Skip to content

What was your worst defeat? (Survey #3)

Comments

• JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    Most humiliating has got to be lightening bolt... in a dungeon. I hate that spell lol
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    I REALLY hate the third battle with Melissan. Here's my party: CHARNAME (Level 26 Invoker), Keldorn (Level 22 Inquisitor), Valygar (Level 22 Stalker), Minsc (Level 23 Ranger), Anomen (Dual class 23 Cleric/7 Fighter), and Sarevok (Level 21 Fighter). I can't beat her. Everything just happens so fast that I can't keep up.
    What is a demi-lich, anyway?
    Also, something that wasn't a defeat, but it made the battle a whole lot harder: The mad wizard's quest in Abazigal's lair. One Gauth? Easy. Go down there. Ohh...THREE ELDER ORBS???
    Never mind. I have a new worst defeat. I was in the Windspear Hills dungeon and my rest got interrupted for the second time. By Shadow Fiends. I died after ten minutes of hearing "My weapon is faulty" and "My casting has been interrupted" and "I-I'm afraid I'm the needy one now. Help me, please."
    Or how about this: I was fighting the first lich in the Temple Ruins, along with his two Greater Mummies and Skeleton Warriors. Everyone but CHARNAME was dead and there were still two skeleton warriors and one or two of the mummies. And the lich.
    One skeleton warrior died from walking over the lava pit too much. The mummy(s), the other skeleton warrior, and the lich were killed with Turn Undead.

Thank goodness for Mass Raise Dead. It was an incredibly gratifying win, but my party was left in awful shape.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Why am I just now receiving notifications for this? The last post was 3 years ago! VANILAAAAAAAAA!
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    well...I was once killed by Neb. Yep. I kinda forgot it is SCS and he is a thief. My sorc entered like naked, no stonskin, nothig. and that little bastard critically backstabbed and killed me...one shot ...that little shit. No screens, even if I have I would have delete them.

In BGEE during the Xvart village extermination Minsc has critically missed 3 or 4 times in a row.

I immediatly kicked that fucking retard out from the party and recruited Shaar-Teel. ;PPPPPPP
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    ouch
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    Ooops - I just lost my entire party on the farm north of Wyrm's Crossing, the one infested by the zombies.
    Just because of a bad surprise added by a new mod to my EET game.
    I had killed all the zombies and claimed my reward and was leasurely strolling back south to leave the area.
    A female necromancer approached me and accused me that I had killed her zombie lovers. She and a Zombie Lord cast some spells, confused everybody and had my level 6-7 party eliminated in a minute.

After a reload and second attempt I found that those attackers were laughable opponents, they just caught me completely unaware in an area I thought I knew too well. I had not healed or rested my party after some recent battles thinking I could just finish that zombie quest before visiting Ulgoth's Beard.

It is the second or third of those unexpected buffs that adds re-enforcements to small battles I thought were just routine. I am warned now, I will start to move more carefully just like I did in my earlier days in BG1. I think they all come from the same mod due to their surprise factor. Just mind that I did that zombie farm about 100 times before and never got a scratch.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @PaulaMigrate What mod is that? Sounds quite interesting.
    edited June 2017
    Zaghoul said:

@PaulaMigrate What mod is that? Sounds quite interesting.

Not sure - maybe Unfinished Business?
    It *feels* like something is unlocked that was hidden before, e.g. in the other event Greywolf had two archers with him when he came for Prism, they stopped in some distance and started shooting arrows when the fight broke out. Since there was Isra (from her mod) nearby and she helped my side I thought it was from her mod, but later found it was not. Another candidate might be the Sandrah mod, it adds loads of stuff to *well-known* events throughout.

Edit
    I looked at the area script for the Zombie farm and I am a bit confused now
    IF
    Global("SanRabb","BG0400",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("SanRabb","BG0400",1)
    CreateCreature("rabbit01",[1765.3535],N) // Rabbit
    CreateCreature("rabbit",[1725.3505],N) // Rabbit
    END

IF
    Global("ZombiesDead","GLOBAL",21)
    Global("NTotSCSpawn","BG0400",0)
    Delay(12)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    CreateCreature("NTDXTER",[1273.3414],NNW) // Sister A Little
    CreateCreature("NTDXTER",[1264.3256],W) // Sister A Little
    CreateCreature("NTDXTER",[1707.3056],NWW) // Sister A Little
    CreateCreature("NTDXTER",[1555.2830],NNE) // Sister A Little
    CreateCreatureEffect("NTDXTER","",[1202.3062],S) // Sister A Little
    CreateCreature("NTDXTER",[1614.3263],SWW) // Sister A Little
    SetGlobal("NTotSCSpawn","BG0400",1)
    END

