Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights 2 Enhanced Edition

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I tried mysteries of westgate, but I find the pacing way too slow, and I couldn't really get into it, is there anyone out there that really enjoyed it and if you did, how come?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    spacejaws said:

Remake Neverwinter Nights in IE like God intended :wink:

Amen!
    Sikorsky
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    sarevok57 said:

I tried mysteries of westgate, but I find the pacing way too slow, and I couldn't really get into it, is there anyone out there that really enjoyed it and if you did, how come?

I really liked MoW. I got a lot of play time out of it for a mere $10, and that it was a 3.5e game counted for a lot as I couldn't get enough of 3.5e crpgs. I hated NwN1 and loved NwN2, so MoW got points from me just for extending my time with NwN2.
    GreenWarlocksarevok57
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited April 2017
    sarevok57 said:

I thought it was a good low-mid level module, with no overpowered items overall. Coupled with many sidequests throughout the city and decent companions. There's also some kind arena in second or third area in the city, with a few fights I found hard, not sure if I did all of them. Both solo and party based if I recall hmm.

I can't remember the story being awkwardly paced, but maybe I'm not good at evaluating that shrug. It's not like it's that long though.

By comparison I actually think the OC is more awkwardly paced in the start. Act 1 is so bloody long and dull. The first parts before you get to Neverwinter are horrid and then there's all that jerking around with the orcs later on.
    sarevok57kanisatha
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @batoor - disagree, act 1 is sluggish in the middle!

MINOR SPOILERS

By the time we are heading to Old Owl Well, I'm ready to be closing out the act, but we're barely half way, and everything feels like make-work until the at that point. I still enjoy the OC though, but never had enough patience for the soul-eater mechanic to enjoy MotB.

The game really felt it was poised for one more, truly special, expansion with everything they had built, but sadly it all just stopped.
    Fardragon
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2017
    I would happily buy Mask of the Betrayer: Enhanced Edition, but that's about it – I never understood the draw of the rest of the NWN franchise. In terms of roleplaying, party interaction, character depth, and compelling narrative: BGII > Ps:T > Mask of the Betrayer > BGI > SoD > ToB > FIFA World Cup > anything else Neverwinter Nights.
    sarevok57DJKajuru
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Purudaya said:

I would happily buy Mask of the Betrayer: Enhanced Edition, but that's about it – I never understood the draw of the rest of the NWN franchise. In terms of roleplaying, party interaction, character depth, and compelling narrative: BGII > Ps:T > Mask of the Betrayer > BGI > SoD > ToB > FIFA World Cup > anything else Neverwinter Nights.

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA, that was great :)

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Purudaya said:

Everybody always misses the point about NWN. It was never about the single player. It was always about the multiplayer and the ability to host and create custom campaigns and modules using the toolset.

My favorite multiplayer modules were Darkwood, Realms of Netheria, and Battle of the Dragons.
    PurudayaGreenWarlockCvijeta
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Though of course, having a fine single-player game can be quite enjoyable too. After all, sometimes we just want to play alone. Or we're away from the internet for an extended period of time.
    ThacoBellGreenWarlockFardragon
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Purudaya said:

NWN1 was 3e at its prime, so in essence it was way different from BG and Torment: an elven paladin, mages who didn't have long robes pr pointy hats , gnome sorcerers and half orc barbarians... the stereotypes looked and felt lile a novelty, even though it lacked decent party interaction and such. On the other hand, NWN2 OC made little to effort to escape the fantasy clichés. It's a bland village, bland joinable npc's , even neverwinter was boring, and I think that aestheticaly it didn't look 3e - no spiky armors and helmets, no amazing multiclass combinations... I had enough of it when the dwarf fighter who dreamed of being a monk fulfilled his dream by having all his fighter levels converted to monk levels. I mean, come on, you could have turned him into the coolest multiclass in the game and once again they fall into clichés.
    It is not a bad game per si, but let's consider that there are a lot of fantasy games out there and it's important to make your game stand out, give it an identity.

Fardragon
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I think NWN's party interaction wasn't so bad. Grimgnaw was pretty cool and Sharwyn was a decent take on a bard. Also, there is an objectively right way to play NWN's OC and that is with a 14 WIS, CHA and 16 STR cleric with magic and animal domains. Monk or Druid are acceptable substitutes in HoTU. Just facts brah
    Cvijeta
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    This needs to exist!

But maybe with 5e rules.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

This needs to exist!

But maybe with 5e rules.

And a decent OC, a decent engine and good graphics.

In other words, be NWN3.
    DrakeICN
    Neverwinter survived the Spell Plague though. As Neverwinter shows.

Though I still wouldn't say no to a Neverwinter Nights 3.
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186
    Yes for NWN1, maybe for NWN2. I don't know if beamdog can match the quality of the NWN2 dialogue...

