Skip to content

Mod Talk - Favorite & Best Mods

2»

Comments

• PausePause Member Posts: 40

Pause said:

So, with all the talk about mods people like and recommend, let me ask this. If a mod doesn't come with an uninstaller, how do we uninstall the mod? Is just removing the files enough? Such as a mod like XP Cap Remover?

Weidu mods install by a file called setup-Modname.exe. To uninstall a mod just use this a second time and you should get the uninstall action in the window that opens. Removing the file does nothing but corrupt your install. The uninstall process removes files from the game files and restores the backup of files the mod has changed. It also removes entries from a file named Weidu.log.
    Be cautious when uninstalling stuff. Mods are installed one after another in a sequence logged in the Weidu.log. To uninstall a mod that is somewhere in a sequence, the operation needs first to uninstall ALL mods that were installed behind it, then removes your selected mod and finally re-installs the remaining mods once again. This is only successful if the Weidu a) finds all the backup files and b) all mods were installed with Weidu. There are a few (big, older) mods that do extra operations (like biffing files) and those can cause problems.
    If in doubt, read the readme's or ask on a forum.

Finally, if a mod is not to your liking. there may be other options to restore your game besides uninstalling. e.g. if a mod is very early in the sequence. Your example with XPCap remover can also be undone by changing just one or two files that are affected. A corrupted spell for example can be easily repaired by just restoring a single file from the backup of the mod which changed it. Just ask if you run into a specific problem.
    I will ask if I have an issue, and thanks again. I didn't know there were so many mods for this game, so I started by installing basic mods, XP Cap Remover, one to allow respawn rates quicker, then I got into a big mod with the NPC Project and now the Lefreut's Enhanced UI. This is all I have installed so far, but will check out a lot of the others once I have played my mostly vanilla playthrough. I am familiar with install order because I have installed a lot of mods with TES games, but the main reason I asked this question is to know how to uninstall and reinstall to get the load order correct if I do install a ton of mods.
    CamDawg said:

Pause said:

So, with all the talk about mods people like and recommend, let me ask this. If a mod doesn't come with an uninstaller, how do we uninstall the mod? Is just removing the files enough? Such as a mod like XP Cap Remover?

Tweaks Anthology has an XP cap remover that can be uninstalled and covers a lot more stuff.
    I will definitely do this.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Pause if you need to uninstall all your mods depending on the launcher you use, re-verifying the game files will reset you to a clean install.
    PaulaMigratePauseRavenslight
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    ThacoBell said:

@Pause if you need to uninstall all your mods depending on the launcher you use, re-verifying the game files will reset you to a clean install.

This is a very useful hint. Sometimes the easier way if things get wrong with mod installations is to start from a fresh install. Trying to *repair* complex failed installations is often just waste of time and a new install is the better option.
    ThacoBellLoldrup

ThacoBell said:

This is a very useful hint. Sometimes the easier way if things get wrong with mod installations is to start from a fresh install. Trying to *repair* complex failed installations is often just waste of time and a new install is the better option.
    Ok, thanks for the tips, also, saves can be used on any install?
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Actually, you can run into trouble when trying to use an old save in a new install of the game. I personally would never recommend it. Having said that, if the new install uses the exact same list of mods as well as the same versions of those mods, then you should be ok… probably. :)

Honestly, it can be more trouble than it is worth trying to figure out what went wrong. I would recommend finishing your old game before starting a new setup with different mods. Also, in general, I don’t recommend trying to add new mods into an existing install if you want to continue playing your old saves. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.
    PauseThacoBell

Actually, you can run into trouble when trying to use an old save in a new install of the game. I personally would never recommend it. Having said that, if the new install uses the exact same list of mods as well as the same versions of those mods, then you should be ok… probably. :)

Honestly, it can be more trouble than it is worth trying to figure out what went wrong. I would recommend finishing your old game before starting a new setup with different mods. Also, in general, I don’t recommend trying to add new mods into an existing install if you want to continue playing your old saves. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Ok, I ran into issues like this when modding TES games too, thanks.
    Ravenslight
    edited June 2017
    Pause said:

