Skip to content

Fighter: Intelligence or Wisdom?

Hi everyone,

I decided to start a new game with a basic fighter and I managed to get a high roll of 98 after twenty minutes of clicking. With Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, and Charisma all maxed out, I wasn't sure if I should put the rest into Intelligence or Wisdom.

Dual-Classing aside, I know that some conversations in BG2(EE) have options that come from high WIS scores, but I don't know if there are any that depend on high INT scores or if there's some other reason to have a high INT as a fighter.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    ^- What (s)he said. If you have no roleplaying reasons for either, go with INT for the above reasons.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    edited March 2017
    I seem to remember that the only wisdom check in the game (aside from wishing) can be easily fooled with a potion.

Already mentioned above it seems:)
    "Go to sleep @ wubble you're tired..."
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Try roleplaying it out though..e.g.:

Low INT = Never read the journal for quests....Randomise your quest choices.

Low Wis = Choose dialogue options at random....

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Only one semi-important dialogue checks for wisdom, which is with the Spectator beholder in Shaguin city. Other than that wisdom offers no real benefit to a pure fighter. Intelligence is very important when fighting mind flayers, though. A 3 int fighter will have a very difficult time surviving vs mindflayers, unless buffed with genius potions. Because no matter how ridiculously good your ac is, a critical will kill 3 int, AND mindflayers WILL get criticals, since they have so many attacks/round.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    It's a pity there aren't many more PST style...

In no-reload play Alesia (one of the best BG players) once suggested that having a good base Wisdom & Charisma (to get Balthazar ) is very important with Ascension.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Mantis37 said:

In no-reload play Alesia (one of the best BG players) once suggested that having a good base Wisdom & Charisma (to get Balthazar ) is very important with Ascension.

Thanks to @Harpagornis (shout out to @Alesia_BH ) we know the needed answers to get Balthazar:

"Charisma 19 + Reputation 20 was enough!

Here is the route that worked

2-2-3-2-1-1-1-3-3-1-1-2-1"

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/847595#Comment_847595
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    What hasn't been mentioned is that you need 9 intelligence to read a scroll. If you are soloing, that is quite important! For example you want to be able to read a scroll of protection from petrification in the basilisk area.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2017
    In SoD there is a lich from the Spectacle quest that requires a reasonably high Lore for you to challenge.

Higher the Wis/Int, higher the Lore.

When I'm playing a warrior I always save a potion of insight and a potion of genius for this moment. If it's not enough I drink a potion of mind focus too.
  • yhl533556yhl533556 Member Posts: 4
    just ctr+8,it‘s so easy。
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

The "dragonslayer" in one of the tents in Trademeet:
    Wilfred: Too bad I was by myself at the time. I could only gather as much gold as I could carry. Still, it was enough to make me plenty wealthy. Plus, it was a good deed, which is my forte.
    You don't look like someone who could single-handedly slay a dragon! What's the real story here? (Wisdom 15-16)
    I'm wise enough to see right through your story, Wilfred. You're lying. (Wisdom 17+)

When your character is so wise they know their own stats.