Skip to content

God I hate Hexxat (rant)

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
While waiting for Siege of Dragonspear, I started yet another run. This time an elven fighter/thief who starts off chaotic neutral and who ends up neutral evil after the helltrials. Got her through BG1, started BG2. I planned to have her take an evil party (as I very rarely do anything evil) and planned to see the Hexxat romance, because the only other time I took Hexxat I learned nothing about her.

Already she is making me angry. Ok, I solo her initial tomb. I say solo because Clara can't do much. That's fine. Hexxat murders Clara. Alright, I'll let that slide. She promised me treasure and selling the +2 dagger didn't even cover the expedition costs.

But then I get the cloak. Hexxat demands it back and...she still talks down to me? She gives me next to no information for it, doesn't pay me for it, and if I give it to her she then makes another demand of me. Just RPing it through the first time led to me killing her by demanding information/not kissing her ass. Had to reload and pick the 'right' way to get her into my party.

And she isn't even mechanically anything useful to have. Sure, she can't die...but she dies so fast that she isn't worth being a tank. Sure, she has Str20, but as a single class thief she can't even backstab for much damage and dies soon afterwords. Sure, she has Dex20, but that isn't even +1 AC. Right now she's shooting a shortbow in such a way that if she had a Mr. Meeseeks, she'd end up with a stake through her heart.

I'm trying to force myself to not just leave her out in the sun to replace her with someone halfway competent (even Cernd would be a better choice). The only things keeping her alive is (a) trying to experience the romance to see if it makes her more tolerable (b) the hilarity of having 2x thieves setting traps. With the ground rule that no metagaming allowed for trap placement, only using them when they make sense. But even with that, her personality and crap use makes not killing her so, so hard.
ThacoBelllolienBelgarathMTHsemiticgoddessAerakarsarevok57Nonnahswriter

Comments

• InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    I would recommend modding her via EE Enhanced NPC and/or Klatu fixes.

http://imgur.com/GzyU7ON

She is still NOT a frontline fighter that much but ehehheh a little more useful

http://imgur.com/AdL5E9A
    Grum
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Grum Wait, you are playing an elf?
    Grum
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I gave her a chance, and then I gave her another chance, and now I'm just letting her rot in her tomb each game. No thanks, I don't need the catalog of problems that comes with using her.
    VeshkaR
  • ArgyleArgyle Member Posts: 48
    I thought Clara was pretty interesting, too bad she had to die. She reminded me of those inmates in Spellhold who see other planar things, and thus could have been a really interesting character to fill that badly needed neutral thief role. Hexxat had a certain charm, but not enough for long term employment.
    [Deleted User]GrumislandkingGoogle_Calasade
    Argyle said:

I thought Clara was pretty interesting, too bad she had to die. She reminded me of those inmates in Spellhold who see other planar things, and thus could have been a really interesting character to fill that badly needed neutral thief role. Hexxat had a certain charm, but not enough for long term employment.

Many people think so, I'm sure a mod is in the works already if it hasn't been done yet.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201

Argyle said:

Many people think so, I'm sure a mod is in the works already if it hasn't been done yet.
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56877-mod-clara-the-mistshadow-bg2ee/?hl=clara

I think I saw another attempt as well but can't find it right now.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

Argyle said:

I was sure I saw it recently at Pocket Plane forums - something about contacting the initial writer and getting most of the files. But can not find it either :(
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

Argyle said:

I know @BCaesar and @Ratatoskr are working on a mod that gives you a playable Clara, too. I think she's initially scheduled to be part of their "All Things Mazzy" mod before they move on to an expanded Hexxat mod.
    MirandelThacoBell
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited June 2017
    Grum said:

ure, she has Str20, but as a single class thief she can't even backstab for much damage

how's that true? she can backstab for plenty damage.
    i played with hexxat til tob and didn't notice any problems. you should look at her "immortality" like it's a really powerful skill, not just some flavory quirk
    Arctodus
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i know that, in fact i've been writing similar replies to other people, but i'd never conclude based on that that it's not good backstab damage. a high multiplier and a good weapon such as the staff of striking is plenty of damage for SoA. i remember her doing something in the range of 60 damage
    Quartzsemiticgoddess
  • NikussNikuss Member Posts: 5
    I havent played with her, I only talked to her at the copper coronet. But during that short talk we had I made a decision not to ever have her in my party since she would end up annoying the hell out of me... Because of her appalling voice acting. The worst I have heard so far and I have played my fair share of shitty games.
    Nikuss said:

I havent played with her, I only talked to her at the copper coronet. But during that short talk we had I made a decision not to ever have her in my party since she would end up annoying the hell out of me... Because of her appalling voice acting. The worst I have heard so far and I have played my fair share of shitty games.

You never did her initial quest? Lets just say that her voice is like that for a reason.
    Raduziel
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I think Hexxat is underrated mechanically, but I did find her terribly cold.

And if you've read much of any lesbian literature, you know that heartfelt warmth is so much better. That deep emotional aspect is the best part, but Hexxat does not seem to have it.
    Grum
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

I think Hexxat is underrated mechanically, but I did find her terribly cold.

And if you've read much of any lesbian literature, you know that heartfelt warmth is so much better. That deep emotional aspect is the best part, but Hexxat does not seem to have it.

Yeah, but there is that whole ... not entirely human thing. So it sorta makes sense.
    Aerakarsarevok57
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Thief backstab damage is not supposed to multiply Strength bonus, as per the Player's Handbook:

The multiplier given in Table 30 applies to the amount of damage before modifiers for Strength or weapon bonuses are added. The weapon's standard damage is multiplied by the value given in Table 30. Then Strength and magical weapon bonuses are added.
    Good for us that Staff of Striking disagrees.
    tbone1
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Raduziel said:

Thief backstab damage is not supposed to multiply Strength bonus, as per the Player's Handbook:

The multiplier given in Table 30 applies to the amount of damage before modifiers for Strength or weapon bonuses are added. The weapon's standard damage is multiplied by the value given in Table 30. Then Strength and magical weapon bonuses are added.
    Good for us that Staff of Striking disagrees.
    Backstab is calculated as follows:
    (base weapon damage + PHYSICAL damage bonus from weapon enchantment + proficiency damage bonus + kit damage bonus + weapon style damage bonus + misc. damage bonuses via items or spells [Bless, Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise, etc.]) x multiplier + strength bonus = total; total doubled if critical.

That's why the Staff of Striking and Staff of the Ram are good for backstabs, because of that physical damage bonus from their enchantment (+9; +10/+12 respectively).
    AerakarRaduzielsemiticgoddess
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I found hexxat to be alright, the only time I brought her along was when I was doing an evil run I want to say a couple of years ago? I had all the evils on my team and main was that ever a pain in the ass attempting to make the reputation not garbage

first you lose 2 points for bringing in viconia

then I think you lose some for dorn? and dummy wants to go slaughter everyone off in the noble heart and lose more rep, and I was like holy crap fam, tone 'er down a bit there skid row

even after doing the circus tent and haegen quest for some easy rep points, I think I was still down to around 3 rep, and that's a little low for a beginning party in SoA

but then I think the game bugs out, and if your REP hits too low ( with at least dorn in your party im assuming ?) the cowled wizards don't come ever, even afterwards when I was ready to create genocide and have 1 REP, no cowled wizards, no centurians no nothin' ( which was kind of disappointing)

but the thing that annoyed me the most is that ALL the evil peeps (except viconia) want you to go run off and do their quest nonsense right away, and if you don't they get mad sort of thing ( and from what I recall dorn's and hexxat's quest isn't something that is exactly easy to do with a fresh team, especially if you don't have the right weaponry)

but once all the side quest garbage was done and organized, in the end I found hexxat to be adequate, just does what she has to do, and she is an option for evil teams

but then again I don't RP at all, and if anyone tries to set up a romance with me I tell them to go pound sand, so maybe that is why I don't get annoyed by certain NPCs
  • NikussNikuss Member Posts: 5
    ThacoBell said:

