Skip to content

Aec'Letec

...as if the tower isn't punishing enough. I just got back to Ulgoth's Beard, some cultists greeted my paladin almost immediately. Fight ensues. Dagger is taken. The dwarf told me to retrieve it lest they release a powerful demon (Aec'letec).

I think to myself: how hard can it be? At least we're back to fighting mostly human guards and a few archers, maybe a mage or two. If you've done this before, you're probably laughing by now...

SO... can't be harmed by fire. Check. Slaughtering machine that will turn my party into zombies. Check. Magic immunity. Check.

If at all possible, I'd like to avoid spoilers, but please help me figure out how to deal with this guy. Please tell me there's a weakness of some sort.
DreadKhanAerakarNoobaccaOrlonKronsteenJuliusBorisov

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I believe he takes +2 or better weapons to hit, other than that he doesn't have much in the way of defenses. So buffing up some melee attacks can focus him down really quickly, but be careful of the zombie bit, I don't recall offhand a way to cure/prevent it. IMHO the main difficulty is the cultists with the demon, they have a nasty surprise if any are left alive when the demon dies...
    Aerakar
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited July 2017
    Big A is more savage than some BG2 demons with his undeath causing claws. I won by casting lots of webs to trap everyone and laying down suppressive magical arrow/bullet. fire and lots of wand and AOE spells.
    ThacoBellAerakarOrlonKronsteen
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    You can remove the death gaze with Dispel Magic. It also helps to have a cleric with Remove Paralysis so you can counter his paralysis ability.
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I soloed him with a rogue and an ungodly number of acid arrows. I hated that fight so, so much.
    Aerakar
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Potions of Mirroring will prevent the undead thing. Just drink them after he uses his start-battle-dispel-magic.

I can't remember if Protection from Evil prevents his attacks (as it should by P&P).

Oil of Speed for the Fighters, Strength of One (keep Minsc away when using it) and you're ready to go.

DreadKhanShikaoAerakar
  • VolatileVolatile Member Posts: 81
    edited July 2017
    I tried the potion of Mirrored Eyes but it doesn't seem to work. Protection from Petrification does.

He is immune to electricity and fire. Cold spells and magic missiles won't do much damage, either. He resists most of it, if not all of it.

So far, I've taken care of the cultists by buffing my paladin with everything I've got and sending him alone. At one time I did send Neera down the stairs to cast a few fireballs to get things going faster, but she wasn't much help.

Now Aec'letec is all alone downstairs, but the paladin is pretty hurt, I'm running out of healing potions, Jaheira is all out of healing spells. No protection from petrification spells or scrolls left, no potions, no heals, and my paladin can't solo him (even with a Storm Giant Strength potion).

Also, my paladin drank a Haste (Oil of Speed) potion earlier, it ran out, and now when he tries to drink another one it doesn't work for whatever reason. Maybe there's a timer of some sort?

This is the hardest quest I've seen in a video game in my entire life, I swear.
    OrlonKronsteen
    There's a way to make this battle way easier.

Sendo a Thief or Ranger in Stealth downstairs and get close to the wall. Start shooting the cultists and kill them one by one (they don't fight back for whatever reason) - just don't let the rune in the middle of the room get into your line of sight.

Half of the battle is done and not a single HP lost or potion used or spell casted.

Use your thief (if you went to Durlag's Tower I assume you have one, right?) to backstab the wizard that conjures the demon. She will trig a dialogue - escape upstairs as soon as it is finished.

Get in stealth again, go downstair and land another backstab. It should be enough to kill her.

Two-thirds of the battle is done and no resource was expended and no one got hurt.

Buff the meat-shields and go kill that bastard. You may even solo him with your paladin to make it more heroic. Potion of Freedom, of Heroism, Storm Giant, and Protection from Petrification.

Go get him, tiger.

Congratulations, you just ripped the demon apart.
    AerakarNoobaccaOrlonKronsteen
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Potion of Mirroring should work, but iirc its duration is short. I didn't think Prot from Petrification worked, so learned a thing!
    AerakarOrlonKronsteen
    It does work, but the duration is very short.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    10 rounds is not that short. It is necessary to kill all Aec'Letec's companions first, but with them dead it doesn't take long to finish her off if everyone attacks - particularly if buffs are used. You really only need your characters with the best armor to be protected from petrification anyway - arrows of dispelling are fine to save others from zombification.
    AerakarOrlonKronsteen
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    edited July 2017
    I have found that potions against the gaze attacks - sold conveniently in the nearby tavern - and mass bombing the cultists makes this battle much easier. Someone needs to be buffed up to hold off the demon but agree with @Grond0, get the priests all out of the way before tackling the demon.

As @Raduziel points out, a (quarterstaff) backstabbing thief really shines in this encounter if you micro-manage him. Also conveniently that wonderful +3 quarterstaff is for sale in the same nearby tavern, or use the staff of striking from your Durlag's adventure to backstab the demon.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    I used Hide-Backstab-run (with Oil of Speed/Boots of Speed)-Hide tactic on both, Demonknight and Aec'Letec
    Aerakar
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Volatile

I do feel sorry for you, post here saying you didn't like Durlags much and you get swamped by people telling you it's the best dungeon ever (including me).

Leave that nightmare behind and run into Aec Latec.

As has been pointed out, you have to kill all the cultists first so you only have to deal with one Aec Latec. Which you have managed to do.

Pretty sure you can go for a rest, he doesn't go anywhere.

The "oil of speed" issue, some of the potions are bogus. Look at the discriptions, if it says in the discription they have a "murky", "strange" colour they are fakes. And just make you drunk.

