyr himself.

And the entire Bhaalspawn saga proves that just as a man can become a god, a god can become dust. You're not even necessarily guaranteed permanent immortality by taking the power.

If you mind your own business and take care of your people, rather than meddling in power games, you're pretty likely to gain absolute immortality, tho. Most of divine "deaths" were because they exposed themselves to huge risks. Even then, a god is never actually dead in the Realms, as they usually leave a part of their essence hidden (or many parts), ready to allow them to make their comeback in case things go wrong. In fact, as of recent, *a lot* of supposedly dead gods either turned out to be actually alive and hiding to recover, or managed to return to life in a big event called "the Second Sundering" (about 150-ish years later than BG)--Bhaal included. Elminster himself says that it only makes sense that beings who can bring people back to life can also return from this so called "death".

That said, I too agree with the choice of freedom.
    GenderNihilismGirdlejscohenOrlonKronsteenNightingale
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    "Oh, this thread made me realise that I haven't finished the entire Trilogy since before BG2:EE was launched I think."

I never actually completed BG1 until a BG1EE playthrough after BG2EE was released.

Anyways, on topic.

For me, as the PLAYER, I choose mortality.

Eternity is a cruel mistress, particularly given the eternal struggle against demons within and without. Yes, there are great and awesome things to see as a god, but the reality is that, like reality, it's long stretches of boredom interspersed with some action.
    Nightingale
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    By the time you complete the game the Bhaalspawn is infamous and extremely high level, the chances of having a quiet mortal existence are pretty low if you pick that choice. Something or someone else will take over the God of Murder if you reject it, i mean sure i can understand why a Good character would refuse, but even they may be tempted to take on the role knowing that it will be filled no matter what.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    They may take our godhood, but they will never take our FREEDOM!
    ThacoBellGenderNihilismGirdleWandering_RangerNightingale
  • magaritymagarity Member Posts: 51
    Kurumi said:

I really could imagine a neutral char becomming the god of murder who (like Kelemvor [later] for his domain) would see the portfolio more or less as some kind of neccessary/natural part of the realms and who strives to keep the balance of things (it would still be very hard - much harder than to deal with the death domain).. BUT.. I really doubt, that a good char could ever claim (or better said "maintain") that portfolio.. murder is an evil act no matter why you did it and you simply couldn't do enough good to balance that out and keep a "good" alignment.

I agree; the faceless men in Song of Ice and Fire is clearly, and plausibly, follow a quite impartial and neutral god of murder. And since someone has to do the job, might as well be me.
    Kurumi
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    Godhood Ofc , not only is it Canon but also....Bloody Godhood mate !
    OrlonKronsteen

I'm not sure it's canon, since in canon the last Bhaalspawn dies, and Bhaal comes back. The BG games kinda went nowhere in the official Realms, sadly.
    ThacoBellRelSundan
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The choice has always been a total no-brainer to me. I'm *not* becoming the god of murder. Puh-leeze. Not even tempted. Eeeeee-viiiil! My whole existence is dedicated to opposing it.
    RelSundanNightingale
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    There's not enough evil in this thread. Time to start a campaign!

OrlonKronsteenBelgarathMTHRelSundanNightingale
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Since it asks 'If it were me', gotta go with godhood. I watched alota Doctor Who when I was younger, then all the Highlander series in the 90's not to (And getting older is a bugger sometimes). As far as the game , I figure send enough dreams to those that worship, instruct the priests to invent new written material to hand out some new tracts. Things could change and not have to go the way of a new Bhaal.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I've just finished a run and chose Godhood.
    The Solar agrees to stand by me and help and says how proud she would be to do so.
    Then the epilog talks about me becoming a force for good in the realms and people "worshipping" me because I am just so wonderful.

Mind you, I don't know why. Most of the party were evil, I was true neutral and killed quite a few inconsequentials over the saga to keep them happy and my rep at the end was about 12. Did get changed to "neutral good" though.

Ridiculously high charisma though, perhaps I was just wonderful?
    That's what I am sticking with, obviously I was wonderful God material all along just took a while (and a few billion deaths) for everybody to realise.
    gorgonzolaIsewein
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    Irennan said:

I'm not sure it's canon, since in canon the last Bhaalspawn dies, and Bhaal comes back. The BG games kinda went nowhere in the official Realms, sadly.
    Never mind i thought Kelemvor was the Baal Spawn....my bad...

boy it helps to read up on stuff and not pierce it together yourself :o
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384

• NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited March 2017
    Freedom, of course. Because then, as an epic level-whatever so powerful that even the likes of Elminster would really rather avoid me, I'm free to look into other ways to achieve whatever I want.

Seriously, who the hell wants to be a god in the Forgotten Realms? Has anyone actually tried to keep track of the FR gods and all the crazy things that happen to them? It's all basically just one big responsibility and endless drama/politics. No thanks.

Canon is not clear about what happens to the Bhaalspawn in-game (ie, your PC). It is possible he/she is not the same Bhaalspawn who gets killed in canon, because of the whole parallel universes thing (which is why Minsc from the BG series is suddenly canon, and Abdel Adrian from the novels is now just from an alternate reality).
    It is likely your PC is still in his home reality, possibly with the good/neutral-aligned PCs wondering where their Minsc went.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    Every time I see this thread I think of Jeremy Clarkson

Wandering_Ranger
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    I'm claiming my birthright B)
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    My bad CHARNAMEs usually claim their birthright, while good ones reject it. There was an assassin, however, who decided to be mortal, because it's easier to gather power without being restraint by all that drama with Forgotten Realms deities.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Artona said:

My bad CHARNAMEs usually claim their birthright, while good ones reject it. There was an assassin, however, who decided to be mortal, because it's easier to gather power without being restraint by all that drama with Forgotten Realms deities.

I think any assassin should be automatically ascended on general principles/theme.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    My assassin is special snowflake. ;)
    ThacoBellNightingaletbone1