Ok, I ran into issues like this when modding TES games too, thanks.
    *if the new install uses the exact same list of mods as well as the same versions of those mods*

this is the only way you could make old saves work, in all other cases you will get issues with the texts in the game (the famous dialog.tlk file). Just one entry that is different and all subsequent text (names, dialogues, item descriptions) will be off. If you really have the same install at the beginning of your sequence and add new stuff to the end, you are fine as well.
    You can add new mods to a running game but only under specific conditions. You can add mods that affect a later part of the game which you have not yet played. You can add NPCs depending on their dependency on game contents (e.g. if they need game events you have already passed, it's over for them). You can add graphical mods as their contents is not stored in the saves.
    You can do other things on top but you need to know exactly what is stored in the savegames and in which format. Some things (e.g. areas or creatures) are stored in the state you left them in game while scripts or items are just stored by their reference, i.e. if you change a script or item, the change will become effective as soon as you leave the game and start it anew while changes to areas only become visible if you have not already visited that area.
    PauseThacoBell
    edited June 2017
    Unless your game is broken (due to mod issues) or you just tested it, you should consider this when deciding on a new install and re-start:
    You will do the initial events of the game over and over again before you reach new ground. It may get boring after a while as if you never progress. Just play it further and explore it and keep all the things you may do on top for the next playthrough. The good thing about Baldur*s Gate is that you can by design take many different roads through the game. Play another character (gender, race, class) next time, take other companions, make other decisions (last time you sided with the thieves, next time side with Bodhi) and add other mods.
    Don't stuff too much into your first playthrough, it may get endless and tiring and confusing. Big installations are more targetted at players who have done a *lean* game before.
    Pause

Don't stuff too much into your first playthrough, it may get endless and tiring and confusing. Big installations are more targetted at players who have done a *lean* game before.

Yes, lol, this. I just entered the city of Baldur's Gate for the first time, and made my way to the thieves guild, and started a time sensitive quest. So I started going to all the sections of Baldur's Gate, and people kept coming up to me and I was starting new quests (also time sensitive) and I got overwhelmed, lol. So I reloaded an old save from right before I entered the thieves guild. But taking on too much in this game will definitely bog you down.

I can't believe how big Baldur's Gate really is. I mean, you see it on the map the entire game, but I had no clue.
    I have a quick question about the mod Quick Save Slots Tweak. Are there more hotkeys for the quick saves or do it still only use the Q button and save consecutive quick saves?
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Pause, my experience is that it just uses the Q hotkey and rotates through the quick save slots (1-4 based on your install selection). If you want a different key, you can reassign the key ingame (in Options/Gameplay/Hotkeys) if you want.

Gus
    Pause
    Gusinda said:

@Pause, my experience is that it just uses the Q hotkey and rotates through the quick save slots (1-4 based on your install selection). If you want a different key, you can reassign the key ingame (in Options/Gameplay/Hotkeys) if you want.

Gus

Hahaha, you taught me something new, I never saw that option before to be able to change the keys, thanks man.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Gusinda - er, what you're describing is surely just the default unmodded behaviour, no? @Pause was asking about a mod (although I can't answer his question about the mod).
    Pause
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254

Pause said:

@CamDawg @PaulaMigrate I enjoyed this discussion about this mod Ascension, it sounds interesting, but I think on my first playthrough I will stick to how the game was released. This mod sounds like it only affects the very last battle, does it do more than that?

This thread is not just about mods that add extra content, but all mods:

Content & Stories
    UI
    Tweaks
    NPC's
    Items & Weapons
    Bugfixes
    Kits & Class Changes
    Rebalances
    Portraits

Or anything else I haven't named. I basically am looking for everyone's favorite mods regardless of the category.

1. Ascension is more than the final battle. It also adds more contents to the final chapter of ToB including another path.
    Most important: When you fight the last five bhaalspawns and find out about the BIG deceit behind it all, you can persuade the *good* bhaalspawn, Balthazar who wants to stop Bhaal's return, to side with you. The battle is harder but you have an ally and there is one less opponent.

2. Aside from the NPC mods I have named earlier, there are some big contents adding mods I never play without
    - In BG1 part
    1. Dark Side of the Sword Coast
    2. Drizzt Saga
    3. Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (maybe only available for EET at the moment?)
    4. BGQE (a collection of smaller quests)
    5. The Grey Clan
    6. Siren's Call
    7. Unfinished Business
    8. The Stone of Askavar
    9. (Dark Horizon - if you restrain yourself to pick up dropped items from foe)
    10. still missing for EE is Secret of Bone Hill - it was announced for conversion some time ago but did not yet happen as far as I know
    - In BG2
    • Druid Grove Area Visual Makeover
    • Alternatives (allows additional choices to get to the Asylum aside from Thieves/Bodhi)
    • Adalon's Blood (to finish the skinner quest)
    • Southern Edge: the new district of Athkatla
    • Tower Of Deception
    • Afaaq, the Djinni Companion
    • DQ Questpack
    • Expanded Thief Stronghold
    • Tales of Anegh (high level adventure that triggers late in BG2 or can be delayed until ToB)
    • Region Of Terror (at this moment the EE conversion is still experimental)
    • The Darkest Day
    • Fishing for Trouble
    • Selected components from ATweaks and SCS
    • Romantic Encounters (My personal choice is the BG2 version, the BG1 version I omit)
    • Almateria's restauration
    • Chloe
    • Yasraena
    • Foundling (this is part of a larger mod *family* colours of infinity, this is the only one from it I personally choose, but I know the others have a large fan base, so it's probably just not my taste)
    • the various banter packs for BG2