AL weaknesses, he doesn't see you if you cast AOE from out of sight which you can do from the corners/sides of the room.

Cloudkill works, not well he has a lot of resistance. But cast a few and they will do some damage and he doesn't heal. More importantly it's free damage, nobody is risking anything while inflicting it or using potions. But get the distances right so the caster stays out of sight.

Then I'm afraid it's just rush in mob handed as people have said with at least the frontliners protected.
    Aerakar
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited July 2017
    First time in a BGT installation years ago I really struggled with him as well. I had a frustrating amount of reloads and then I can't remember where, but I was reading some stuff on how to take him down and someone mentioned Ozilukes resilient sphere. After that he was a piece of cake, when the imprisonment expired. This was pre-EE, but if it still works you might try it, although it's a very cheap method.

Nowadays it's mostly just potions of mirroring and making sure I split my party up so death gaze doesn't hit everyone..Then I kite him around a little, while my other party members kill the cultists.
    Aerakar
    edited July 2017
    If you're using Rogue Rebalancing Mod, there's an item that protects against gaze attacks which is very useful when you're facing Aec'Letec and basilisks.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    OrlonKronsteenDreadKhanAerakarZaghoul
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Volatile said:

I tried the potion of Mirrored Eyes but it doesn't seem to work. Protection from Petrification does.

Actually, the reverse is true. The potions work, but the spell does not for some strange reason. The key for me has been taking out the cultists as fast as I can, with cloudkill, fireballs, skull traps, etc... while distracting the active demon until everything else is gone. But definitely a brutal fight. I rarely bother with it anymore, but I'm glad that it's there for those times when I'm up for a challenge.

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Yeah Aec'Lectec is a pain, but at least he's only tough and not tedious like all the puzzles in Durlag's Tower. You'll figure it out. Took me ages too.

I still have a harder time with the Fire Giants in TOB than anything else though....except for those two skeleton warriors in the Thief Maze, I've never been able to beat them without cheese.
    Shikao
    Kagain and I I just took him out without taking damage using the mirror potions, invisibility potions, and my commando bounty hunter back-smacking with a staff of striking. I snuck in early and took out some of the guards and laid traps before addressing the priestess. The potions were fine until he dispels then (so have back-up!). I used up 1/2 of a necklace of missiles.

If you use the RR mode - mentioned above - the hood offers the same protection and is permanent.

Now off to the Ducal Palace and then in to SoD!
    Grond0OrlonKronsteen
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    he's a lot harder now that I can't run down the stairs. Cast a few cloud spells and run back upstairs to let them tick off for a bit. I've always considered that a valid tactic against the group of cultists that are stuck in place by the ritual of the summoning. Even if it is a bit cheesy. Probably one of the few times I use such cheesy tactics. but it is what it is.
    Aerakar
    I have taken him down many times with a party, w/o a party, head-on, kiting, etc. so doing it without any damage is a new challenge, at least it was for me!
  • FoxterFoxter Member Posts: 20
    Since I finish the Tales of the sword coast before getting to Baldur Gate, here are a few tips:

Protection Tips:

Potion of free movement for all the party except for the one holding the Free Movement ring.

Potion of Mirroring eyes against gaze ghoul turning attack for all the team (you have to move fast before it expires).

Attack enhancers:

Potion of strength (until you get to Baldurs Gate, Cloud giant potion is the best standard strength potion)

Heroic Potion

You can also use Protection from Magic scrolls if you want immunity to everything but is claws.

Now, to make the fight more fair, you can also equip one of you characters with a Greater Malison scroll and some Wand(s) of paralysation and use the wand(s) until Aec is affected by it (them). Then you can proceed to fully focus on his allies.

After his allies are dead you can finish him.

The Demon knight is actually a lot more troublesome that Aec, if you come well prepared for Aec.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    Shikao
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Yulaw9460 said:

If it hasn't been rectified in the EE...

In the ol' days Aec'Letec was pretty easy to cheese to death, so to speak. He had a glaring weakness, from what I seem to remember. Cloudkill wasted him instantly.
    This has been fixed, yes--in the original he was set to 1 HD.
    DreadKhanAndreaColomboThacoBellAerakar
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Does it mean he was also vulnerable to
    sleep?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    In original BG, yes, with the caveat he's got great saves and 50% magic resistance. Cloudkill worked because the insta-kill for sub-5 HD creatures has no save, though you still had to get lucky with the MR.
    AndreaColomboAerakarArtona
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    mmm... not sure whether I remember this correctly, as last I did this fight couple of months ago. But if memory serves me right, after couple of tries i realized that he gets weaker (or at least it seemed so) when more cultists were dead. I was able to fireball majority of cultists and hurt the demon a bit (or maybe not). Then after all of the cultists were dead, i got up stairs, dropped bless, mass haste, chant, defensive harmony, stone skins, pretty much everything the casters had, in addition to some potions of heroism, strength and alike. The over-buff allowed me to just steam-roll over the darn demon and send him back to the place he came from.

Now, i know this is a bit cheesy - using stairs. But I tried doing it again with all pre-buffs n stuff before killing cultists. This approach worked as well, but it took some tries because of the death gaze the demon has. He was able to F me quite a few times. Nonetheless this tactic seemed to work.

TL:DR - killing off all the cultists helps a bunch.
    Aerakar
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291

Actually, the reverse is true. The potions work, but the spell does not for some strange reason.

Could you file this as a bug?
    We'd better get it mentioned to the devs before the last patch comes out.

http://support.baldursgate.com/projects/bg-ee-bugs/issues
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Potions of Magic Shielding are quite useful here, and last 3 turns. I usually save a few just for this guy.
    OrlonKronsteen