Skip to content

How do you pronounce "Charname"?

I have always thought of it as "Tjahr-name" but since "Char" is short for "Character", should it be pronounced "Care-name" or "Karr-name"?
JuliusBorisovButtercheeseStummvonBordwehr

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Using phonetic writing from dictionary.com—

I used to pronounce it "chahr-neym" ("chahr" as in "charred") too but later moved to "kahr-neym" ("kahr" as in "car") precisely because I figured the "Char-" part was short for "character".

JuliusBorisovMontresor_SPrede9
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

But it's not *Charname* but <CHARNAME> and a token that is never pronounced but when spoken is replaced by the name you have given your protagonist - however that is pronounced...

"Charname" is used in the forums all the time to refer generically to the BG protagonist. I'm sure that's the usage the OP was referring to.
    JuliusBorisovMontresor_SPsemiticgoddess
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

I have always thought of it as "Tjahr-name" but since "Char" is short for "Character", should it be pronounced "Care-name" or "Karr-name"?

I'd say your first version is the right one. Acronym or not, the word reads like that. Check it out http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisov

If your character is elf why not call him Kahr-neym. (It's elvish for *protagonist*)

I'm so doing this.
    Montresor_SPtbone1JuliusBorisov
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I say it as care-name, though I say I am more partial to INSERT NAME HERE.
    ThacoBellMontresor_SPtbone1JuliusBorisov
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766

"chahr-neym" ("chahr" as in "charred")

That's how I say it and y'all can pry that pronounciation from my cold, dead hands.
    JuliusBorisovMontresor_SPArdanisNonnahswriter
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    A variation I saw once that I liked and still use is "Shar-NAH-mee". It makes it sound more like a person's name than a computer program string.
    Montresor_SPtmaso
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Why are people spelling "name" as "neym" to illustrate how they pronounce "name"?

It's a "magic E" word, the "E" means you say the name of the vowel before the constanant which the E follows and don't pronounce the E.

name
    meme
    time
    home
    tune
    Montresor_SPThacoBellluskan
    edited July 2017
    EDIT: nvm.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Why are people spelling "name" as "neym" to illustrate how they pronounce "name"?

It's a "magic E" word, the "E" means you say the name of the vowel before the constanant which the E follows and don't pronounce the E.

name
    meme
    time
    home
    tune

Because they think it makes them sound impotent.

Sorry, important.
    Montresor_SP
    edited July 2017
    English drifted wildly after 1066, so often you could get the spelling from Yorkshire and the pronunciation from, say, Norfolk.

For example: the chough ploughed through the thoroughly rough cough at the lough.

(or, phonetically)

The chuff plowed thru the therowly ruff coff at the lokh
    Montresor_SPButtercheese
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited July 2017
    Not to mention the pointless faux-Latinisms like the b in "doubt". Which we got from the French "doute", by the way, but no, that wasn't close enough to the Latin "dubitare", so we had a pointless silent b in there because of course we did.

Anyway, I pronounce it "care-name". As in "character name". Because I guess I'm uncreative?
    ButtercheeseMontresor_SPtbone1
    For the record, I pronounce it "car-name" (the hyphen is silent). Why? Because.

My favorite English inconsistency is the surname Featherstonehaugh; in England, it has four different pronunciations, including "Fanshaw".
    JarrakulMontresor_SP
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    "me-puppet"
    JumboWheat01Montresor_SPtbone1
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    As "charm-name" without the "m".

"chahr-neym" ("chahr" as in "charred")

That's how I say it and y'all can pry that pronounciation from my cold, dead hands.
    I wanted to improvise on UBW chant about the Nameless' hands that will never be cold and dead, but it just didn't rhyme with the rest of the chant... Shame on me :#
    Montresor_SP
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Seeing as I'm pretty sure it's a short form of character name, I pronounce it rather like 'care', as I'd say 'care -ack-ter' for character.
    Montresor_SPSkatan
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    "Character Name"

Just like "etc." Is pronounced et cetera and misc. is pronounced miscellaneous.
    Montresor_SP
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    For 'misc' I say missk.
    Montresor_SPAndreaColombo
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    As long as you don't accidentally say Minsc. I'm sure Boo would not take kindly to that.
    Montresor_SPtbone1
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766

accidentally say Minsc

That happens to me far more often than I'd like to admit.
    tbone1Montresor_SPThacoBellNonnahswriter
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    CHARNAME is pronounced Charr-Neighm
    Misc. is pronounced Misk
    THAC0 is pronounced Thako
    Lbs. is pronounced Ibbs
    Montresor_SPdeltagoChnapy
    "Politician" is pronounced "Wayne Kerr".
    Montresor_SPThacoBell