Skip to content

[MOD] Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options (for all EE games patched to v2.0 or higher)

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    So I've been trying out the 3e Sneak Attack now that it works. One problem is that whenever I land a sneak attack, the game displays String Reference 3033 in the combat window, probably because there is no Strref in either game for any of the 3e Sneak Attack and Crippling Strike stuff.

Once I got to 2d6 sneak attack and Crippling Strike 1, it started to display that same string a second time with a (1) afterward, most likely because it wants to display "Sneak Attack: Crippling Strike (1)" like it works in IWDEE. I can't find what exactly is calling this erroneous Strref.

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Yes, it looks like BG(2)EE assigned random strings to sneak attack / crippling strike messages. Fortunately many game strings have been externalized in v2.x patched games. I'll see what I can do.

New release: Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options v1.0

Changes:
    • Converted French readme to UTF-8
    • Fixed spelling in French translation
    • Updated WeiDU setup executable to v241 (stable)
    FlashburnGrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
  • NasherNasher Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 123
    Hi @argent77

I'm the official BG:EE Brazilian-Portuguese translator and I'd like to make a PTbr version of your mod. Can you send me the strings I need to translate in order to make that happen? Thanks.
    edited June 2017
    Certainly. More translations are always welcome. I'll PM you the strings.

New release: Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options v1.1

Changes:
    • Added Brazilian-Portuguese translation (thanks @Nasher )
    • Updated WeiDU setup executable to v242
    Flashburnbob_vengGrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    I do not have IWD. Can someone explain how the sneak attack works in BG? Does it replace backstabbing and is stealth required or only flanking/being behind the opponent? And does it work with ranged also, or only melee?
    JuliusBorisov
    From the IWD:EE manual:
    When sneak attacks are in effect, any time a Thief or Stalker attacks an opponent from a flank or rear position, they can do additional damage once (and only once) to that opponent. A sneak attack does not require the attacker to be hidden or moving silently in order to work (although these skills can help them get into position). Critical hits do not double sneak attack damage.

Successful sneak attacks also cripple opponents, reducing their to-hit and damage rolls. Creatures affected by these crippling strikes regain their normal to-hit and damage rolls one turn after being struck.

Sneak attacks and crippling strikes improve based on level and kit.
    I'm fairly certain that weapon requirements are the same as with classic backstabs.
    JuliusBorisovAerakar
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    Is backstab/sneak attack either/or? Do you lose backstab with sneak attack? Or can one choose per battle or opponent?
    Yes, it's a toggle. You can have either the one or the other. Each switch requires you to restart the game to take effect.
    AerakarJuliusBorisov

New release: Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options v1.2

Changes:
    • Marked mod as incompatible with EEUITweaks component "Hidden Game Options"
    AerakarJuliusBorisov

New release: Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options v1.3

Changes:
    • Added Polish translation (thanks @Cahir )
    JuliusBorisovAerakarCahir
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited September 2017
    I typically only use my own mods, but this one looks so very useful that I think I will have to apply it to all my games.

Ok, I just installed it. Good stuff! I am wondering if it would be possible for you to add the "Disable Cosmetic Attacks" option to this mod. I find that to be a very wonderful setting to have turned on.
    Tresset said:

I am wondering if it would be possible for you to add the "Disable Cosmetic Attacks" option to this mod. I find that to be a very wonderful setting to have turned on.

That one is already available in an unmodded game. Look for it under Options > Gameplay > Feedback > No Cosmetic Attacks.

Although it looks like this option is still missing in PSTEE. I'll see what I can do for this game.
    JuliusBorisovTresset
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Huh. Must have missed it. Thanks!
    JuliusBorisov
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited November 2017
    This mod must be installed last, right?

Can you confirm the console is toggleable? I mean, am I still required to hit "Ctrl+Space Bar" in order to spawn it?
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    Luke93 said:

This mod must be installed last, right?

Yes, it should be installed very late in the mod order, preferrably after all other UI mods.

Luke93 said:

Can you confirm the console is toggleable? I mean, am I still required to hit "Ctrl+Space Bar" in order to spawn it?

Yes, there is no change in this regard. Enabling the console via in-game option is equivalent to manually adding the line "SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')" to Baldur.lua. You have to restart the game after a change though, since options aren't picked up automatically by the game.
  • steakhutzeeesteakhutzeee Member Posts: 16
    Installing the mod in all of its parts i've to the end a series of "SKIPPING" in the console. Why this?
    That's normal behavior for a WeiDU mod. Mod components that are not needed are skipped, usually with an associated message that explains why they were skipped.
    This mod is already compatible with the IWD:EE 2.5 beta.

The "Install all" option will currently add a second "3E Sneak Attack" entry to the Gameplay section. It will be fixed in the next release. You can work around it by installing each option individually.
    FlashburnGrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    Hi @argent77 great stuff. This looks awesome.

Would it be possible to add the option to enable the old LoB xp bonus as well?
    I found two options related to the LoB (Nightmare) mode present in BG(2)EE and IWDEE:

1. Nightmare Bonus XP: Turns on/off XP bonus in LoB/HoF mode.
    2. Nightmare Bonus Gold: Don't know if this one actually works. I couldn't see any difference in my tests.

I'll add the first option to the mod. If anyone can figure out the second option, I'll add it as well.
    StummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • Garvin77Garvin77 Member Posts: 52
    Hey, guys! I think this mod might be causing problems with the 2.5 patch: I used to run the v2.5 beta with both @argent77's mod, here, and @AstroBryGuy's mod BGEE Levelled Spawns; when I did, I experienced frequent crashes, the last one of which I think may have permanently slowed-down my computer (it's a lot better now, but I think it might still be recovering). Without those mods installed, v2.5 runs flawlessly. Honestly, I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I think Beamdog said to let modders know of potential conflicts with update 2.5.
    This mod does only make changes to the UI layout file to add new options. Slowdowns would be limited to the Options screen. I haven't noticed any performance issues during my own test runs though (primarily IWD:EE, but also some quick tests in BGEE and BG2EE).
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Garvin77Garvin77 Member Posts: 52
    Well, I just had a crash last night with no mods installed (after having posted my previous comment, unfortunately), so I filed a bug report on suspicions of it being some new incompatibility issues with Intel HD Graphics cards/drivers, so the two mods I was using shouldn't be a problem. Thanks anyway!
    JuliusBorisov
    A quick outlook on what's coming with the next release.

1. With the release of patch 2.5 this mod will also be compatible with IWD:EE.

2. I have managed to add code that helps me to add slider controls to the UI. As a result you will see a frame rate slider as well as an option called "Action Feedback". The latter will show small icons around creatures which indicate their current action. The downside of using sliders is that I can't put scrollbars around them, so the number of controls is limited to the free space available on the UI screens.

3. There will also be several more checkbox options.

I plan to release it shortly after the official release of the game patches.
    JuliusBorisovAerakarFlashburn
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    amazing. can you give us a preview of the action feedback via screenshot?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    wow...so good

how about a generic icon for attacks though? sword icon for melee and bow icon for ranged, is that possible?