- also in BG2 but affecting ToB
    • Ascension
    • Wheels of Prophesy
    • Longer Road
    • Illyos (not sure he is officially EE already)
    - Since I play the EET version of the game, I also use some mods that may not be available otherwise
    • Deep Gnomes (formerly part of Aurora Shoes and Boots)
    • SoD Banter Restauration
    • Northern Tales of the Sword Coast
    • The Sandrah Saga
    • Move Items to Irenicus Dungeon
    • Worldmap!!!!
    This is a very long list (and those are just my favourites), I have much more installed and I decide during game what I really use of it, e.g. which NPC I take along or which quest I follow. I always play my games from beginning to end, so I take as much as sensible in my install
    Druid grove/southern edge could you provide more info what these are?

I also didn't think darkest day was compatible with bg2ee
    Pause

Pause said:

@CamDawg @PaulaMigrate I enjoyed this discussion about this mod Ascension, it sounds interesting, but I think on my first playthrough I will stick to how the game was released. This mod sounds like it only affects the very last battle, does it do more than that?

This thread is not just about mods that add extra content, but all mods:

Content & Stories
    UI
    Tweaks
    NPC's
    Items & Weapons
    Bugfixes
    Kits & Class Changes
    Rebalances
    Portraits

Or anything else I haven't named. I basically am looking for everyone's favorite mods regardless of the category.

1. Ascension is more than the final battle. It also adds more contents to the final chapter of ToB including another path.
    Most important: When you fight the last five bhaalspawns and find out about the BIG deceit behind it all, you can persuade the *good* bhaalspawn, Balthazar who wants to stop Bhaal's return, to side with you. The battle is harder but you have an ally and there is one less opponent.

2. Aside from the NPC mods I have named earlier, there are some big contents adding mods I never play without
    - In BG1 part
    1. Dark Side of the Sword Coast
    2. Drizzt Saga
    3. Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (maybe only available for EET at the moment?)
    4. BGQE (a collection of smaller quests)
    5. The Grey Clan
    6. Siren's Call
    7. Unfinished Business
    8. The Stone of Askavar
    9. (Dark Horizon - if you restrain yourself to pick up dropped items from foe)
    10. still missing for EE is Secret of Bone Hill - it was announced for conversion some time ago but did not yet happen as far as I know
    - In BG2
    • Druid Grove Area Visual Makeover
    • Alternatives (allows additional choices to get to the Asylum aside from Thieves/Bodhi)
    • Adalon's Blood (to finish the skinner quest)
    • Southern Edge: the new district of Athkatla
    • Tower Of Deception
    • Afaaq, the Djinni Companion
    • DQ Questpack
    • Expanded Thief Stronghold
    • Tales of Anegh (high level adventure that triggers late in BG2 or can be delayed until ToB)
    • Region Of Terror (at this moment the EE conversion is still experimental)
    • The Darkest Day
    • Fishing for Trouble
    • Selected components from ATweaks and SCS
    • Romantic Encounters (My personal choice is the BG2 version, the BG1 version I omit)
    • Almateria's restauration
    • Chloe
    • Yasraena
    • Foundling (this is part of a larger mod *family* colours of infinity, this is the only one from it I personally choose, but I know the others have a large fan base, so it's probably just not my taste)
    • the various banter packs for BG2

- also in BG2 but affecting ToB
    • Ascension
    • Wheels of Prophesy
    • Longer Road
    • Illyos (not sure he is officially EE already)
    - Since I play the EET version of the game, I also use some mods that may not be available otherwise
    • Deep Gnomes (formerly part of Aurora Shoes and Boots)
    • SoD Banter Restauration
    • Northern Tales of the Sword Coast
    • The Sandrah Saga
    • Move Items to Irenicus Dungeon
    • Worldmap!!!!
    This is a very long list (and those are just my favourites), I have much more installed and I decide during game what I really use of it, e.g. which NPC I take along or which quest I follow. I always play my games from beginning to end, so I take as much as sensible in my install
    Druid grove/southern edge could you provide more info what these are?

