Skip to content

How did you discover the original Ps: Torment?

DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
Hello cutters!

The year was 1999 , I was 11 and I remember reading an article on a rpg magazine about Torment. It gave a brief definition of the Ps setting and the Torment story, focusing on the fact that the protagonist can't die (actually, can't stay dead for long) , and explained how different it was from Baldur's Gate, specially the fact that you couldn't choose a class but you could find someone to teach you a new one. Finally, it reinforced the fact that all npc's had lots of interesting things to say (not just rumours and gossip as in BG) and you could actually LIE to them (as in the quest where you can pretend you avenged the tiefling's sisters just to get the reward.).

It looked so exotic and cool that I just needed to play it. Also, it was the first IE game I had ever played so it sure has a special spot in my heart.

How you guys, how did you get to know about it?

Comments

• themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited April 2017
    At my library they had D&D books, and one of my favorites for the art was the Planescape: Monstrous Compendium Appendix. That was my introduction to Planescape. I kept pretty good tabs on the D&D cRPG scene, so when Planescape:Torment was announced I was super excited. I can't remember if I saw it in a gaming magazine or saw the preview from Baldur's Gate or something (assuming it had one), but it was definitely one of the two. I'm pretty sure I got it close to launch as soon as I saw it on shelves in the store.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2017
    People here kept on talking about it. I don't think I paid it much heed until then. I also only basically had played Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate (without TOTSC) until GOG released the infinity engine games way back in 2010 (Baldur's Gate 2 didn't work on my computer when it first game out, and when I was pulling the DVD of Icewind Dale 2 out of its case for the first time it broke in half).

So yea anyways, for various reasons it took me awhile to getting around to playing it. Worth the wait though.

Edit: After writing this I realized I must have played Shadows of Amn at some point before I got it off GoG, since I remember playing it without ToB.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It was the video included in the original BG I CD... or was it BGII I don't actually remember which one it was...
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    In 2009 I picked up Draong Age Origins, my first RPG since pokemon red and blue back in the day, and became hooked. When I talked to my friends about the game they recommended I check out Bioware's back catalog of games, including Baldur's Gate.

By the time I got around to looking into BG, BG:EE was announced, so I decided to hold off buying it. But I heard there were other great RPGs made on the same engine, so I ended up picking up PS:T on GoG.

I made it about half way through the game when BG:EE came out, I decided to put PS:T on pause, but this ended up being a mistake. When I went back to PS:T I found the UI so bad compared to what I became used to with BG:EE that I never finished the game (I was fighting the UI instead of the enemies of the game). But now that PST:EE is here, I am looking forward to seeing how the story ends.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited April 2017
    I discovered the boxed game completely by chance when in a mall in France.
    I saw the TSR / Bioware / Black Isle logos, looked at the back, and instantly purchased it as back then, I had been hooked to baldur's gate pretty heavily :)

I did not regret buying that... and it's still part of my collection of boxed games, alongside BG1 and BG2 :)
  • MythrinnMythrinn Member Posts: 42

I remember watching this trailer over and over again in one of my game disks way back when.

Pretty sure it was from the original BG1 disks. I watched this same video many times over, but never got around to picking it up. Can't wait to finally see what all the hype is about.
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    I too remember the trailer. It was an entertaining watch, and I particularly remember Nodrom, but for some reason I never thought to play it. I suppose I played Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale back then because free copies were given out with my parents' PCs. Those alone were enough to blow the mind of a 10 year old, so I don't know what Torment would've done. A mean, there are a lot of themes there, not suitable for kids, haha.

It was a long time, and a long time hearing about how good the game was from the internet, that I finally got round to playing it.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Jidokwon said:

I hate to say it, but I first discovered it for less than $10 on a clearance shelf at Best Buy. It came in the same case as some PC game about vampires that I can't remember the name of.

Me too. I never played the other game, I think it was Soulbringer or something. I got it, I think, after I played the other IE games, but possibly before IWD2.

I knew of the game, like the Fallouts, from the old Black Isle message boards, but the graphics seemed worse than BG1 based on screenshots I had seen, so I had put off getting it until that Best Buy impulse purchase.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Year 2010, decided to buy it during my Erasmus year on GOG. Since then, never regretted it.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    BG1 was released at around the same time I got interested in D&D. (I was 15 years old). Back in the days I was an avid reader of print magazines - both PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World. I read a review of Baldur's Gate in PC Gamer and got it as a birthday gift. Soon after I got my first job and I believe Tales of the Sword Coast is my first "earned purchase" ever.

When Planescape came out, being a Dungeons and Dragons title with the Black Isle logo on it, it was an automatic buy. English is my second language and I missed much of the content on my first playthrough, but I was *fascinated*. It's one thing to read PC Gamer, it's another one entirely to experience Planescape's writing.

I still miss the good old days of print magazines, the suspense of expecting news once a month only, figuring out games on your own rather than googling for quest answers, and smelling the fresh ink off the magazine!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i read a very positive review in a pc magazine, where it was the game of the month
    the most specific criticism there was that it is "relatively short" :)
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    A blind purchase, when EB Games (Gamestop's Australian affiliate) was selling it for $5.
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291

Year 2010, decided to buy it during my Erasmus year on GOG. Since then, never regretted it.

You suposedly don't have time for video games during your Erasmus year. Unless you were in Lapland or something.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I bought my first own computer in 2002 at the age of 21. Before that I had only played on friends' or my brother's computers and spent my money on partying and other non-gaming activities. I then began to find, buy and play games that I had missed or that I never could fully try out because there were not enough gaming hours on another person's computer to play through certain games. So I probably played the game in 2002 or 3, don't remember. The good thing about playing older games was that they were much cheaper :D (which left a portion of the gold stack left for mead).
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    Saw the trailer for PST on my BG ToTSC disc back in '99, was like "I'm gonna buy this game. End of story." :smile:
  • Saber83Saber83 Member Posts: 94
    I had seen the same trailer mentioned earlier and had bought a Forgotten Realms bundle that was on sale, unfortunately - and not surprisingly in hindsight - no Planescape. It was only years later on GOG that I was able to get it. Never looked back.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Most of you have mentioned the ps:t trailer at bg1 installation as a relevant factor, but in my opinion that's a pretty weird video!
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    I saw the trailer in BG, as others did, but I couldn't wrap my head around it and so ignored it. A few months later, I saw it in a bargain bin at an OfficeMax and so said "Why not?" being deperate for another D&D game.

I remember spending the first 30 minutes so frustrated with the radial menu (very un-BG-like, and my itty bitty brain simply couldn't figure it out) -- I couldn't get *anything* to work -- and I almost gave up. I gave it one more chance... and it became my most favorite game, ever.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    weird comic book advertisements featuring an ugly blue guy looking confused lol