Nikuss said:

You never did her initial quest? Lets just say that her voice is like that for a reason.
    Yeah and its blatantly obvious... I dont even need to do her quest or read up on it to know why shes like that. But thats the problem, the voice acting is so horribly bad that I already know her story. I would expound upon it if I knew how to do that spoiler hidey thing :P
    Nikuss said:

But thats the problem, the voice acting is so horribly bad that I already know her story. I would expound upon it if I knew how to do that spoiler hidey thing :P

There's a sticky on how to hide spoilers, but to be fair, since this is a discussion involving the character's story why bother ;)

But yeah, that first meeting at the Copper Coronet is not what the character is about. Nor is her voice. To put it mildly.
    ThacoBell
    I don't like Hexxat, that is certainly not an uncommon opinion. But I don't dislike her because I think she is poorly written or implemented. I dislike for the same reason I dislike Anomen. I can't stand her personality. The one exception is I'm nor find of how the rest of the party is written when Hexxat speaks to them.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    I think Hexxat is OK, I used her in ToB and she was a nice change from Jan as a thief. But in SoA (like Dorn) her personality and quests are too difficult to stomach from an alignment point of view - she makes Edwin look like a saint.

I really don't like her ToB ending (non-romance) either where she essentially kills off Ubtao. He's a nice guy and really doesn't deserve that kind of treatment

I DO like Anomen, though, a lot, because he can develop in several different ways depending on when you acquire him in the game, and the decisions he makes. And that's cool.
    Quartz
  • inkblowoutinkblowout Member Posts: 49
    Hexxat wasn't too bad, her kit is okay but during the day she's kinda bad (because you know... vampires.)

I also didn't know that her bag could hold extra stuff. Now that's cool. The quest with clara was pretty good and the plot twist was actually quite enjoyable. But what I didn't like was the character itself... she's really bland, like I know she's supposed to be another meanie like viccy but at least viccy is interesting. She doesn't say much that interests me, (hell I would say Clara was more interesting, since because she had that mysterious vibe.) Even her biography was lame compared to others.

Overall she's meh really, She's a cool addition but she doesn't really offer much both in character and with her kit. Her bag is the only thing that's worthwhile.

Now only if you had to choose between Clara and Hexxat.... now that would be awesome :smile:
    AerakarQuartz
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Nikuss I've been super critical of Beamdog's additions and even I think you're jumping to conclusions too quickly.

I'll just go ahead and say it.

The "Hexxat" you initially meet is under mind control, and her voice acting is supposed to be shitty. The Hexxat you end up with is not even the same person, and while her voice acting is a manner of personal taste, I can confirm it is actual voice acting.
    ThacoBellAerakarArctodus
  • bdtgazobdtgazo Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2017
    I love Hexxat. Good thief, nice summons, can't die, great with speed boots, fire xbow, and some bonus thaco gear.

Plus I can RP justify giving my PC the vampire race and a bit of an upgrade, if I'm feeling evil. Vampire drow cleric/necro feels nice.

edit: also, sometimes its fun to play as an undead hunter or anti-vamp ranger who falls in love with her.
    AerakarArctodus
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Update: switched her to a throwing dagger. She is...not completely useless. Not good, but not useless.

Romance started. It feels like Charname is begging her for a relationship, and there is 0 buildup for the attraction.

Charname can tease Rasaad.
    Charname can flirt with Neera.
    Charname can be hit on aggressively by Dorn.

Each of those romances has a basis for the attraction. You learn about them. You talk with them. You flirt. Or in Dorn's case he is attracted by your power. There is something there that makes the relationship happen.

But with Hexxat it is like...why is Charname pursuing her so hard? Hexxat doesn't reciprocate. Why is Charname defending Hexxat from what's-her-name the quest cover? Why is Charname so sure they are good together?

It's just so...bland. I can't do it anymore. I'm abandoning the run and will see if I can just find her romance dialogue on YouTube.
    UnderstandMouseMagicThacoBellAerakarsemiticgoddess