Skip to content

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition FAQ

Comments

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited March 2017
    Hadar said:

1. Warrior, Mage, Thief

But what about this: We’re currently looking for adventurers, warriors, rogues, wizards, druids, clerics, rangers, monks and shamans who are interested in testing of our next game.
    He was referring to another game? IWD2:EE maybe?
  • HadarHadar Member Posts: 171
    @Luke93

Perhaps IWD2? Or maybe BG3?
    Teflon
    @Doubledimas So Julius said that on purpose..... Interesting.......
    Or maybe IWD2:EE is coming as well :) .......
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707

Portraits.

We didn't have access to the source art for the original animated portraits and movies.

Without the source art, the only way to update the EE versions would be to re-create the movies and portraits from scratch and we felt that doing that would alter the feel of the original game too much.

You could have upscaled each frame of the existing portraits using a high-quality upscaling algorithm (like what Photoshop uses), and then re-added those upscaled versions to the game's data files. Instead of upscaling them dynamically in the UI using Nearest Neighbor or Linear scaling like you seem to be doing now.

Based on the screenshots I've seen so far, the portraits really look quite bad with Linear upscaling, because it's very noticeable how blurry they are compared to the surrounding UI.
    With Nearest Neighbor, like in this screenshot, they're pixelated instead of blurry – which somehow doesn't bother me nearly as much, so I guess that's the setting I'll use.
    Still, they could have been better with high-quality pre-rendered upscaling.
    SmilingSword
  • GalahardGalahard Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2017
    1. Question on Cloud saves, in the faq you say:

Cloud saves (Steam-only)

Steam players can use the same save games on different desktops

What about GOG?

As of GOG Galaxy client 1.2, to come out next month, the GOG version of the original Planescape: Torment will support cloud saves: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/this_game_now_supports_gog_galaxy_cloud_saves_225fe

What about PST:EE?

(Btw, with BG:EE, cloud saves work across all platforms seemlessly, GOG, Steam and Beamdog, would be great to have the same for PST:EE).

I'm asking this, because I have a 30% off coupon from GOG for PST:EE (Limited time, until 4th April), and although I will get a free copy of PST:EE with the purchase of the collector's edition of SoD, if cloud saves are only available on Steam and GOG (but not Beamdog), I will probably buy the GOG version too, just to have it cross platform.

2. Question on Steam keys: with the order of collector's edition of SoD, I will get PST:EE for free on the Beamdog platform, however I want to use the cloud save option, as I will be traveling.
    Is the Beamdog version going to come with an option to get a Steam key (GOG key would be much better, but it was not possible with SoD), just the same as with SoD?

Thanks.
    Post edited by Galahard on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    cmk24 said:

Stoibs said:

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious or if it's mentioned somewhere on the store page that I'm overlooking, but what version does pre-ordering and purchasing it *here* give us?

Steam? Gog? Android? IOS? All of the above?

EDIT: So, according to smeagolheart's link, we can get a steam copy here if we manually request one. I suppose the 'default' version we get is just a DRM-free download or something then? Store page could do with some clarification still.

If you pre-order through Beamdog you get a forum badge, a DRM-free version of the game, and you can request a Steam key. (The forum badge is the only unique thing for a Beamdog pre-order.)
    You can buy PST:EE for PC:
    From Beamdog
    On Steam
    On GoG.com

Tablet versions are sold separately on their markets.

When you buy from Beamdog, you can download the game with the new Beamdog Client. It requires you to log in only once so that the Client undestood it's you.

If you pre-order from Beamdog you get a forum badge and an option to ask for the Steam key. You also use our badass Client and get gratitude from the whole Beamdog team.
    taclanerede9
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Galahard said:

1. Question on Cloud saves, in the faq you say:

Cloud saves (Steam-only)

Steam players can use the same save games on different desktops

What about GOG?

As of GOG Galaxy client 1.2, to come out next month, the GOG version of the original Planescape: Torment will support cloud saves: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/this_game_now_supports_gog_galaxy_cloud_saves_225fe

What about PST:EE?

(Btw, with BG:EE, cloud saves work across all platforms seemlessly, GOG, Steam and Beamdog, would be great to have the same for PST:EE).

I'm asking this, because I have a 30% off coupon from GOG for PST:EE (Limited time, until 4th April), and although I will get a free copy of PST:EE with the purchase of the collector's edition of SoD, if cloud saves are only available on Steam and GOG (but not Beamdog), I will probably buy the GOG version too, just to have it cross platform.

2. Question on Steam keys: with the order of collector's edition of SoD, I will get PST:EE for free on the Beamdog platform, however I want to use the cloud save option, as I will be traveling.
    Is the Beamdog version going to come with an option to get a Steam key (GOG key would be much better, but it was not possible with SoD), just the same as with SoD?

Thanks.

We're checking about achievements on GoG.com.

Our Client doesn't support Cloud saves.

If you acquire PST:EE from Beamdog, you can ask for the Steam key as written on the official site.
    Teflon
    Glurak said:

My Question here is.

Were you able to Reimplement the EAX Sound Effects ? Its the only thing you cant Emulate on new Systems. (alchemy wont work)

I would be happy when you can do it in the modern sound way :-)

EAX is considered deprecated as a developer interface (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_Audio_Extensions#Future_development), PST:EE doesn't support it. We do support OpenAL.
    Teflon
  • GalahardGalahard Member Posts: 8

We're checking about achievements on GoG.com.

Thanks for check achievements for Gog.com.
    Can you also check cloud saves? :)

Our Client doesn't support Cloud saves.

