Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited June 2017

I'd rather have a good 5th ed game.

Thank you!

Morale of the story: Let every employee backup everything at least thrice and let them store those copies at home. Also, keep the original data in a bank's save for at least 50 years. Seriously!

This is a bad idea. For multiple reasons. Even if it was a joke, it's a bad joke.
    mlnevese said:

That's exactly why many companies rely on cloud storage of their data... even if the company is physically destroyed the data will be stored in so many places that it'll be safe... unless everyone who knows the passwords die suddenly or if they stop paying the cloud services.

No, this is why companies have code repositories, which the company owns. You don't put your code up "in the cloud". That's silly. You put it on Github or Subversion or Perforce, and restrict access to it like crazy.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Repositories are nothing but specialized cloud storage.
    mlnevese said:

That's an over-simplistic way to look at it...
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    edited June 2017
    Wow so the source code is completely lost? I mean it's a 15 year old game, so I'm not entirely surprised.

I gotta ask though, is that a relatively common thing? I'm curious how many PSX and other old PC games have their source codes missing or gone.
    Post edited by TheGreatKhan on
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    Much too common unfortunately. Just look at StarCraft Remastered and Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy there the games had to be built pretty much from scratch.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

mlnevese said:

That's an over-simplistic way to look at it...
    We're very simple folk here.
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80

Wow so the source code is completely lost? I mean it's a 15 year old game, so I'm not entirely surprised.

I gotta ask though, is that a relatively common thing? I'm curious how many PSX and other old PC games have their source codes missing or gone.

IWD 2 happened extremely fast and it happened while Interplay was on fire so it doesn't surprise me a bit they didn't save the source code before interplay collapsed.

Our only hope of an EE is if they decide to reverse engineer it. IIRC I think they did that in Torment: EE on some things since they didn't get the full source for that game?
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Backing up data was not really a thing yet in the 90s and early 00s.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited July 2017
    To bad I was not employed at Black Isle then and there. Well, I didn't know shit 'bout programming and still don't. I read a course in it but I still couldn't figure it out, because computers are retards. I wrote the code clear as day and still the computer got it wrong. Also, I was like 15 yo at the time. And also, I live in Sweden so commuting would have been a pain.

However, I still have my math books from first grade in a box in the basement. There would be 15 copies of the source code, of which five would be on hard drives and CD:s at my home - regardless whether company policy allowed it or not - had I worked there.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I really am surprised to learn that more backups were not kept of such important files. I would think that anyone who had put so much work into something like this would have been concerned about the possibility of loosing that work. Surely computers weren’t that much more stable than what we have today. Even before computers were a thing they used carbon copies to make “backups”. :)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    It actually says a lot about the integrity of the employees that they did not copy anything when they left for other ventures.
    When iwd2 ip was transferred, that was the point in time when the backup should have been secured, not by individual employees in shady attics or basements...
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    As we say here: Real men don't take backup. But they do cry!
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    mlnevese said:

Come on people... the solution is simple. All we need is:

A Delorean

A Flux Capacitor

And a few 1990's 1GB Hard Drives

How about a Tardis?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

mlnevese said:

Come on people... the solution is simple. All we need is:

A Delorean

A Flux Capacitor

And a few 1990's 1GB Hard Drives

How about a Tardis?
    Well we'd have to wait for that alien to come to Earth and ask him for one.. at least the flux capacitor is Earth technology :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    demoix said:

I just came here to say all I want in this world is Neverwinter Nights 1/2: EE :smile:

How exactly do y'all think they're going to link up a NWN1/2 EE with all the existing Persistent Worlds? ...http://www.nwnlist.com/#
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited July 2017
    Why would they? I bet that all custom content would need to be updated either way. This was the case with the Infinity Engine EE's and non EE mods. And would be most likely the case with any Aurora EE's as well. Maybe they'd publish a "How To Do It Yourself" tutorial so that the communities are able to make their PW's compatible. But that's probably it. I wouldn't count on anything else officially on beamdog's side.

Why would they? I bet that all custom content would need to be updated either way. This was the case with the Infinity Engine EE's and non EE mods. And would be most likely the case with any Aurora EE's as well. Maybe they'd publish a "How To Do It Yourself" tutorial so that the communities are able to make their PW's compatible. But that's probably it. I wouldn't count on anything else officially on beamdog's side.

Yeah, ok... let's screw over thousands of players. Cool. If they're smart, Beamdog won't touch NWN1/2.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Yeah, ok... Cool.

You're welcome. :p

Yeah, ok... Cool.

You're welcome. :p

• batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    One advantage I could see from a possible nwn:ee1/2 is that the games are very modular and they can make their own campaign, set in ???? location and go from there. Free of any story restrictions they had with SoD.

But that's just me. I don't know how viable that is, but it's something I would be willing to spend money on.

Or whatever mysterious new 5th edition game, but if it ends up being the size of something like lets say... Half life 1: Blue shift, that would be a tad disappointing.

But it's all rather confusing how such a new game will turn out and it's all baseless speculation I know...

• dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Unless they have a team of 10-15 3D artists and animators to remake all the absolutely horrible looking 3D assets in NWN, then no thanks.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    I could not play nwn1 on my win10 laptop. Its fine on win7, though. I would love nwnee.
    Cvijeta said:

I could not play nwn1 on my win10 laptop. Its fine on win7, though. I would love nwnee.

GoG. GoG. Definitely need GoG. *Plays NWN1 GoG version on his Windows 10 desktp.*
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417

Cvijeta said:

GoG. GoG. Definitely need GoG. *Plays NWN1 GoG version on his Windows 10 desktp.*
    I own gog version. Still no luck.