IF
    Global("HelpWenric","GLOBAL",1)
    IsValidForPartyDialog("CVSandr") // Sandrah
    Global("Zlord","BG0400",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    CreateCreature("CVZLord",[1955.121],NNW) // Zombie Lord
    SetGlobal("Zlord","BG0400",1)
    END

Looks to me as it is two mods doing something here, (again) Sandrah but also NTotSC. Which is strange, since I have played NTotSC in all my installs and never had this episode.
    Hmm, pretty sure it's not UB,never hit that encounter myself, must be one of the others like you mentioned. The old NTotSC is not bgee v2.0+ friendly though is it?
    Zaghoul said:

Hmm, pretty sure it's not UB,never hit that encounter myself, must be one of the others like you mentioned. The old NTotSC is not bgee v2.0+ friendly though is it?

I play EET and there is a compatible of BTotSC version for this.
    And meanwhile I found an older discussion at SHS that seems to confirm all of this is from the Sandrah Saga, it just was not there yet when I played that mod during the old BGT days.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    edited June 2017
    Definately forgetting about Shoal on a solo run.
    @sarevok57 Hehheh, good stuff. Well, it IS a combination of brothel and war pit for slave fights in the seedy part of town, black market guys all around in such might need a good buffet as well. ;)
  • SunderSunder Member Posts: 56
    I have only recently completed completed a full play through all the way to ToB, most play throughs end in the Under Dark or there abouts and I get restartitis. Had destroyed the elemental lich in the sewers earlier after completing the "Unseeing Eye" and decided I was finally ready to attempt the Kangaxx quest. Rested up and relaxed a bit at the Copper Coronet & then headed to the Bridge district. Figured after that I would wait for nightfall and sell off some stolen loot, including several gems that were beginning to weigh down my gem bag. Being to cheap to pay the Cowled Wizards for the pleasure to cast spells, I was planning to spell buff for the Elemental Lich once I was inside.....

Too bad I confused which one of the locked & trapped doors in annoying proximity to one another lead to his lair & which one lead to a certain group's extra-dimensional pocket. Never had actually even attempted this fight before as it was spoiled before I knew they were there & so avoided. Wow. Was a fun, if short, mad(not to mention futile) scrabble to attempt to survive & escape though. The power those 5 can unleash on an unprepared party is brutal- and I was in 2mil plus range as far as experience with a full party.
    edited June 2017
    Sunder said:

I have only recently completed completed a full play through all the way to ToB, most play throughs end in the Under Dark or there abouts and I get restartitis. Had destroyed the elemental lich in the sewers earlier after completing the "Unseeing Eye" and decided I was finally ready to attempt the Kangaxx quest. Rested up and relaxed a bit at the Copper Coronet & then headed to the Bridge district. Figured after that I would wait for nightfall and sell off some stolen loot, including several gems that were beginning to weigh down my gem bag. Being to cheap to pay the Cowled Wizards for the pleasure to cast spells, I was planning to spell buff for the Elemental Lich once I was inside.....

Too bad I confused which one of the locked & trapped doors in annoying proximity to one another lead to his lair & which one lead to a certain group's extra-dimensional pocket. Never had actually even attempted this fight before as it was spoiled before I knew they were there & so avoided. Wow. Was a fun, if short, mad(not to mention futile) scrabble to attempt to survive & escape though. The power those 5 can unleash on an unprepared party is brutal- and I was in 2mil plus range as far as experience with a full party.

That's the Twisted Rune hideout, from your description. The interesting thing is the mixture of oponents. Those battles are always challenging as you need to decide in which order you concentrate on them, how to occupy the others meanwhile and then find the individual way to destroy each of them.
    Somebody in this thread mentioned the enemy mix at the last seal in Watcher's Keep - this is its little brother. There used to be a mod in the old game that made it even harder, I forgot which one it was so I can't tell if its available for EE.
  • SunderSunder Member Posts: 56
    Oh yeah, it was the twisted rune......I was expecting to be in a room leading to stairs to one of the elemental liches, not confronted by that firepower. - completely unbuffed or prepared and having never dealt with them......it was not pretty, but one of the more memorable battles I have had in the game as well. Out of position and unprepared is no way to face that group for the 1st time.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @sarevok57 , Remind me never to piss you off.