Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    DrakeICN said:

If Beamdog do not intend to do the sensible thing and polish Arcanum, I vote for a Spell Jammer game. In 5E, why not? But just take the basic concepts of Spell Jammer and throw the rulebook in the rubbish bin where it belongs, take a dump on top, dip it in lava, and send it as toxic waste for disposal, storing it next to the nuclear waste and forget about it for the next 100 000 years.

I mean, just look at this forced, uninspired abomination of a hack job;
    https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spelljammer_Travel_(Spelljammer_Setting)

This is how you do it;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYIpiouDTXs

Bit confused, you sent a homebrew page for spelljammer? I imagine an official game wouldn't use someone else's homebrew stuff.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited July 2017
    Vallmyr said:

Bit confused, you sent a homebrew page for spelljammer? I imagine an official game wouldn't use someone else's homebrew stuff.

Spell jammer rule book is for AD&D. There are no spell jammer books for 5E. That page simply translates AD&D rules as they would look in 5E.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    DrakeICN said:

If Beamdog do not intend to do the sensible thing and polish Arcanum

That's sensible because?...

• SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited July 2017
    hmmm, now would we not be doing the sensible thing and polishing Arcanum instead, or is polishing Arcanum the sensible thing?

Also, wasn't there a speculation thread for stuff like this and this thread was more for "they said this today" kinda stuff?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    SethDavis said:

Also, wasn't there a speculation thread for stuff like this and this thread was more for "they said this today" kinda stuff?

After PST:EE had been confirmed, there was only "stuff like this" available ;)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited July 2017

After PST:EE had been confirmed, there was only "stuff like this" available ;)

what about the potential horse launcher?

/me does not know how to insert tweets
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    One of the Russian ones, of course :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384

DrakeICN said:

If Beamdog do not intend to do the sensible thing and polish Arcanum

That's sensible because?...

Sounds sensible to me. An Arcanum EE would be awesome. Or maybe Arcanum 2. :)
  • elmurdocelmurdoc Member Posts: 17

*reads the past titles of new beamdog staff, speculates about the current project*

Soon in stores: Mass Dragon Affect Age: Origins: Enhanced Crossover Edition!

The Collectors ascended on Thedas and allied themselves with the Darkspawn. It is now the Grey Warden's job to hijack a collector ship and find a working relay (powered by blood magic of course) to rediscover the lost Citadel. Which somehow got thrown into the Fade by the Maker.
    You may kidding about this, but i though about this soo much :smiley: , i dont know why but i always like crossovers, but for me instead about collectors will be a Reaper with the wild hunt too, you know we need some Geralt flavor :wink:
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Hopefully we don't get another Inquisition.
    ThacoBell said:

Another game with a quality main quest? Huh, yeah, let's hope we don't get that... /rollseyes
  • elmurdocelmurdoc Member Posts: 17

ThacoBell said:

Another game with a quality main quest? Huh, yeah, let's hope we don't get that... /rollseyes
    i prefer Origins, inquisition was a improve after DA2, but the main Villain was a little disappointed
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    lefreut said:

From the careers page on Beamdog site:

Ownership of an upcoming HTML5 based game

This tech choice seems strange for an IE-like game maybe it's a completely different type of game.
    Well, there was talk about Beamdog having the rights (or at least buying the website domain names) of Axis & Allies. And I vaguely seem to remember there were unfinished plans about an online game of sorts previously the release of SoD. So maybe it has something to do with that? *shrugs*
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

ThacoBell said:

Inquisition was unplayable crap.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

*reads the past titles of new beamdog staff, speculates about the current project*

Soon in stores: Mass Dragon Affect Age: Origins: Enhanced Crossover Edition!

The Collectors ascended on Thedas and allied themselves with the Darkspawn. It is now the Grey Warden's job to hijack a collector ship and find a working relay (powered by blood magic of course) to rediscover the lost Citadel. Which somehow got thrown into the Fade by the Maker.
    Where do I preorder this? :)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    ThacoBell said:

Great, now I have a Mel Brooks "big number" scene in my head.

The Inquisition (we're here in)
    The Inquisition (look out sin)

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    As I've said before, it should be perfectly possible to re-create IWD2 in the EE engine by manually re-creating the areas and quests and such. The source code may be unavailable (which is understandable; even backups will get lost if people aren't looking after them or just forget they were there after 15 years), but all the variables and dialogues and scripts and such are already accessible. The project would be a bit like creating an overhaul mod for one of the existing EE games, except most of the content already exists.

The question at that point would be, would people like IWD2 in a 2nd edition engine, and is Beamdog's skill set, cultivated based on the need to revamp existing source code, equally suited for a manual re-creation of IWD2?
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited July 2017
    Huh. I always though IWD2 could do with another format - more specifically, ported into the Forgotten Realmz: Demon Stone engine (this game is criminally underappreciated) + bettar graphics - and making it a main char with canon background game. (Like, maybe the main char is the prince / princess of some pirate king that needs to prove him / herself to his / her father, since they are just one child of many and as stands have no chance of getting any inheritance or something like that.) Other members of the six people fighting team would be recruitable characters. And then it would be 1 player game, but also 2-6 players jump in jump out game (automatically making the game more difficult whenever more people joins), where other players, both online and in the same couch, can play any of the five companions. When they drop out, the recruitable chars become computer controlled again.

Or, even better, people can make chars with level cap and gold cost cap for equipment depending on which chapter in the game you jump in, and when another player joins, the computer controlled companion is replaced with the player char, and when the player leaves, the player char is removed and back comes the computer char. Like the Mortal Kombat team fights where you can flip back and forth fighters.

And an even more fun twist, is if you can allow random online players control the bad guys! That way, the encounters always feel fresh, for you know not the tactics of random online players!

Much much much more action oriented, simply put. That would be a great game when you are getting drunk with friends and in need of a bit of entertainment.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

lefreut said:

From the careers page on Beamdog site:

Ownership of an upcoming HTML5 based game

This tech choice seems strange for an IE-like game maybe it's a completely different type of game.
    Well, there was talk about Beamdog having the rights (or at least buying the website domain names) of Axis & Allies. And I vaguely seem to remember there were unfinished plans about an online game of sorts previously the release of SoD. So maybe it has something to do with that? *shrugs*
    Man, I would so LOVE a new Axis & Allies game. Here's hoping they're working on something along those lines (in addition to the new 5th edition FR D&D game they've promised me, of course). :smiley:

The new hires announcement in the Beamblog is very interesting and exciting! Hope they introduce themselves on these forums at some point.

As I've said before, it should be perfectly possible to re-create IWD2 in the EE engine by manually re-creating the areas and quests and such.

Just because it's "possible" doesn't mean it's profitable. Beamdog is a small company, which doesn't have millions to sink into development.

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160

ThacoBell said:

Inquisition had its ups and downs. To each his own i guess. I was hyped about it at start, but i never got around to finish it.