Hm, interesting, I can launch BG:EE from the Beamdog client and find my latest save files from Steam, when loading a game.
    Did I incidentally hack it? :)

If you acquire PST:EE from Beamdog, you can ask for the Steam key as written on the official site.

That's great to hear!
    However, I could not find it on the official site (https://www.beamdog.com/products/planescape-torment-enhanced-edition), can you point it out, where it says that?
    If I missed it, others might have too.
    Thanks.
    Check the Frequently Asked Questions section on http://planescape.com/.

Your save files were found because they're on you PC as files (Steam make a backup of them as Cloud saves if you enable the game's option). It's just that the Beamdog Client doesn't create its own Cloud saves.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    ineth said:

With Nearest Neighbor, like in this screenshot, they're pixelated instead of blurry – which somehow doesn't bother me nearly as much, so I guess that's the setting I'll use.

I did redmine a feature request to bring back the original Catmull-Rom Bicubic upscaling algo that shipped with BG:EE in 2012—and the feature request was moved to Beamdog's internal tracker so it's definitely being looked at. If they bring it back, as I dearly hope because it was marvelous, it will likely come to PST:EE too since all EE games share the same engine.
    ineth
  • MIK0MIK0 Member Posts: 7

ineth said:

I did redmine a feature request to bring back the original Catmull-Rom Bicubic upscaling algo that shipped with BG:EE in 2012—and the feature request was moved to Beamdog's internal tracker so it's definitely being looked at. If they bring it back, as I dearly hope because it was marvelous, it will likely come to PST:EE too since all EE games share the same engine.
    Nice.
    Still I think that won't work for movies. I would rather have some filters or scanlines for them.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Everything about this remake is right. Every question and fear I had was adequately addressed in the FAQ. I eagerly look forward to it.

One can only wish the same level of respect for the source material had been employed in the Baldur's Gate remakes.
    AndreaColomboTeflon
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2017

Uh, that got dropped at some point? Why? I fondly remember our discussions in beta of BG:EE and what we ended up with at release was quite good.

AndreaColombo
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    And *poof!* There is a new forum and an announcement for the next enhanced IE game. Very exciting!
    JuliusBorisovtaclaneTeflon
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Luke93 said:

• No kits/classes/races/spells/items from BG2 or IWD
    I've never played the original game, so:
    1. What classes/races are available for the protagonist?
    2. Are the game mechanics based on the AD&D 2nd edition rules?
    The class system for the main character is different from any of the other games. You start as a fighter and can switch to thief and mage as you go through the game. It's sort of like dual classing, but you can switch back and forth. The companions are all regular classes like in BG.
    _Luke_JuliusBorisov
  • VermisLuctusVermisLuctus Member Posts: 3
    what about spanish translation ??

what about spanish translation ??

It's difficult to answer at this time. Translations and ways to implement them are what we're looking at.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Luke93 said:

• No kits/classes/races/spells/items from BG2 or IWD
    I've never played the original game, so:
    1. What classes/races are available for the protagonist?
    2. Are the game mechanics based on the AD&D 2nd edition rules?
    Unlike other IE games, you don't create the protagonist from scratch. You have some latitude to determine his starting stats, but you don't pick his race, (starting) class, appearance, etc.. The protagonist is human. As others have mentioned, he starts as a fighter, but can later change to mage and/or thief (and change back to fighter, if you choose).

The ruleset is based on AD&D 2e, like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale. But it is highly "house-ruled" to fit the game.
    Teflon_Luke_JuliusBorisov
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244

No kits/classes/races/spells/items from BG2 or IWD

And what about some new ORIGINAL kits/classes/races/spells/items?
    (But we all know that I'm talking mainly about spells and items ;) )
    @AstroBryGuy, @BillyYank Thanks for the info
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    So excited to be able to finally play this but yeah some good togglable 2D portraits would of been really nice. 90s' 3D art is something that should forever be forgotten.
    smeagolheart
    Edvin said:

No kits/classes/races/spells/items from BG2 or IWD

And what about some new ORIGINAL kits/classes/races/spells/items?
    (But we all know that I'm talking mainly about spells and items ;) )
    There are no new kits, classes, spells and items in PST:EE if compared to original PST.
    taclaneAndreaColomboEdvin_Luke_
    Folks, we have updated our FAQ - https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq.

Now it contains the following information:

When does the game come out?

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition will be released on April 11th at 2 PM PDT.

What platforms can I play on?

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition is available on Windows, macOS, Linux, and is available for the first time ever on iOS and Android.

If I buy on Beamdog.com will I get a Steam key?

Yes. After the release of the game you can contact support@beamdog.com to request a Steam key.

Also, these are completely new questions:

What are those black outlines around the character sprites? Can I turn those off?

This is an optional setting that makes characters stand out slightly from the background. You can turn it off at any time from the Options menu.

Why do the area backgrounds and character sprites look blurred/pixelated?

This depends entirely on the settings that you choose. Area backgrounds and character sprites look best (pixel perfect) at the default zoom level when Gameworld Scaling is turned on. If you zoom in or out they either become blurred or pixelated depending on whether Linear Scaling is turned on or off. You can adjust both settings from the Options menu at any time.

https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq#18
    https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq#19
    lolienTeflon
  • HextorioHextorio Member Posts: 8
    When are you going to deliver those Steam keys for folks that have preorderd the game on your site?
    Hextorio said:

When are you going to deliver those Steam keys for folks that have preorderd the game on your site?

After the release of the game you can contact support@beamdog.com to request a Steam key.
    lolien