I also didn't think darkest day was compatible with bg2ee
    Southern Edge adds a new quarter to Athkatla, shops, inns, merchants, quests and all
    http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1181-southern-edge/

Druid Grove is just a graphical improvement of that area
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62981/mod-druid-grove-makeover

TDD can be installed using TDDz, which allows to select modernised components from former TDD for install, more balanced, overpowered items replaced etc
    https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/TDDz
    Pause
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Gallowglass , @Pause - All good. Have the mod installed and resetting the quick save key in-game does the trick. Just tried to confirm and it rotates through named saves.

Gus
    Pause
    Gusinda said:

@Gallowglass , @Pause - All good. Have the mod installed and resetting the quick save key in-game does the trick. Just tried to confirm and it rotates through named saves.

Gus

Thanks man.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Hi @PaulaMigrate - now that BWS is not being looked after how would you download your mod list or best order as planning to do a mega mod run and wanted to try sandra saga but didnt work when I went through BWS
    brunardo said:

Hi @PaulaMigrate - now that BWS is not being looked after how would you download your mod list or best order as planning to do a mega mod run and wanted to try sandra saga but didnt work when I went through BWS

There is a new activity for BWS, things seem to have started again. Maybe wait a day or two and look here
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28740&page=10#entry253848
    Maybe it's a good idea to delay your new install for a couple of days anyhow because a lot of mods just get large updates if you look at other posts in G3 forum.
    brunardo
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm currently trying a new (for me) npc mod. Sirene so far seems to be very well done. A unique and interesting (but not overpowered) kit. An interesting conflict that doesn't seem to completely eclipse her other characteristics. Haven't finished the BG1 portion yet, but I'm really liking her so far. Note that she is a Paladin, and apparently some people can't stand Paladins.
    edited June 2017
    ThacoBell said:

I'm currently trying a new (for me) npc mod. Sirene so far seems to be very well done. A unique and interesting (but not overpowered) kit. An interesting conflict that doesn't seem to completely eclipse her other characteristics. Haven't finished the BG1 portion yet, but I'm really liking her so far. Note that she is a Paladin, and apparently some people can't stand Paladins.

Sirene is an excellent new mod, she also has SoD and BG2 content. (I can't stand paladins, but what makes her special is her dilemma to be a tiefling AND a follower of Illmater AND a paladin, which by the way is a problem for *normal* paladins). There is an interesting own thread for her. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42721/npc-mod-sirene-npc-for-bg-ee-and-bg-sod-v2-1-2/p1
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Thanks @PaulaMigrate and will hold off on BWS and still busy midway of my mod run. have the sirene mod on my current run but didnt think she fits in my evil party...maybe I should reconsider or save her for my paladin run next
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    brunardo said:

Thanks @PaulaMigrate and will hold off on BWS and still busy midway of my mod run. have the sirene mod on my current run but didnt think she fits in my evil party...maybe I should reconsider or save her for my paladin run next

You'll have to save her for the next run because I coded her to not join an evil-aligned PC.
    Zaghoul
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Sirene is an interesting character, but have not done 'at least' a neutral run in a bit. I do like how, unlike Ajantis, she says no to the 'evils' right out the gate.

@Artemius_I My gnome KNOWS you coded that in , dadburnit, but he still wants her company, just for a lil bit. He'll get round that though, eventually. Hmm, I wonder if a lil charm spell would work? :D:)

Really though, I do like her buffs she bestows on others, really beefs up the front-liners. :)

ThacoBell
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @Zaghoul

Nope, simple mind tricks won't work on her :) Actually the truth is I never thought of adding it in. Maybe something for me to consider, assuming I ever add more to the mod (I have enough on my hands already)

Changing your alignment for the recruiting process then changing it back works though. I didn't account for everything.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Darnit! There goes that little plan then. It might could be interesting, especially if she were to go along with something like that and then,well, even paladins can make themselves wait for the right moment at least once in a while. :*:)

The Shadow Adept ( by the above) is turning out to be one of the most interesting kit mods to date, revisions still ongoing but darned awesome. If one thinks they have their arcane spell plan down pat, this is a whole new ballgame, esp. for Shar lovers. B)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.