Skip to content

Should i get a windows 8 or 10 if im going to play IWD/BG:EE

CrawlerCrawler Member Posts: 12
edited February 2018 in Off-Topic
My computer died, it was a windows 8 and I played IWD:EE and BG:EE on it right now I have to decide to either get a windows 8 or 10, I've heard rumours that a windows 10 is crap for playing games is that true? So please get in touch if you have a suggestion.
Post edited by Crawler on

Comments

• AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    What on earth is Windows 9
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I've never heard of a Windows 9, but I've found Windows 10 fairly tolerable for playing games.

I mean the worst thing I encountered was not being able to play GTA IV, and that was more a GFWL thing that got corrected.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Hmm I would say Win 10 is great for playing games. You don't even get dx12 on lower versions do you?
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Crawler said:

So please get in touch if you have a suggestion.

Well since there's no such thing as Windows 9, I'd suggest you go for Windows 10. Microsoft skipped a version and went straight from 8 to 10.

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I think a lot of the problems reported with windows 10 were the result of upgrading to it - resulting in conflicts with existing drivers etc. If you buy a computer with windows 10 installed I wouldn't expect any problems with the EEs.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The graphics drivers also were quite buggy when Windows 10 was released... I haven't had any problem with it for over a year.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Belanos said:

Crawler said:

Well since there's no such thing as Windows 9, I'd suggest you go for Windows 10. Microsoft skipped a version and went straight from 8 to 10.

I think they have gone 1, 2, 3, 3.5, 95, 98, NT, 2000, Longhorn, XP, 7, 8, 10.

It makes George Lucas' counting look rigidly Prussian by comparison.

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    tbone1 said:

Belanos said:

Crawler said:

I think they have gone 1, 2, 3, 3.5, 95, 98, NT, 2000, Longhorn, XP, 7, 8, 10.

It makes George Lucas' counting look rigidly Prussian by comparison.

It's far worse than that :wink: . Windows 2 came in 286 and 386 versions. Windows NT 3.1 was released shortly after Windows 3.1. Then came Windows NT 3.5, then Windows 95, then Windows NT 4.0, then WIndows 98, then Windows 2000, then Windows ME (Millennium Edition). Finally when Windows XP came out, it ended the insanity of the separate Windows 9x / NT lines. :tongue:
    @AstroBryGuy Oh, it's even worse than that! There was 3.1, 3.1.1, Windows for Workgroups, Unix Compatibilty versions (which included things like imposing their own syntax on regular expressions), the whole "object-oriented file system" business, ... I was happy to stick with supporting 8 versions of Unix from 10 manufacturers, thank you.

then Windows ME (Millennium Edition).

Dear God, after all the time and money I spent to forget that, you had to remind me. [Reaches for pill bin and number of a good hypnotist]
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    tbone1 said:

then Windows ME (Millennium Edition).

Dear God, after all the time and money I spent to forget that, you had to remind me. [Reaches for pill bin and number of a good hypnotist]
    Windows 98 was my nemesis. Man I hated that OS!
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    tbone1 said:

Longhorn

Now there's one I haven't seen mentioned for a while. I still have some of the early alpha and beta builds from Longhorn before it turned into Vista for the release. If people thought Vista was bad, they should be glad they never tried Longhorn.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Fun fact: I learned how to use a computer on Vista. Man, getting BG1 and 2 to work on it felt like winning the lottery.
    ThacoBell said:

Fun fact: I learned how to use a computer on Vista. Man, getting BG1 and 2 to work on it felt like winning the lottery.

Learned to use a computer on Vista? You're making me feel old. I learned on TRS-80s and Apple ][s.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320

Learned to use a computer on Vista? You're making me feel old. I learned on TRS-80s and Apple ][s.

My dad was head of maths at a large secondary school and he treated me one weekend somewhere around 1970 by taking me to the school to play a moon landing game on their new computer. Miniaturization of components was still in its early days then, so the computer was a huge machine - which probably added to the awe at being able to play games on it B).

ThacoBell said:

Yeah, our TRS-80s were, um, awesome. I swear, the cassette reader/writer was so slow that you could watch individual 1s and 0s moving through the wires.

ThacoBell said:

TRS 80, Apple 2 and TRS Color here, Then The ZX line, MSX, Amiga and finally Windows when I had no more alternatives :)
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Also missing from the list are various second editions for Win 95 and Win 98, if we wan to be completionist. Win98 SE was a really nice 16/32-bit OS. But don't trust me - I also liked Vista ;)

(skipped out on the 8 series entirely, finally got Win 10 at Christmas and mostly ignoring it in favor of my Macs)

ThacoBell said:

I'm not quite as young as that status would imply. Our family only had one computer and my dad took care of everything on it. I could use MSpaint and run games that he had already installed. Vista just happened to be the os of my first personal computer, so it was the first opportunity to fully learn how to use one.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited June 2017
    I started on TRS-80s too. I even remember the TRS-80 Color Computer being a big deal.

My second computer was an Apple ][, my third was a TI-99/4A, and my fourth was a Commodore 64. The first two I only used in school, the latter two I actually owned. My TI-99/4A had 4 kilobytes of RAM but I had a cartridge that increased that to 16 KB. So amazing.

Also, Windows 10 has given me no trouble with gaming, but it was a fresh install on a new PC.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Yeah my first OS was Atari 65 XE, somwhere around '92. Good times:)

I started on TRS-80s too. I even remember the TRS-80 Color Computer being a big deal.

Well, we had it tough. When I were a lad, we had an Apple I. We had to solder on the keyboard, no monitor, and the only game we had were checkers. Color? Luxury!

#FourYorkshiremen
    You all had it too easy...

mlnevese said:

You all had it too easy...

Doughnuts!?!?!?

tbone1 said:

ThacoBell said:

Yeah, our TRS-80s were, um, awesome. I swear, the cassette reader/writer was so slow that you could watch individual 1s and 0s moving through the wires.
    I remember! The program starts at counter 025, advance to the count, press play, wait for the program to load. So slow, but at the time, it was amazing, though.

Then we got an Apple ][+ with a Disk ][ drive... Whoa... :mrgreen:
    The oldest OS I can consciously recall is windows 95. I was 5 when it dropped.
    The joys of loading software from cassete players... All the waiting just to get an error message in the end :)
    When I worked at [a well-known space agency in the US] I worked with a couple people who went WAY back. They had taken early retirement then were offered a lot of money to come back to keep old equipment going. One day I was helping one guy scrounge for old parts in a warehouse and he showed me a machine with about 80 slider knobs and a big lever. I looked closely and the sliders could be set to an ASCII character. The big lever would punch out a card and reset the sliders. He said "That's how we programmed Mercury and Gemini and about half the Apollo missions."

tbone1 said:

When I worked at [a well-known space agency in the US] I worked with a couple people who went WAY back. They had taken early retirement then were offered a lot of money to come back to keep old equipment going. One day I was helping one guy scrounge for old parts in a warehouse and he showed me a machine with about 80 slider knobs and a big lever. I looked closely and the sliders could be set to an ASCII character. The big lever would punch out a card and reset the sliders. He said "That's how we programmed Mercury and Gemini and about half the Apollo missions."

That well known space agency of course was Area 51 :wink: