Skip to content

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition announced, pre-orders available. Pre-loads started!

Comments

• lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Never tried this game before... O_o
  • Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
    I read this news and my heart seized in my chest for a brief moment...

... Then I read that no new content was being added, and I could breathe freely again.

While I appreciate the fact that the Enhanced editions have brought about a renaissance of these wondrous games, I have *never* appreciated the fact that Beamdog have used Baldur's Gate as their own personal playground (especially mauling classic characters like Safana in SoD - a completely unforgivable crime against long-term fans and the series as a whole). Reading some of the comments on the YouTube video, I can see I am not alone with such a reaction.

These games were much loved for a reason - they were as close to role-playing perfection as it is possible to get. Enhancing games I have no issue with - and Beamdog have proven experts at this. They have added great and useful features, making gameplay smoother and better. The multiplayer isn't great, but it's much better than the originals, and can be played through. Beamdog should be congratulated on their hard work on these fronts. It is truly a job well done.

However, fiddling with content that is not yours to fiddle with I take extreme issues with - and Beamdog has proven rather inept at both writing and character-building. Only one NPC stands out from Beamdog, and they did a fantastic job with him - the Gnome from SoD (Glint). Great character. And I think he was great because he was so light-hearted and a comedic character. Beamdog aren't very good on the heavier stuff, I've realised. That takes the genius of Black Isle to do well.

So, the rest of it - especially giving beloved characters like Safana a "makeover" (and actually having the gall, without a single blush of shame, to say it is a "way better personality upgrade") in the process - hell no. The original Baldur's Gate games were of course much more progressive in their writing and demonstrated social and political issues throughout the game perfectly. They were true masters of the craft, subtly weaving in quests and sub-quests that you could tie in with real world issues, and actually making you think about them rather than saying "this is the way you need to think" (Beamdog's heavy-handed style). Black Isle was Socrates to Beamdog's Stalin. It showed you right and wrong through enabling you to experience consequences of poor choices for yourself, not via finger-wagging moralising and name-calling.

Thankfully, Planescape will be spared that kind of treatment and simply be enhanced by the looks of things, and a huge sigh of relief follows. It will take some time for this feeling of reactive nausea that instantly hit me when I read the news to fade, but as long as this classic is untouched in any way, things will be okay.

This poster from the comments section on YouTube sums it up rather perfectly "Interested but any changes whatsoever to dialogue for social/political reasons and into the trash it goes."
    [Deleted User]HeavylineAndreaColombo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CrevsDaak
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Glad to hear about it, great news :smiley:
    JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Son_of_ImoenJuliusBorisov
  • EnilwynEnilwyn Member Posts: 140
    edited March 2017

Enilwyn said:

Why not create a Deluxe Edition or something that includes both, the game and the soundtrack for those that want?

You can purchase both for $29.98! Two cents off the $30 version.

Kids these days...

I know I can purchase both. The question was to get both together for a better price. and maybe more goodies but that's ok, I understand that sometimes people needs more explanation and details :-)

If I explain the joke it ceases to be a joke :-)

EDIT: Crap, it's gone... :-(
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • cameosiscameosis Member Posts: 28

I'm not as excited as many others here. I've never actually finished the game, got as far as what I think is the final zone. While it's a great game, it just isn't Baldur's Gate.

i absolutely agree -- it's much better than baldur's gate, which was a really good, but ultimately run-of-the-mill rpg.

another interesting aspect to me is that so many have mentioned how they never finished playing the game -- of all the infinity engine rpgs, planescape: torment was the only one i completed, basically in a binge session, no less.

i hope the mod options will allow easy mixing with the other games' elements, and also additions of community developed npcs and quests.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I already preordered. Sadly, I preordered from GOG because they gave me a $6 discount for already owning PST.

I look forward to playing this.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D
    JuliusBorisov
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Great¡
    JuliusBorisov
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

Ask for tips when you start again! :) Planescape has an unconventional setting and a different system for changing classes and such. You have to find a spot to rest early on because you're attacked by thugs in most parts of the city.

One thing I would very much like to know to motivate me: Does party's equipment progress past the pieces of junk-stage when you continue The Nameless One's adventure?
    JuliusBorisov
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208

Ask for tips when you start again! :) Planescape has an unconventional setting and a different system for changing classes and such. You have to find a spot to rest early on because you're attacked by thugs in most parts of the city.

One thing I would very much like to know to motivate me: Does party's equipment progress past the pieces of junk-stage when you continue The Nameless One's adventure?
    Yes. There are low-level magical items in the Hive and better equipment as you move along.
    JuliusBorisovSon_of_Imoen
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I see you started giving out pre-order badges >.>
    I don't supposse the SOD colloctor's edition buyers and the beta testers are gonna get these too without buying and additional copy of the game <.<
    edited March 2017
    Buttercheeselolien
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    A very nice badge, I must say. I was expecting Morte or The Nameless One but the Lady of Pain was actually cool :)
    JuliusBorisovsparkleav
    edited March 2017
    JuliusBorisovmlnevesekaguanaGreenWarlock
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Shandyr said:

So there will be another special badge for preordering the soundtrack or did I misunderstand?

Yes, this is news. There will be a new badge for preordering the soundtrack.

The Loading badge is a wild surge :)
    [Deleted User]Montresor_SPlolienNonnahswriter
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Those who pre-ordered (please, note, that only those who pre-ordered, not bought SoD CE after they returned to sale) SoD CEs get PST:EE for free, not the soundtrack.

If these people pre-order the sountrack, they will get the appropriate badge for pre-ordering OST.
    Buttercheese[Deleted User]taclaneNonnahswriter
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    So... to recap there is:

PST:EE Badge for pre-orders, and those who pre-ordered SoD CE
    PST:EE Soundtrack pre-order Badge

And potentially something extra for the beta testers?

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads. Badges for everyone!

[... I believe that's how the quote went ...]
    ButtercheeseJuliusBorisovlolien
    taclanesparkleav
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    Shandyr said:

Don't tell me only 4 people have preordered the OST so far?

Well, it is at least 5 now! :smiley:
    I couldn't resist your wise words and just pushed some internet buttons to get my OST pre-order in.

[ Also, the psychedelic Lady of Pain badge is pretty awesome. Do it for the merch. Do it for the Forum Badges! ]
    [Deleted User]sparkleavlolien
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Is there any difference between the PSTEE soundtrack and the PST soundtrack?
    Buttercheese