In particular the romances, NWN2 original campaign only had 2 choices but they were very high quality.
    WarChiefZeke
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    by the end NWN2 was bloated game. the toolset was cumbersome and the "fun" factor compared to NWN1 was lacking.

only good thing about NWN2 was the OC and MOTB which were superb. BUT if I was going to EE something it would have been the original NWN and pimp the graphics a bit.
    by the end of its life NWN1 had mountable horses, rng created dungeons, loads of classes and PRCs, plenty of other features.
    and it was fun.

NWN2 was severely lacking.
    WarChiefZekeDJKajuru
    ^^ Yup, when I think about making fun long-winded campaigns for players to enjoy, I want to do it in NWN1, not NWN2.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Teo_live said:

In particular the romances, NWN2 original campaign only had 2 choices but they were very high quality.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

You *liked* Elanee and Casavir?!

Not dissing your opinion btw, it just seems the entire NWN fandom wanted Neeshka and Bishop instead of these two.
    ThacoBellElysianEchoes
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186
    edited April 2017
    Kurona said:

Teo_live said:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

:p hehehe

Yeah a Neeshka romance option would have been great so many fanboys of hers. I just found something so romantic about overprotective Elanee stalking my protagonist (okay it's official I'm insane >.> )

NWN2 made me realize 1 or 2 excellent in-depth romances is much better than many half-baked subpar ones. I honestly think a big problem in the gaming industry is designers are trying to cater for everyone (especially now days with multiple female options, gay options and even bi options being considered the norm).

Designers need to stop replacing quality with quantity... :(
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Teo_live said:

Yeah a Neeshka romance option would have been great so many fanboys of hers. I just found something so romantic about overprotective Elanee stalking my protagonist (okay it's official I'm insane >.> )

This is the gender-inverted counterpart of Edward and Bella! Repent! Repent now!

Lol jk you can like whatever you want. I mean I love Saya no Uta so I'm not exactly in any position to judge.
    Teo_live said:

NWN2 made me realize 1 or 2 excellent in-depth romances is much better than many half-baked subpar ones. I honestly think a big problem in the gaming industry is designers are trying to cater for everyone (especially now days with multiple female options, gay options and even bi options being considered the norm).

Designers need to stop replacing quality with quantity... :(

See there I disagree with you. I found both Elanee and Casavir really bland and uninteresting and would have liked more choices instead. Like Bishop for instance. (Yeah bad boy appeal, validating stereotypes about my gender, I'm very ashamed u.u)

What I'm trying to say is, imagine both options being characters you don't like (let's say Qara and Grobnar - no one liked Qara, right? Right??) wouldn't you feel a tad annoyed?
    Teo_live
    Insert obligatory "what is love" question. We'll never have 100% completely satisfactory romance options because what people find interesting/boring differs so greatly.
    ThacoBell
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    All this talk of NWN has inspired me to boot up the toolset. Making a campaign was always on my to do list.
    ElysianEchoesKuronaGreenWarlock
    I'd forgotten how easy to use and intuitive the toolset of NWN really is. There really is no better engine out there for would-be DM's to share their ideas to many. Encounters scalable with level, nice looking environments and all the rest are very easily made.

Any Enhanced Edition that didn't release the toolset in the same fashion is no Enhanced Edition at all.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Frankly I'm not too bothered by any single player campaign. If it's good... great. But there's a lot of good single player games already and more on the way.

What I'm really looking for is the NWN multiplayer experience where we can adventure with friends on a persistent world server. Or even just on smaller community made adventures. The true spirit of DnD needs a digital platform.
    [Deleted User]
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Kurona said:

Teo_live said:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Not dissing your opinion btw, it just seems the entire NWN fandom wanted Neeshka and Bishop instead of these two.
    Wanted all four of them - dead.
    Not finishing the Neeshka romance was just cruel on the part of the devs. Every step of the way her behavior is clearly coming from a place of emotion with a male character, you come to entirely expect it, it's like all they did was just remove the wall scene. Not cool.
    ThacoBell
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Flashburn said:

Everybody always misses the point about NWN. It was never about the single player. It was always about the multiplayer and the ability to host and create custom campaigns and modules using the toolset.

My favorite multiplayer modules were Darkwood, Realms of Netheria, and Battle of the Dragons.

Exactly. It's like buying Minecraft and complaining that the "story" sucks.
    The official modules are just a sample of what you can do. It's why they implemented a more PnP accurate crafting system and gave you access to so many stuff, as well as more races/classes/spells/feats etc.

Only Mask of the Betrayer had the intention of making a great story and Mysteries of Westgate as well.

Online servers are still filled with dozens of people, capping many times and people are still creating modules for the games.
    I've talked to people online that never even touched the official campaigns and just bought NwN1/2 just to play online with others and friends.
    Flashburn